Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

sharkattack posted:

I made a Coconut-Chocolate Bundt Cake with Coconut Porter:

I managed to forget 1/2 the cocoa powder because I don't know how to pay attention. This led to me questioning whether I even liked the cake. After I single-handedly ate 1/2 of it, I decided I should probably admit that I did indeed like it.

Recipe, please! What brand of porter did you use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
You can't post that without the recipe! What kind of cookies are those?

A few weeks ago, I made this almond cake by Thomas Keller.

It looks like a run of the mill flat cake, like something out of an Entenmann's box. Do not be deceived. It looks ordinary but has a uniquely creamy texture, almost like you could spread it on toast with a knife. It is incredibly delicious, and is supposed to be paired with a strawberry-rhubarb compote, but I don't like rhubarb so I just put ice cream on it. :v:

Here is the same recipe with an accompanying strawberry compote and amaretto ice cream.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
My uncle made the Momofuku Apple Pie Layer Cake for me for my birthday.

Recipe here

It took him 13 hours (not non-stop, but it takes that long to make all the components and assemble them), and he couldn't find cake rings sold anywhere so he had to improvise with some aluminum sheetmetal from his garage. :3:

Afterwards, he discovered that Sur La Table carries cake rings.

The cake really is phenomenal. Each individual layer is delicious and worthy of standing alone, and combining them into a 6-layer cake alternating between flavors and textures is just a delight in your mouth. The only change I would make is that you could take some of the liquid from cooking the apples (which isn't used in the recipe) and drizzle it on top, since that very top layer of buttercream needs a little something IMO.

Best birthday cake I've ever had.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Zinc Teeth posted:

How do you slice and serve something that tall?

Very carefully. :v: You're actually in luck -- I took a video of the cake cutting!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjDpSmYthdk

It was surprisingly easy to cut the rest of the pieces, too. When you're getting down to the last third of the cake, it helps to have someone lightly hold the rest of the cake while you slice off a piece. I think the recipe says it serves 8, but those would be big pieces. I think we got 12 servings out of it. It's really rich, as you can imagine.

Rabbit Hill fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jun 19, 2012

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm planning to make Pumpkin Pie Cake for Thanksgiving, and a good number of the reviews complain that the icing is too runny. Here is the icing recipe:

2 tablespoons butter, softened
1 (8-ounce) package 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
3 cups powdered sugar
2 teaspoons fresh orange juice
1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
Orange slices (optional)

Would reducing the number of teaspoons of orange juice from 2 to 1 be enough to prevent runniness, or should I do something like add more butter, use full-fat cream cheese, leave out the OJ altogether, chill overnight before spreading it....etc.?

Also, could I reduce the amount of powdered sugar without it making the runniness worse, or otherwise loving up the consistency?

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I don't know, man, I'm just following orders the recipe! I would think the acidity of the OJ would react strangely to the dairy cream cheese, but I don't do a lot of baking so what do I know?

Orange zest sounds like a good compromise, thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to make a practice run of the cake before Thanksgiving, so if orange and pumpkin taste awful together, I'll find out before I gross out my family. :)

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It looks like it spells "Congratulations" in the International Phonetic Alphabet. Cute idea. :)

E: beaten but I don't care :colbert:

Last night I made a white hazelnut fruitcake out of a Crabtree & Evelyn cookbook I found at a used bookstore. It called for two ingredients I couldn't find -- candied citron and orange blossom water -- so I substituted candied kiwi and Gran Marnier. 7 eggs, 3 sticks of butter, 5 kinds of candied fruit (raisins, dried pears, dried figs, dried apricots, citron/kiwi, plus I added dried cranberries), 2 cups of whole hazelnuts, a cup of dark rum.....this is a monster of a cake. It weighs 5.5 pounds!

Now I have to let it sit for 3 days to 2 weeks and drizzle the cheesecloth it's wrapped in with a little rum every day. I made it for my dad, who loves the crappy fruitcake bricks you get at the grocery store; I'm hoping this is way better.

Rabbit Hill fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 10, 2012

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
My uncle made that for me last year and I posted about it here! It is truly an epic cake.

First post, and scroll down for another post with a video of cutting the cake. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
My aunt makes the Williams Sonoma Carrot Cake every Thanksgiving, and it's pretty dang good.

• Locked thread