Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

Binge posted:

Really dumb question, but is Flash support a known issue with 9.6x? I fully switched over to using Opera full time, but watching any full screen video causes Flash to error. It will still play back, but not very smooth.

I'm just not sure if its something wrong with my end, or Opera. Also, I hate how it hides the URL bar when its loading a page.

You can change the progress bar. Go to "Tools > Appearance > Toolbars tab > Progress Bar" and pick one. I like Simple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->
Does anyone have problems doing online applications with Opera? Whenever I do the Unicrew application (for Best Buy, Borders, Circuit City, etc.), when I don't enter anything in the phone number field, it pops up a script error that doesn't stop, and the only way to close it is manually ending Opera's task. I have to do them in other browsers.

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

krylex posted:

If my laptop (macbook) crashes for whatever reason, and sometimes when opera crashes, my bookmarks loving disappear. This is the most irritating thing possible. I don't even keep bookmarks anymore because it's so damned frustrating.

Eventually I'll try to compile up what they used to be before the first time I lost them all and I'll just keep a backup of it. Hopefully this poo poo is fixed in 10.

You could just sync your account.

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->
It seems that having to press back multiple times has crept its way back into Opera. :( I think I'm just gonna wait for the stable version.

This one seems to have taken the liberty of making itself the default internet browser, which I didn't want, and Windows doesn't recognize that there are two different versions of Opera installed, so I had to uninstall both versions and reinstall 9.62 to get everything back.

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->
Not trying to poo poo on anyone, but why does everyone care so much about spell checking? :confused:

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

hobolooter posted:

I'm still getting many random issues with Facebook, GMail, and SA. All of these sites I tend to frequent on a regular basis. Opera tends to do things to piss me off, but having pages fail to work properly is just really obnoxious. An example is posting to someones wall on facebook, it doesn't show up. So I mashed the enter key thinking it was just slow and it posted like 7 times. GMail often gets stuck between inbox and compose, which is just a hassle to refresh.

Why is it that people don't know how to not double post? Hit submit once, and if it doesn't do anything, hit refresh and it will probably be there. This isn't directed at you specifically, since you're obviously having recurring problems here, but generally speaking, browsers hang every once in a while, it happens. That poo poo reminds me of people that double click everything, including things like hyperlinks.

NashAsh posted:

I've always known about this "feature" but thought I might mention it here:

If you start a mouse gesture on a tab for any window (active or inactive), it'll perform whatever function on that tab. If you want to refresh a background tab, you can hold right-click and move up then down. Or closing a tab you can hold right-click and move down then right. You can also go back/forward with the mouse button rocking gestures too.

It's useless most of the time, but it's kind of useful in selecting/closing a bunch of tabs without activating them.
I love this feature too. Opera has made Mouse Gestures a staple for me. If the browser doesn't have mouse gestures, it's crap to me now. :colbert:

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

ColdPie posted:

I think it's kind of interesting how mouse-focused you guys are while I'm completely keyboard-focused. Want to switch tabs? Ctrl-tab. Close a tab? Ctrl-W. Open a new tab? Ctrl-T. Reload current tab? Ctrl-R. Submit a post? Tab, space.

Note that those are all left-handed shortcuts, so you can use the mouse to click links or go back & forward (thanks rocker gestures! the only ones I use) and use these keyboard shortcuts at the same time.

Also just goes to show how awesome Opera is since it supports mouse-focused and keyboard-focused styles perfectly :)

It's really just personal preference. Web applications are generally very visual, so I'll use the mouse. But when I'm at work, using QuickBooks, or Word, I'll use the keyboard for everything and just tab/shift-tab all over the place.

Edit: VVVVVVVVV

Yeah, one of the things that bugs me about Opera is that the Fast Forward feature doesn't always work. A lot of the time that I try to use it, it brings me to the last page, or the next thread (depending on the site).

Cosmopolitan fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Dec 10, 2008

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

Reisen posted:

I've been using the bookmark synch feature, and it's great for adding new bookmarks to multiple computers, but if I delete a bookmark it just comes back the next time it synchs. How can I delete bookmarks?

