Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alltoohuman
Jul 26, 2007

Shut up, Marx.

Greenfield posted:

I didn't have setpoint installed. I just installed it after alltoohuman said middle click would open new tab. It doesn't work either way. It just changes how smooth the scroll wheel goes.

It should definitely open what you click on in a new tab. Witness:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Greenfield
Jan 27, 2005

tjume posted:

I'm also using a MX Revolution and Middle Click works fine for opening new tabs.
You'll have to define the micro button (number 6) or the scrollwheel click as "Mouse:3. Middle Button" in Setpoint.
It's been a while since I configured my mouse, so I'm not sure if this works with vanilla Setpoint or if you need uberOptions for that.

Thanks. That did it. I just never messed with setpoint, so I didn't know what to set it to.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
They must have every single developer in the company working on finishing 10.5 in time.

Windows build Mac beta.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Well I haven't tried the latest build yet, but the Beta 2 is like some kind of miracle compared to the previous releases. After running for more than 24 hours straight and with 7 tabs currently open (and maybe 70 which were opened and closed) GDI is at just 320 (calc.exe has ~160) and RAM at 250MB. Well done guys, I hope the final release is even better than this.

One thing I noticed though is that the pop-up thumbnails for some tabs appear on my second monitor for no good reason. This behavior doesn't happen when the tabs are on the left side, but reappears when I put them back at the bottom. The mouse is hovering over the tab next to the SA one:

And a few image-related things that are small and probably only annoying because I'm not used to them. First, it seems that if an image fails to load for some reason, the context menu isn't available for it so there's no way to check its URL without digging through the source. Also, Inspect Element is now the bottommost item on the context menu for images instead of Image Properties, so I click it accidentally all the time. This should be possible to change in the ini files so it's not a big deal, but maybe that placement isn't by design.

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->
For those interested in the Ogg Theora vs. H264 debate, Ars Technica just wrote an article covering this topic. It basically concludes that the best option would actually just be Google making their VP8 codec free and it becoming the new standard--and I could see that happening, if it turns out to be a good codec. Since Google owns YouTube, they could get the ball rolling on widespread adoption.

Cosmopolitan fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Feb 26, 2010

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Anunnaki posted:

For those interested in the Ogg Theora vs. H264 debate, Ars Technica just wrote an article covering this topic. It basically concludes that the best option would actually just be Google making their VP8 codec free and it becoming the new standard--and I could see that happening, if it turns out to be a good codec. Since Google owns YouTube, they could slowly implement VP8 and get the ball rolling on widespread adoption.

Even if it's a great codec, you're asking Google to either:

a) Store all of youtube's videos twice

b) Cut off the flash video player and rewrite the video player for all of the smartphones (which some of them would lose the hardware acceleration for)

Youtube videos are converted and stored as h264 because Flash player can natively play that and all of the mobile devices that have a Youtube app use this format to get the video. It's also part of the mpeg4 standard and has hardware acceleration and a lot of devices use this. This is just Google/Youtube too, don't forget all of the other flash sites that already use it.

h264 is the de facto standard for a reason. I'm not against using something else that's technically on par with h264, but they're going to have to come up with some AMAZING benefits to outweigh the enormous downsides and costs with using anything else. Ogg is not this, and I'm not aware of anything else that provides these incentives.

Here's a pretty good read from an x264 developer on the topic of HTML5 video and replacing flash. It also goes in to VP8, or at least what we can guess about it, since there's still gently caress all information on it.

EVGA Longoria fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Feb 26, 2010

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

What's a good native looking skin for Windows 7 with the new 10.5 beta? I'd like to keep my tabs in the window frame like the default skin but move them up a little bit :)

Look how big the gap is:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Casao posted:

h264 is the de facto standard for a reason. I'm not against using something else that's technically on par with h264, but they're going to have to come up with some AMAZING benefits to outweigh the enormous downsides and costs with using anything else. Ogg is not this, and I'm not aware of anything else that provides these incentives.

