Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
If you have single key shortcuts on '8' increases the zoom by 100%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
I prefer the middle-click pan, but ctrl-alt-drag gives you hand-like scrolling, and enabling ScrollIsPan makes it always on.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

The Opera tray icon is only persistent if you have M2 enabled.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

In Preferences -> Advanced -> Toolbars, create a copy of the default menu layout. Open %APPDATA%\Opera\Opera 10 Preview\profile\menu\standard_menu (1).ini, delete the line "Submenu, M_WIDGET_MENU, Browser Widgets Menu". Restart Opera and switch the copied menu configuration and the Widgets menu will be gone. I'm not sure what you'd get out of this unless you use a very narrow browser window though, as it'll just leave more blank space after the Help menu...

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Lakitu7 posted:

I don't know; I run a stupid amount of tabs and just putting the tab-bar on the left side seems like it does everything I want it to do. My only real complaint is that it takes a while to close/open but it's not like I ever close it or reboot anyway.
I used to do that, then I realized the Window panel is both more space efficient and usable once you have enough tabs open.

Lakitu7 posted:

For those using the beta, this visual tab thing is fully optional, right?
Yes.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

If you click on the column title the sorting cycles between sorted by name (desc), sorted by name (asc) and sorted by tab order.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Preferences -> Advanced -> Tabs -> When cycling through tabs etc.. I personally prefer "[In tab order] Without showing list".

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Manky posted:

You're right, it is the default behavior, but on a Mac laptop I'm always command-clicking, which I guess is something else. Guess I just need to use my travel mouse more.
Ctrl-Shift clicking on the PC opens the link in a background tab, and there should be some similar combination on the Mac version.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

That's what the proxy servers are for. Opera connects to the unite server, then waits for requests to come. Remote person connects to the unite server, unite forwards the request to Opera via the already open connection, then sends the response back to the remote person.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

krylex posted:

Anyone having issues on OSX with rapid moving threads and trying to go to the new posts? It seems like it keeps going to one that was clicked a few minutes ago.

It's doing this with the last post and even if I post twice within a few minutes taking me to the earlier post rather than the new one.

Setting Preferences -> Advanced -> History -> Check Documents to "Always" fixed that problem for me, but it'll make typical browsing performance slightly worse.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

El_Ergo posted:

Since upgrading to Opera 10, when I click the button on the forums for "Number of new posts in thread", if I've already clicked that link for a thread in a browsing session, it'll jump me to where that link previously went instead of to the new location. Anyone else have this?

Plorkyeran posted:

Setting Preferences -> Advanced -> History -> Check Documents to "Always" fixed that problem for me, but it'll make typical browsing performance slightly worse.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

You're probably adblocking the domain.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

There's a lot of minor bugs in 10.5, but it's pretty absurdly fast. With 125 pages open it feels as responsive as chrome with a small number of pages open.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Wheany posted:

Seems a lot more unstable to me.
I made it about halfway through the massive pile of issues posted in the comments and decided to stick with the old build.

GobyWan posted:

Also, as someone who uses tabs as 'soft bookmarks' and has anywhere from 50 to 200 of them open at a time in 2-5 different windows, I really, really hope there's an option to turn off Aero Peek for individual tabs.
Running Opera in Vista compatibility mode should do it.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Opera doesn't support h264, so all that'll happen if you do manage to get Youtube to give you the HTML5 version is you'll get a video you can't play.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

ColdPie posted:

I back any standard that is freely re-implementable. h.264 doesn't have that feature. Theora is the best video codec that does, so it's the obviously best choice. You might not care about signing away your rights, but many people do, no matter how many little pictures you spit at them. And once again, there's no reason for Opera to support the more expensive and legally complex option until the market forces them to. In the meantime, they can support the cheaper, simpler option in the hopes that it wins out.
I prefer to back standards that aren't loving terrible.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

I'm very glad that 10.50 starts up quickly, as I've had to restart it every hour or two precisely because of that. It's sort of amusing how horribly it breaks when it hits 10,000 and stops being able to make more GDI objects.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

With 140 tabs open it's leaking 5-10 GDI objects every time I switch tabs.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Lakitu7 posted:

