Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
Yeah I've been letting them rest overnight but I guess I should keep them in open containers from now on! The store-bought "freshly made" marshmallows are all in closed containers though, I guess they put in extra stabilizers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PezMaster
Nov 15, 2006

Though they won't admit it, women were much happier when all they had to do was bake shit and pump out babies.

jomiel posted:

Yeah I've been letting them rest overnight but I guess I should keep them in open containers from now on! The store-bought "freshly made" marshmallows are all in closed containers though, I guess they put in extra stabilizers?
Yep, store bought ones have tetrasodium pyrophosphate - it thickens, emulsifies, and stabilizes. Hope the open container works for you and your delicious delicious marshmallows!

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
I don't have problems with homemade marshmallows sweating and I keep them in airtight containers. If I left them open they would dry out.

Basic recipe I use is:

Mix:

4 envelopes plain gelatin (a box of Knox)
3/4 cup water (can replace some of this with other flavoring like a fruit puree)
2 tsp extract (whatever you are flavoring with)

Syrup:

650 grams sugar
250 grams corn syrup
3/4 cup water
1/4 teaspoon salt

Cook syrup to 240, beat into the gelatin mixture, and whip about 10 minutes. Pour into prepared pan, let set for 8-12 hours. Cut and generously coat them with a mixture of half powdered sugar, half starch (I usually use potato starch).

Fight Club
Jul 12, 2001
I am a shitty rip off of Patrick Bateman.

jomiel posted:

I have a candy question but cannot find our old candy thread:

I've been making marshmallows (from the Marshmallow Madness book) and they seem to keep sweating through the day after they've set. Is it because my office is really warm?? Or homemade marshmallows just have this tendency so I should coat it with even more sugar/cornstarch? Or I should let the marshmallows rest a few hours after I've cut them up and coat them?

this is what it looks like after a few hours :ohdear:

Woah, I've never seen homemade marshmallows do that! Is there anything unusual in them? My recipe is almost the same as mich, and I've also never had a problem in airtight containers (and I live in a rainy climate).

Do you cut after they've rested overnight? Are you sure you're hitting the right temp on your sugar mixture? Maybe they're just too wet to start with?

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

Unsure if it strictly counts as a cake, but I made my first Pavlova ever for easter lunch. It turned out really well but it was especially hard to cut and serve, the whipped cream was sliding all over the place.

But it was very pretty until we tried to cut it. It tasted delicious even squashed though.

Indentured Servant
Aug 31, 2008

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

Pavlova

I made one last week and had the same problem. I wonder if you can shape it so that there's a cavity in the middle to place the whipped cream?

breakfall87
Apr 22, 2004
ABunch7587's little bitch

jomiel posted:

I've been making marshmallows (from the Marshmallow Madness book) and they seem to keep sweating through the day after they've set. Is it because my office is really warm?? Or homemade marshmallows just have this tendency so I should coat it with even more sugar/cornstarch? Or I should let the marshmallows rest a few hours after I've cut them up and coat them?

I make significant amounts of fresh marshmallows as a pastry chef, and I have never encountered this problem. I pour the mallow into whatever container I am using, then wrap the whole thing up. The next day I pour what is called "Snow" sugar all over it. It does essentially the same thing that cornstarch and powdered sugar, but it has the added ability to repel water as opposed to absorb it. For instance, if you make a fruit tart and sprinkle powdered sugar on it, it will melt away in a couple of hours. If you put snow sugar on there, you will still see just as much white powder as you put on days later.

It also tastes worlds better than the cornstarch/10X mix.

Christabel
Apr 18, 2003

The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.

Indentured Servant posted:

I made one last week and had the same problem. I wonder if you can shape it so that there's a cavity in the middle to place the whipped cream?

Nigella Lawson recommends flipping the cooked pavlova over and putting the cream on the bottom. This gives it a bottom "crust" and the soft pavlova will sink a little allowing for more whipped cream to be piled on.

yoshesque
Dec 19, 2010

I've always shaped my pavlovas with a slight depression for the cream. It's not like anyone is going to see it.

