Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Wheany posted:

The minimum font size setting was apparently removed.

Look at this text:goinggoinggone
It's still there. I use that feature myself, and it's working just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

gibbed posted:

It's still there. I use that feature myself, and it's working just fine.

Okay, found it (preferences > advanced > fonts), but they made the default 0? I think it used to be 9, and I haven't touched it, so maybe the update made it 0.

I don't care, at least for now. Maybe if web page authors have been dicks all this time and using unreadibly small fonts without me knowing about it, I'll increase the limit.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Wheany posted:

Okay, found it (preferences > advanced > fonts), but they made the default 0? I think it used to be 9, and I haven't touched it, so maybe the update made it 0.

I don't care, at least for now. Maybe if web page authors have been dicks all this time and using unreadibly small fonts without me knowing about it, I'll increase the limit.
I totally agree. Pretty sure the default is 0, I've had it set to 12 for years though, so I could be wrong.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Mine was set to 1...

Bumped it up to 8 and things look a bit more normal now.

SpectacuLars
Oct 22, 2010
I actually bumped mine way down. It's still readable decipherable to me at very low numbers, and I'd like to give the wysiwyg-people a tiny chance to prove to me why I should break their ridiculous tables with my enforced text hugeness. I have yet to stumble upon a site that has misused or botched up their font sizes.

Edit: gently caress. Just as I say that, I have to get proven wrong. On this very forum. :(

SpectacuLars fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Dec 8, 2011

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Well crap. I didn't know what y'all were talking about so I went and looked at it myself. Mine was set to 9, I set it to 1 and saw what it did. Okay, so I set it back to 9. Still small. Closed and reopened Opera, confirmed that it was at 9, still small when I'm typing a message in Gmail.

Help! :(

EDIT: Well I increased the font size in Gmail and it's back to normal. False alarm I guess?

TITTIEKISSER69 fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Dec 9, 2011

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I'm not even sure why mine changed with the update.

Has it got anything to do with screen resolution or window size, I wonder?

Prize Loser
Nov 28, 2005

It's casual Friday! Pants are optional!
So I've been switching between Chrome and Firefox for the past few years. This time when I got fed up with Firefox I didn't feel like dealing with the problems I have with Chrome for a month or two, so I thought I'd try Opera. So far I've been able to get everything either exactly how I like it or close enough that I can adapt to the differences. Except one thing.

I know Opera doesn't currently have the functionality built in, but is there an extension that securely syncs the full browser history between computers or some other hackish way I could do it*? This is something I've grown to rely on and I'd really, really like to have that functionality in Opera.

*I've managed to sync the history insecurely by using symlinks and Dropbox. I don't really want Dropbox to have my browser history in plaintext, and adding truecrypt to the mix would just make the system more difficult to use. There's also a weird issue where while the browser has access to the full history, it doesn't change the color of links in the history file properly (which would be really helpful for Reddit). I haven't the foggiest idea why, though.

Edit: Also, is there a way to disable the automatic context menu popup when you double-, triple- or quadrouple-click on text to highlight it? I use keyboard shortcuts to copy, and the popup blocks ctrl+c.

Prize Loser fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Dec 10, 2011

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Prize Loser posted:

I know Opera doesn't currently have the functionality built in, but is there an extension that securely syncs the full browser history between computers or some other hackish way I could do it*? This is something I've grown to rely on and I'd really, really like to have that functionality in Opera.

Doesn't Opera Link do what you need? Sorry, I don't use such features myself so I'm not at all sure, but I thought that's what it is for.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Prize Loser posted:

Edit: Also, is there a way to disable the automatic context menu popup when you double-, triple- or quadrouple-click on text to highlight it? I use keyboard shortcuts to copy, and the popup blocks ctrl+c.

Preferences -> advanced -> toolbars -> Double click text to display context menu

Prize Loser
Nov 28, 2005

It's casual Friday! Pants are optional!

