Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«124 »
RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

uBlock origin and Ghostery working great for me. Basically the only time i see ads is when i'm deliberately unblocking something or if i've taken a really bad turn into a insanely shady corner of the internet.

Mithaldu posted:

joke's on you, you're still using chrome, just with a different coat of paintmemory management
i mean, that's the entire selling point of the article he linked, so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle!

Frankly, i don't believe that this is more than miniscule options tweaking, particularly since the Opera blog about Reborn doesn't even mention memory or resources, and when i tried to run it just now, it still used memory the same as Chrome does (on windows) and sites like amazon.com or twitter didn't feel any different in speed.

The article linked also contains quotes using words that don't even remotely appear in the same context as in the opera.com article.

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

"Unable to complete secure transaction"

It's sad times when you have to throw away a perfectly good browser because of minor things like being unsupported for three years and not supporting any modern crypto standards.
Can 12.18 still access the forums? I think that was released for Windows only.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

suffix posted:

"Unable to complete secure transaction"

It's sad times when you have to throw away a perfectly good browser because of minor things like being unsupported for three years and not supporting any modern crypto standards.
Can 12.18 still access the forums? I think that was released for Windows only.
Booted 12.18 up, SA forums seem to be working.

Did anything come of the source code leak?

lurksion fucked around with this message at Jun 21, 2017 around 22:59

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Curious here peeps. What is it you miss about Opera.old?

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Opera.old had the side-panel where you could filter the links on a page, and right-click download. When you buy a Humble Bundle, it doesn't package them up all nicely for you, you have to download each one by hand. Or filter for the filetype, and download them all at once.

The closest I've found is the Firefox extension DownThemAll. It's a little more powerful, but it's finicky in its own way. And it's Firefox-only.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle!

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Curious here peeps. What is it you miss about Opera.old?

I still use Opera 12 for most browsing, because no other browser has a "right-click + scroll to switch tabs" feature that doesn't suck complete balls, or is performant enough to actually use.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Why i still have it installed:
-Being able to view and manage the open Tabs in a side panel tree view with multi-select and drag and drop for tab groupings, including quick find and sorting.
-Persistently visible tab thumbnails simply by dragging a thing up and down.
-Very minimal screenspace use without having to use fullscreen mode. About half of what vivaldi/chrome uses.
-Edit site preferences lets you copy and edit cookies and other stuff better and faster than chromes poo poo
-Incredibly deep and varied opera:config dialog.

Things that were nice but aren't deal-breakers:
-Occasionally presentation modes like fit-to-width or author mode.
-opera:cache , opera:cpu and history search were all way better than chrome's equivalents
-fallback email/irc clients, though most of that stuff has moved to other devices at this point.

Things i dont miss: Opera Dragonfly not being local and available offline but loaded online from their server.

Vivaldi has me covered for pretty much everything else security relevant or multimedia related at this point though.

Tiggum
Oct 23, 2007

Mary Worth had an illicit affair with Refurb and kidnapped Sophie when she learned the truth. Little did Sophie know, but she was held in Apartment 3G under the watchful eye of The Phantom until Dick Tracy rescued her. Meanwhile, in spite of everything, Working Daze still sucked.

Mithaldu posted:

I still use Opera 12 for most browsing, because no other browser has a "right-click + scroll to switch tabs" feature that doesn't suck complete balls, or is performant enough to actually use.
I miss this. Vivaldi's version is unusable. What's so dificult about just giving me a list of window titles I can scroll up and down through? These side-by-side thumbnails are worthless. For one thing, only seven of them fit on-screen at one time, and for another, I often can't tell from the thumbnail what tab it even is.

RoadCrewWorker posted:

-fallback email/irc clients, though most of that stuff has moved to other devices at this point.
Having to install and figure out how to use Thunderbird was a huge pain, not even including the inconvenience of transferring all my feeds over.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

I think I must be one of the few who switched from Vivaldi to Opera. I have this irritating bug on multiple OS that locks up the browser and crashes it when I pan a Youtube video twice. Given that I use Youtube almost incessantly this became a infuriating thing. Both Chrome/Chromium and Vivaldi suffer from it. Safari was too limited and Opera seems to have all the features I need except for Chromecast.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

YouTuber posted:

crashes it when I pan a Youtube video twice.
I've watched thousands of hours of youtube on vivaldi (using the magic actions for youtube plugin) and am not sure what you mean by that. Like, run 2 videos simultaneously with one hard panned left and the other hard panned right?

Senor Dog
Jul 5, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Ever since the latest vivaldi update, SALR has been doing this

Anyone have an idea of how to fix it?

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

RoadCrewWorker posted:

I've watched thousands of hours of youtube on vivaldi (using the magic actions for youtube plugin) and am not sure what you mean by that. Like, run 2 videos simultaneously with one hard panned left and the other hard panned right?

Skip ahead or backwards in a video if I missed something. Buffering shouldn't hardlock the browser.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Is anyone else having issues with Vivaldi playing/displaying media? It's been slowly crapping more and more over poo poo, especially on Facebook. Videos will play at half sound speed sometimes, it doesn't want to load images, and I also have a whole bunch of Non-facebook websites that won't load images or music files in their streamer poo poo.

I am wondering if it maybe is a problem with uBlock Origin or Ghostery, which are the only two plugins I have installed, I believe. I haven't done much troubleshooting but I wanted to see if this was a common problem people are running in to or if I just hosed something up. It's frustrating because I love Vivaldi as a browser and the webpanel is something I use constantly, but it's getting close to unusable for a lot of what I do with my day :\

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

I have uBlock Origin installed and everything's working fine.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012
jokes

So Opera has privacy concerns? Is that a thing? I know it was bought by a Chinese company, but is there any credence to these claims or nah?

rapeface
Nov 5, 2004

rapeface

Has anyone tried using Vivaldi on a touch device? It's laggy as hell (as in 2-3 second lag, sometimes the touch doesn't register). Using a Surface Pro 3. Had to go back to Chrome, which is not bad with the slide to go back/forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

jokes posted:

So Opera has privacy concerns? Is that a thing? I know it was bought by a Chinese company, but is there any credence to these claims or nah?

I have a privacy concern but its not big enough to switch off chromeopera.

«124 »