I'd love if h264 were a viable option. I'm sure you're correct that it is the best current codec. But it's patent-encumbered. If you can't freely implement and distribute a version of the standard, you simply can't make it a required part of viewing content on the web. There really is no two ways about this. It doesn't matter how awesome it is if you can't legally use it.

Obviously the correct solution is to eliminate software patents. But until that happens, we have to choose the best codec from those that are actually legal to use.

arcticthunder
Jan 22, 2008
Is there any news about the status of opera mobile for the iphone/ipod touch?

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
So I'm transitioning into this "everything in the titlebar" approach and it's all conclusively awesome except for the loss of the current page's title in the titlebar. I apparently use it as a reference quite often to assist in keeping my train of thought.

So in terms of the realm of the possible, how can I get the page title back onto the screen in some fashion? Javascript, usercss, widget, specialized Opera skin, some floaty thing? Even if it's truncated to a few dozen letters I think it would keep my scattered mind in focus.

Could the active tab be "wide" even when there are so many tabs open the rest are all down to favicons?
Could a big button be made which displayed text of the current page's title?
Could the status bar on the bottom have a text field added to it of the current page title?
Maybe a javascript which would float letters or semitransparent letters with a draggable handle?
Perhaps one of the existing but personally unused bars could be coopted and reskinned to be very thin and display the page title?

I'm kind of exploring what could be done and then settle into figuring out how to do it. What options do I have? I'm on WinXP, if that matters.

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->
Yet another bug-fixing snapshot for Windows and Unix. They are just cranking these out like clockwork.

Edit: Oh, whoops, I just got the RSS feed. My bad. :doh:

Cosmopolitan fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Feb 26, 2010

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Anunnaki posted:

Yet another bug-fixing snapshot for Windows and Unix. They are just cranking these out like clockwork.
That's the same one as posted 8 posts up.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Yeah, the desktopteam RSS has been really slow to update for a while now. :(

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Lakitu7 posted:

Yeah, the desktopteam RSS has been really slow to update for a while now. :(
It's basically useless. If your build supports auto-updates, enable snapshot auto-updates opera:config and use the Check for updates sporadically.

sbt
Jan 13, 2006

squonk
Tortured By Flan

my stepdads beer posted:

What's a good native looking skin for Windows 7 with the new 10.5 beta? I'd like to keep my tabs in the window frame like the default skin but move them up a little bit :)

Look how big the gap is:

Go to opera:config#UserPrefs|ChromeIntegrationDragArea

set it so something smaller and restart opera

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Are there any plans for better ways of backing up/exporting saved wand passwords? There are a few different files you have to copy out of the profile folder to save them the way it is now.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

DuckConference posted:

Are there any plans for better ways of backing up/exporting saved wand passwords? There are a few different files you have to copy out of the profile folder to save them the way it is now.

What are you talking about? The only file you need is wand.dat

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2010/02/27/a-small-changelog

New build. The changelog is ridiculous and way too long to paste in so I will use their own summary:

quote:

Highlights
MDI work
Stability work
Bookmarks fixes
Opera Link fixes
Private Browsing improvements
Mail fixes
<video> seeking work (although <video> is not working in this build)

Known Issues
HTML5 <video> is not working
Using Inspect Element can crash Opera
Crash when setting Web page image as Speed Dial background via context menu

The Knowns aren't so bad, so I think I will be updating.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I found an image I liked online, but for some reason, I could not reach the site again. Is the image cached somewhere? I can't seem to find a picture cache folder.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
The cache on disk all uses hashed names that don't even have extensions so it'd take a lot of work to use it. Browse the cache from within the browser by typing
opera:cache
into the urlbar.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I love the new opera:cache which actually doesnt freeze for 2 minutes when theres a few thoussand elements. Really useful to grab audio/video from pages who don't offer an obvious download link.

Garmann
Nov 4, 2009
Grimey Drawer

arcticthunder posted:

Is there any news about the status of opera mobile for the iphone/ipod touch?

It's actually opera mobile mini they're planning on releasing. Opera mobile will probably never pass the requirement for programs not being allowed to run interpreted code on the iPhone. The mini might pass because all code is run on a proxy before being sent to the phone for display.

