Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Am I the only person that cannot seem to get userscripts to run in 10.60?

64bit Debian here. Same result on two different machines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

I don't tend to keep up with the finer details of the Opera roadmap as I should, but does anyone know if they've announced interest in running multi process like IE/Chrome does now? I believe Firefox is going that route very soon (perhaps 4.0?)

Opera's a great browser, but they tend to make sweeping changes and the alphas are quite unstable. Having it not take down my entire session when it crashes would be a godsend... :smith:

feld fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 13, 2010

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

I'd estimate I get a minimum of 10 crashes a day right now running the prerelease. I've had issues where when it restores my session it keeps crashing. It's been sort of frustrating in that regard. Yes, I know I should expect instability when running a prerelease but when it crashes just from clicking a link.... come on guys! :doh:

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Tikki posted:

New snapshot

Holy crap do they ever sleep? I was thinking "man I'd like another snapshot" and then out of nowhere they delivered. :woop:

They either work at an amazing pace or are incredibly awesome at releasing builds. Not even chrome releases this many builds in a week.

Mithaldu posted:

How about some details as to where these crashes are produced? Sounds like you're just dealing with one specific site that should be bug-reported.

Nope. It's very random. News sites, links off reddit and fark, etc. I can't find the pattern. :iiam:

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Crap. Came home to find that the latest snapshot doesn't have working webm on my desktop. Wonder what the difference is... both running Squeeze, but the working one is Intel graphics while at home I have Nvidia. I doubt it's a driver... gotta be something codec/video framework related....

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

feld posted:

Crap. Came home to find that the latest snapshot doesn't have working webm on my desktop.

Fixed with the just released beta

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Sporadic posted:

Is there some way to remove the word menu from the red O?

right click it -> Customize -> Appearance.

Now choose "Images only" for Style.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

awesome bug i found -- tell opera to search for text in the page... try searching for something that's bold. it won't find it. :psyduck:

edit: specifically bold stuff is not found on wiki pages in my experience so far, but it seems the search function is broken for these forums altogether.

WTF OPERA?

:iiam:

feld fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 7, 2010

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Mithaldu posted:

Must be something on your end.

New build released today doesn't have anything related to it in the changelog, but it now works. I have one coworker that also had the issue. But now I'm wondering if it is something obscure or related to our similar setups.... perhaps i'm on drugs...

:sweep:

move along....

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

I'm actually a little surprised we haven't seen a build since last weekend when there are so many outstanding bugs in 10.60 that should have been fixed before release...

I can crash my browser almost every time with:

O Menu -> Mail -> Compose

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Their site is running terrible for me. Also, the "google calendar compatibility" is bs.

http://i.imgur.com/1E7ae.png

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

I feel left out now that I've come back to Opera as my main browser and we don't haven SALR implementation. Anyone know if it's in the works since we have storage backends and whatnot available now?

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

This middle click regression crap is making me rage. I just want my middle click paste to work like it used to.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Bonus posted:

i wish you could just drag pictures from opera into windows explorer to save them like in any other normal browser

That sounds like a terribly useless feature. Why can't you right click save-as?

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

kapalama posted:

By that logic, why have a graphical interface at all?

Dragging is easy one step. Right-click, then navigate to a folder is a pain in the rear end.

(Drag works on Mac, but it breaks sometimes. Usually restarting Opera fixes it.)

how is that faster? You're navigating to a folder, opening to a diff window, and resizing both the browser and that window so you can drag? Or not resizing, but dragging down to the bar, hovering over the stupid app, and then waiting for it to pop up so you can release the click in that window?

unless you have 2 monitors this is a pain in the rear end. and it wouldn't be useful if you need to save many pictures.

sounds to me like you have a bad case of Dragon'Drop.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Wheany posted:

The current extension API doesn't look that exciting. It really does not expose anything that could not have been done with User JS. I guess installing extensions is a bit easier than installing use JS, but that's pretty much it.

Well hopefully they'll release the updates to the API shortly so we can get some kickass extensions.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Meiji Mangaka posted:

but there's just no access whatsoever and from the looks of it that trend is likely to continue.

Where did you get that idea from? They said they'd be adding more stuff to the API soon and this is just the first incarnation of extensions.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Meiji Mangaka posted:

They're trying to keep/make it a "web standard" of some sort which to me means they're going to try to put as little Opera-centric stuff in there as possible. Which is convenient for them in two ways, 1) it allows them to say "we support web standards even for extensions", and 2) they need do as little work as possible opening up the UI and creating APIs for extensions. I mean it'd be nice if they did all that and then said "But the opera object is browser specific and we'll add all our own stuff in there" but I feel that it's unlikely.

I think what they mean is that you'll access the internals via standard web technologies... much like how WebOS only gives you access to html/javascript junk but you can still access the guts via the APIs they put in.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Lakitu7 posted:

Nothing replicates adblock exactly. If you get the beta with extensions support, there are some extensions that approximate it.

You realize that the ad blocking in Opera is done in Opera's network code, so it doesn't even attempt to contact the blocked sites at all. Firefox doesn't do this, but I cannot comment on Chrome.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

new snapshot available -- build 1104

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

The new tab stacking in this beta is interesting... needs some tweaking though (tabs opened from tabs within the group should stay in that group.)

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Mithaldu posted:

And why the gently caress are my filters all in "Labels" now?

