Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Miss Shell posted:

I'm going to make this mint slice cake later, and it's going to be glorious. Will post a trip report.

Not my picture:

So, is that like a giant Mallowmar?

No. Looking again, that's nothing like a mallowmar. Looks pretty good though. Carry on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

PezMaster posted:

Boy, do I have a goony cupcake for you guys.

Coconut cake with Amp Energy Drink curd and a seven minute frosting. So loving goony. But, seriously, they taste pretty awesome. Even the little old Muslim ladies I work with loved them. I put them out in the staff room at 8 and they were gone by 10.

Sorry to bring this back from about a dozen pages ago, but speaking of goony baked goods I'm planning on making a Mountain Dew cake for my wife this weekend. I've found one recipe, and while dubious, I will post pictures once completed. If it is a success, I'll post the recipe as well.

PezMaster, do you have a website or a blog with a collection of all your cupcake recipes?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

If you are looking for a shiny, fruit tart kind of glaze you can make a simple syrup kind of one:
1/2 Cup of sugar
2 Tbsp. Corn starch
1 Cup Water
2Tbsp. Corn Syrup

1. Bring sugar and 1/2 cup of water to a boil
2. Mix cornstarch and remaining water into slurry. Add to boiling syrup
3. Add Corn Syrup, bring back to boil and remove from heat

After it has cooled you can use it to glaze whatever. Obviously this only makes about 1 cup finished product. Might be a bit sticky for your wants.

Otherwise if you are looking for a more matte finish, a standard powdered sugar/milk glaze would work. Probably a bit less tacky as well.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

PezMaster posted:

Made vegan cake and ice cream last week - both were chocolate peanut butter pretzel

(the ice cream was better than the cake :ssh: )

It kind of looks like the pretzel pieces in the cake would be a little distracting. Were they soggy and disappointing like I'm imagining?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

soap. posted:

Sorry this is from the last page, but could I get a recipe for this? They look amazing. Do you make your own curd?

All of Pez Master's stuff can be found on her (his?) blog: C&C Cakery
http://cccakery.blogspot.com/

I'm still going through the archives myself.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

The Heartless posted:

S'more Cupcakes

There was a graham cracker crust bottom, chocolate cake, then marshmallow frosting (egg whites, sugar, cream of tartar and vanilla. I don't know what else to call it). Toasted the top a little bit under the broiler and a chunk of Hershey's chocolate (since that's iconic for S'mores. Plus they were for a kids last day of school party).

With the graham cracker crust, is it just in the bottom of the muffin tin, or did you go up the sides as well? Seeing as how they are in liners I imagine it's just the bottom, but I've seen other amazing things here. Might make these this weekend, depending on what else goes on.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Flantastic posted:

So, this is not my best work but I have an excuse. I have become obsessed with food blogs and recipe testing! I tried this recipe for a chocolate mint cake that was supposed to taste like a Girl Scout cookie. I noticed there was a banana in the recipe and I began to tremble. I hate bananas in recipes. They over take anything you put them in. Well... it over took the cake. Not only that, but I bought pure peppermint instead of peppermint extract and had to call a baker's hotline after I freaked out.

Anyway. Despite hitting our 20's, the past few cakes I've made for my guy friends have been Pokemon, Toy Story, and now Starfox themed.

Complete with all the terrible quotes piped on the side.

STEP ON THE GAS. USE THE BRAKES. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Tempted to leave Slippy off the cake. Man, I hate Slippy.

Recipe if anyone is interested:
THIN MINT CAKE
1 box chocolate cake mix
1 cup water
2 sticks butter (softened)
4 eggs
1/2 ripe banana
1 tbsp. cinnamon
1 tbsp. + 1/4 tsp peppermint extract
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil

Anyone successfully bake a cake with a banana and not taste the drat thing?

The peppermint extract should help cover up any banana flavors (that poo poo is pretty strong). The one thing I would note however, is I think regular Mint extract would taste more like girl scout cookie than peppermint, but perhaps that's just me. Also, it looks like almost the same amount of Cinnamon as extract, which seems a bit high in a chocolate mint cake, but perhaps someone else would care to weigh in?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

hypnotoad posted:

Awww thanks so much for all the awesome feedback guys! :) I'll be sure to post pictures of the legit cake whenever we make it for the engagement party. :)

On the other hand, does anyone have a good, reliable, plain white cake recipe? The last one I found online barely made a dozen cupcakes and ended up kind of eh.

