Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.

Sergeant Hobo posted:

And in case anyone missed this from the last thread: Give feedback on Opera's UI.
Has anybody filled this out yet? What kind of things did you say?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I still wish OSX has MDI tabs. :smith:

gg
Jul 3, 2003

Pew Pew
I loved Opera to bits when I used it at work but at home I can't live without the Smoothwheel extension in Firefox. It's a long shot but is there a way to tweak the mouse wheel outside of that smooth scroll checkbox that really doesn't do anything?

Leempi
Apr 28, 2003

Mustach posted:

Has anybody filled this out yet? What kind of things did you say?

I did. I want Opera to be native to the system, and mostly complained about gradients, icons, os native widgets (buttons, checkboxes, scrollbars), lack of polish, lack of attention to detail (hi 1px white border on icons), lack of thought in contrast and information hierarchy (i.e address bar drop-down could be better), and lack of upside down tabs (or general thought put into tabs (and other toolbars) being in different places, i.e. if someone decided to put them on the side).

If Hicks can bring Opera up to scratch with his usual level of excellent, then the only thing i have left to complain about running it on OSX is lack of the OS spell check integration (no, Aspell sucks), and no use of the keychain.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies

gg posted:

I loved Opera to bits when I used it at work but at home I can't live without the Smoothwheel extension in Firefox. It's a long shot but is there a way to tweak the mouse wheel outside of that smooth scroll checkbox that really doesn't do anything?

Unfortunately that's one of the areas Opera has been strangely hesitant to provide options for. As always, I suggest adding your voice to the Wish-List forum. Opera ASA seriously DOES listen to users (though they sometimes don't give much feedback).

On another note, Opera Mini 4.2 beta was released a bit ago and supports syncing notes, brought back skins, and adds experimental video support on some phones.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Hahaha I just tried Opera on Ubuntu and it looks like poo poo. Font rendering does not respect system wide settings (sub pixel smoothing), uses weird custom GUI toolkit that looks really out of place and the 'Tango' theme really doesn't look like Tango.

Pity, I love speed dial & Opera Mini (<3)

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

my stepdads beer posted:

Hahaha I just tried Opera on Ubuntu and it looks like poo poo. Font rendering does not respect system wide settings (sub pixel smoothing), uses weird custom GUI toolkit that looks really out of place and the 'Tango' theme really doesn't look like Tango.

I use Opera in XFCE. As far as I can tell, fonts have always worked and looked fine. I've actually had more of an issue with Firefox giving me lovely fonts than with Opera. The GUI toolkit is Qt. Use qtconfig to adjust the theme. You might be able to find one that matches your system theme pretty well.

Opera being mismatched with the OS is a problem on any OS. They kind of do their own thing (look at the HTML form buttons, they don't match in any OS), which can look good or bad. I installed the Opera 9 theme, since I really don't like the black Opera 9.5 theme. It still doesn't match the OS, but I think it looks a lot better as I use a light-colored theme in XFCE too.

Git
Aug 21, 2004

If I want a shared-QT4, 64-bit build of Opera for Linux, am I hopelessly out of luck?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

my stepdads beer posted:

It uses QT and everything can be set in the QT stuff, it's not like they wrote their own GUI Toolkit.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Git posted:

If I want a shared-QT4, 64-bit build of Opera for Linux, am I hopelessly out of luck?

At the moment, yes. I don't think there's a shared Qt4 build on 32 bit yet either though. Qt 4 is still a bit new, at least in terms of people actually using it rather than Trolltech releasing it.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Casao posted:

It uses QT and everything can be set in the QT stuff, it's not like they wrote their own GUI Toolkit.

That explains why it looks terrible with Gnome then.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

my stepdads beer posted:

Everything looks terrible with Gnome :downsrim:

In all honesty, what's the complaint? Looks fine to me, looks like Opera does, generally.

