Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuesday Morning
Apr 20, 2004

Staring directly into the collective Goatse.cx of the Internet’s soul.

tekopp posted:

I made some 1up cookies for a friend who's in the hospital.

I used a simple recipe for sugar cookies, and decorated them with icing.

Those.
Are.
JUST ADORABLE.

I've read through the thread and copied notes to a file that I'll be looking at frequently in the next month or two.

My sister's wedding is in July (end of it, thankfully) but we have to come up with cakes for the big day. The plan is to make a cake for each table in the reception (8-10 people per table, possibly 80-100 people total) and one for the Family Table.

Plans include learning marshmallow fondant, filling with different things for each cake and making simple, classy decorations. Very simple. Probably just one tier but two layers for each cake. I've been watching those wedding cake shows for ideas and I'm a little ... overwhelmed, I think the word is.

I'll be sure to post pictures of our efforts. We'd love to take a class but she's never in town and I have babysitting so that's right out. YouTube'll have to stand as our class demos for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuesday Morning
Apr 20, 2004

provocateur posted:

MMF is ridiculously easy to make and can be stored in advance for quite some time. I'd suggest doing a practise run with it first though, I found it too annoying to work with and much prefer store bought fondant, you might too.

Yeah, we're going to do test runs for the next two months and then make a dozen cakes to freeze. Then we'll transport them across state lines and hope for the best.

Tuesday Morning
Apr 20, 2004

Charmmi posted:

I made a birthday cake this weekend. It was delicious and I ate way too much.

It was about 8 inches tall, filled with nutella, strawberries, and whipped cream.

You lost me at "filled with nutella..." I was drooling too hard to finish reading.

Tuesday Morning
Apr 20, 2004

Cake.

Still planning out the different cakes for my sister's wedding. She SWEARS that all she wants is a sheet cake from the store but there's no way I'm letting MY SISTER have ONLY A SHEET CAKE for her wedding.

Practicing cake pops tomorrow with - get this - bacon flavored cake dipped in maple glaze. Likely will have small flecks of bacon in the cake itself. We shall see what the bacon gods decree.

Tuesday Morning
Apr 20, 2004

Fondant figure / decoration question:

Let's say I make a REALLY GREAT 3-d sort of cake-topper out of fondant. Which may or may not ever happen, but for the sake of this question, let's assume I make a great one.

How would I transport that over a 10 hour drive and have it keep for a week or more?

Added question: is there something else I should make the cake topper out of? It doesn't HAVE to be edible, but I can't think of anything else to put on cake that's easy to manipulate like fondant.

Tuesday Morning
Apr 20, 2004

d3rt posted:

She's trying to start a small business in the Bay Area, CA. Would it be a faux pas to share her email address?

Since you don't have PMs, I'm going to request her email address here. Because those cakes I was going to make for my sister's wedding? Yeah. It'd be cheaper to order them from somewhere instead of dealing with my multitude of fuckups that I'm bound to create from expensive mixes and fondant and oh god I don't want to fail at my sister's wedding cake.

... whose wedding happens to be in the Bay Area next month. You can email me at j e n n y t h e g r e a t @ gmail . com. Please do. Plllleeeeeeease.

Tuesday Morning
Apr 20, 2004

d3rt posted:

This was made today for her sister's birthday.

email address eeemail address eeeeeeeeeeemail address please! :D

Tuesday Morning
Apr 20, 2004

She MADE the ICE CREAM?

I am so hiring her.

Just trying to finalize things with my sister and, even though the cake was supposed to be a surprise, I'm going to give her hints and ask her what she really wants since your wife came up with some other ideas I hadn't thought of previously.

She's good at cakes AND sales.

Tuesday Morning
Apr 20, 2004

PezMaster posted:

Here's my entry for the coconut contest - Bittersweet Chocolate Coconut cupcakes with a light orange swiss buttercream.

I just tried to hump my screen.
Frick those look delicious.

Tuesday Morning
Apr 20, 2004

d3rt posted:

My wife has taken to cake making/decorating with a passion.
She's trying to start a small business in the Bay Area, CA.

So d3rt's wife has been working with me to make my sister's wedding cakes (yes, cakes). She's great to work with and has been amenable to the multitude of changes that I've made and my complete indecisiveness over EVERY DETAIL. I *suck* at being a customer / client. I really do, but she's put up with me.

And I get the cakes Saturday! She's going to photograph them for me and I hope d3rt posts them in the thread since I won't get to until maybe Monday or Tuesday.

I am incredibly excited over this. Price was great too!

Tuesday Morning
Apr 20, 2004

Got the cakes from d3rt's wife. Unfortunately didn't meet anybody because someone else took the delivery as I was driving frantically through the mountains, lost, following someone with a faulty GPS when the cakes arrived.

I was really looking forward to meeting people, too. Hmph.

Anyway, will post pictures once I get 'em back from the photographer. The red velvet one was DELICIOUS and everything that's left is now sitting in my freezer, waiting on a decision from my sister (whose wedding it was) who is currently in Cancun and unavailable. I want to dig into it though.

We drove with what was left from both cakes for 12 hours and they only melted a little tiny bit.

Score!

Tuesday Morning
Apr 20, 2004

d3rt posted:

The two wedding cakes:

YES
Thank you! I haven't heard back from anybody else with pictures and I'm still so wiped from the driving and the wedding that I haven't done much of anything. I did get the pictures in my email but ... so tired, so little internet time, so short on memory.

Everything went over really well and I'm TOTALLY happy with the cakes.

Tuesday Morning
Apr 20, 2004

^^^^
That's amazingly good for a never-have-I-ever cake.

Tuesday Morning
Apr 20, 2004

I am so glad this thread was updated. I really needed some delicious (cup)cake pictures today. Work is so meh; needed cheering up.

Tuesday Morning
Apr 20, 2004

PezMaster posted:

Or pie-cakes?

frankdiabetes posted:

Explanation and recipe, please!

Seconded!!!
That looks like pumpkin pie in a cupcake.

PUMPKIN PIE
IN A CUPCAKE

That hurts my brain and I want to make it. Now.

Tuesday Morning
Apr 20, 2004

PezMaster posted:

They have good things in there. And maybe some not so good things.

:(

I AM DOING THIS WITH BACON

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuesday Morning
Apr 20, 2004

This thread always cheers me up and makes me distressingly hungry at the same time.

• Locked thread