JibbaJabberwocky
Aug 14, 2010

It wasn't goopy or falling apart until we cut into it to serve, and then it just completely fell apart. I did make the rim of the meringue high to keep it all in and that worked well, but it was impossible to cut cake slices because poo poo just started falling all over the place.

I made the whipped cream myself, so maybe next time I should make it thicker if possible, so it would have the consistency of store-bought whipped cream. Any ideas on making whipped cream thick but not overwhipped?

I'm also considering making small, personalized pavlovas so it just falls apart on your plate.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
totally going to make pavlova soon

Possible that my sugar isn't cooked quite to 240F, I've been using the instant thermometer instead of the candy thermometer because I am lazy. Will try again and see if that's the problem, then check some of the other suggestions out. Thanks guys!

sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!
I made a Coconut-Chocolate Bundt Cake with Coconut Porter:

I managed to forget 1/2 the cocoa powder because I don't know how to pay attention. This led to me questioning whether I even liked the cake. After I single-handedly ate 1/2 of it, I decided I should probably admit that I did indeed like it.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

sharkattack posted:

I made a Coconut-Chocolate Bundt Cake with Coconut Porter:

I managed to forget 1/2 the cocoa powder because I don't know how to pay attention. This led to me questioning whether I even liked the cake. After I single-handedly ate 1/2 of it, I decided I should probably admit that I did indeed like it.

Recipe, please! What brand of porter did you use?

sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!

Rabbit Hill posted:

Recipe, please! What brand of porter did you use?

Sure, http://www.spachethespatula.com/salted-coconut-chocolate-bundt-cake/

I used the Coconut Porter from the Maui Brewing Company

clarabelle
Apr 9, 2009
Oh the awkwardness of asking restaurant staff to keep the homemade birthday cake in the kitchen and bring it out after the meal (we asked beforehand and let them keep a quarter of it, so it was cool) and then having them ask you to explain the "weird bear" on the cake

(A friend asked for a pedobear cake for his birthday, I delivered. The restaurant staff were very confused)

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

It wasn't goopy or falling apart until we cut into it to serve, and then it just completely fell apart. I did make the rim of the meringue high to keep it all in and that worked well, but it was impossible to cut cake slices because poo poo just started falling all over the place.

I made the whipped cream myself, so maybe next time I should make it thicker if possible, so it would have the consistency of store-bought whipped cream. Any ideas on making whipped cream thick but not overwhipped?

I'm also considering making small, personalized pavlovas so it just falls apart on your plate.

That's my experience with most pavlovas to be honest. It's part of the goodness; a pile of sticky, sweet goop with cream and fruit, and bits of crunchy meringue mixed in.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

It may not be the prettiest cake (especially after being torn into by 20 drunk people), but tres leches is about the most delicious thing ever.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
Finally made Flash Gordon Ramsey's cheesecake:

I packed the crust way too tight, had to stab the crust with a fork to eat it. I was afraid the crust would disintegrate :ohdear:

Also forgot to post the genoise from Rose's Heavenly Cake's book:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

jomiel posted:

Finally made Flash Gordon Ramsey's cheesecake:

I packed the crust way too tight, had to stab the crust with a fork to eat it. I was afraid the crust would disintegrate :ohdear:

Oh neat. So how'd you like it?

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
I like the taste a lot! The cake itself is very soft and I think it's because I used a 8" pan instead of a 9" one, so maybe bake a little longer next time. The cake was very jiggly in the middle after baking both cream cheese and sour cream layers.

I recently ate a super delicious goat cheese cheesecake that was like a custard baked in a ramekin with no crust, and raspberry jam on top. Your cheesecake reminded me of it--the cheesecake itself is lightly flavored, only tasting of the fresh cheese, more neutral instead of sweet. I never like the graham cracker crust anyway, I want to bake your version in ramekins next time :)

My cheesecake doesn't look as good as your picture though :( I should have been not lazy and piped the sour cream filling on top.

