Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I'm using Opera 10 (latest built) and everything's fine except for the viddler video pages. Apparently the site not only crashes (and defaults to white screen) with a fuckton of javascript errors during the loading process, but when i use the "back" command after going to whitescreen it renders correctly (including the video player) but sometimes will hardlock the complete browser and crash to desktop. Is that a known bug?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Since for me the biggest downfall of Opera is its apparent diarrhea when it comes to distributing its config/settings files all over my OS, i finally switched over to Opera@USB and im loving it so far (since i have to switch pcs/dual boot different OS often). Has anybody here tried it before and found a huge flaw? If not just see this as a recommendation.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Normalmapped 3D rendering of websites using DX10 Shaders, calling it now.

Using a webcam to enable NATAL-style controls for web navigation!

No? How about seemlessly integrated animated graph style presentation of hyperlinks between pages?

Aw who am i kidding its probably just gonna be a built in twitter client. :(

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Its either the greatest WinZip of all times or some kind of (hopefullly well implemented) integrated offline browsing. Heres me hoping.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Sure its nothing new, but for the majority of users who are tech unsavy its amazingly easy to set up and use. From a technical viewpoints its boring, but this is so easy to use and theres a lot of potential for further services that im optimistic about this.

Nobody took their "reinvent the web" catchphrase seriously and im pretty drat sure they knew that.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Hey look, my opera10 preview cant open http://thevideobay.org/sample-video.php 's HTML5 correctly even though Opera.9.52 or higher is said to have it working. Awesome!

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jun 29, 2009

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

ufarn posted:

I'm looking forward to see if Mozilla's user challenge to find a replacement for tabs yields anything interesting (their logo redesign sure as hell didn't).

I'm the kind of person who uses at least twenty tabs at at time, and there just aren't any browsers who address this near-satisfactorily.
Usually when operas tabs go above 50, i switch to the "Windows" panel which has handy 'quick find' filtering to quickly switch and drag tabs between Opera windows - it even has multiselect with shift or ctrl. Im still looking for a better "Sort" option, though i guess the name sorting is okay in most cases.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

NashAsh posted:

I've always wanted to be able to drag tabs between windows and now I find out it's been built-in all this time. :(
Uhm, why didnt you just, you know, try to actually "drag and drop" them between windows (on the tab bar that is) like you can do in a single window to manually reorder them? Granted, its one at a time, but its still more intuitive. Also grabbing a tab and pulling it outside of the window (or on areas that cant 'process' tab drops) automatically opens the tab in a new window. It doesnt even reload/refresh the page, so movieplayers just keep on playing.

God drat opera, why is your weakest point your piss poor declaration/advertising of gui-features. :argh:

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jul 6, 2009

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Oh hey, it broke viddler for me.

again.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

GuyGizmo posted:

My friend has. He said it took minimal effort to set up, and I could access all of the files and media on his computer in a nice little interface. It was neat.
It worked for me and a couple of friends the day it was announced, but ever since then the proxy servers and dns calls hardly resolve so almost everybody i know has problems when accessing unite servers.

There are already a few new plugins up though.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Considering theres already a audio and video streaming plugin out there, i cant see anything good in the future if they really proxy all the traffic (which their simple diagram seems to suggest). Otherwise itd easier to just give every account a ton of webspace and serve from that.

And yeah, some people are indeed behind firewalls administrated by someone else.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Opera has a auto-fill forms option on the same settings tab as wand, but i never thought they were the same.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Welp, that just tought me that middle clicking the tabs closes them instead of fiddling for the x.

Glad they never mentioned that. But eh, thats the Opera experience i guess!

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Casao posted:

Carakan benchmark.]

Holy balls, Batman, that's fast.
http://v8.googlecode.com/svn/data/benchmarks/v5/run.html goes from 95 to 1400 on my crappy 3 year old laptop. Woa.

Gotta say i love the slimlined layout too.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
:crossarms:

quote:

Presto 2.5 has support for both Web Storage and Web SQL databases. In Web Storage, you have the option to store the data temporarily (session storage) or for a longer time using local storage, which will store data until you explicitly clear it. Web SQL gives you the ability to create databases on the user's machine (using SQLite as a backend) so that you can store data in a more structured manner and even query it using SQL.

http://people.opera.com/shwetankd/external/demos/websql_demo.htm
:hawaaaafap: (clientside javascript)

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Is the full screen view (f11) broken for anybody else? Looks like parts of the control aren't being redrawn. Might come from Dual-Screens + 1920x1200 resolution.

Should i file some sort of bug report for that? Or do they already know/not care about stuff in pre-alpha?

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

BinaryChef posted:

Speed Dial is great, just wish I could edit the amount of boxes manually and not deal with presets.
According to the thread title, Yeah, Opera can indeed do that.

