Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

Mithaldu posted:

Take it as a sign to learn more comfortable ways. :)

Right-click, pull down, right, let go. Alternatively, middle-click tab.

Alternatively alternatively Ctrl + W.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

On a similar note, speedier Mac snapshot.

quote:

Changelog
  • Increased version number to 10.52

Mac
  • PPC crash logger
  • Drawing fonts using Core Graphics directly

Core
  • Upgraded Presto/2.5.22 to Presto/2.5.24 (small tweaks for site-compatibility)
  • Various site-compatibility tweaks for Carakan

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

sbaldrick posted:

Windows 7 and Opera 10.51

It even hung a little while trying to load this reply, it gets caught on the last element.

The Element X/X+1 thing? I've seen that for a while now. Doesn't it have something to do with HTTP 1.1 Pipelining or whatever?

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

sbaldrick posted:

It is this. I've seen it for years and it's always driven me nuts. I have always thought it's something I do as it can often make Opera unusable.

If I remember correctly, I believe I've seen people say it goes away (perhaps entirely) if you disable the pipelining. On 10.51, it looks like it's at Opera:Config -> Performance -> EnablePipelining.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

Blodskur posted:

New snapshot.

Newer snapshot (for Mac users). Apparently Mac Beta 2 is coming.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

GobyWan posted:

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

I seriously did not think this would happen, ever. It's a direct competitor to a built-in Apple app, that's usually an instant rejection. I think Wozniak has staged a coup or something.

Or could it be Apple trying to get some positive PR?

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

Blodskur posted:

Opera Mini for the iPhone looks like it's doing quite well.

Wow, a full sweep. Good for them.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
So it has to do with this protection code they added in?

membranoid posted:

Edit: Haha how ridiculous, hitting stop just when the flash starts to load actually works.

Wow, that does work.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
10.52 Beta 2 for Mac

quote:

Highlights
Generally improved scrolling with added support for scrolling with momentum
Support for VoiceOver screen-access
Faster domain name lookup on Mac OS 10.6
Support for Mac OS 10.4 and greater on Intel and PPC

quote:

Known Issues
Some standalone widgets may misbehave on PPC
Some ECMAScript stability problems on PPC

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
And following up on that, there's a 10.5 RC for Mac.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

That's an interesting story, even if I can't fully understand the code. I'm glad it's fixed now. I ended up going to the latest Windows snapshot anyways and I thought that fixed it but this must have instead.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
Don't get too settled yet. There's a 10.53 RC1 for Windows and Mac.

Changelog posted:

Version 10.53
Fixed CORE-29447 (Possible vulnerability (SA39590: Writing Uninitialised Memory Vulnerability))
Fixed CORE-28262 (Fixed order of dialog.ini loading to make the one in the custom folder work)
Fixed CARAKAN-1278 (Freeze on Google Maps)

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

ColdPie posted:

Funny, 10.5 still isn't out for Linux.

They seem to be syncing the releases to 10.6 now. Last I remember, they had a beta of the UNIX platform out so they must be done with ripping out dependence on QT or whatever it was they were doing with it.

Sergeant Hobo fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 31, 2010

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

Mithaldu posted:

My main point is: It is a waste of time. The problem of having a browser run as a cohesive whole, yet in separate processes is very, VERY non-trivial. Let me demonstrate just how non-trivial: Even Google Chrome does not spawn a process per tab. It only spawns a maximum of 10 or so processes, each of which handles multiple tabs. Yes, this means that if you go above that you may not have your entire browser crash, but instead random tabs will be taking down by one misbehaving tab. Even Google was not able to figure out a viable way handling inter-process-communication on a level that would enable full separation without raping RAM, CPU and bus bandwidth entirely.

A MUCH more productive use of time is to ensure that any sort of crash is as painless and consequence-free as possible (as is the case with Opera) and more importantly: To reduce the chances of crashing as much as possible by actually hunting down and fixing crash bugs or at least trapping them as much as possible.

Opera actually does that as well, occasionally the flash plugin will break on my laptop because it's an old and beaten piece of hardware. Does Opera crash? No, it just pops up a window telling me what happened and suggests i restart it at earliest convenience.

Honestly, if they wanted to, I'd be fine with them throwing the plug-ins into their own processes or whatever. I don't think we need full-on Chrome-level process-per-tab but I don't think it'd be too out of the way to sandbox the plug-ins a little.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
The Opera 10.6 beta is out. I just installed it and it's pretty awesome so far.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
I just hope they do this right: securely with as little crashing and other shenanigans as possible. This whole thing seems like a gambit to appeal to people who would use Opera but like Firefox's extensions too much to move (I've seen lots of people online say pretty much that). With any luck, it'll payoff with higher market share.