Shy posted:

Doesn't Opera Link do what you need? Sorry, I don't use such features myself so I'm not at all sure, but I thought that's what it is for.

It only syncs typed history, ie things you type in the address bar. For me, this is essentially nothing. It also misses exactly 100% of the things that I would look for in my history.

Wheany posted:

Preferences -> advanced -> toolbars -> Double click text to display context menu

Thanks!

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I think this has been mentioned before, but Opera's disk cache behavior seems to be to save everything to disc and never delete until exit, where it does all this silently in the background in between closing the window and actually termining the process. The option to choose how much disk space to use seems to govern only how much it keeps between sessions, not how much it uses at any given time.

My disc cache is set to 20MB yet I'll find that at a given time it may be using as much as a gig of space in the cache directory. I think this is because of my behavior of leaving everything open and putting my system to sleep every night, which means that Opera may be running for months at a time while under heavy use. When the cache gets this huge, the cleanup at shutdown may take ridiculous amounts of time like 5+ minutes.

If when cleaning up such a huge cache at exit, the process terminates before it finishes (e.g. because Windows forces it to, during a system shutdown), the cache stays and it tries to do it at startup, which means when you try to start it up it silently does (visually) nothing while a process churns in the background. I only figured out what the heck it was actually doing in this case by firing up Process Explorer and watching the disk accesses.

So I guess the lesson here is to either not run the browser without quitting for days at a time, or open up preferences and click the "empty now" button to wipe the cache manually on occasion.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Or you start running Opera on an SSD.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Lakitu7 posted:

I think this has been mentioned before, but Opera's disk cache behavior seems to be to save everything to disc and never delete until exit, where it does all this silently in the background in between closing the window and actually termining the process.

Yeah, this is infuriating and has been a feature of Opera since forever. I mean, how hard could it be to create a cleanup routine every hour to match the desired cache size?

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

I was accessing sabnzbd with opera jsut fine prior to 11.6, but now I seem to have a problem. Previously, I could use the url [url]http://[/url][::1]:8111/queue/ to access the web interface, but now it complains that is has invalid characters. Using localhost or 127.0.0.1 has never worked with opera, so how does opera want me to say localhost in IPv6?

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

DuckConference posted:

I was accessing sabnzbd with opera jsut fine prior to 11.6, but now I seem to have a problem. Previously, I could use the url http://[::1]:8111/queue/ to access the web interface, but now it complains that is has invalid characters. Using localhost or 127.0.0.1 has never worked with opera, so how does opera want me to say localhost in IPv6?
This is probably a terrible way to get around the issue, but could you not edit your hosts file and add a dummy entry for it?

repeater
Dec 21, 2001

"Choo-Choo"
The Hurkey Jerkey Dancer

Prize Loser posted:

So I've been switching between Chrome and Firefox for the past few years. This time when I got fed up with Firefox I didn't feel like dealing with the problems I have with Chrome for a month or two, so I thought I'd try Opera. So far I've been able to get everything either exactly how I like it or close enough that I can adapt to the differences. Except one thing.

*I've managed to sync the history insecurely by using symlinks and Dropbox. I don't really want Dropbox to have my browser history in plaintext, and adding truecrypt to the mix would just make the system more difficult to use. There's also a weird issue where while the browser has access to the full history, it doesn't change the color of links in the history file properly (which would be really helpful for Reddit). I haven't the foggiest idea why, though.

I actually use unison for this, and it's kept all the settings on all my computers in sync without me having to lift a finger for years.

http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unison_(file_synchronizer)

It's pretty painful to learn all the syntax and get your configs set up right the first time, but after that it should just keep chugging without needing any babysitting. It can talk ssh as well, so you can keep things encrypted when you sync stuff outside your local network.

It apparently has a decent GUI so that might make it easier to dive in to, but I've never looked at it since I wrote all my configs back before it had one and haven't had to tweak much since then.

If any of that sounds like a horrible ordeal, it probably is going to be and I'd just wait until someone writes a specific opera sync plugin or opera link starts to do what you want or something. Just throwin it out there since it's worked great for me for years.

