Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Oh for gently caress's sake. There is one loving nagging little annoyances that I can't actually do anything about this version that is pissing me the hell off. :argh: Namely, this loving thing:

That button. I don't mind the use, but it is big and red and garish as all loving hell on my nice and mostly-monochrome subdued skin. Is there any way to just turn the usual goddamn windows menu on? The main bar has open/save/print etc, but not any of the other options like preferences and such, even if I can toss a bookmark link onto it. Failing that, is there a simple file I somewhere I can just edit the color of (or copy-pasting from a similar skin, etc.)? It's like a goddamn pimple.

Asimo fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Mar 23, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Mithaldu posted:

:what:
All skins for Opera can be edited, they're simple zip files. Check your install directory or profile directory.
And there we go. Even if it took longer than I expected, considering I was using the windows native skin; had to find the right settings in a more complex skin as well as editing the image. But, success still. :pseudo:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Okay! So. As of today, youtube no longer works. Instead of displaying videos it just yells at you to update... despite the fact Flash is up to date, and plays fine in every other browser. :wtc: The Opera forums are absolutely no help, either.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Unparagoned posted:

Delete your youtube cookies. I had the same problem.
Did. Nuked all cookies, just in case. No dice. :psyduck: I mean, it's obviously an issue with youtube, but being restricted to one browser means there has to be something to do...

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I don't have flashblocker.js :negative:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Worked like a charm. :woop: Go go lovely youtube coding.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Wheany posted:

God dammit, why do they keep loving around with the context menus? At least they made "Image properties" the last menu item again, but now they made "Search" the first menu item when text is selected.
This is incredibly annoying, since every other context menu ever has copy has Copy et al. as the top selections, and my muscle memory fails me constantly. You don't have to do everything different Opera, you know? :ughh:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Ignore me!

Asimo fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Oct 21, 2010

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

So has anyone figured out how to make pinned tabs full sized, and not just the goddamn icon? :geno:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

gibbed posted:

Unfortunately the only way to do it right now is to revert to an older Opera version.
Why the gently caress would they do this? They're useless as they are now, tiny little loving things. :ughh: Fine, I'll just unpin it all. I've used you for a decade Opera, you're not helping me like you here.

vvvvv Yeah, didn't realize just how dumb it was until seeing for myself.

Asimo fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Dec 18, 2010

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Oh, finally. It was constantly annoying me to have to pause video playback, set it to wide-format and 720/1080p, and restart. The plugin can do all that automatically. :woop:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Syrg Sapphire posted:

- How in the hell do I turn thumbnailing large images off when I open them in a new tab? I know it's only one click to undo it but that poo poo's annoying, and I can't find what they labeled the setting in opera:config.
Yes. Please. This is loving obnoxious (they should know better by now than to show non-optional UI changes) and drat if I can find out how to revert it. :argh:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Gasoline posted:

Someone figured out how to disable it here.

This works, but leaves small images stuck to the top of the window. A better fix is in the same thread that gives the old functionality. Using user javascript (make an "imagefix.js", paste this into it, and drop it in Opera's user javascript folder):

code:
if(document.querySelector("head>link[rel='stylesheet'][href='opera:style/image.css']")) window.donotrun=true;

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

er0k posted:

is there anything like Chrome's task manager for Opera?
To the best of my knowledge no, since Chrome's designed in a different way from most browsers and treats individual tabs and such as separate processes. I'm sure someone wiser than me will correct this if I'm wrong though.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

The recent Opera releases have had some horrible problems with certain sorts of javascript, at least as far as I can tell. It's pretty easy to check; if you disable it, a site that lags or doesn't load instantly snaps up. Unfortunately the upcoming gmail version lags like hell, and obviously turning javascript off isn't an... elegant solution for it meanwhile.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, really. The reason Opera's actually "worked" all these years is because it wasn't heavily monetized and forced to dance around to corporate and advertising bullshit. I mean, there's a chance they'd be left to their own devices, but it's so minuscule and every other possible result is a net negative...

Well, no point in worrying on rumors anyway.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

hackbunny posted:

Firefox I can accept, but Internet Explorer? They enable that for Internet Explorer and not Opera?
They're probably assuming it's the mobile browser and that using the image search will break it somehow or something, as a completely spurious and baseless guess. There's a handful of sites that will redirect you to their mobile layout if your browser's identified as Opera, for example.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

quote:

- no UI customization possible (move buttons, use full skins)
Isn't this like 90% of the reason anyone still uses Opera over Chrome or Firefox? :raise:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Wheany posted:

Basically I think it can be summarised like this: If Opera is similar to other browsers, why use Opera?

RoadCrewWorker posted:

This is PR lingo for "don't hold your loving breath" isn't it?
Pretty much.

Ah well. Is there any way to make firefox open a new tab with ctrl+n instead of ctrl+t, because this is 2013 for gently caress's sake and I'm going to open tabs about a thousand times more often than I am windows? :sigh:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Hexaemeron posted:

There's nothing of Opera left except gestures. With the .ini files and opera:config gone, I can't even make an attempt at fixing the bad design decisions here.

