Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Someone needs to make this cake, and then send it to me, because I'll be damned if I pay Dean and Deluca $130 for it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pooptron2003 posted:

Made some pumpkin spice cupcakes with cinnamon cream cheese frosting last night. They're not the prettiest, but my god are they tasty and moist! Pumpkin is wonderful.

GIVE ME YOUR FROSTING RECIPE

(pretty please)

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Crosspostin' from the gaycke thread:

I was probated and bored so I made a rainbow cake. Also made marshmallow fondant for the first time.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

jennyinstereo posted:

Amazing! I love the blue. So vibrant. Isn't marshmallow fondant great? Easy as poo poo to make and tastes good. I like your little pink fondant balls.

My pink balls were actually piped. I suck at piping though, which may explain why they look not piped.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Are those dicks sticking out the side?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Generally when you want whipped cream to stay stable, you would add a little gelatin to it. Do not add too much though, as it will get gummy.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

After seeing these, I don't feel so bad for asking if this cake was covered in penises.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The thickness looks about right. You probably could have used a bit thicker coating of jam or whatever in order to get the fondant on smoother.

Also, sup.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Why does your cake appear to be concave?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
In guessing it was undercooked then.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

blixa posted:

I guess. It browned fine, the toothpick came out clean and it doesn't taste undercooked. I dunno. :)

I suppose it could also be that it wasn't handled gently pulling it out of the oven, causing it to fall before it could set.

But if you're not doing it for presentation, all that really matters is that it tastes good. And it certainly looks like it tastes good.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That's awesome looking.

I think I'm going to make some cupcakes today. Anyone have a kickass frosting recipe they want to share?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Since we're sharing cake recipes, I figured I'd repost my family cheesecake recipe here. It's very creamy/custardy, and not at all like a traditional new york cheesecake.

Crust

9 graham crackers
1/3 cup butter
1/4 cup sugar

Crush the crackers (I do it in a zip lock baggie with a rolling pin). Stir with sugar and melted butter until well mixed. Press in to 9 inch springform pan and bake for 10 minutes @ 350. Make sure the crust has cooled completely before pouring in the next step.

Cheesecake layer:

16 oz cream cheese, room temp
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla

Cream the cream cheese and sugar well. Add eggs, one at a time until incorporated well. Add vanilla. Pour into cooled crust and bake @ 350 for 20 minutes. Remove and add sour cream layer.

Sour cream
16 oz sour cream
1 tbsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla

Mix all ingredients well. I pipe it on the top with a ziplock to get it on evenly and then smooth it with an offset spatula.

Put back in oven for 5 more minutes at 350. Cool on the counter for one hour, then refrigerate. This will take a minimum of 6 hours to set up in the fridge, but chilling overnight is preferred. It is a very creamy/custardy cheesecake. The dairy:egg:sugar ratio is just about 4:1:1 (the sugar is a little higher, but cream cheese also has some tartness to offset it).

The strawberry topping was just gilding the lily because i had some nice strawberries in. I made it by macerating the chopped strawberries with a little sugar, then bringing too a simmer in a saucepot (with a little extra water) and thickening with a slurry made from a little of the reserved strawberry juice and corn starch.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

frankdiabetes posted:

This sounds really good. Have you ever doubled the filling to make a taller cheesecake? I wonder if it would work or if it would make a huge mess...

That recipe is for a 9 inch pan. I have also made it in a 10 1/2 inch pan, and increased everything by 50%. I have all those measurements written down somewhere around here. When I did that I increased the baking time a good amount too. I think I went 28 minutes on the first part, and 10 minutes on the second.

If you're going to double it in a 9 inch pan, I would consider reducing the oven heat by 25 degrees, and of course cooking it a lot longer. It may be tough to judge the doneness though. When properly cooked, this recipe isn't even set up enough to cut until at least 6 hours in the fridge.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That's really impressive work. Duff can suck a dick.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Sorry. Duff can make some fondant, and then suck a dick.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Pillowman posted:

The batter needs to be rather thick, right?

Not really. Cake batter tends to be thick enough not to mix itself. As long as you gently pour each color into the center, the other colors will get pushed to the perimeter. But like someone else said, make sure that you have a lot more of the outer color than the inner.

My one attempt at a rainbow cake:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've heard that tossing blueberry's in flour before adding them to your muffin mix will help keep them from sinking. Maybe try that.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I made a from scratch strawberry cake yesterday. I think the ingredients were fine, but against my better judgement I followed the recipe instead of using a more typical method of building a cake batter. It managed to come out clumpy and somewhat gummy at the same time.

Anyone here have a strawberry cake recipe that uses strawberry puree instead of strawberry gelatin or preserves or other crap like that?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

jennyinstereo posted:

I quite like the smitten kitchen pink lady cake and it uses pureed frozen strawberries.

Thanks for this. I'm so pissed off with how this one turned out that I may try it again with this recipe this weekend.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I thought that said "Sweat and Moist" and was pretty intrigued, actually.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh god she's that woman.

I had no idea.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The one time I tried to make red frosting I had to add so much wilton gel that it tasted like the gel, and that is not a good flavor. Not to mention that despite the fact that the icing was still not really red, the tiniest bit of it would stain your hands or mouth a bright crimson.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Here's mine. reposting from earlier in the thread.

FlashGordonRamsay posted:

Since we're sharing cake recipes, I figured I'd repost my family cheesecake recipe here. It's very creamy/custardy, and not at all like a traditional new york cheesecake.

