Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

mobby_6kl posted:

Good news everyone! Apparently the source code for Presto was leaked to Github and Bitbucket, so if somebody out there (or here) is brave enough to start a browser project based on stolen IP, we'll be finally saved from this Chrome oppression!

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/software/opera-presto-source-code-leaks-online/

:jackbud:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Anyone tried Opera Neon?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Why bother? It's chrome with a more animated (i.e. cpu-wasting) theme.

Edit: Oh yeah, and it has the "add copious amounts of artifacts to the memes you screenshot to other people" feature built-in right there!

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jan 21, 2017

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

At least they're trying to differentiate themselves from Chrome :shobon:

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

The animations use the GPU/iGPU, not the CPU.

In other news, Opera 64 bit is now available on Windows on the stable channel. It's a nippy little performer. I'm on Vivaldi these days but it's quite buggy and hard to recommend to laypeople.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

WattsvilleBlues posted:

In other news, Opera 64 bit is now available on Windows on the stable channel. It's a nippy little performer. I'm on Vivaldi these days but it's quite buggy and hard to recommend to laypeople.
I haven't found Vivaldi to be particularly buggy today for day-to-day use recently (aside from the typical Chrome pigginess), have you encountered anything major?

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

If I rapidly highlight and unhilight parts of webpages, Vivaldi crashes.

It does teach me about my OCD habits, though, which is nice I guess!

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

They use both. You can't send commands on stuff to the GPU without the CPU doing some prep work. And since those involve a lot of user interaction i doubt they're implemented entirely in shaders. (Though if they are, please prove me wrong, such shaders would be fascinating reading and educational.)

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Quidthulhu posted:

If I rapidly highlight and unhilight parts of webpages, Vivaldi crashes.

It does teach me about my OCD habits, though, which is nice I guess!

This happens to me too, drat I thought I was the only one.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Aunt Beth posted:

I haven't found Vivaldi to be particularly buggy today for day-to-day use recently (aside from the typical Chrome pigginess), have you encountered anything major?

Just small niggly things. I'm using the beta releases so I can't remember what I experienced in 1.6, one of them was that the delete button on the search field wouldn't delete anything. I think that's now resolved. At the moment, zooming the interface means that the browser close button isn't properly aligned for the very corner of the screen.

So nothing major, just things that you don't get on the release channels of other browsers.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Vivaldi is my main browser and it owns bones. Looks great on HiDPI and high resolution monitors, interface is simple, clean and minimalistic. I almost feel bad that I'm not paying for it.

Anyways, there is a simple problem and simple fix: if you want search suggestions from google in the address bar while you type you need to put this:

code:
https://www.google.com/complete/search?client=chrome&q=%s
in the "search URL" field in the Search > Search Engines area, and enable search suggestions in all the random places it is in the settings.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The one thing that's still pissing me off about Vivaldi is URL auto-completion, the way it gives you a page from your bookmarks or history instead of the home page. Like, I type "you" and instead of just giving me http://www.youtube.com it fills in the whole URL for a specific video.

If I type a slash on the end of that, then suggest more, but the first suggestion should always be the base URL.

Tiggum fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Feb 14, 2017

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I agree, that's a real dumb thing. Honestly, I wish it'd just ignore history and bookmarks altogether but whatever.

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I liked using Vivaldi, just could never get any sound to play be it Youtube or Twitch or soundcloud could never get sound to play, the video would play no problem just never sound.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm using Vivaldi full time nowadays as well. The URL auto-completion is infuriating, it seems to reset cookies each restart, and sometimes videos in yt, twitter and other places just stop working. But it's definitely the most Opera browser now so I have to use it :v:

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

jokes posted:

I agree, that's a real dumb thing. Honestly, I wish it'd just ignore history and bookmarks altogether but whatever.

Settings - Address Bar - Address Auto-Complete - Always Prefer Bookmarks

I haven't played around with it much to see what differences the setting makes though.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

It basically does nothing, actually. There's kind of a work-around though: just get a chrome extension that auto deletes history. Then you'll only get per-session history results and bookmark suggestions.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Or just turn autocomplete off and arrow down to suggestions.

mobby_6kl posted:

it seems to reset cookies each restart
Privacy -> Cookies controls this.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Except no matter what settings you choose, bookmarks and history will always be a part of the suggestions alongside search suggestions. It's a minor thing, but it's there. That's why I don't think that "enable address auto-complete" setting really does anything.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
I got myself into the habit of just typing a space after an address to defeat autocomplete. It's gross, but my fingers remember now.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Just found out about Vivaldi yesterday. Definitely has the Opera feel but I've ran into a weird bug where it doesn't end the vivaldi.exe tasks when closing the browser. Think it might be related to downloading a large file in the background. Caused youtube to keep playing sound even though I closed the tab, anyone else get this?

edit: Easy reproduce
Go here, start downloading 10Gbit test file: http://ovh.net/files
Play a youtube video with sound
Close Vivaldi

Task/youtube keeps playing. Even if you re-open vivaldi and stop the download then exit again, it continues. Have to kill the tasks with task manager instead.

