Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flantastic
Dec 25, 2006
kthx Canada <3
So I've been lurking this forum, waiting on a cake decorating thread. I've given up and decided to make one.

Let us begin!

Last night's cake:

Made for my friend's 18th birthday, he got to vote for the first time, on his birthday, on November 4th.

I won't load all of them on this, but here are some high lights from this year:

The Moldovan exchange student's birthday cake:

My friend's Bob Dylan birthday cake:

I dig fondant, because I find it almost easier than buttercream. But I'm slowly trying to master butter cream. My first fondant cake was in January, and before then I had only baked a few times. I just started charging for cakes. First catering cake:

Share you cakes, recipes, stories, blah blah blah. I just want to see some cakes!

(Carrot cakes are acceptable, too.
)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flantastic
Dec 25, 2006
kthx Canada <3
Aww, I like it. Thats what i miss when I use fondant. Sometimes it looks too.. not like cake. I like it when things look creamy and home-madey. Plus it tastes bad.

Flantastic
Dec 25, 2006
kthx Canada <3
Totally. Are those pans worth it? They look pretty cute. Did people enjoy it?

Alssoo, Fight Club!
Are Wilton classes worth it? I taught myself, just from watching TV. Have you got a lot of benefit from them?

Flantastic
Dec 25, 2006
kthx Canada <3
So, since we all can obviously bake, are you guys ever taken advantage of? Tonight I made a "friend"'s birthday cake for her 18th birthday (marking of the day she can drop out of school and -officailly- be moved in with her 23-year-old boyfriend.) She wanted one just like a cake I made for my friend's birthday a few months ago:

(that was decorated in an hour, btw. It looks awesome when you add that detail, but if I had had more time, the bow would look a lot nicer.)
But, fondant costs a lot of money -and she TOLD me she wanted the cake. So I made her a nice chocolate chocolate chip cake with vanilla and mocha buttercream and she wasn't grateful at all - but she's just an utter bitch. But, how often do you guys do free cakes?
This year was my big year of cakes, so basically all of my friends got free birthday cakes, but February/March/April/May sucked. It was birthday after birthday after birthday.

Flantastic
Dec 25, 2006
kthx Canada <3

Paula Deans' Chocolate Mousse cake.
Total hit. It took forever to make, but made it around my family and they were a lot of support.
My uncle's a photographer, so that explains the shot.

Also- Chocolate truffles by using the left over ganache.
Some of the coatings included: Red crushed pepper, beer salt, pecans, cereal, white chocolate, and peppermint kisses.

Flantastic
Dec 25, 2006
kthx Canada <3

Had a spare cake since a friend canceled on coming over.

I got a little obsessive..
The side of the cake had over 900 dots. Idk how many overall.

I taught my left hand to squeeze about halfway around the side of the cake. Definitely some intense hand cramps.

Flantastic
Dec 25, 2006
kthx Canada <3
So, I need to catch up on my cakes.

Click here for the full 1536x2048 image.

This was a cake for a fellow goon. It's the first cake I've ever carved. It was decorated in an hour, so I didn't do it as detailed as I would have like. But a good learning experience. He enjoyed it..

Pretty surreal.

I spent my Valentine's day enjoying my creations:

Chocolate cupcakes with pink vanilla frosting with fancy little white chocolate scribbles that made it look all sophisticated.

And truffles.

So. Show me your cakes.

Flantastic
Dec 25, 2006
kthx Canada <3

Probably my most favorite cake I've done.

It has horns, but not installed in the picture.
I'll get a final picture up later.

It took him 4 days to get the nerve to cut this, too.

Flantastic
Dec 25, 2006
kthx Canada <3

frankdiabetes posted:

GOTTA CATCH 'EM ALL.

Made for my friend's 18th birthday. You're never too old for that poo poo.

Flantastic
Dec 25, 2006
kthx Canada <3

A cake I made for my mama for her birthday. She has a bee hive and is a huge bee advocate, so I made her her own hive, some cute fondant bees, and frosting made from our bee's honey! (: Delicious!

Flantastic
Dec 25, 2006
kthx Canada <3
So, this is not my best work but I have an excuse. I have become obsessed with food blogs and recipe testing! I tried this recipe for a chocolate mint cake that was supposed to taste like a Girl Scout cookie. I noticed there was a banana in the recipe and I began to tremble. I hate bananas in recipes. They over take anything you put them in. Well... it over took the cake. Not only that, but I bought pure peppermint instead of peppermint extract and had to call a baker's hotline after I freaked out.

Anyway. Despite hitting our 20's, the past few cakes I've made for my guy friends have been Pokemon, Toy Story, and now Starfox themed.

Complete with all the terrible quotes piped on the side.

STEP ON THE GAS. USE THE BRAKES. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Tempted to leave Slippy off the cake. Man, I hate Slippy.

Recipe if anyone is interested:
THIN MINT CAKE
1 box chocolate cake mix
1 cup water
2 sticks butter (softened)
4 eggs
1/2 ripe banana
1 tbsp. cinnamon
1 tbsp. + 1/4 tsp peppermint extract
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil

Anyone successfully bake a cake with a banana and not taste the drat thing?

Flantastic
Dec 25, 2006
kthx Canada <3
Hey guys! While on the subject of lemons (<3) I'm doing a wedding cake in September and the bride was like OKAY DO WHATEVER BUT MAKE THE TOP TIER LEMON CAKE WITH LEMON CREAM. ... I've googled a bunch and MOST lemon cake recipes include a lemon CURD not cream filling or frosting. I need some advice on this. What is lemon cream, and is it not lemon curd? I've found a lot of lemon cake recipes, but definitely wanted feedback.