If you're logged in, and you delete a bookmark, it should sync it to your account. Delete it while you're logged in.

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

sm8000 posted:

I just upgraded my laptop to 9.63, and this weird behavior still happens (seemingly only on my laptop) - when I click on a link to a picture, tabs start opening non-stop. I can stop it if I click madly to close them. The URL in them is:

file://localhost/C:/Program%20Files/Opera/profile/cache4/temporary_download/379761280%20(2).png

(Or whatever the filename of the picture is)

That's strange. Did you try deleting that picture? Or better yet, just clear all your cache.

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

Lakitu7 posted:

You're right; you can't customize it. However, you can kill it and recreate it to a fairly large degree as part of another bar via some hacky custom buttons. Their behavior as "menus" isn't perfect when finished, but it works okay if you rarely use them.

Hell, if there were a Feeds panel, I wouldn't need to use the toolbar at all.

Edit: VVVVVVVVVVVVV
Doesn't look like it lets you add it to the side panel, and there's not much point in getting rid of the toolbar if I'm just going to be moving a dropdown menu from one place to another.

Cosmopolitan fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 7, 2009

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->
For when you highlight some text, and go to "Search With...", is it possible to set this to open up a new tab, instead of using the active tab? I've checked around in the settings, and I didn't see anything.

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

xlevus posted:

A few days ago the power in my apartment had a blip and I lost power to everything. But now I have a rather major problem with Opera.

It locks up for short period of times, and rather often. I've emptied the cache, emptied the URL history, deleted my windows swap file but I get the same thing.

Does anybody have any ideas what might be the cause of this? As far as I can tell its Opera specific and wasn't a problem before the power blip. OS is Vista 64.

Try uninstalling Opera, then go to "C:\User\<username here>\AppData\Roaming\" and delete "Opera" (note that "AppData" is a hidden folder). Then reinstall.

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

down1nit posted:

I've never noticed Opera being anything but fast. It never ceases to amaze me when I get home from "FIREFOX ONLY ITS MORE SECURE" work and load up Opera. The amount of work i could get done using Opera at work vs. Firefox w/ no extensions may be staggering, but at least I'll still have my (crappy) job as long as the workload keeps piling up!

Don't mean to derail, but what job do you have where you do nothing but use an internet browser?

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->
I've been using my Ubuntu partition for the past few days, and I have to say, the Linux version of Opera kind of sucks. It just feels like I'm using it in Wine, or something; it doesn't integrate into the OS's interface at all. The dropdown menus look like the Windows Classic theme or something. I find myself using Firefox most of the time, because its Linux version just looks natural. They should really work on getting Opera a better integrated Linux interface.

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

ColdPie posted:

qtconfig

I think Plastique looks okay if you don't want to bother installing other junk.

Look around for QGtkStyle in whatever your package manager is to make it even more native.
http://labs.trolltech.com/page/Projects/Styles/GtkStyle

Hmm, chaning things in QtConfig doesn't change anything in Opera. Also, couldn't find anything similar to "QGtkStyle".

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

RichardA posted:

^^^^
Set the skin to Qt Native?

Still doesn't change the dropdown menus, plus breaks everything else.

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

sm8000 posted:

Does anyone else get no result when clicking the large Print button in Google Maps? I have to do File->Print on at least two computers (haven't checked my laptop yet).

Opera's probably blocking a pop-up. Right Click -> Edit Site Preferences, change "Block Unwanted Popups" to "Open All Popups".

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->
Anybody else getting problems with subscribing to feeds in Opera 10 Alpha? It seems to have trouble generating the preview page sometimes.

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->
Something about Opera that's bugged me for the longest time is that if you have a lot of bookmarks, the dropdown menu overlaps the actual Bookmark button itself, so quite frequently, I'll accidentally hit "Bookmark Page...", since it's the first button, and have to cancel it. Does anyone know if there's a way to fix this?

Floating Fish posted:

My laptop has a middle mouse button that is used to scroll but this doesn't work in Opera. Is there any way to configure Opera to get this to work?