Alpha Mayo fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 28, 2017

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Alpha Mayo posted:

Just found out about Vivaldi yesterday. Definitely has the Opera feel but I've ran into a weird bug where it doesn't end the vivaldi.exe tasks when closing the browser. Think it might be related to downloading a large file in the background. Caused youtube to keep playing sound even though I closed the tab, anyone else get this?

edit: Easy reproduce
Go here, start downloading 10Gbit test file: http://ovh.net/files
Play a youtube video with sound
Close Vivaldi

Task/youtube keeps playing. Even if you re-open vivaldi and stop the download then exit again, it continues. Have to kill the tasks with task manager instead.

Confirmed, nice find. I really like Vivaldi but I do find it a bit buggier than most of the other major browsers. IGN video is currently borked for me.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Did my part and submitted a bug report for it. I'll still try to get by with Vivaldi alone, hopefully I don't resort to installing Chrome. Definitely buggy enough that I can't recommend it to others yet though.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
So did anything interesting ever come out of that Opera source code leak?

I stopped following after about a week, but in that time I think someone got VP9 working.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

They took the approach of keeping the actual source repo off github, and doing the work on github with indirect repos:

quote:

you can get all patches here: https://github.com/PrestoXen/openopera-patches

if you found a bug in original presto code, submit issue here: https://github.com/PrestoXen/openopera-issues

https://geektimes.ru/post/284588/ (ru) (many useful tips)

https://www.reddit.com/r/operabrowser/comments/5nk69m/presto_engine_source_code_available_on_github/ (en) (many build tips translated from geektimes)

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Mar 29, 2017

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Can anyone recommend a replacement extension for Web of Trust?

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Well that's annoying. Updated to Vivaldi 1.9 and had a broken address bar that had no dropdown. Reverted back to 1.8 and somehow that trashed all my extensions. gently caress.

EDIT: OK...so reinstalling extensions kept their old settings, so it looks like the downgrade just made Vivaldi temporarily forget?? I'm confused, but whatever, things are back to normal. I'm getting curmudgeony.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Apr 29, 2017

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, 1.9 has issues. It changed my default address bar search to a random other search (from Bing). On one PC it changed it to Solarwinds, on another to YouTube.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
It also destroyed the ability to play anything on Youtube Live (stuck on loading the video) on my Macbook Pro Retina (2012) or use Chromecast (simply doesn't do anything) in Vivaldi. 1.9 should have been tested quite a bit more to be honest.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Decius posted:

It also destroyed the ability to play anything on Youtube Live (stuck on loading the video) on my Macbook Pro Retina (2012) or use Chromecast (simply doesn't do anything) in Vivaldi. 1.9 should have been tested quite a bit more to be honest.

IGN video hasn't worked for me in months. I think there are only 35 developers working on it or something?

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I switched from Chrome to Opera this morning after reading Jason Koebler go ga ga over it and yea it's good. I don't keep a kazillion tabs open but I'm noticing things are snappier and the UI doesn't bug me the way Opera used to.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

That said, it really bugs me that the first option when I select text is "search" and not "copy". It's very clearly a gambit to get more search dollars and it feels gross.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

an actual dog posted:

I switched from Chrome to Opera this morning after reading Jason Koebler go ga ga over it and yea it's good. I don't keep a kazillion tabs open but I'm noticing things are snappier and the UI doesn't bug me the way Opera used to.
Now that you've switched to Opera you should switch again to Vivaldi. The first option when you select text is copy!

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

lol no

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
I switched to Vivaldi after the first time a Chinese company tried to buy Opera, and I couldn't be happier. Now that a Chinese company actually owns Opera, I feel pretty good about my decision.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Vivaldi owns bones, haven't had any issues on the latest version of 1.9 (or any other versions), runs all chrome plugins i want, the Hibernate poo poo is insanely cool with 50-100 tabs, moreso if most of those are video or audio heavy soft bookmarks

Condolences to anyone who doesn't feel insanely comfortable with their browser in 2017

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Vivaldi owns bones, haven't had any issues on the latest version of 1.9 (or any other versions), runs all chrome plugins i want, the Hibernate poo poo is insanely cool with 50-100 tabs, moreso if most of those are video or audio heavy soft bookmarks

Condolences to anyone who doesn't feel insanely comfortable with their browser in 2017

Ah, but it can't play videos on IGN properly, hasn't done for the past few months.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

What adblocker is everyone using with Vivaldi nowadays? uBlock origin seems a little weird with it.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

an actual dog posted:

joke's on you, you're still using chrome, just with a different coat of paint

then again, so is vivaldi

you cannot escape! (other than by using the browser to use the name opera and not be a fraud, v12)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Quidthulhu posted:

What adblocker is everyone using with Vivaldi nowadays? uBlock origin seems a little weird with it.

What do you find weird with it? It works.