You can edit some .ini values to manually change the numbers, that's how people did it before they rolled out the "configure speed dial" settings.

Basically just open the file selected in opera:config#UserPrefs|SpeedDialFile (in address bar) and set the last 2 lines ([Size] Rows=5 Columns=5) to whatever you want. Most of the other stuff is also pretty self descriptive.
Here's the instructions for 9.5: http://cybernetnews.com/helpful-tip-add-more-speed-dials-in-opera-95/
The .ini is the same on my 10.10 build as well as the 10.50 labs pre-alpha. The changes still seem to work, but of course with high values the resizing can't keep up.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Just out of pure curiosity, does anyone else have the problem of all spoiler tags in the forum breaking (as in, displaying the text white on black instead of black on black) when you activate "fit to width"? Has been around for years as far as i can remember.

Also this one is funny: http://my.opera.com/Z1-AV69/blog/z1-glass-for-opera-10-5-build-3206

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
For everyone using gestures and opera 10.50 alpha who hasnt figured it out yet:
Open opera:config , search for "gesture" and set the Treshhold to 0. Save, should be the regular old behavior now.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jan 30, 2010

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Blodskur posted:

All I need now is the right click "copy address" crashing bug fixed and this'll be golden.
God yes. And the whacky flash 'support' thats just horribly messed up (at least for me) at the moment.

Who knows, maybe theyll even fix the rendering problems when switching presentation modes (from/to High Contrast W/B for example) after a tab has loaded.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

quote:

Fixed DSK-276636 (The skin-entry "clearbackground=1" doesn't work for important sections of the skin under all tabbar positions.)
Fixed DSK-275538 (crash when moving a bookmark)
Fixed CORE-27094 (Fix gestures triggerring unreliably)
Fixed DSK-266018 (Middle-click panning doesn't work)

along with a ton of other fixes.

Hell
yes!

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

thrawn86 posted:

new paging out of speed dial gives a blank page for me instead of speed dial.

I can't get speed dial transparency working either :(
Same. If you make a new tab from a open site it creates a Blank Page one, if you create a new tab from a Blank Page one it creates a regular Speed Dial tab.

The Glass skin probably isnt updated to work with any non-right tabbar placement yet.

Does adding new apps from http://unite.opera.com/applications/ work for anybody?

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Answered once, 4 posts above you in Lakitu7's quote. Its a known bug.

They're working on it, there's a reason they advice not to use the alpha as a main browser. Come back when its a RC.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

thrawn86 posted:

supposedly the newest version is fully working (all tabbar placements) with the newest alpha and the screenshot shows as much :(
Works for me. Except if you're talking about a maximized window, but that's because windows doesn't render fully hidden programs (anything behind an opaque maximized window) i guess.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
The new view menu is nice, but the text renders white on white for me.

Honestly my biggest grief right now is that the mouse gesture for "new tab" opens a clear tab instead of speed dial, and doesnt even focus the address bar for a quick "g <x>" search.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Tikki posted:

I really hope they move the tab bar up on the Mac version, like it is on the Windows version (Or Chrome) before final... I'd hate to have to stay on 10.10.

Yes, I'm one of those weird people, who makes the browser UI take up as little space as possible.
Either they reformed or disabled their whole modular GUI system for the Mac (because they sure didnt for 10.50) or you're one of those weird super-passive people who never right click->Customize->Appearance (or any of the other ways to go open the Appearance settings like the main menu) when they want to change the, you know, Appearance of the browser.

For the record here's a 1:1 screenshot of my Opera 10.50 layout:

You can easily move the address bar into the tab bar to save another line, but that troubles the handy auto-complete popup.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Feb 7, 2010

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Tikki posted:

Either I fail at explaining or you fail at comprehending. So here's a 'shop of what I mean: As it is now. (...) How it should be.
Ah, now i see what you mean. "Moving the tab bar up" seemed a bit generic to me. My bad. In non-maximized state the tabs are pushed down 10 pixels by default so you can still 'grab' the window and drag it even when you have one or more filled row of tabs. I think since the free space on the tab bar is draggable too, it should just 'slide down' when the top row of tabs fills up.
One of the notes for the last (windows) snapshot is:
* Added a pref for the height of the draggable area when integrating the tabs in the chrome
* Use a more flexible layout of the pagebar when integrating in the chrome, allowing pagebar tail and floating to go under the close/maximize/minimize buttons when there is space
So they're obviously still exploring the whole issue.
Maybe if there's no 'maximized' state on mac that notifies the application Opera can't tell if it has to keep the space unused for dragging the window. :(

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Lakitu7 posted:

I'm using this build on my laptop and I actually haven't been able to reproduce the GDI handles thing so far. It's been a couple hours of constant use and the most it's used is in the 300s.
Ditto, ive used it for hours and it would still have much less than 10.10 has with same number of tabs. I noticed that the startup count (92 for me) increases after opening and closing a ton of tabs, but only by 10. So while it seems there's a leak i couldn't get up to 9999.