Oh yeah and I have to make like 2 dozen cupcakes Friday for a family reunion Saturday. A combo of dark chocolate with peanut butter frosting, and that white cake with jello cupcakes (with lime jello) with lime frosting. It should be interesting. I've only ever made lemon frosting before, I hope the lime turns out okay. :ohdear: I'll post pictures of the final products if I remember :)

Here is a good white cake recipe that also lends itself well to adding flavoring:
http://www.cookscountry.com/recipe.asp?recipeids=3205&bdc=38460

Copy the recipe to notepad or something though if you have to print it. They will try to get you to buy a subscription if you use their Print option.

Made 36 cupcakes for me when I made mint chocolate chip cupcakes a few weeks ago. Of course, I mis-measured the flour, but they still tasted delicious.

If you use this recipe for cupcakes, check them after about 15 min. They were perfectly done for me at that time.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Flantastic posted:

Hey guys! While on the subject of lemons (<3) I'm doing a wedding cake in September and the bride was like OKAY DO WHATEVER BUT MAKE THE TOP TIER LEMON CAKE WITH LEMON CREAM. ... I've googled a bunch and MOST lemon cake recipes include a lemon CURD not cream filling or frosting. I need some advice on this. What is lemon cream, and is it not lemon curd? I've found a lot of lemon cake recipes, but definitely wanted feedback.

I'm not 100% on this, but from the description it sounds like they want a sort of lemon flavored (butter)cream or lemon custard filling, as opposed to a typical lemon curd. Maybe they even mean a lemon cream cheese style frosting...

Also, You have at least 1 month to prepare for this. If you need more specifics, double check with the person who's ordering this cake. Make them be as specific as possible. Lead them if you have to "Yeah, did you mean something along the consistency of pudding or more like frosting for the in-between layers?"

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

OK, so this weekend I'm planning on doing some of the "rainy day" cupcakes (White cake, 1/3 dyed blue and the remainder mixed with blue sprinkles throughout). For this one I am going to stick with just vanilla flavors, but I had an idea or two and wanted some feedback.

What I'm thinking is making some "hell" cupcakes, with a black base, and red remainder, with yellow/orange sprinkles, but flavoring them with cinnamon/spices. I want it to be a bit on the hot side, but not a cinnamon red hot level. Would that be too gross, perhaps? Should I just go for a more "classic" spice cake flavor. My only concern there is that I don't know how well a spice cake would take to food coloring as they tend to be on the dark side anyway. Any suggestions?

Also, looking for a good flavor for a complimentary frosting (cream cheese?). The frosting would be red, orange and yellow, all folded into each other as gently as possible.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

banstew posted:

Sorry I am so behind in this thread, but if you still have the recipes and/or tips for making any of these please for the love of god post them. Also, I have made the tiramisu (the one from a few weeks ago), pumpkin, and coconut cupcakes to bring in to work over the past three weeks and my coworkers have been going nuts for them. Thanks for the recipes!

PEZ Master's Mini Banana and Chocolate Cupcakes
http://www.cccakery.com/2011/07/mini-banana-cupcakes-with-pb-and.html

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

There is nothing wrong with doing favors for friends or giving friends discounts. If nothing else, you have just learned two valuable lessons. 1) Get payment up front. 2) Don't deal with that particular oval office again. (or charge her double the normal rate).

Please don't let this discourage you from making cakes for fun or profit again, but if it were me, I'd keep those two things separate from here on out.

The only advice I can offer is next time get at least half payment up front (especially if it sounds like they might be idiots) and write down everything they want and have them sign off on it. It doesn't have to be or even look legally binding, but you can always come back and say "look at the list. It states right here that you wanted marshmallow frosting on a two layer lemon cake with red bows. Signed and dated."

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

cocoavalley posted:

My mom and I split the cake-making job for my dad's birthday this weekend. She baked the cake layers and I filled/frosted them. I get to their house and there are four layers cooling on the counter - she broke a piece off of one of the first layers and thought it was ruined, so she made another set. I always level the layers and was able to salvage the broken one with scraps, so we ended up with a megacake.

DAAAAAAMN! That looks tasty.

hollylolly posted:

http://imgur.com/a/9Aaks - all angles of the cake. Please excuse my kitchen mess in the background!

This however is cute as hell.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

clarabelle posted:

You're correct about my location (and previous location, should I be scared?). I had a feeling I'd need a cert no-matter what, which is unfortunate as the way my kitchen's set-up doesn't mesh well with the regulations. If I got the cert and was making them at home, could that change my council tax status? The flat's registered as a student residence right now (my flatmate's an undergrad an I'm about to start a PhD) and I really don't want to mess that up

If it's anything like here (USA), I don't believe that as a side business it would require you to change your zoning. You are not remodeling the space to turn your flat into a professional bakery, you are looking to bake the occasional product and sell for a mild profit (unless I've gotten confused).

