Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Wheany posted:

Except I just opened some links: First bunch opened in background tabs, then one opened in a foreground tab, then the next few opened in a background tab. :confused:
Yeah, I was going to say I had this (though only from my terminal program for some reason) for a while until I restarted everything and then it fixed itself, but actually it's gone back to opening background tabs again. It's weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Wheany posted:

My question is, what the hell do these settings and button even do?

WTF, Opera?

I have no idea about the memory cache but in my experience the disk cache will grow infinitely until you quit the browser at which point it'll clean it up down to the configured size (even when Empty on exit is unticked, presumably that cleans it up entirely), or if the browser crashes it'll do that on startup.

Not sure whether or not that answers your question, depends if you actually had Opera running at the time (and if not, then I really don't know)

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Aha, yeah, this makes perfect sense now. Like why it only happens in the one thing I use that launches links by ctrl-clicking, and why it only happens sometimes.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

As said a few posts above, it's probably "between sessions" and not during the current one.

The memory cache, not the disk cache. As far as I know it's just duplicating part of the disk cache into memory and Opera's total memory usage is more dependent on other things I have no idea about.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

That's just the address the ad links to. The ads are inserted directly into the page served by mail.google.com so you won't be able to block them that way.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Oh yeah, the Network tab's pretty nice, never used that before. Either the thing above or block https://mail.google.com/*&view=ad&* (probably. I can't actually get that to work with the built-in content blocker)

edit: Oh, it gets blocked if I change the exact ad URL. Apparently https content, with query parameters, is cacheable somehow. Pretty sure it shouldn't be.

Polsy fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 22, 2012

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Lakitu7 posted:

If your OS drive is smallish, you may want to symlink or junction (yes, you can do this in Windows) your Opera cache folder to some other drive. I did this because I got tired of running out of disk space on C every time I let turntable go for an hour. :(

You can just change 'Cache Directory4' in opera:config. Really I kind of like the cache getting huge because it caches video files that I might come back to a few days later, though I'd like it more if I could just set the cache size to 4GB and have it stick to that instead of having an apparent max of 999MB.

e: my IE cache directory is up to 4GB even though it's supposedly set to 250MB max. Mostly video files, some of which are 2 years old, so I assume it's lost track of their existence somehow.

Polsy fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jun 1, 2012

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

naptalan posted:

Is there something I'm missing here that could make it work?

Like the commenter does in their example (Zoom in,10), you need to supply a percentage to zoom in by.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Wild EEPROM posted:

Opera moving to webkit

:toot:

Specifically, they say they're making a "gradual transition to the WebKit engine, as well as Chromium", that's what I'm curious about.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

flappin fish posted:

Instead of bookmarks you now have a stash - which, if you actually have a lot of bookmarks, is pretty much unusable.

Well, they say Speed Dial (which now has folders) is meant to replace bookmarks, and stash is a separate thing (which I can't see the point of, because I leave things open in tabs so I remember about them, if I didn't want to leave them open I'd bookmark them).

Kind of interesting how varying people's 'I can't use Opera without this' lists are but I guess that's in line with the swiss army knife comment above.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Is there, or have they said there will be an option to open links in new tabs (specifically, middle-clicking) at the end instead of adjacent to the tab you're opening them from? It's pretty much the only thing that makes Opera Next actually unusable to me and I didn't find an existing option to change it.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Doom Goon posted:

That's pretty much it for tab options, you'll need an extension for that like Classic Tabs which looks fairly updated. I'd wager there might be a Chrome extension or two as well.

Ah, that works, at least for now, thanks.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

AtomD posted:

Looks like Opera 18 stores autofill data even when in private browsing mode. Surely that's not something that should happen? I'd imagine if anyone was actually using it they'd be upset.

Permanently, or just for that private session? It seems to cache more than I remember 12 doing in private windows, but it still all goes away when you close it. Seems problematic if it's permanent though, yes.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Riso posted:

Good news! Opera 20 has moved to the Next branch!

Was this meant to be the version where you could show the full URL, ie everything after and including the '?', or should I still be waiting for that?

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

EvilMoFo posted:

:wtc: ctrl+tab uses the order of the tabs and thus is loving useless.

This at least is changeable in the secret opera://flags settings, at least in Opera Next v20. Maybe earlier?

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Really I'm just here to ask why the hell they have two different browsers that look and do the exact same thing? I mean, if Opera 20 still doesn't have bookmarks and email and uses the exact same interface and options as Opera Next then what's the loving point!?!

Opera/Opera Next/Opera Developer are just at various levels of testing new features. You're going to have fewer features in 'regular' Opera than in Next, though the features there should be more stable.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

What (if any) error do you get if you try to open https://forums.somethingawful.com/css/main.css?1420404660 ?

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Wheany posted:

Internal communication error

e: http works

Weird. Sounds lke the same thing as people are getting over in The Technical Thread though so that's likely to be the first place it gets figured out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Gorbash posted:

Thanks, it sounds like a site problem then. I might venture into QCS.

If you've got 'experimental features' enabled in your user options, then the whole forums site and everything embedded on it is forced to https. Any image site that doesn't support https (like tinypic) won't work.