Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Electrickery
Apr 4, 2007
yes sir no sir don't come closer

Buildings and Food posted:

does anyone have a picture of that plaque in the texas state capitol that states that slavery wasn't the cause of the civil war. i saw it the last time i was in t-sip land but i forgot to take a picture.

saw it this summer, couldn't believe it

Click here for the full 717x538 image.

if you took out the parts of the texas capitol which deal with either the confederacy or the alamo you'd have no capitol left.

Click here for the full 689x517 image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Radd McCool posted:

Historical marker I saw in Florida

uh if the first white man died in combat there doesnt that means that was the first combat and where the first death of an indian by white men happened

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

George Broussard posted:

uh if the first white man died in combat there doesnt that means that was the first combat and where the first death of an indian by white men happened

Not if the Indians totally kicked rear end.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Electrickery posted:

saw it this summer, couldn't believe it

if you took out the parts of the texas capitol which deal with either the confederacy or the alamo you'd have no capitol left.

Click here for the full 689x517 image.

There's a memorial to the confederate dead in my hometown of Pensacola as well, very prominently placed downtown.

There are streets in town named for both Mallory and Perry; Stephen Mallory is also buried there. There is also a Davis Street, but that's a common enough name that I don't know that it's named for Jefferson Davis. Also I don't think I ever actually read the inscriptions before, and holy drat.

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...
there is a state in dire need of burning

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Broken Knees Club posted:

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

stubblyhead posted:

There's a memorial to the confederate dead in my hometown of Pensacola as well, very prominently placed downtown.

when Obama came to Raleigh he drew a crowd of 25,000 people less than 500 yards from the Monument to Our Confederate Dead

that's when I knew he would win

MC_
Sep 11, 2003

Billiam
Apr 14, 2002

NO HAIR DOWN BELOW!

stubblyhead posted:

There are streets in town named for both Mallory and Perry; Stephen Mallory is also buried there. There is also a Davis Street, but that's a common enough name that I don't know that it's named for Jefferson Davis. Also I don't think I ever actually read the inscriptions before, and holy drat.

i remember seeing that when i was seven and asking my parents why the confederates weren't all shot for treason

Billiam fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Dec 12, 2008

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

stubblyhead posted:

nooooooo

Hope you found peace, Bettie.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

Juan Berenguer
Feb 21, 2006

majesticonion posted:

an old thread in lf. your county fair is awesome. know anything else about the picture?
My sister took the photo. It's from a bad 4-H sponsored art competition, and if you look, you'll see it won 1st place. Regrettably, there was nothing else that was equally LF at the fair, unless you count the kids climbing all over the APC just outside the building.

Fermata
Jul 20, 2006

I be scrubbin', you be watchin' yo back

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Cowcatcher posted:

All it needs is a forlorn Bush in the background.

Aegri Somnia
Sep 19, 2006

by Fragmaster

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Aegri Somnia posted:

dealing wif it p. hard rite now

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Aegri Somnia posted:

this is p. accurate really

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Cowcatcher posted:

is this a photoshop or just a crazy angle? I can't even believe that I recognized both people in this. Six months ago I could maybe have gotten Sarkozy.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Except that christians believe in 1 and 3

Fiveace Attorney
Dec 12, 2006

I ain't his friend! If you were to ask me if I was his friend, I would say "NO" to you!

Aegri Somnia posted:

i agree, atheists are the smartest

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

NihilistCanada posted:

The cat is wall street, the stuffed chick is the bailout money. Not shown is the cat turd in the litter box, otherwise known as the taxpayer's return on the deal.

couldn't we make it "THOSE FUCKERS" and "OUR poo poo"

FAG LORD
Nov 5, 2008

Come
Break me down
Bury me, bury me
I am finished with you

Lamuella posted:

couldn't we make it "THOSE FUCKERS" and "THEIR poo poo"

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Dark Chicken
Dec 15, 2002
Here's a Confederate Memorial in Forest Park in St. Louis:

That's the Angel of the Spirit of the Confederacy above them.

Here's some of the inscriptions on the memorial:

Confederate Memorial posted:

To the Memory of the Soldiers and Sailors of the Southern Confederacy.

Who fought to uphold the right declared by the pen of Jefferson and achieved by the sword of Washington. With sublime self sacrifice they battled to preserve the independence of the states which was won from Great Britain, and to perpetuate the constitutional government which was established by the fathers.

Actuated by the purest patriotism they performed deeds of prowess such as thrilled the heart of mankind with admiration. "Full in the front of war they stood" and displayed a courage so superb that they gave a new and brighter luster to the annals of valor. History contains no chronicle more illustrious than the story of their achievements; and although, worn out by ceaseless conflict and overwhelmed by numbers, they were finally forced to yield, their glory, "on brightest pages penned by poets and by sages shall go sounding down the ages."

It also has this quote from Robert E. Lee:

Robert E. Lee posted:

We had sacred principles to maintain and rights to defend for which we were duty bound to do our best, even if we perished in the endeavor.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

:science101:

http://tesladownunder.com/

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

Not So Fast posted:

Holy poo poo. gently caress spinning rims, I'm riding with a loving FORCEFIELD on my car.

Fiveace Attorney
Dec 12, 2006

I ain't his friend! If you were to ask me if I was his friend, I would say "NO" to you!

Not So Fast posted:

holy gently caress

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Not So Fast posted:

hahaha thats awesome science rules

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

it's timelapsed, it really only revolves once every ten seconds :ssh:

LoRules
Aug 14, 2002
blairerickson's parachute account
the greatest battle in the war on drugs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KO73-WlOHhM&NR=1

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

LoRules posted:

the greatest battle in the war on drugs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KO73-WlOHhM&NR=1

No hope with dope? But...but choom? :ohdear:

Pissing Art
Jun 28, 2008

Look out honey,
'cause I'm abusing ontology

Mahatma Gandhi posted:

no it needs another athiest stepping in and saying 'that's offensive to other people's beliefs' to be completly accurate

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

Krinkle posted:

is this a photoshop or just a crazy angle? I can't even believe that I recognized both people in this. Six months ago I could maybe have gotten Sarkozy.

no dude they're totally an item

"oh yeah i hit that"

Mr.Flapjack
Oct 15, 2008

Tewratomeh posted:

I don't understand

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

Mr.Flapjack posted:

I don't understand

"It's funny cause I really do suck heh heh"

Fermata
Jul 20, 2006

I be scrubbin', you be watchin' yo back
Commie-Con '08

DaftWally
Dec 31, 2006

Why hast thou forsaken me?

Not So Fast posted:

:science101:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1O2jcfOylU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYHPZgq_Kgo&feature=related

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Anyone sitting on that Masque of Red Death cover of the New Yorker? I thought I had it, but no luck, and you can't do any kind of search for New Yorker covers without finding tons of people who somehow got around your search terms to talk about the loving Obama terrorist one.