Also it looks like there's no longer any way to change the sizes of individual tab windows independently of that of the browser itself?
The new rendering engine means Opera no longer gets all of Windows's nifty MDI stuff for "free" and they haven't reimplemented it yet. They sounded somewhat noncommittal about actually doing it, so if it's important to you I'd recommend saying so via the bug thingy.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Even getting close to 1000 usually means there's a leak somewhere.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

I wrote some userjs to work around the problem. I really hope they fix it before final though, as having to manually add support for every single site that uses a jump to unread button is sort of awful.

code:
// ==UserScript==
// @include       http://forums.somethingawful.com/*
// ==/UserScript==
window.addEventListener('load', function(e) {
    if (!document.body) return;
    if (window.location.toString().indexOf("forumdisplay.php") > 0) {
        var links = document.getElementsByTagName("a");
        var now = (new Date()).getTime();
        for (var i = 0; i < links.length; i++) {
            if (links[i].href.indexOf("goto=newpost") > 0) {
                links[i].href += "&now=" + now;
            }
       }
    }
}, false);

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

New build with a ton of fixes

quote:

Fixed DSK-261896 (Freezes, and ghost feed items after restart)
Very glad to see that finally fixed.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Beta 2

The changelog is ridiculously huge considering we've been getting daily builds.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

They must have every single developer in the company working on finishing 10.5 in time.

Windows build Mac beta.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

c0burn posted:

I have no idea if it's a bug or a dodgy preference or what.
It's a bug that's been mentioned a bunch of times in this thread. UserJS to work around it has been posted at least twice.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

An explanation of why youtube was broken in Opera on Wednesday.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Mithaldu posted:

Opera has IRC inbuilt. With Bitlbee you can tunnel those messengers to a virtual IRC server running on your machine, which you can connect to with Opera.
Wow, Bitlbee is amazing and I wish I knew about it years ago.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

I guess Opera crashed a lot when I was using an alpha version of flash and occasionally the snapshots aren't very stable, but other than that I basically never see crashes. Even with 350 pages open it doesn't take all that long to start, too.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Copy the link to the download page to the clipboard instead of opening it and jdownloader does the rest.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

I'm currently at 460 tabs open and I think I've finally hit the limit of what Opera can handle as I have to disable javascript before restarting it or on startup it hits 2 GB of ram and crashes :(

I just leave anything I intend to look at again in the future open, using bookmarks only for things I very infrequently use.

gret posted:

So is Opera not going to work any further on 10.70 and putting all of their effors on 11? Or are they still going to release a release build of 10.70?
10.70 = 11. They just changed the version number when they added extensions.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Click here for the full 1296x1169 image.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

I do have to restart Opera about once a day as it runs out of virtual address space and breaks horribly.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Riso posted:

Did they fix the mouse buttons yet?
No.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

It is very likely that your internet connection is compromised and you're getting hit with a mitm attack.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

New build

There's a bunch of fixes but the only one I care about is that they've finally fixed mouse navigation buttons so I can actually update.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Lakitu7 posted:

It's odd because the changelog doesn't actually say anything about fixing the mouse buttons.
They also never mentioned it as a known issue in previous builds.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

It's not a bug; Opera just can't read your mind and know that you wanted to exit the program rather than close that window. After the first time that bit me I got in the habit of always closing Opera with commands that unambiguously mean exit (alt-f4, file -> exit, right click on tray icon -> exit, etc).

If the closed window isn't showing up in the closed tab list before you exit, that is a bug.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Works for me.

The mouse gesture visualizer thing is quite possibly the most annoying new feature they've ever added and I don't see any way to turn it off.

Plorkyeran fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Nov 18, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

Ape Agitator posted:

Edit: Oh my god, gestures are kicking my rear end. I've got my threshold to 5 and the gesture UI turned off and still can't nail GestLeft, GesRight or vice versa with anywhere near the speed or accuracy I could in 10.6. Arrrggghhhh.
Edit2: It seems to only be for left/right stuff, where even the slightest deviation from horizontal translates to up and down. Up/Down gestures seem to be very tolerant and behave with good response. Thresholds don't seem to alter this.
I have the threshold at zero and can only do up + down maybe 10% of the time now, which I never had the slightest bit of trouble with before, and a single pixel of movement is no longer enough to trigger the single movement gestures. I guess if I have to I'll just get more precise with gestures, but it's pretty annoying.