Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meroin
Apr 23, 2008
On the subject of switching to Opera 10 Alpha, is there a way to upgrade to it or make this an easier process for me? I can only figure out how to install it side by side, and it doesn't apply all the UI mods (well, just rearranging) and keybinds I've set for Opera 9. I'd really like to be able to use Facebook without all of my Opera windows stuttering when something in that window changes.

Sorry if this was mentioned before. I assume it has been, but the previous few posts lead me to believe that upgrading directly was possible, which I thought it wasn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meroin
Apr 23, 2008
Most of the free download sites like rapidshare and such do this as well.

Meroin
Apr 23, 2008
With every new browser release, it becomes more and more frustrating to avoid using tabs. When I click the "O" icon from my quicklaunch, if I already have Opera open, it will just create a new tab. How do I get it to open in a new window? Better yet, is there a "disable tabbed browsing" box that I can untick (I seem to remember one in Firefox).

e: This is with the new Opera 10 beta 1.
e2: Checked and doublechecked. "Open Windows Instead of Tabs" is the thing.

Meroin fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 3, 2009

Meroin
Apr 23, 2008
I could in Opera 9, but now that I'm on beta 10, I can't Right-Click>Speak anymore and when I try to, it tells me to download the Speech patch and pops up a download window (not the Transfers window), and immediately says "Download Failed" and sends me to this page: http://www.opera.com/browser/tutorials/voice/

Is there a manual download of this, with instructions?

Meroin
Apr 23, 2008
Finally switched over to using tabs instead of windows in Opera and I like it alright. Mostly I switched because I discovered Right Click + Scroll and also installed Windows 7. Is there a way for the tabs to show up grouped like Explorer windows or IE tabs do in Aero preview on the taskbar when mousing over the Opera icon? I figured it's probably something for which we'll have to wait for the official release of Windows 7. (My main reason for not using tabs before was that I like to Alt+Tab through everything that's open. I can do this now with IE).

Meroin
Apr 23, 2008

kapalama posted:

Things I did not know. Thanks.
I figured someone would learn of this from my mentioning it. It seems that every time someone posts about a clever Opera shortcut/hotkey, the knowledge spreads. Perhaps we should make a small list of the best and put it in the OP.

Meroin
Apr 23, 2008
Loving the new Opera 11 Beta but I have two issues:

I still can't be totally independent of IE, mainly because my Live Mail can't be accessed in Opera. When I go to https://live.mail.com and login, I get a white screen with just one line of text, saying:

quote:

LiveId authentication code has returned error 0x8004920a, indicating that there is a problem with your server configuration. Please check the Application Event Log for detailed information and correct the problem.

It works in IE, however. Not sure what to do there.

My second problem is with extensions that add buttons to my toolbar. Even with the extension enabled, I can see the button listed in the "Default" buttons list, but the ones added by extensions can't be clicked, dragged, or even diabled by right clicking. Other, Opera native buttons can be moved normally. There are lots of slick extensions with buttons, but I can't use any of them right now!

Meroin
Apr 23, 2008
Why can't I rearrange tabs by dragging without putting them into a group with the adjacent tab? This has been a problem since my first 11.5 alphas. The rearranging ][ cursor that shows up between tabs has always been lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meroin
Apr 23, 2008

MisterLizard posted:

Rearranging cursor? Not sure what that is, my cursor stays the same throughout. When dragging a tab the underlying tab will change colour when the dragged tab moves into the hot spot for creating a tab group. Just don't release the mouse button when that's the case? Keep dragging it until the tabs do their switchy thing and then release. The hot spot isn't that big. Until 11.5 it was hard enough to hit accidentally that I didn't realise tab groups existed.

When I drag a tab around, it doesn't follow my mouse cursor. It stays where it is, and while I'm dragging it, other tabs that I mouse over will turn gray or there will be a cursor-like image like the one shown here at the green arrow:

I took the "can't drag tabs" google search tab and dragged it to where the red arrow stops (beetween the first and second tabs). There's no graphical rearranging going on, and the cursor appears between the "windows panel" google search and the Opera Extensions website. When I release the mouse, the tab actually gets grouped with the Opera Extensions one. There's no way for me to move tabs without grouping them with another tab.

What I've figured out so far is that the problem doesn't exist when I have tab wrapping disabled (ie when all the tabs are squished on the same line). Currently I have it so that Appearance > Toolbars > Wrapping is set to "Wrap to Multiple Lines." It looks like maybe it's a known problem with no solution.