1. Find out which button your middle click is (usually Mouse 3 on a normal mouse).

2. Go to Tools | Preferences | Advanced | Shortcuts | Edit Mouse, find the function you want it to do, and edit it, or make a new one.

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

Financial Times posted:

After the high-profile launch of Google’s Chrome browser in the third quarter of last year, Opera’s user numbers jumped 20 per cent.

Hahaha, that's pretty ironic.

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

Syrg posted:

Oh. Yeah that might be it. Well, I guess forget I said anything and report it, then. It's stuff like that which keeps me from switching over to the test builds on a full-time basis yet.

I'm using it pretty much full-time at this point, but I agree with you that there are some very annoying bugs, such as the "Share" button on Facebook not working, and things like this:

Click here for the full 1680x1050 image.

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

Sharparoni posted:

I finally upgraded to the 10 alpha today and something is a bit annoying. As far as I can tell, everything about the new version is the same to me, except it's faster (and as I'm typing this post, I can tell the inline spellchecker is awesome), which is all good in the hood. However, I like to keep a search dialog open on my personal bar for Wikipedia, Amazon and Google. Whenever I close Opera (as I do a lot) and reopen it later, the boxes are always gone :(

I've tried looking through the Opera forums and through this thread for a while and I can't find any solutions, or even anyone else having the problem. Help?

Have you tried:
  1. Right-clicking the address bar
  2. Customize
  3. Check Personal Bar?

If that doesn't work, then... learn to love keywords?

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

Aturaten posted:

I just went to it right now. It's not there. All I get is the "Search for studio" message.

I just did the same thing, and it showed up in there as well. Try reinstalling?

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

Wheany posted:

Okay, so they're giving up on the user agent version string issue. When the first weeklies came out, they said that using a version string such as "Opera 9.9 (10, really)" would just lead to "Opera 9.999 (10, really)[no, actually, it's 11]{seriously though, it's 12}"

9.8 sounds like they are synchronizing the minor version with IE's major version. When the world is ready for Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 10.0), it's ready for Opera 13 or whatever.

uhh... what? :pwn:

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

Wheany posted:

Users reported that some sites that sniff user agents break since they don't expect a user agent string to contain more than one number. So "Opera 9" is correctly interpreted as Opera browser, version 9. "Opera 10" is incorrectly interpreted as Opera browser, version 1.

Broken sites then refuse to let you in and tell you that you need to upgrade your outdated Opera 1 browser to at least Opera 6 or something. People suggested that as a workaround Opera change their user agent to something like "Opera 9.9 (Opera 10)" and initially the developers refused.

Now the changelog says that Opera 10's user agent is "Opera/9.80 (X11; Linux i686; U; en) Presto/2.2.15 Version/10.00"

Oh, I see. Yeah, that's been happening to me too, but I usually just edit the site preferences to identify as Firefox.

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

ufarn posted:

Oh, and the new Opera will be out tomorrow: Pic. Also confirmed on Opera's Twitter feed reading "Tomorrow".

Hmm, so they just decided to ditch tabs altogether and go with thumbnails instead? It's bold of them to move away from most (all) of the competition's look with normal tabs; we'll have to see how it works tomorrow.

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

Sergeant Hobo posted:

Now that I'm using the visual tabs (which are growing on me a little), it seems I'm forced to use the extender menu, the behavior of which I detest. I guess I'm too used to Firefox's extender where I can scroll the tabs if I move the mouse wheel by hovering over the tab bar.

I will also try out winchanger later. Sounds perfect.

Firefox scrunches the tabs together just like Opera for me, and I don't see anything about extender menus in the options. It would be awesome if you could just scroll instead of going through a menu, how do you enable that?

Also, I would use the visual tabs if they could be seen on the left, instead of just the top.

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

er0k posted:

that moves the whole address field for me, doesn't add a bookmark to the toolbar

Grab the favicon, hold shift, move to any location. I'm still using them.

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

ufarn posted:

EDIT: Where the heck do you disable it? There's no icon no a Turbo option under Quick Preferences.

:ughh:

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

Casao posted:

Goto youtube.com

Edit site preferences

Or you can go to Advanced | Cookies, search YouTube and delete the entry. Then it should ask you again.