I compared your recipe to the one in Miette, their version calls for only a few ounces of sour cream. I enjoyed the cream cheese layer more than the sour cream top, but maybe mixing some of the sour cream into the cream cheese mixture could make the cheese even lighter? Do you think that would work or would it be too liquidy?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I imagine that would work. But I think the cream cheese layer on this is very sweet, but the sweetness is offset by the sourness of the sour cream layer. I would imagine if you wanted to reduce the amount of sour cream, you should also reduce the sugar a bit. If you want it firmer, just bake it a bit more. It really does take a day in the fridge to fully set up though. My grandma's cake was always soft like that, but I'm not sure if that was just her preference or what. I've come to prefer it, but then again I was raised with it.

And yours looks just fine, by the way.

sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!
I made this rosemary-pine nut butter cake with a whipped honey-orange ricotta cream:

It's not at all the texture of a cake. It's much more like a blondie---dense and chewy. It is also insanely delicious.
recipe: http://www.spachethespatula.com/rosemary-pine-nut-butter-cake-with-whipped-honey-orange-ricotta-cream/

CureMinorWounds
Apr 29, 2007
Faster Casting Time!
When I was testing out marshmallow recipes I found that the only ones that would sweat like that were ones with egg whites in them, does your recipe have egg whites? If so, try one without, I've never had a problem since I gave up the whites!

jomiel posted:

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
The ones I made were gelatin recipes. I haven't re-made marshmallows but will re-try and post back.

sharkattack
Mar 26, 2008

8bit Shark Attack!
I made madeleines.

They are Lavender-Glazed Lemon-Thyme Madeleines.

clarabelle
Apr 9, 2009
I'm currently trying to win a free airbrush that works on chocolate (I prefer to work with chocolate than fondant, tastes better). The only thing I have to do is give the best reason for deserving to win it. Everyone else is either entering sob stories about how cake decorating is the only thing that pulls them out of depression, or just flat out beg, saying that a free airbrush would help them follow their dream of becoming a professional cake decorator

I made my entry by writing my reason on cakepops and posting the picture. I wonder if that'll trump "cake decorating is the only thing that cheered me up after my miscarriage" (that was seriously an entry).

Sehkmet
Oct 22, 2004
All I want is a kind word, a warm bed, and UNLIMITED POWER.
Made this for a friend who is an aspiring writer with a day job. This is my first attempt ever with fondant - which I made from marshmallows and powered sugar - and it was SO MUCH FUN. I mean, yeah, it was a lot of work but I genuinely enjoyed it, too. I can't wait to learn how to do more. I'd really love to learn how to make flowers out of fondant. Does anyone have any suggestions as for online (free) tutorials? Or should I just hit YouTube?

This was Ina Garten's chocolate cake recipe which has become my go-to at this point, along with vanilla buttercream and the fondant.

Detail closeups and slice of cake:

I will admit the gasps of delight and shock when the recipient opened the box were totally awesome and made the time more than worth it. :shobon:

tekopp
Mar 24, 2009

This is a dark chocolate cake with a cream made of Walters Mandler, a Norwegian milk chocolate with almonds and sea salt, and chocolate ganache on top.

It was insanely good, and everyone loved it.

The ones in jars were supposed to be sent to a friend, but I never made it to the post office before they were too old. :(

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

I'm a little cat in a pretty hat!
A chocolate cake with homemade butter cream and piped chocolate butterflies that I made for a church bake sale. I felt pretty good about the butterflies since it was the first time I'd made them.

clarabelle
Apr 9, 2009

flutterbyblue posted:

A chocolate cake with homemade butter cream and piped chocolate butterflies that I made for a church bake sale. I felt pretty good about the butterflies since it was the first time I'd made them.

I LOVE those butterflies. I never do elegant cakes (I'm all about fun or weird), I'd love to have a reason to make those. So simple and so pretty

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

Thanks! I love doing fancy schmansy stuff, which is kind of hilarious because most of my baking gets eaten by a horde of gamer boys.