Best bet would be to check with your local government

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

clarabelle posted:

I feel like they're watching me...

Also, I have to add whiskers somehow, but I also have to post these to Ireland. Any suggestions on how to do this other than just paint them on?

Well, if you want the whiskers to stick out and still be edible, what if you made thin sugar strands (or whatever you call sugar and water brought to hard ball stage and dropped in lines on paper - brain, why did you decide to go on a smoke break?)

NINJA: Spun Sugar, that's what I mean. What the hell is wrong with me?

Anyway, you could probably make some thin strands that could be pushed into the cat faces, but you might end up with an ungodly amount of sugar in that case. Also, for shipping, you might be able to put them in strong foam like you have there and then surround with Airbag mailers.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Bunk Rogers posted:

Daaaaaang. Martha friggin Stewart's rainbow (cup)cake(s) are already baking. Gonna have to figure out a reason to make me some of those though. Thanks.

Day after tomorrow is Saturday, that's usually a good enough reason.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

PezMaster posted:

Can I recommend my pumpkin cayenne cake?

Going to try these this weekend, what is the yield if doing cupcakes (12/24/36)? Do I need to change the bake time much if doing a cake-cake instead?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

PezMaster, I made the Pumpkin Dias De Los Muertos cake that has been bounced around here, last week. Holy poo poo. It was fantastic. I think I tried to de-pan it a bit too soon (it left a bit of the bottom in the pan) but it tasted amazing. Fantastic frosting as well. Can't wait to try another of your recipes.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Made these today from ATK recipe:

Still learning camera operation.

Dark chocolate cupcakes with a chocolate ganache "nugget" in the center, topped with a butterscotch buttercream frosting. They are so rich that I can only eat one at a time.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

So I've been roped into making a graduation cake (college). Anyone have any good ideas? I do pretty well with fondant. I was thinking of doing a mortarboard cake, but I'm not sure what I would wrap the fondant around for the top of the hat. Plus that seems boring. Ideas?

What's their major? You might be able to do something with that.

Failing that, you could go old school and do a play on a "sheepskin".

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Alpha Q. Up posted:

What kind of game? Catan? Civ V? I am showing my nerd non-cred, but the idea of theme cupcakes is really cool! Recipes/Ideas and/or reception? How did you do hex shapes?

The cupcakes are indeed from Catan. Very nice job flutterbyblue BTW.

Made a 4 layer chocolate velvet cake with butterscotch frosting this weekend. No pics unfortunately, but tasted pretty good.

The amount of food dye the recipe called for is just insane though. 2oz of food dye. Holy poo poo.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

flutterbyblue posted:

How did you like the butterscotch combination with the red velvet? It sounds intriguing, if you've got a recipe I'd like to try it. At the very least I'll get to listen to my chef friend bitch about red velvet.

It was well received, but I need something to pump up the butterscotch flavor. It's kind of like a weak caramel right now. Think I need to add a little more molasses (all out of dark brown sugar). Anywho-
2 sticks butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 ounces red food coloring
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
Pinch salt
2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
Butter, for pan

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar, until light and fluffy. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, make a paste out of the red food coloring, cocoa and salt. Remove bowl from stand mixer and mix in paste by hand to the creamed butter. In a measuring cup, stir eggs with buttermilk and add to batter. Mix in vinegar and vanilla, and then add flour and baking soda. Mix until combined but do not over mix.

Butter a sheet pan. Lay parchment on top. Butter the parchment. Pour batter into pan and smooth the top to even the batter out, using an offset spatula. Bake cake until a toothpick comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Remove from oven and cool in pan.

De-pan and cut into 4 layers, stack with a layer of frosting in-between cake layers.

Frosting
1/2 cup Dark brown sugar
2 large egg whites
1/2 teaspoon salt
12 tablespoons butter, cut into tablespoons
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Combine sugar, egg white and salt in bowl of stand mixer. Heat mixture over simmering water whisking constantly until mixture reaches 150 degrees F (2-3 minutes)

Place bowl in stand mixer and beat on medium speed for 1-2 minutes, until thickened. Add butter, one piece at a time until smooth. Add vanilla and mix until combined. Increase speed to medium high and beat until light and fluffy.

EDIT: A note on the cake batter. It is going to look terrible before you add the flour

CzarChasm fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jun 5, 2012

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

On a similar note, does anyone have a good Jell-o poke cake recipe they can share?

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

Just came across this vid today for a really cool safari animal cake, inspired by Lion King.

I think my next cake I bring anywhere will be inspired by the animal patterns here, but I don't like the cheetah/leopard as much as the tiger/zebra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

That looks nice. How long did it take you to do all those stars?

• Locked thread