Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobolooter
Dec 25, 2006
Anyone know if its possible to get onunload and onbeforeunload functions in Opera by any means? Some sites I visit use these JS event handlers legitimately and it's annoying that Opera completely disregards them...

I can't think of any way other than using the IE tab which is currently my only option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobolooter
Dec 25, 2006

my stepdads beer posted:

That explains why it looks terrible with Gnome then.

Grab the tango cl theme. It's the first thing I do whenever I install Opera. Universal look and feel across Mac, Windows, and Linux (Gnome). I especially like it under Gnome over FireFox. Faster/better/prettier.

Edit: Opera doesn't use paging for their theme comments so the tango cl page is ~250kb and brings Firefox to a crawl.

hobolooter fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Nov 17, 2008

hobolooter
Dec 25, 2006

DevastatorIIC posted:

You've paid them some pennies?

I bought it back in the day. Does that make me old school?

hobolooter
Dec 25, 2006

Anunnaki posted:

Not trying to poo poo on anyone, but why does everyone care so much about spell checking? :confused:

In my opinion inline spell checking is the greatest thing ever, in fact I've already used it twice in this post. Except Opera's kind of sucks, it didn't know inline was a word. :eng101:

hobolooter
Dec 25, 2006

SecretFire posted:

I still don't understand exactly what it's supposed to do.

Took me a second to figure it out. Basically its a marker to indicate the bottom of a page before you scrolled. So move yourself to the top of a given page and look at whats at the very bottom. Then scroll by flicking the mouse wheel or something. If you see that marker, it should indicate the bottom of where you just were.

In my opinion its completely useless, so I'll probably turn it off.

Edit: beaten... but w/e keeping my post.
Edit2: Actually not beaten, I think Casao has a different idea of what it does.

hobolooter fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 7, 2008

hobolooter
Dec 25, 2006

NashAsh posted:

I've always known about this "feature" but thought I might mention it here:

If you start a mouse gesture on a tab for any window (active or inactive), it'll perform whatever function on that tab. If you want to refresh a background tab, you can hold right-click and move up then down. Or closing a tab you can hold right-click and move down then right. You can also go back/forward with the mouse button rocking gestures too.

It's useless most of the time, but it's kind of useful in selecting/closing a bunch of tabs without activating them.

I think someone mentioned this earlier, and yeah I agree, it's a loving sweet feature.

hobolooter
Dec 25, 2006
I'm still getting many random issues with Facebook, GMail, and SA. All of these sites I tend to frequent on a regular basis. Opera tends to do things to piss me off, but having pages fail to work properly is just really obnoxious. An example is posting to someones wall on facebook, it doesn't show up. So I mashed the enter key thinking it was just slow and it posted like 7 times. GMail often gets stuck between inbox and compose, which is just a hassle to refresh.

Opera is still my preferred and default browser, I just wish they'd fix the little things. I also think all my problems stem from the javascript engine. Maybe they sacrificed stability for speed? Who knows.

hobolooter
Dec 25, 2006

Stanley Pain posted:

The facebook wonkiness was fixed a few releases ago, you should probably upgrade.

Issues appeared the latest stable as well as Opera 10 Alpha (which is what I was mainly ranting about).

hobolooter
Dec 25, 2006

Anunnaki posted:

Why is it that people don't know how to not double post? Hit submit once, and if it doesn't do anything, hit refresh and it will probably be there. This isn't directed at you specifically, since you're obviously having recurring problems here, but generally speaking, browsers hang every once in a while, it happens. That poo poo reminds me of people that double click everything, including things like hyperlinks.

I love this feature too. Opera has made Mouse Gestures a staple for me. If the browser doesn't have mouse gestures, it's crap to me now. :colbert:

It's ajax. It never reloads... Its not like I can't tell the difference between a hang and an asynchronous call. btw, that was pretty much my first double post ever. :-p

hobolooter
Dec 25, 2006

The Rat posted:

It's checked, it just doesn't show any URLs when I hover the mouse over links like it used to back in the bygone previous editions.

Something is wrong then. Make an html page and test it out with nothing else on the page.

something like:
code:
<a href="http://google.com/">Google.com</a>

hobolooter
Dec 25, 2006
Anyone else running 9.64 and having pages not open period?

Our schools courses site just keeps spinning but doesn't actually load. A testable example is: http://www.tartanmaker.com/

It will never load, but works fine in FireFox. These sites worked in 9.63. I just want to check and see if this is a bug or just my machine.

hobolooter
Dec 25, 2006

Syrg posted:

Same here, 9.64 loaded it and ran the little tartan maker smoothly.

Odd works now after a reboot, well thats one less problem I have.

Also how many of you are using the Tango_Cl theme? I honestly can't use Opera on any operating system without it installed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobolooter
Dec 25, 2006
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/dtbcz/hey_reddit_join_the_opera_browser_team_for_an

Opera is currently having a Q&A session on Reddit. If something has been pissing you off, vent now and let the engineers hear it!

They want to compete with the bullshit IE 9 Q&A session so hopefully we'll get some real feedback instead of sugar coated marketing.