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

Holy poo poo, they put the internet on a USB stick?! :aaaaa:

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

Adrnshw6 posted:

Is Opera Unite down? I just downloaded the new Opera and set Unite up but there I get an error that says: Web Server Error: The proxy server appears to be down

It advises me to restart Unite, which I do, but it still shows a connection problem.

It's doing that to me as well. Opera Link doesn't seem to be working for me in this build either. It downloaded 2 of every bookmark, and doesn't download the custom searches at all. Wish I hadn't completely uninstalled the previous build beforehand. :(

Also, one thing that nobody else has mentioned yet is the UI changes. I like the new buttons/text fields. I'd like the bolded tabs for unviewed pages, if it didn't mark every tab as unviewed when you relaunch Opera.

As far as Opera United goes: it seems cool, but there's nothing here I, as a tech savvy user, can't get with Dropbox, or Flickr, or whatever. Maybe I'll find a use for it later and change my mind.

Edit: Also, Wand is no more. It is now called Autofill. :wtc:

Cosmopolitan fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Jun 17, 2009

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

Sergeant Hobo posted:

So I recently found out about a little feature (in just the Opera 10 betas, I believe) that I will share.

I don't know if anyone has been paying attention to their bookmark menus, but you might have noticed some entries have letters in parentheses behind them (e.g. Wikipedia(Q) ). This was kind of irritating to me since I did not know exactly what they meant or even how they were assigned (very randomly from first glance). After some searching, it turns out that the letters were accelerators. Basically, whatever letter is behind the entry in whatever menu you are currently in, pushing that letter on the keyboard will activate that.

Furthermore, it seems that the accelerator assignments are automatic in that if a letter is already in use by the other items (the underlined letters), Opera will use another letter entirely and add the letter to the end of it.
I'm using 10.1589, and I don't see the parenthisied letters you are talking about. Although pressing buttons does bring me to sites in my bookmarks, so v:shobon:v

er0k posted:

preferences > advanced > shortcuts > middle click options > open in background tab

I'm pretty sure that is the default setting...

Or you can just assign Ctrl + T, or GestureDown to "Open link in background."

Cosmopolitan fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 23, 2009

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

Sergeant Hobo posted:

The parentheses will show up only if all the other letters are taken, or something like that.

When you right-click somewhere on a page that's not a link, you should see an option to go to Full Screen. If I'm right, you should see Full-Screen(G). Typing G while that menu is showing should turn it to full-screen mode.

Nope. Honestly, though, that sounds kind of annoying, so I'm glad I don't have it (for whatever reason).

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->
It appears that Opera's long-time problem of looking like poo poo in Linux is gone in Opera 10. I can actually use it in Linux now! :woop:

Edit: And it appears Adobe finally pulled their head out of their rear end and released a 64-bit flash plugin. :)

Cosmopolitan fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jul 2, 2009

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->
New snapshot build, run Auto Update. New error/about page is prettier. :)

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->
Does anyone know if it's possible to make the "Download Finished" notification pop up, even for downloads that complete instantaneously? I never know if the download's done, or just taking a bit to finish, and I always have to open the Download Manager to find out.

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

Haha, how do I use this?

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->
New snapshot build 4493 up.

Although it doesn't look like they've put up the Linux qt4 package yet. :(

Edit: Why is qt3 still their default package?

Edit 2: Linux version up, I am impatient. :)

Cosmopolitan fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Jul 16, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cosmopolitan
Apr 20, 2007

Rard sele this wai -->

INTJ Mastermind posted:

So this update installed Opera in Program Files/Opera instead of Program Files/Opera Preview. It doesn't carry over my bookmarks and settings like the other updates did.

What do I need to copy/paste over from the Opera Preview folder to get my settings back?

Edit:

Specifically, I'd like to move over my mailbox and mail settings, speed dial, bookmarks, keyboard and mouse shortucts, and toolbar setups.

Should be able to copy C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\Opera Preview\Opera to the regular Opera folder. Recommend backing up the folder before overwriting, just in case.