Try grabbing that QT skin that pulls the GTK skin. It helps with this stuff in general.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

How do I get the audio on some YTMNDs to loop? For example on this one it plays once and then never again: http://familyguyroundtable.ytmnd.com/

hobolooter
Dec 25, 2006

my stepdads beer posted:

Grab the tango cl theme. It's the first thing I do whenever I install Opera. Universal look and feel across Mac, Windows, and Linux (Gnome). I especially like it under Gnome over FireFox. Faster/better/prettier.

Edit: Opera doesn't use paging for their theme comments so the tango cl page is ~250kb and brings Firefox to a crawl.

hobolooter fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Nov 17, 2008

the Dealy Lama
Apr 2, 2005
Hail Eris! Hail Eris! Hail Eris!
I had not thought of this before, even though I read this already and learned some tips on how to get opera to like the forums here more. But it just occured to me that I should ask here: how can I make the spoiler tags work, for me they show the text in white with a black background. No spoilering action here.

Little help?

cnrkb
Sep 29, 2008

The internet is
serious business

the Dealy Lama posted:

I had not thought of this before, even though I read this already and learned some tips on how to get opera to like the forums here more. But it just occured to me that I should ask here: how can I make the spoiler tags work, for me they show the text in white with a black background. No spoilering action here.

Little help?
Are you experiencing the problems "vanilla" (i.e. out of the box) or after applying some coding magic?

Jale
Nov 6, 2005

the Dealy Lama posted:

Little help?
I had this problem, go to Preferences > Web Pages> Uncheck the "Fit to Width" box.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Jale posted:

I had this problem, go to Preferences > Web Pages> Uncheck the "Fit to Width" box.

For some stupid reason, this isn't available as a Site Preference, might be time to put in a feature request.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Unanswered from the previous thread. Both computers in question have Opera 9.62

My work computer keeps me logged into awfulyearbook.com despite the info not being in the Wand, as far as I can see.

My home computer doesn't remember the password, and neither do I. I'd like to know if there's a way to copy whatever file(s) necessary to get my AYB login working at home, I've tried doing the password reset but for some reason haven't gotten it to work.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

sm8000 posted:

Unanswered from the previous thread. Both computers in question have Opera 9.62

My work computer keeps me logged into awfulyearbook.com despite the info not being in the Wand, as far as I can see.

My home computer doesn't remember the password, and neither do I. I'd like to know if there's a way to copy whatever file(s) necessary to get my AYB login working at home, I've tried doing the password reset but for some reason haven't gotten it to work.

Copy <opera settings dir>/cookies4.dat from your work PC to your home PC. This will overwrite all cookies on your home PC with all cookies on your work PC.

If you're not okay with this, you'll have to do it "manually" by opening up Tools -> Advanced -> Cookies on your work computer, searching for the AYB domain, then writing down (or copy/email, whatever) the cookies and their values, and adding them on your home computer.

Edit: Actually, I don't know how to add cookies, only edit existing ones. The overwrite method will work, but the "manual" method needs a bit more info to add cookies to a domain.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Thanks, I can remote my work PC and file transfer, so I'll try it in a bit.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Okay so I copied the .dat file from my work PC to here, and AYB is logged in. So far, so good.

Now, there are two sites that give me trouble in Opera. They don't give me trouble at work, but even with my work PC's .dat file copied here, they still don't work right.

One is Gmail, which hasn't worked right since I switched to SSL encryption for the sessions (not just the login). The other is Delphi Forums.

Gmail just sits on the loading <sm8000>@gmail.com page, until I click Load HTML View. Delphi just prompts me to log in repeatedly.

Oddly enough, Chase Bank used to not work for me, but after an upgrade or two ago it works fine anywhere I try it.

the Dealy Lama
Apr 2, 2005
Hail Eris! Hail Eris! Hail Eris!

Jale posted:

That's brutal that fit-to-width fucks that up, I really like using it. Usually I sit about 4-5 feet away from the screen with pages zoomed 200%. I think I can live with ruined spoilers though.

