Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.
Hey guys, I haven't checked this thread in a while and I just decided to try out the pre-alpha. I was wondering if everyone still uses Fanboy's Adblock List and the Optimised Element Filter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.
Does anyone know of a better element hider than the fanboy one? One more like adthwart or adblock.

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.
Is anyone elses Opera Beta really unstable? Mine crashes way too often to be my every day browser. I wonder if it's because I've been updating after each of the builds, maybe I should wipe it and reinstall the beta.

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.

Sergeant Hobo posted:

It seems this build crashes on start-up every time for me. Super.

This seems like a dick move but thanks for being the guinea pig. I'm going to avoid this snapshot. I'm having enough crashing issues as it is.

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.

Sergeant Hobo posted:

It looks like this new snapshot build includes a Windows 7 crash fix, which apparently is what I was experiencing. It also fixes the video HTML 5 element.I'm up and going again. Plus, they changed something so I don't have to hit my Start key to access my Start menu anymore. :neckbeard:

Awesome, I'm going to give it a shot. These random crashes are really one of the only things keeping me from using the Beta as my go to browser. Thanks.

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.
If get an adblock list from http://pgl.yoyo.org/adservers/. Is it better to download the list in Opera's format and then replace Fanboy's adblock list with it or should I download it as a HOST replacement?

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.
Am I the only one not having any issues in 10.51?

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.
Is anyone having an issue with Facebook chat in 10.53? Every time I get a new message in chat it scrolls the chat all the way to the top. It's super annoying.

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.
I really wish they would fix Facebook chat......

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.

Mithaldu posted:

I was recently forced to use it and it worked fine?

Every message that gets sent causes the chat window to scroll all the way to the top. It's unbelievably annoying.

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.
Can anyone do me a favor and check if the new Opera builds fix the stupid Facebook chat, please?

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.
So I use a variety of different adblocking solutions with Opera. I use Fanboy's List, a HOST file, and also I've tried using the adsweep userJS, however, when I browse the forums I have a giant whitespace between the links at the top (like User Control Panel and Private Message) and the actual forum stuff. Does anyone know a way where I can get rid of that annoying whitespace?

Thanks

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.

EvilMoFo posted:

buy no ads

Does the no ads purchase get rid of all of the extra white space, or does it just remove the image?

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.

ufarn posted:

Two questions:

1) Where are my Opera bookmarks stored?

2) I have two Opera bookmark folders: one from the alpha/beta, and one from the final, stable version. How do I merge the two to keep both bookmarks?

I'm sad to say that I'm probably finally leaving Opera, because it keeps loving up my saved bookmarks, which is the most important browser feature for me. I just did a reinstall after a failed drive, and while I still retain access to my old bookmarks, I shudder at the thought of what would have happened if I didn't have a physical back-up of my bookmarks.

I used to love Opera, but their forums have never been of any help, and I don't feel the bookmark sync love. :smith:

Why don't you set up an account with Opera Sync? It will sync your bookmarks, kinda like Xmarks. That's what I do to keep everything in line on multiple machines.

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.

ufarn posted:

It was set up. Hence my dissatisfaction.

That's weird, is it just not backing up your bookmarks? I've never had any issues with Link, it's always worked flawlessly.

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.
Opera 11 is out!

http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2010/10/21/an-important-piece-of-the-puzzle

(Alpha, of course)

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.
I haven't downloaded this yet, so for anyone trying it out, can you comment on stability?

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.

Mithaldu posted:

First: Find a theme that adds as little crap around the tab buttons themselves as possible. I used a minimalist theme and reduced them to mere black lines with no margins, so the favicons fit right between them.

This maximizes the amount of recognizable favicons you can have in your tabs.

Second: Set the browsing options to "cycle without showing list" and then set this to 1 :
opera:config#UserPrefs|AlternativePageCycleMode

This allows you to right-click and scroll left/right through your tabs by scrolling up/down with your mouse. This is ridiculously fast.

Can you post a screenshot of your setup? I'm always looking for space efficient setups for my netbook.

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.
Has anyone had any issues with Vevo (ugh) videos on YouTube? I know it's something with the urifilter but I'm not exactly sure which entry it is.

On a semi-related note, how about when using Live Nation. I can't buy tickets using Opera because the site doesn't load in Opera.

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.
And 11.5 just dropped: http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2011/06/28/swordfish-came-out-on-the-water

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.
Here's kind of a random question that I'm sure someone here knows the answer to. One of the things that annoys about Opera is that, if I'm typing something into the address bar and then i alt-tab to look at something and alt-tab back into Opera, it highlights the whole address bar instead of placing the cursor where it was, at the end of the text. Is there an option somewhere to prevent this? I'm getting sick of deleting my search queries. :(

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.

Tyrion posted:

You could hit the "end" button, or am I missing something?

Yea, you can just hit the arrow key and it goes to the end but I would rather change the default behavior. I'm lazy, okay...