I only use extensions to block things or fix specific web pages. I don't want to manage extensions for basic browser options.

gently caress this bullshit. I'd rather pay for a real Opera browser than use this.
While this is a bit of an overstatement, I honestly can't disagree. I literally see no reason not to just use Chrome or Firefox instead, since everything that made Opera unique is gone and those browsers are far better supported and established. I didn't abuse as much of it as some people here, but even little things like being able to heavily customize the hotkeys and layout were critical to me. :sigh: I guess most of their effort's on the mobile browser and the desktop is just a vestigial limb?

Doom Goon posted:

I always thought Speed Dial was very "smart phone" and never adopted it

Kevin Bacon posted:

I like speed-dial. I stick my 6 most frequently used sites on there, because that is the furthest number I can reach while holding ctrl with my pinky. It's just so handy to hit ctrl+1-6 whenever I want to check something.
I kind of liked it, but the speed dial was very much a "nice thing in addition to bookmarks", not an outright replacement for it. Do people really use that few bookmarks? I admit my list is cruftier than most, but...

Heresiarch posted:

http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/opera-features-and-release-cycle

Apparently they're going to be following the usual browser development cycle of dev/beta(aka next)/release in the future. But more importantly:
Well, that's good at least. I'm disappointed still, but there's no point in making a final decision until we see the release candidate.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I just... don't see any reason to stick with Opera any more. The complexity was always its selling point, but most of it was buried so I don't even see complaints about it turning off newbies. I never really touched most of Opera's features, but things like being able to change the skin and layout, having persistent windows between sessions (though addons can provide that for other browsers), or even simple things like tab stacking or ctrl-clicking to save images or being able to change the loving key commands (seriously, why do most browsers still insist on ctrl+n opening a new window when 99.5% of the time you want a new tab instead?) were why I stayed with it since... whatever the gently caress release came out in the late 90's. Opera invented a lot of the features like tabs that most browser users take for granted, and the fact they're throwing it all away to be a... clunky off-brand Chrome? It's insane.

Since it's pretty clear there's no going back, I guess it's time to move off to Firefox finally. All they needed to do was improve stability (by moving to Chromium or whatever) but right now there's literally no reason to stick with it when you have Firefox and Chrome as options. If it were just a matter of a few seldom-used features being cut it'd probably be okay, but instead it's being pared down to the bone even to the point of removing things people consider basic browser functionality like bookmarks. I wonder how much userbase they'll still have once the diehards give up.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

tonberrytoby posted:

Addons:
Adblock Plus
Add to Search Bar
All-in-One Gestures
Context Search
Customizable Shortcuts
Download Statusbar
Extended Statusbar
Flashblock
FVD speed dial
Open Bookmarks in New Tab

also, Rikaisama, Lastpass and SALR, but I already had them on Opera.

Plorkyeran posted:

More stuff I'm using to make FF more Opera-like:
keyconfig
Paste and Go Hotkey
Space Next
Stylish
Tab Mix Plus
Vertical Tabs
Oh, nice. Between these two lists and poking around to add a few other things (mostly some addons I used in Opera like Ghostery) this let me finally just migrate over to Firefox yesterday. I've been kind of hesitating about it, but enough critical sites had started to break or run poorly (Gmail, etc) that it just became inevitable that I'd have to swap over. If anything the browser runs a whole lot better without all the various bugs and javascript-related slowdowns, and I've adjusted to Firefox's tab groups pretty quickly.

It's still a bit sad though, I used Opera since... gently caress, 1998 or something? But the new version just cut too much, and 12 had gotten too out of date. I don't think I'll ever go back now that I have a suitably adulterated Firefox too, even if Opera gets itself back in shape... why bother when I can keep using something with actual market share instead? :smith: I can't even imagine how many users they've hemorrhaged over the past few months who are similarly totally lost customers.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

EvilMoFo posted:

Do people actually use this thing?
Not anymore! :v:

:smith:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Just pretend Opera the browser is dead (since it is) and just go to a heavy addon copy of Firefox or Chrome instead. :smith: It's only an hour of annoyance in set up, then you can just have a working browser that's almost what you're used to without worrying about sites constantly breaking as it gets creakingly out of date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Mithaldu posted:

Dear Goons,

Please stop overexaggerating when it's not for actual comedic effect. You're not helping anyone with this bullshit.

Cheers,
A Grumpy German
Chromera is merely the beard for a company that only lives for the mobile market, but wishes to pretend to still do anything for the desktop.
Oh come on now. When there's seriously advice being given in this thread along the lines of "well sure Opera 12's still good, as long as you have a second browser for twitter. And facebook. And tumblr. And..." it's a pretty drat good sign that the browser's broken for the current web environment, and it's not going to get any better. It's a web browser, not a marriage. The sooner you swap to something that just works all the time with no hassle the less work you'll have to do later.

I'm not any happier about it, but that's just how it stands right now.