Flantastic
Dec 25, 2006
kthx Canada <3
Dear GWS,
I created this thread FOUR years ago and it blows my mind how amazing all these entries are. After baking as a hobby for all these years, only getting a couple paid gigs - I will soon be making a WEDDING CAKE! Three tiers, three flavors, three fillings, fondant and all. It's for a September 3rd wedding and I've already done a tasting. I turn to you guys for support! I'm pretty scared to have to cover all these cakes with fondant, I almost regret mentioning it to my friend whose wedding I am doing. Does anyone have tips about covering a 14 inch cake? As well as pricing? I've been scrounging the internet for any idea of prices and I've seen the norm for a three tier, three flavor fondant cake to be about $500! Is that reasonable? I'd like to do it for cheap, but considering the trouble I'll be going through (baking and freezing in my tiny apartment by the college, driving it down and decorating and delivering it..) I don't want to cheap myself out. :ohdear:

Flantastic
Dec 25, 2006
kthx Canada <3
Well, following up on the wedding - she wants the cake for around $100. So, I'm getting screwed over a lot. I'll just change it all over to box mixes. I feel like my soul is dying. I had great recipes picked out, all delicious and fresh. Curses!

Flantastic
Dec 25, 2006
kthx Canada <3
I know, I know. I'm seriously getting screwed on this, but it's my fault for not popping out prices sooner. She's a junior high friend who is getting married quite modestly and without her family side's support and just was ignorant to the price of what I do. I'll just do it the best I can and shamelessly print a ton of business cards to prop right next to the cake.

:allears: One day I'll make a cake as pretty as Tekopp's... until then it's boxed fondant and boxed cake.

Flantastic
Dec 25, 2006
kthx Canada <3
Any tips on thawing cake? I was a good little baker and made the wedding cake this weekend and need it to be ready to be delivered by noon Saturday. Should I take it out of the freezer Thursday night? Friday morning? crumb coat Friday evening and frost and fondant that night and assemble in the morning? I can't actually do anything with it myself until Friday, but if it needs to be aired out and thawed I can let someone at home know to set the cakes out. I hopehopehopehopehope that I put enough plastic wrap to keep freezer taste away. :| Worried!

Also, read about dabbing on simple syrup onto the cakes before frosting them. How do you guys feel about that?

Flantastic
Dec 25, 2006
kthx Canada <3
To the person asking about cupcake tips:
http://www.iheartkatiecakes.com/2011/09/national-cupcake-week-day-one-piping.html

Perfect timing for that to pop on my radar. I want to show ya'll my wedding cake, where can I upload the picture? I'm lost without waffleimages!

Also, those cupcakes are adorable. The frosting looks PERFECT! Love how it looks very crisp, cheers cheers!

Flantastic
Dec 25, 2006
kthx Canada <3

Here's the cake and beautiful couple! I actually only have terrible photos from my boyfriend's cellphone, so I'll spare you those and show you this one.

Lessons learned:
- Freezing cake layers is a very very good idea
- That being said, thaw the cakes flat and be sure to do them as you need them, don't flop them out on the counter thinking they'll still be frozen enough to stack and carve about 6 hours later.
- Goodness gracious, make sure you have enough for your recipe - and then at least enough to replace a couple layers - especially if you are new... Or you're definitely be crying in car steered toward Walmart at 1 AM.
- I learned that cracked layers do not magically repair, so get over it fast and get baking.
- WRAPPING YOUR CAKES CHANGES EVERYTHING. Before I put each layer in, I unrolled paper towels and folded them down until they were the height of the pan, then gently folded them and got them very damp then CAREFULLY unfolded them and wrapped the damp rope around the entire pan. Even cakes, so beautiful and even. Love this!
- Trust your friends, family, lovers, ect. I went into this thinking me me me I will do everything with these two hands.. When I was caught up sifting and making loads of frosting, I had to give responsibility over to my boyfriend who made two of the fillings - they were delicious and perfect and I should have asked for help a long time before I let him!

Moral: Give yourself time to fix anything that goes wrong. I started unwrapping, stacking, filling, frosting at 8:30, 9 the night before the wedding... Stood in the kitchen until 4 AM and slept until 8 AM on the couch, covered in flour and tears - got up and had the cake delivered by 1 PM.

How much $$ in the pocket after all the things needed for the cake? $26. :/
And now I have another order for another wedding cake- oy vey.

Flantastic
Dec 25, 2006
kthx Canada <3
I did as Bakerella said, and let me tell you - there's a reason she's called the Queen of Cake Pops. Some suggestions I have would be not to make cake pops as large as you think they are. They're less golf ball and more maybe... foosball sized. Be sure to stick the stick in chocolate before putting it into the cake pop and let that set (or freeze it) so that it's securely stuck on the cookie stick. And goood luck! My mom and I tried this and it was a comically disastrous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flantastic
Dec 25, 2006
kthx Canada <3
Hey guys! Just dropping in to recommend Amy Sedaris' cupcake recipe! I was doubtful, but honestly it's just a delicious batter and cupcake.

Vanilla Cupcake Recipe:
Amy Sedaris' Cupcakes

1 ½ sticks of unsalted butter
1 ¾ cups of sugar

Beat well, then add:

Add 2 large eggs
2 Teaspoons of pure vanilla
½ teaspoon of salt
2 ½ teaspoons of baking powder
2 ½ cups of flour
1 ¼ cups of milk

Beat well, fill cups, and bake at 375 degrees for 18-20 minutes. You should get 24. I get 18, 'cause I'm doing something wrong.

Super delicious! I threw some in the freeze as well.

• Locked thread