Of course, putting fit-to-width into the site preferences would also rule.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Heads up for Opera Mini users, 4.2 is out and skins are back! Also notes sync and the new North America server farm is operational!

Notes sync is my favorite. Being unemployed means looking for jobs and going to interviews, I am terrible at names and street addresses... so now i just jot in a note when I'm on the phone with names and places, and head off to the interview. Sync keeps my idiocy from showing! Thanks Opera.

Pogo Stick Eagle
May 5, 2004

Strange, yet symbolically compelling.
Opera Mini is just the most useful piece of software I ever used. It's not even funny how many hours I spent browsing the internet in places I shouldn't. Thank you Opera, I love you.

leadbuffalo
May 30, 2004

"I sense a grave danger approaching."
Opera 8.65 for Windows Mobile saves my password in the dictionary whenever I log in to something. Then it is visible every time I type the initial two letters. Is that fixable with Opera Mini?

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Apparently we're only a week away from the start of a new beta cycle for 10.0 with the updated rendering engine.

http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2008/11/28/the-baby-falcon-is-preparing-for-flight#comments

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Lakitu7 posted:

Apparently we're only a week away from the start of a new beta cycle for 10.0 with the updated rendering engine.

http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2008/11/28/the-baby-falcon-is-preparing-for-flight#comments

Excellent, looking forward to this.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Is anybody else having a problem with certain YouTube videos? After I exit out of a window or go back, Opera freezes for about 10 seconds and it's driving me crazy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtiU-JBzmAA

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003

Sporadic posted:

Is anybody else having a problem with certain YouTube videos? After I exit out of a window or go back, Opera freezes for about 10 seconds and it's driving me crazy.

They freeze every 5 seconds or so for me, annoying.

Hot Damn!
Oct 28, 2004

Sporadic posted:

It appears that this is on youtube's end and affects all browsers. Blocking "http://*.ytimg.com/yt/swf/PMS*" fixes it for me.

Try adding it to urlfilter.ini or whatever you use to block ads.

Hot Damn! fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Nov 30, 2008

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Is anyone else unable to load their Gmail inbox after enabling https for sessions?

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

EDIT: I'm a retard. :downs:

uncleTomOfFinland fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Dec 1, 2008

complex
Sep 16, 2003

Opera Mini for Google Android is out. http://labs.opera.com/downloads/

strokevictim
Oct 9, 2000

Anyone else seeing Google and iGoogle now being recognized as mobile and being redirected to Google's mobile versions? Seems to have just started sometime this evening.

Of all sites I would expect to know better, it's Google.

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->
Does anyone have problems doing online applications with Opera? Whenever I do the Unicrew application (for Best Buy, Borders, Circuit City, etc.), when I don't enter anything in the phone number field, it pops up a script error that doesn't stop, and the only way to close it is manually ending Opera's task. I have to do them in other browsers.

SimHuman
Jan 1, 2004

It's either real or it's a dream
There's nothing that is in between

strokevictim posted:

Anyone else seeing Google and iGoogle now being recognized as mobile and being redirected to Google's mobile versions? Seems to have just started sometime this evening.

This happened on my dad's computer today. I hope Google fixes it soon, because it freaked him out something fierce.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

strokevictim posted:

Started happening to me last night. Seems to be fixed this morning.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

If my laptop (macbook) crashes for whatever reason, and sometimes when opera crashes, my bookmarks loving disappear. This is the most irritating thing possible. I don't even keep bookmarks anymore because it's so damned frustrating.

Eventually I'll try to compile up what they used to be before the first time I lost them all and I'll just keep a backup of it. Hopefully this poo poo is fixed in 10.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

krylex posted:

If my laptop (macbook) crashes for whatever reason, and sometimes when opera crashes, my bookmarks loving disappear. This is the most irritating thing possible. I don't even keep bookmarks anymore because it's so damned frustrating.

Eventually I'll try to compile up what they used to be before the first time I lost them all and I'll just keep a backup of it. Hopefully this poo poo is fixed in 10.

You could just sync your account.