Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
I swear there was a delicious-looking chocolate buttercream frosting recipe in this thread, but I cannot find it to save my life. The recipe I inherited is thin, grainy, and tastes like powdered sugar mixed with milk. I don't think that is what it's supposed to be like. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

cocoavalley posted:

Well, it does have powdered sugar and milk, but this is what I do:

1/2 c butter
1/2 c cocoa or more (depending on how dark you want it)
3 c powdered sugar
1/4 c milk (more or less depending on consistency)
1 tsp vanilla

Cream the butter then slowly add the sugar and cocoa powder. Add the vanilla, then milk as needed to get the consistency desired for your purposes.

I always use dark cocoa powder and thought this was a good recipe, but I'd love to see what other people use.

edit:vvvvvvvvv Well, drat! It's got butter so I say it's buttercream and a whole hell of a lot better recipe than this one! Color me educated.

This is similar to the recipe I have, but more butter and a higher dry-to-wet ratio. This is probably an important difference.

sharkattack posted:

While this frosting isn't a buttercream really, it's one of the best chocolate frostings I've ever had.

Ingredients:
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder (I used Dutch-processed because that's what I had on time)
scant 1/4 tsp sea salt
1 cup milk (I used 2%)
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted

1. In a small saucepan, whisk together the sugar, flour, cocoa, salt and milk. Bring the mixture to a boil, whisking frequently. Boil for about 1 minute until thickened. Remove the pan from the heat and strain the mixture (with a sieve) into a small bowl and then cool completely. (I just popped mine in the freezer for a bit.)
2. Beat the butter in a medium-sized bowl until creamy. Add in the cooked flour/cocoa mixture and beat until combined. Finally add in the melted chocolate and beat until combined.

This sounds really delicious. There is only solution: make two batches of cupcakes. For science, of course. :eng101:

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
Okay, this thread's chocolate buttercream recipes were a huge hit, so I'm back for another favor--vanilla buttercream. Is it the same, but w/o the cocoa with a tsp or two of vanilla?

Also, is it possible to make some kind of marshmallow "frosting"? It sounds really good on the devil's food cupcakes I'll be making.

P.S. Sorry for the lack of pictures, but the cupcakes with the chocolate buttercream frostings were consumed too quickly.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

jomiel posted:

The cake I made (^^ above ^^) has marshmallow frosting
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6504932

How did I miss this? The whole things is making me drool.

Sekhmet posted:

Classic Vanilla Buttercream
from Savory Sweet Life

1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks or 1/2 pound), softened (but not melted!) Ideal texture should be like ice cream.
3-4 cups confectioners (powdered) sugar, SIFTED
1/4 teaspoon table salt
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
up to 4 tablespoons milk or heavy cream

- Beat butter for a few minutes with a mixer with the paddle attachment on medium speed.
- Add 3 cups of powdered sugar and turn your mixer on the lowest speed (so the sugar doesn’t blow everywhere) until the sugar has been incorporated with the butter.
- Increase mixer speed to medium and add vanilla extract, salt, and 2 tablespoons of milk/cream and beat for 3 minutes.

* If your frosting needs a more stiff consistency, add remaining sugar. If your frosting needs to be thinned out, add remaining milk 1 tablespoons at a time.

This turned out really tasty. I cut the sugar down by ~1/4 c because it was too sweet for my taste. Makes a nice, rich frosting.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

PezMaster posted:

If you haven't had a Nanaimo Bar, you need to stop what you're doing right now and make it just so you can find out what you've been missing all your life.

Beginners and Non-Canadians can start here: http://www.cakespy.com/blog/2011/3/27/foodbuzz-24x24-nanaimo-bar-extravaganza.html

Holy crap, those look delicious. It's like this thread exists solely to fatten me up.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
I made the Swiss buttercream Pez gave the recipe for earlier in the thread. There were two, possibly related problems. First it was too soft. I'm thinking the butter wasn't cold enough. Second it kind of separated in the fridge the next day. Where did I go wrong?

It was still the best frosting ever. Makes me wonder what my grandma passed off as buttercream that led my mom to insist that frosting from a can tasted way better than homemade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
That looks delicious and I salute you :patriot:. How was the frosting? I'm hesitant to use raw eggs in something that's unrefrigerated.

• Locked thread