Last thing I read was that Håkon Wium was confident that the mini would be on the app store soon. Hell, Apple even called Opera to talk to them about the mini.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

Lakitu7 posted:

New build. The changelog is ridiculous and way too long to paste in so I will use their own summary:

Christ, whose basement are the devs all locked in? Do they get fed if they average 2 builds a week or something?

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

sbt posted:

Go to opera:config#UserPrefs|ChromeIntegrationDragArea

set it so something smaller and restart opera

You the man!

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

Lakitu7 posted:

The new transparent tabs look really nice, and it appears memory usage is a bit better in this build. They are really spoiling us with these. :3:

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Windows RC.

Garmann
Nov 4, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Hm, the RC is a lot less buggy but for some reason i can't get it to turn off the windows 7 taskbar jumplist. Having that on just isn't acceptable because all I get is a long list and it makes going back to the browser a real bitch.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Thyrus posted:

Hm, the RC is a lot less buggy but for some reason i can't get it to turn off the windows 7 taskbar jumplist. Having that on just isn't acceptable because all I get is a long list and it makes going back to the browser a real bitch.

You can make pretty much any program stop having any Win7-specific features (like jump lists and the like) by running them in Vista compatibility mode. Find the EXE or shortcut, go to the properties, then the "Compatibility" tab. This works even if the program itself doesn't have a "turn off jump lists" sort of option, like with MSN Messenger or Steam or something.

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

Blodskur posted:

Windows RC.

Aww, they got rid of the transparent tabs. :( Any way to make these come back?

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Aw gently caress, the RC overwrote my 10.10 install, and they still haven't fixed the flash rendering with tab dragging among other issues.

Garmann
Nov 4, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Heresiarch posted:

You can make pretty much any program stop having any Win7-specific features (like jump lists and the like) by running them in Vista compatibility mode. Find the EXE or shortcut, go to the properties, then the "Compatibility" tab. This works even if the program itself doesn't have a "turn off jump lists" sort of option, like with MSN Messenger or Steam or something.

Yeah I know but in opera:config here is an option for turning it off but that just does not work. At least it doesn't for me.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Great, a couple of pages i regularly visit are broken in 10.50, with stuff ranging from broken input, to broken flash, to broken forms, to broken rendering. gently caress me, that's what i get for not reading the fineprint, downgrading is going to be a loving pain.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Thyrus posted:

Ctrl+Click the icon = open last used window of that application.

Taskbar Overlord lets you set this to be the default single click behavior for clicking the icon (which is 10x more efficient imo).

Drop the time delay for showing the icons when you hover to 50ms and Windows 7 becomes 100x as usable with enormous peek displays.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Casao posted:

Ctrl+Click the icon = open last used window of that application.

Didn't know that. Thanks.

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009
10.50 RC is crashing for me way more than 10.50b2 for some reason. Going to have to stick with the ole' reliable Seamonkey until things clear up

GuyGizmo
Feb 26, 2003

stupid babies need the most attention
So I just got myself a new Mac, and copied over all of my Opera settings from my old Mac's home folder to my new mac. Lo and behold I discover that everything copied over fine, except all of my emails. My mail account settings, contacts, and filters are all there, but the individual emails are all gone.

Upon further investigation I find out that this is because all of the binary data files Opera uses for storing mail don't take into consideration byte order. My old Mac was a PPC G5, my new Mac is, of course, intel. And now it looks like there's no way for me to fully recover my email.

I'm trying to import the individual mbx files from my old mail account and that's not working either. It imports the individual messages and their subjects but their body is blank.

I believe this is the last straw. I'm not using Opera's mail client anymore - it sucks rear end. I've had far too many problems where all of the mail data just gets corrupted or something.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Is there not even an export function that you can use on your old mac to convert it into some other format, transfer, and import back?

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Windows RC 2.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Blodskur posted:

Windows RC 2.

Opera posted:

Known Issues
Browser/UserJS does not work
Skipping this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Mithaldu posted:

Skipping this one.

Yeah, I can't see the logic in releasing this. The sheer volume of bug reports for broken web browsing related to this seems to make any value of this update worthless.