Oh, and the history thing just sounds like they never thought to code in "hey what would happen if someone swapped out the global-history.dat file underneath us" beyond just making sure it loads up ok on the next run. I actually exclude that file from syncing because I like leaving the history on each computer, so I never noticed that problem.

I'm assuming because of that behavior that means the visited history actually lives outside the normal .dat files and in the cache somewhere or something.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

DuckConference posted:

I was accessing sabnzbd with opera jsut fine prior to 11.6, but now I seem to have a problem. Previously, I could use the url [url]http://[/url][::1]:8111/queue/ to access the web interface, but now it complains that is has invalid characters. Using localhost or 127.0.0.1 has never worked with opera, so how does opera want me to say localhost in IPv6?

In sabnzdb+, change Config-General - Host to 127.0.0.1. Then use http://127.0.0.1:8080/ as the link in Opera. That works fine for me, using sabnzdb+ 0.6.14.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Has anyone managed to get this Fancy SA forums extensions going in Opera yet?
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3423378

Afaik it's just JS and CSS, I might have a crack but I have never made an Opera Extension before.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Does the memory cache option even do anything? I set it to 400mb, and yet Opera is using 1.8 gigs of RAM.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

As said a few posts above, it's probably "between sessions" and not during the current one.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

As said a few posts above, it's probably "between sessions" and not during the current one.

The memory cache, not the disk cache. As far as I know it's just duplicating part of the disk cache into memory and Opera's total memory usage is more dependent on other things I have no idea about.

Worthless Poster
Nov 3, 2011
I think my favorite thing about Opera is being able to tell it to refresh/redraw after 20 seconds. That way whenever something pops up it is either entirely loaded or usable.

I'm on a cable internet connection, but I'd probably use this on a 56k connection as well.

That and I can tell it to save images for a week. I suppose technically I don't really have to stress out over being a bandwidth hog, but if it helps my pages load nearly instantaneously, then I'm all for it. The text part of things is pretty much a non-issue, for what should be obvious reasons.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Hey cool, 64-bit builds and out-of-process plug-ins are coming:
http://dev.opera.com/articles/view/64-bit-opera-and-out-of-process-plug-ins/

Not that I've had any problems with Opera crashing for a long time anyway, but out-of-process plug-ins are still a good idea.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Wheany posted:

Hey cool, 64-bit builds and out-of-process plug-ins are coming:
http://dev.opera.com/articles/view/64-bit-opera-and-out-of-process-plug-ins/

Not that I've had any problems with Opera crashing for a long time anyway, but out-of-process plug-ins are still a good idea.

Flash is still locking up Opera good every now and then.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

DuckConference posted:

http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2011/12/23/lillejulaften
I'm guessing this fix on the latest build is relevant:
CORE-42685 IPv6 IP literal URLs "Invalid"

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
Given how Opera Next seems to be a semi-abandoned concept I've been toying with the idea of just moving over to Labs builds for being able to goof around with the latest features.

It just strikes me as silly that Next is supposed to be this "see what is coming in future versions" pseudo-beta, but lately almost all the actual updates have hit Labs, or hit the main 11.x release first(like the new email layout)

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Cuntpunch posted:

Given how Opera Next seems to be a semi-abandoned concept I've been toying with the idea of just moving over to Labs builds for being able to goof around with the latest features.

It just strikes me as silly that Next is supposed to be this "see what is coming in future versions" pseudo-beta, but lately almost all the actual updates have hit Labs, or hit the main 11.x release first(like the new email layout)

Features in the labs build don't always make it into the full release.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

Mithaldu posted:

Features in the labs build don't always make it into the full release.