I'll throw in a question about Opera Mail as well, is there a way to remap the delete key to archive? I never really delete emails from my Gmail account and instead just archive them all. I know that you can drag the email to the all mail folder but for some reason that folder is not showing up in my mail.

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.

Raften posted:

Did anyone else start having problems with gmail and Opera today? Whenever I try opening any of my emails, the only thing displayed in the body portion of the email is an adsense ad.

Yea, I just started having this issue today as well. Weird....

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.

Lovie Unsmith posted:

Apparently the Gmail bug had something to do with Opera's Adblock extension. Heard this on another forum.

Interesting.

Anyway, I'm not longer having the problem.

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.
Tunny is released! http://my.opera.com/chooseopera/blog/2011/12/06/a-shiny-new-opera-11-60

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.
Does anyone know how to change the icons of websites on the speed dial? Not every site I have has an extension for it and I hate at looking at the crappy website, I would much prefer to have a nice looking icon for it.

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.

Lovie Unsmith posted:

Not bad!

Did you get that using the extension, it doesn't really work for me.

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.

Lovie Unsmith posted:

Yep, I installed it then refreshed my thumbnails.

For me all it really got was YouTube. It didn't get Twitter, ESPN, SA, sites that I figure it shouldn't have an issue with.

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.
Does anyone have issues with video skipping a lot with Opera. I'm running 11.61 and when I watch videos every so often the video will stutter. The audio is fine, just the video. Anyone else have this issue?

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.

Lakitu7 posted:

I tend to see stutter right at the beginning, when the video is loading, and one of those pop-up banner ads is about to load. Once it's past those beginning jitters, it's always fine though.

I'll get random stuttering throughout the video. I'm currently testing the latest 12 build on my laptop and it seems to be gone, we'll have to see. 12 seems pretty good right now. I've had a couple of random crashes for no apparent reason but other than that it's been treating me well.

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.
Do any of you guys use the mail client with Gmail or your school mail? My school uses Gmail and I would like to try out Opera's mail client but I don't really want to deal with it, if it sucks. How does it handle labeling and archiving? When you delete an email, does it actually delete it, or archive it? (I want it to archive, I don't delete).

EDIT: Oh, and 11.62 is out: http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2012/03/27/opera-11-62-released

Startacus fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Mar 28, 2012

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.
Is there a way to do button macros in the mail client? For example, I want to add a button that will take a message, mark it as read and then move it to the All Mail folder. I'm basically trying to make an archive button.

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.
So I'm running Opera 12 x64 on both my desktop and laptop. My desktop is running Windows 7 and I am having little to know issues with it. It's bombed out a couple of times when closing the browser, but whatever. My laptop, however, is running the Windows 8 release preview and they do not play nice at all. When I was on Opera 11.64 everything was working perfectly. I've installed 12.00 (clean install too boot) and all has gone to hell. The browser locks up a lot and even goes as far as to lock the entire machine. Is anyone having better luck with the Win 8 Preview?

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.

flappin fish posted:

Yes. I've been using it with just about all of the Desktop Team builds - first the Consumer Preview, then with the Release Preview when that came out - and the only thing that's been crashy has been OPP.

Okay, I guess I'll try my luck with a reinstall of it.

EDIT: Tried a reinstall and I'm still having the same issue. I feel like it has something to do with flash since it happens most often when I'm listening to something on Soundcloud.

Startacus fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Jun 18, 2012

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.
So Opera 12 seems to lock my entire system when doing flash things, but not all the time?? It's kind of weird since it doesn't happen every time. Makes me think that there is a memory leak somewhere but it locks the entire system and I need to reboot.

I'm running Windows 8 Release Preview with Opera 12 x64. Anyone else having issues?

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.
My crashes are definitely not just related to flash. I just had a crash completely lock up the system when the browser booted up and opened the speed dial. This is incredibly annoying.

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.

FSMC posted:

Opera should just give up on the browser stuff and just make an extension for chrome. I don't use opera for any of it's web-rendering, etc, I just use it for all the tweaks, and interface stuff. So imagine a chrome browser but with the opera skins and controls, or thinking about it a different way an opera browser with chrome doing the back-end stuff.

So Opera based on WebKit?

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.

Wheany posted:

Does anyone else have Opera Mobile on Android always first open the same page when opening?

In my case it's http://i.imgur.com/bwJad.gif

I can't tell you how many times I've seen that cat jump out of the module.

YES! I had to uninstall Opera on my phone because it was sooo annoying. No matter what you do it would re-open that page and you would have to exit the browser, reopen the tab and then it would open the correct page. So frustrating.

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.
Has anyone been having any stability issues, especially on Facebook? Opera crashes all the time when I view Facebook albums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Startacus
May 25, 2007
I am Startacus.
I've had to switch over to Firefox for a bit. The latest version of Opera on my machine is crashing constantly. Naturally, Flash appears to be the issue...