On a side note, I'm hoping hardware acceleration comes into play with 11. Looks like the phones are getting it so here's hoping.

Sergeant Hobo fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 15, 2010

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
I tend to open multiple windows with multiple tabs in each, particularly if I'm doing forum surfing. Perhaps tab grouping would be better overall, I don't know.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
One of these days, I'm going to experiment with using the Windows menu on the F4 sidebar instead of the tabs toolbar, just to see if I can get used to it.

ColdPie posted:

As someone who rarely has more than 10-15 tabs open at a time, and that's only during complicated programming sessions, I've always wondered the use case that leads to 150 tabs open at once. What are you doing where that's a more efficient way to browse than just using bookmarks or Google?

I haven't reached 150 tabs, but the times that I use tabs the most is when I'm browsing forums. Say Window 1 is SA. I open a tab per forum and then from there, open a tab per thread I want to look at. When I'm all done opening the threads up, I close the tab for the forum and repeat. Most of the time, I end up reading the threads I open before I start with another forum. Window 2 could be the same thing but an entirely different site.

I don't know if there is a more efficient way to do this but I tend not to like opening one thread, reading it and then backing up to the root, although the rewind button could make that easier.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
New Opera 11 snapshot. There's lots of changes, particularly to core, but there's also a fair number of known issues:

quote:

Extensions:

DSK-317511 (DEP information displayed during Opera startup on Windows)
DSK-316707 (Opera crashes when sufing pages while Ubiquity extension is installed when Open All Popups is enabled)
DSK-317493 (Opera process isn't closed after running Web Storage quota extension and shutting down browser)
DSK-316682 (Ensure that the extension toolbar is visible)
DSK-315418 (Not possible to move extension button)
DSK-315232 (Extensions pop-up windows are transparent when loading)
DSK-316102 (User JS not loaded when page loads too fast)
CORE-33382 (User JS code not run in extensions if page does not include a script tag)
CORE-33775 (User JS extensions don't run on HTTPS sites)

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
Is there a way to set the middle-click option to open a tab in the current stack (or make a stack, if there isn't one)? I already set the option to have the tab open next to the active tab, which is partly what I want. This would basically make it almost effortless for me to browse forums because I seem to open new tabs for forums and then threads.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

Riso posted:

By the way, if you don't like Opera 11 hiding the full URL, the setting is appropriately called "Hide URL Parameter".

Ah, thanks. I've been interested in this. It hasn't bothered me yet but it's good to know where to go to disable it.

Lakitu7 posted:

More news about stacking:

Yay. :neckbeard:

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!
Opera presents WebGL and Hardware Acceleration

The website posted:

A long time ago, in an office far far away...Opera released a custom build showing an implementation of a 3D canvas context. Now, more than 3 years later, we are releasing the first public build with a standards-based 3D canvas implementation using WebGL for Windows.

. . .

Our hardware acceleration is a bit different from what other browsers are doing. Like IE9 and Firefox 4, we do full hardware acceleration of all draw operations - but unlike those browsers, who only offer this acceleration on Windows Vista and Windows 7, our implementation will run on any OS with sufficient hardware support. This means we can have full hardware acceleration on Windows XP, Linux, Mac OS X and OpenGL ES 2 capable devices such as recent smart-phones and web-enabled TVs.

. . .

This build only has an OpenGL backend. That means your system must have an OpenGL 2.x compatible graphics card and related drivers for hardware acceleration and WebGL to work. In future builds we will also add a Direct3D backend, which will reduce the requirements on drivers and should work out of the box on most modern systems.

Also, according to that post, it seems that this tech won't be a part of 11.10. I guess that means we're trying out potential 11.50 tech.

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

Heresiarch posted:

That's a good thing as far as I'm concerned. v11.1 should be stability fixes for the relatively new v11 line, not new features.

I also expect that Opera is going to be going with matching their version numbers to the year, so v12 will be the major update for early 2012. I think it's more likely that v12 will be where we see WebGL and hardware acceleration put into a regular release.

At this point, I can hope for 11.50 and not 12. I really want the hardware acceleration (for some reason). Though, considering the complexity involved, I'm almost willing myself to bet money that it'll be 12.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sergeant Hobo
Jan 7, 2007

Zhu Li, do the thing!

Bonus posted:

The previous version was quite sluggish for me but 11.5 is really really fast. Holy cripes!!!

This is basically my first impression as well.