Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
That looks great, was it a sponge?

My last cake was a chocolate cappucino sponge for my mom's birthday. I never made a sponge cake before and I think I overbeat the egg whites since it didn't have much rise. It had plenty of Kahlua and some coffee extract flavoring since I couldn't find espresso powder and didn't want to buy a big jar of instant coffee. Tasted fine but it was a lot of work to make the sponge and separate recipes for the filling and frosting.

I made three of these carrot cakes for my grandpa's 90th birthday party last year:

No nuts, no raisin, no pineapple. Cream cheese frosting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Third Murderer posted:

I've been having a strange craving for carrot cake lately. Can anyone recommend me a recipe?

It depends on what you do or don't like in it: pineapple, raisins, coconut, walnut.

I don't usually care for any of them except raisins. This is my recipe based off a King Arthur Flour recipe:

Makes one 9x13, two 9-inch round or three 8-inch round cakes.

Carrot Cake Ingredients
1 cup (7 ounces) vegetable oil
2 cups (14 ounces) sugar
4 large eggs
1 tablespoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon ginger
¼ teaspoon cloves
¼ to ⅛ teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 cups (8 ½ ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
3 cups (11 ½ ounces) finely grated carrots
6 ounces raisins

Beat together everything except the flour, baking soda, carrots and raisins.
Mix the flour and baking soda, then add to the wet ingredients.
Stir in the carrots and raisins.
Pour into a parchment-lined pan. I also use cooking spray above and below the parchment, this stuff loves to stick to anything.
Bake at 350 F until done. Time depends on the shape and size of the pan. Use the toothpick test. Say 35-40 minutes for 8 or 9-inch round pans. 55 for 9x13.
Loosen the edges and cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then turn out and cool on a rack.

Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
one 8-ounce package cream cheese
¼ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla
1-3 drops of Fiori di Sicilia (blend of citrus and vanilla, substitute orange or lemon extract, or skip if you're boring)
2 ½ cups (10 ounces) glazing sugar or confectioners' sugar
2-3 teaspoons milk, cream or water to adjust consistency of frosting, if necessary

Beat together butter and cream cheese until smooth.
Add salt (omit if using salted butter), vanilla and optional citrus flavoring.
Beat in powdered sugar in small batches.
Add a teaspoon of milk or cream if the frosting is too stiff to spread.
Add additional powdered sugar if it's too thin.

Royal icing is good for piping carrots and carrot leaves if you want to get fancy with decorations.

1 egg white
1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) confectioners' sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon lemon juice

Beat everything until you get stiff peaks. Separate and color as needed.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
It will be fine without raisins. Pineapple is the tricky one to add in since it's really hard to get them drained well, so you should considering reducing the oil or increasing the flour a little.

Even though I put a cup measure for flour, be sure to measure by weight. Measuring ingredients by weight is the easiest thing you can do to improve your baking.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

paisleyfox posted:

I need to figure out if cake spackle really works on my next cake, because no amount of chilling or freezing will ever get rid of that unsightly bulge. Usually I don't work with fondant so it's easier to hide...

It seems like a really good idea. I'll have to try it next time I do a layer cake.

I made Irish Car Bomb cupcakes for St. Patrick's day. I have never received so many "best cupcake I ever had" comments before. My favorite part was the Bailey's buttercream frosting, and I've got a cup or two of it leftover. :toot:

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
Those are cute. A mix of smile, frowns and Os could work. I think what they're missing is wings. Is there something you could stick in at diagonals for wings? Maybe banana chips? Probably too thick. Big dried coconut flakes? Or just some white frosting teardrops for wings.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
Black Forest Cake for Grampa's birthday on Memorial Day.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
You made your own birthday cake? I did too and my mom thought it was pretty strange.

I helped a buddy make banana nut cupcakes with peanut butter frosting for father's day. I'm usually not too impressed with the stuff I bake even though everyone else loves it. This time I was shocked at how good these were. If you like peanut butter and or banana bread then make these.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Can of you experts share an awesome swiss italian buttercream recipe with me?

I haven't tried it myself but there's a somewhat in-depth article on making Italian buttercream over at the King Arthur blog.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

Anyone have a good recipe for a really basic chocolate cake (with frosting)?

I was really pleased with the Instant Fudge frosting from SmittenKitchen.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
Great concept, love the variation on the sperm faces. What was the cake recipe?

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
Assuming pound cake counts as butter cake, I've used one from a King Arthur cookbook that I was happy with. This one on their site is pretty close to it: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/golden-vanilla-pound-cake-recipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

syntaxfunction posted:

I appreciate any tips or help, I'm still new to this whole "baking" thing. Please don't be too harsh :(

You will get better with practice. Probably the most important tip is to measure your flour by weight, not volume, with a digital scale.

• Locked thread