Every filter is a label now. It's kind of like Gmail's labels. I sort of like it, honestly. Seems cleaner and easier.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Lately M2 and my work's mail server (which I admin) are not playing nice. I get a lot of "The connection with the IMAP server was unexpectedly interrupted." errors with no real explanation of why this is happening. All of my other accounts are to GMail, whereas this is to Dovecot.

I can delete the account and it will resync again; it only happens after the account is fully synced. We are an ISP and host a good bit of email and nobody else is having issues. I've done packet dumps to confirm traffic is normal and the server logs show I'm authing fine. I have no explanation of why this is happening, but when I use M2 while I'm at work it's fine as well (same Opera version, too).

If someone can speak up that they're seeing this as well I'll be quite relieved; I'm not in the mood to dig into my home firewall (OpenWRT) or start bugging the cable company about it because it's definitely not my desktop (FreeBSD).

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Holy crap Opera can you PLEASE fix the IMAP bugs you introduced over a month ago?

Sincerely,

The Internet

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Opera Mobile 12 android release seems pretty nice. Faster than previous releases and hasn't been crashy like the last build I was running...

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Wheany posted:

Opera 12 is never going to be released. It was announced May 3rd 2011.

The stable version then was 11.1. After that, versions 11.5 and 11.6 have had "non-next" beta periods and been released.

It's probably the biggest architectural change they've ever made in the browser. Even the newer presto in it is badass.

I know it's a long time coming but I trust Opera to get it right.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Cuntpunch posted:

My larger concern is that they're spending so much time getting only rarely-implemented stuff like WebGL in place that they're going to continue falling further and further behind in Javascript performance, which is where most browsers are visible different from each other right now.

In your day-to-day browsing where have you been finding that lower javascript performance has been impacting the experience negatively?

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Anyone here do opera extensions?

I'm trying to make a quick one that just injects css. Namely this, which works fine when I apply it as a style to http://www.nhl.com:

code:
div.score {
display: none !important;
}
I just want to hide the scores at the top.

Well, when I try to create an extension using the template from here it doesn't seem to work. :arghfist:

edit: you can find it here: http://feld.me/pub/opera/

feld fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Mar 31, 2012

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

I really wanted it to be an extension because I use opera on so many different PCs and it'd be nice if I could simply have my own extension on my own server that I could easily install on all of these machines and it would run whatever rules I want. If I decided I wanted something else I could deploy an update and all the other machines would pick it up.

It's a shame opera doesn't have something like "opera sync" for userjs.

edit: by the way neither of those userjs script seem to be working for me.... on 11.62

feld fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Mar 31, 2012

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Wheany posted:

I put my user javascript under a dropbox folder

I suppose I could do it in git... I don't trust dropbox and they don't support FreeBSD anyway :colbert:

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

NFX posted:

It's also possible to do the same thing with a custom stylesheet for the site... F12 -> Edit site preferences -> Content.. That will save you several lines of userJS comments!

that's the way I'm currently doing it but it's not portable. I can't really sync that easily between all my opera installs. If I had my own extension I only have to install it once and it will update when I push updates.

Wheany, how the heck were you doing that with jQuery calls? jQuery isnt built into opera. I'm guessing you've got something going on locally in your userjs that makes jQuery available to any other script. Neat idea, but will scale simply horribly and probably will conflict with sites using jQuery. Yuck.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

I think it's fair to call Opera 12's last release a beta. It's feature complete (or should be :arghfist:).

Either way, this is going to be a legendary release -- positive or negative, it will be an interesting ride :suspense:

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Marlboro Lover posted:

Firefox had an option where you could completely disable ipv6 lookups. Why didn't Opera have that?

Because it's not an Opera bug, it's a glibc bug that Ulrich Drepper refused to fix. There are other glaring DNS bugs that he says are normal behavior but any other sane libc (Any BSD, OSX, Solaris, etc) handle properly.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

AbstractNapper posted:

The devs were aware of crashes and freeze issues reported in the blog comments for almost each and every one of the RC builds and still chose to release this.

You expect them to cancel their vacation packages and flights so you can have a better browser?

As if! :allears:

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Reith posted:

Man am I ever glad I finally decided to jump ship back to Firefox before Opera 12 went final.

It's really a shame; Opera has a lot of potential, but there are just too many hiccups and other little quirks that never seem to get fixed properly.

no other browser could integrate my email so cleanly. i'll live with the quirks.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

kapalama posted:

Opera (Mac) now tourinely stops accepting track pad input. After an Opera restart everything is fine.

Do you have a habit of highlighting things when you browse? If so, you're hitting the same bug that I am.

I think when you highlight stuff it makes opera get into some "html5 drag'n'drop" mode and occasionally prevents you from being able to click anything anymore until you close multiple tabs to make it all go away.

Annoying as hell, for sure.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

I paid money for opera once

I feel cheated

:smith:

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Opera's first webkit patch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

mod request thread name change

The Opera Thread! Yeah... Opera can't do that anymore

AbstractNapper posted:

They had released a few snapshot builds back in early version 11 days, where tabs were stacking automatically. It was not based on domain, but rather on whether the new tabs where created by using the "open in foreground/background tab" from an existing tab. They had to remove it a short while later, I'm not sure why (probably it was more complex to implement than it appeared), but people were asking for it to return since (as an option).

I thought automatic tab stacking still existed as an opera:config option?