Meanwhile 10.10 is roughly 890.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Was able to get the gdi count up to 700 by opening 150 tabs and letting them load in the background, at least a dozen of them with flash videos playing, THEN enabling thumbnails in the tabbar and pulling it down.

It's still churning at 1.4 GB of ram usage in the background and 40% constant cpu use on a quadcore, but the GDI count hasn't beaten 10.10 at 4 tabs with 920 yet.

Yeah, i doubt it's the tabs alone.

And no, i don't use tabs as "soft bookmarks".

Edit: Dragging the tabs around randomly ramps the GDI count up by the hundreds though. Guess its something with the sliding animation. And "Close all" ramped the count up from 1600 (140 tabs) to 1900 (with no tabs).

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 8, 2010

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Oh, thats good news.

Slightly off topic:
In 10.50 you can create a new bookmark and set the adress to something silly like
code:
javascript: 
var od=document;
for( var i = 0; od.images[i]; i++ ) od.images[i].src="http://fi.somethingawful.com/customtitles/title-roadcrewworker.png";
document=od;
(or just copy paste the code into the adress bar) and it actually applies the changes to the current open tab when you click the bookmark or hit enter (works the same way in IE8) and rerenders the page. Unfortunately this doesn't seem to work in 10.10. I guess i must have missed a way this can be achieved using custom buttons while going through the examples. Userjs is not really what i want, does someone know if there's an easy solution?

Can't wait for the alpha to get more stable.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Feb 8, 2010

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Blodskur posted:

Windows Beta snapshot. The new tab gesture not showing speed dial has been fixed.
Hell yes! Almost ready to switch for good. Now i only need to have the Glass Skin fixed.

Middle clicking on a bookmark folder still doesn't open all the bookmarks in it, but i hardly used that.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Feb 10, 2010

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Kameleon posted:

What's wrong with it? Apart from making all the other browsers very jealous...
Both in normal and maximized state 1.19,1.23,1.32,1.33 disables the min/max and close buttons in the top right corner. 1.11 works oddly enough.

Some other things:
-The gesture system still seems a bit wonky. Occasionally the window will just close when i try to do the "new tab" gesture, the "close tab" gesture is only recognized 50% of the time, "reload" requires a much more precise and bigger up-down movement than before. I already played around with the treshhold value, but alt tabbing from 10.10 to 10.50 and using the same gestures its persistence is starting to irk me.

-For some reason occasionally the small previews while hovering over a tab always show up on my second screen, even when the browser is on the primary screen.

-Flash rendering is still broken with multiple windows if you create a tab in one, then drag the tab to create a new window after starting the player:

Click here for the full 1723x1054 image.

Also redragging the tabs back into the original window fails to update the draw area:

Click here for the full 1424x1044 image.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Feb 10, 2010

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Flash rendering is still broken with multiple windows if you create a tab in one, then drag the tab to create a new window after starting the player:

Click here for the full 1723x1054 image.

Also redragging the tabs back into the original window fails to update the draw area:

Click here for the full 1424x1044 image.

This issue persists with (and only with) the latest beta release. Can anyone confirm this or is it a broken flash install (newest version) on my machine?

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

Kameleon posted:

It's not been mentioned on this page yet so here's a quick plug for the Z1-Glass skin which brings full transparency to Vista and 7 systems running 10.5. Utterly fantastic.

Does the transparency work on maximized windows in Win7? Only works for unmaximized windows in Vista...

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
.F3*
works as always for me.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

thrawn86 posted:

Come to think of it, the opera process ALWAYS takes 30-60 seconds to quit.
This doesn't sound right - from >6 hours of usage with ~15 tabs and 470 MB of ram the 10.10 process closes in ~5-8 seconds after disposing the window. If it's just disposing objects the time should be directly proportional to memory use. 30 to 60 seconds of shutdown time regardless of state happens on none of my machines with none of my opera installs.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

thrawn86 posted:

yeah I don't know, my computer/opera runs 24/7 and its always been sluggish to quit and especially to open, on every install/machine I've had since XP.
Yeah, as others have mentioned its likely an xp vs vista issue, all my pcs here run 7 or vista.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
That's curious, after the last snapshot launching the 10.50 executable instead opens a tab in 10.10 if it happens to be running. Guess someone typod the Process name to check during startup, eh?

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
I love the new opera:cache which actually doesnt freeze for 2 minutes when theres a few thoussand elements. Really useful to grab audio/video from pages who don't offer an obvious download link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Aw gently caress, the RC overwrote my 10.10 install, and they still haven't fixed the flash rendering with tab dragging among other issues.