Crust

9 graham crackers
1/3 cup butter
1/4 cup sugar

Crush the crackers (I do it in a zip lock baggie with a rolling pin). Stir with sugar and melted butter until well mixed. Press in to 9 inch springform pan and bake for 10 minutes @ 350. Make sure the crust has cooled completely before pouring in the next step.

Cheesecake layer:

16 oz cream cheese, room temp
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla

Cream the cream cheese and sugar well. Add eggs, one at a time until incorporated well. Add vanilla. Pour into cooled crust and bake @ 350 for 20 minutes. Remove and add sour cream layer.

Sour cream
16 oz sour cream
1 tbsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla

Mix all ingredients well. I pipe it on the top with a ziplock to get it on evenly and then smooth it with an offset spatula.

Put back in oven for 5 more minutes at 350. Cool on the counter for one hour, then refrigerate. This will take a minimum of 6 hours to set up in the fridge, but chilling overnight is preferred. It is a very creamy/custardy cheesecake. The dairy:egg:sugar ratio is just about 4:1:1 (the sugar is a little higher, but cream cheese also has some tartness to offset it).

The strawberry topping was just gilding the lily because i had some nice strawberries in. I made it by macerating the chopped strawberries with a little sugar, then bringing too a simmer in a saucepot (with a little extra water) and thickening with a slurry made from a little of the reserved strawberry juice and corn starch.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Maybe mix some melted and slightly cooled chocolate with some of the batter, then swirl that in? I would only do that on the cream cheese layer, and not the sour cream layer though.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You should put icing underneath because it holds it in place plus people get some icing because no one really eats the fondant.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Phummus posted:

You do. Isomalt would probably be a better choice. It doesn't crystallize as easy as cane sugar. If you do go with cane sugar, add some corn syrup to keep it from crystallizing into a cloudy, rather than clear solid.

Yeah, as long as you give it a good dollop of corn syrup you don't need any fancy isomalt.

My normal hard candy base:

1 cup sugar
1/4 cup water (it all gets cooked away anyway, the water just slows and even the cooking)
Couple of big squirts of corn syrup

Stir well, then put on medium heat. Give it a final stir once it boils and turns clear, then don't touch it until it reaches 295f. Take it off the heat, stir in any flavoring or color, then pour.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That's pretty great. What are the snowflakes made out of?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I had the hardest time finding cake flour here in the US until I realized it comes in a box not a bag like all the other flours.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I don't really post in this thread, I just admire the cool poo poo that everyone does but seriously gently caress that lady.

As an aside, why didn't you agree upon a price/receive payment in advance?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That's really cool looking. Frosting is a bit thick on top, but I wouldn't complain.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

vegemitesandwhich posted:

Thanks! I couldn't think of anything else to do with the extra whipped cream (at least not in the moment) so I just threw it on there. It was delicious and appreciated!

Yeah I missed in your initial post that it was whipped cream. You can never have too much whipped cream.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Light, heat and oxygen are all enemies of fat. Keeping it in a cool spot (ie not over the range), in a closed cabinet will make it last longer. Vegetable oil tends to have a longer shelf life than say extra virgin olive oil. Still, the smell test is your friend. It should smell clean, if it smells off to you it probably is.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Sunny Side Up posted:

New oil worked great and the cupcakes are all gone already! Only been at work for four hours. Thanks, guys. Could I have just subbed in butter? How do different fats function in different baked goods?

Butter is about 20% water, so simply subbing it in won't work. You could theoretically use more butter (to reach the right fat level) and less of another liquid called for in the recipe, but that's a lot of math and ultimately butter also has solids in it that will affect the flavor if nothing else. It will also give you a different texture since butter fat is solid at room temperature whereas your vegetable oil is not.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Definitely ask these questions in the food science thread. I'm sure lots of people will be able to answer.

As far as subbing in other fats, the short answer is yes, you could sub in any other oil or fat. However, different fats have different flavors, may be saturated or unsaturated, may be solid at different temperature, etc. All those things will slightly change your finished product. Some people insist on using lard or shortening for pie crusts, as they say it gives a better texture than butter. Butter gives good flavor though, so some people use half and half. I can't think of any fat that just plain wouldn't work for the cupcakes, although plenty will give you a flavor that is not good for a sweet dish.

As an aside, since I keep going back and forth between fat and oil, all oils are fats. In cooking terms, fats that are liquid at room temp are referred to as oil, and those that are solid at room temp are generally referred to as fat.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Muffy_the_Diver posted:

The only thing I would suggest is not to stabilize the whipped cream with gelatin; it's the first time I've ever worked with the stuff and it smelled like horses. it was awful.

I swear this varies from batch to batch. I've always use the powdered, and sometimes it smells super beefy and sometimes I barely notice it at all.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So I've been roped into making a graduation cake (college). Anyone have any good ideas? I do pretty well with fondant. I was thinking of doing a mortarboard cake, but I'm not sure what I would wrap the fondant around for the top of the hat. Plus that seems boring. Ideas?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is there some sort of trick to cutting fondant into the shape of found line art? Like I have a college logo that I want to recreate in fondant...what's the best way to do it?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

PezMaster posted:

I always trace my image on wax paper, lay the wax paper on top of the fondant, and use a pin or needle to poke holes where my lines are. Then, when you remove the wax paper, you just carefully cut your lines where your holes are. Kinda like connect the dots.

That's exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. Thanks!

And holy poo poo flood icing looks time consuming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I maked my cake. Didn't end up trying to recreate the mascot because the line work was too complex.

• Locked thread