I love the threadless cakes that you did. I, too, am a huge fan of the fun and weird. I found an instructable for a Settlers of Catan cupcake cake involving sugar cookies. I know what I'm doing for my next bbq!

tekopp
Mar 24, 2009
I love the butterflies, and the colour of the cake too.
What kind of chocolate did you use? I've only done butterflies with royal icing before.

No, I did make one with chocolate once, but it melted on the way to the party, and it wasn't even hot outside, this happened in Norway in march...

clarabelle
Apr 9, 2009

flutterbyblue posted:

Thanks! I love doing fancy schmansy stuff, which is kind of hilarious because most of my baking gets eaten by a horde of gamer boys.

I bring mine into college, so my baking invariably gets eaten by PhD students who'd rather eat themselves sick than do work. I've now got them trained to get excited when I walk in carrying what looks like a cake box

quote:

I love the threadless cakes that you did. I, too, am a huge fan of the fun and weird. I found an instructable for a Settlers of Catan cupcake cake involving sugar cookies. I know what I'm doing for my next bbq!

I've got another threadless cake idea in the works, but I have no idea when I can do it. I've got a crazy-busy month ahead of me, and then I'm going to be abroad for 3 months. I suppose it'll depend on how much of my baking equipment I can bring with me

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

tekopp posted:

I love the butterflies, and the colour of the cake too.
What kind of chocolate did you use? I've only done butterflies with royal icing before.

No, I did make one with chocolate once, but it melted on the way to the party, and it wasn't even hot outside, this happened in Norway in march...

I guess it's more candy coating that chocolate, oops. I thought back on it and it was melted down generic Wilton style candy coating. It's a bit of an abomination that straddles the line between chocolate and wax. This stuff tasted surprisingly good though! It was a Kroger brand candy coating. It's similar to a product called almond bark, but even more generic. It's good for coating cake pops too!

clarabelle
Apr 9, 2009

flutterbyblue posted:

I guess it's more candy coating that chocolate, oops. I thought back on it and it was melted down generic Wilton style candy coating. It's a bit of an abomination that straddles the line between chocolate and wax. This stuff tasted surprisingly good though! It was a Kroger brand candy coating. It's similar to a product called almond bark, but even more generic. It's good for coating cake pops too!

Candy coating is something of a necessary evil when you need bright colours. I don't care for Wilton, but I use the hilariously-named Merkens melts and the taste approaches acceptable provided that you don't use too much

banstew
May 28, 2010

jomiel posted:

Made the banana chocolate chip cake with caramel drizzle from Sky High:

Ephemeral. posted:

I made a double-decker pineapple upside down cake for Easter. The top cracked a little bit after I stacked them, but it tastes delicious

Recipes please!

flutterbyblue
Oct 29, 2007

clarabelle posted:

Candy coating is something of a necessary evil when you need bright colours. I don't care for Wilton, but I use the hilariously-named Merkens melts and the taste approaches acceptable provided that you don't use too much

Pretty much that. It also holds up better under hot or humid conditions and dries very quickly. It's definitely not artisan quality, but it has its place (especially since my budget has limits).

clarabelle
Apr 9, 2009

flutterbyblue posted:

Pretty much that. It also holds up better under hot or humid conditions and dries very quickly. It's definitely not artisan quality, but it has its place (especially since my budget has limits).

A decorating shop near me has started stocking these: http://www.thecakedecoratingcompany.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=5080?osCsid=2omkr42j2i6pf461260ko694d4

Supposed to work just like melts, but a million times nicer. I haven't had a reason to try them yet as I don't care for working with flavoured melts, but I may give them a try at some point.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya
Have been working through the Roses's Heavenly Cakes book and made the banana chocolate studded cake, the ganache has homemade Irish cream in it:

also made the banana refrigerator cake with white chocolate ganache and the chocolate fudge cake:

So far the chocolate cakes from her book are all EXTREMELY dark and dense, so the banana chocolate one was great since the banana and sour cream made it really moist and tender and much lighter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya

banstew posted:

Recipes please!
I have the Sky High book but this blog has the recipe:
http://www.the-baker-chick.com/2011_09_01_archive.html

• Locked thread