Well it isn't just that, but like today I see that they have a new development snapshot for 11.61 - I thought Next was supposed to be the 'development snapshot' build. Are these updates already included in Next, are they unique only to 11.61's dev snapshots? Where did they come from any why are the pushing out test builds of the stable version when they have an entire 'test version' in Next?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Cuntpunch posted:

Well it isn't just that, but like today I see that they have a new development snapshot for 11.61 - I thought Next was supposed to be the 'development snapshot' build. Are these updates already included in Next, are they unique only to 11.61's dev snapshots? Where did they come from any why are the pushing out test builds of the stable version when they have an entire 'test version' in Next?

Next is 12.00, which has some incompatibilities with 11.60, mainly the email format is not backwards compatible. 12.00 will likely take some more time to complete, especially because it also has the hardware rendering stuff. So my guess is that the UI team has nothing better to do and chooses to implement stuff for the next 11.70 or whatever, which has a greater audience at the moment, rather than letting people on 11.60 wait until 12.00 is done.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
I've been having a serious spate of "Not Responding" experiences with Opera lately (like a dozen multi-second ones each day). Any tips on this outside of rebuilding from a fresh install (which is a chore)? I try and Delete Private Data once or twice a day to keep things lean but it still feels like Opera is sluggish as hell.

I should say that my browsing is pretty tab heavy (probably 30+) but it seemed like 10-early 11 version Operas handled it well. It still has the glacial closing time (5 or so minutes) like it always but that never seemed to have an effect on regular browsing but now I feel like it's just not quick anymore.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Buy an SSD. :)

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
https://plus.google.com/106303841988408974064/posts/5s4nkCDkSb3

quote:

We are happy to announce that Google updated Google+ and the Google Toolbar. It now works like a charm in Opera!

This was one of my largest annoyances. It took far too long, but it's good news for a lot of us here, I imagine.

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.
Does anyone know how to change the icons of websites on the speed dial? Not every site I have has an extension for it and I hate at looking at the crappy website, I would much prefer to have a nice looking icon for it.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
There was a laborious procedure before but on a hunch I checked and there's an extension that does it now.

Can't vouch for it but I'm going to play around with it myself because the lack of built in logo selection has seemed like a ridiculous thing to not have included by now.

https://addons.opera.com/en/addons/extensions/details/forcespeeddiallogos/1.4.1/

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Not bad!

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.

Lovie Unsmith posted:

Not bad!

Did you get that using the extension, it doesn't really work for me.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Yep, I installed it then refreshed my thumbnails.

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.

Lovie Unsmith posted:

Yep, I installed it then refreshed my thumbnails.

For me all it really got was YouTube. It didn't get Twitter, ESPN, SA, sites that I figure it shouldn't have an issue with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Yeah, I'm getting really discouraging results. I can alter Youtube's icon but not Yahoos (still just getting a page thumbnail) and can't alter anything else I've tried whether or not it's on the preconfigured list.

I even downgrade from 12 to 11.6 just in case it was currently incompatible. I'm thinking of doing a rebuild so I'll see if a fresh install behaves better.

Edit: I just did a parallel install of both 12 and 11.6 and and it works for some sites but not for others and I could never get it to work with custom thumbnails for sites not on the default list (couldn't give somethingawful or forums.sa a thumbnail). I could alter Amazon and Ebay right out of the box but it couldn't alter Yahoo so I have no clue what's going on. It works and doesn't work.

For custom sites, it's kind of insane. I can poach some of the icons from the default list and make them work, for example I can give somethingawful the built in icon for Amazon or Ebay. In this case the icon for Ebay is from their website and Amazon's is hosted on imageshack. But I can't upload my own image to imageshack and make it work. I have no clue what is going on.

Edit2: I feel extremely dumb now. In the page for this extension he recommends changing these options to make it more compatible. Change these and it works quite well.
opera:config#UserPrefs|ThumbnailIconMinWidth
should be changed to 30
opera:config#UserPrefs|ThumbnailIconMinHeight
should be changed to 20
And then click Save.

Without these recommendations many of the default icon changes don't work. Change it and it all works as intended. I'm quite happy now.

Ape Agitator fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jan 15, 2012