Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Hey guys, super long time fan of Opera here, but I have fifty tabs open, and I'm looking to do something about that. I found exactly what I'm looking for, but unfortunately, it's on Firefox. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/5890/ A Tab Tree, essentially tabs for your tabs, only on the left. I'm not actually sure the extension does everything I want, since I'm trying not to use FireFox, but this might be worth switching for. I'm looking for a way to group my tabs into things like Coding, social, whatever. That way when I've got my hundreds of tabs open, I can just open my Coding tab and get right to work, and not even be distracted by my hundreds of other tabs. On the left would be perfect. Just a tiny bar I can click to open up my supertabs, or possibly on a hotkey. Just another icon under the existing F4 menu would probably cut it. Is there anything even remotely close to this for Opera? Or do I have to try out FireFox....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Blodskur posted:

I haven't personally used it, but I recall reading Opvard's blog about this, so give that a try?

Oh man, that window thing is EXACTLY what I want... except it's entirely separate windows. If I wanted separate windows I would have just created a new window. Why can't they have tab grouping, like they already have, only WITHOUT creating new windows? Or can you already do that, and I just missed it?

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

I believe the Windows method allows you to group tabs already open into windows. To help you out.

But... you can do that anyway. You can just drag the tabs into separate windows. And Windows groups your Windows, Opera doesn't need to group your windows a second time.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Wheany posted:

Hey, guess what?

Apparently Opera can do that (in the latest beta)

:)
This is why I love Opera
I was trying the FF4 beta bexause of their new tab grouping feature, but I was having such a miserable time. I haven't tried the beta yet, but I have great hopes.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

I just lost all my tabs because I had two Opera windows open and closed them both, and it only saved the tabs from one. Is there any way to get them back?

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Personally, all of the comments in this thread convinced me to never try an Opera beta. I'd rather be excited about all the new features actually working when it comes out than be disappointed because I just found something new but can't use it yet.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Ape Agitator posted:

I'm feeling comfortable enough with them to believe that the code is back to being pretty identical to what it was in 10. No more need for second gestures to be longer than first gestures and it seems to not mistake imperfect up/down for left/right and vice versa any more. If it isn't 10s code, it's really close to it.

It's not a bad stance to take although I would generally say that almost all Opera betas are perfectly operable for me. I'm rarely using anything but the current Opera beta and that's not true of any other software but Opera. Their tab stacking is one of the least mature things they've beta'd to my recollection.

They're probably trying to push it as quickly as possible because of FF4's new tab management system. And it's a good thing, if Opera doesn't get something, I'm liable to switch when FF4 comes out. I need better tab management badly.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Mithaldu posted:

I use right-click-scroll to scroll through my tabs. You'd have to be ridiculously fast to keep it from appearing there.

The sad thing here is: Opera can be as fast as it wants to, everyone will think FF had it first anyhow.

The group who releases it first "has" it first. And FF has had what is essentially tab stacking for a while through extensions.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Riso posted:

Contrary to popular belief, extensions are something most people don't care about, nevermind know.

I don't know a single person who runs firefox without at least one extension. I know the tab tree extension is the reason I tried it out, recently. I don't know what your point is, either, but I'm not entirely sure I understood your meaning.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

How is that any different from the vast majority of Opera optionts that most people never look at? I'm guessing only a small number of people ever go to opera:config.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Buml0r posted:

Well then you're talking to the right guy. I didn't get my SNES until 1996-ish, and loved it like it was the latest exciting technology.

Um, Opera!

'98 here. I actually sat down and tried to choose between the SNES, 64, and PSX. I went with the SNES new for 70$ over a 64 for something like 100 or 120$ new. The 64 later turned out to be my favorite system ever, but I don't regret choosing the SNES.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Tab stacking is... not the most useful thing. I'm stacking my tabs but rarely collapsing them. I'll probably have one tab stack I collapse for "poo poo I need to read later" or something. I hate to say it, but there's a decent chance I'll be switching to FF4 when it gets released. If I don't like FF4's tab management system, I can probably find an extension that will make me like it. Tab stacking just isn't enough.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

People still use paging files? Weird.

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

So... what's everyone's opinion on the new Opera mobile? Opera Mobile was my favorite browser by FAR for years. It's the only one that would display sites properly, and it is WAY faster than Chrome or Firefox, and since my phone is kinda old(Droid 4), that's still a big deal to me. But this new Opera was slower, worse at rendering websites... I can't even understand why they rolled it out. I'm back to using Opera Classic or whatever they've called it now, but wtf? Did this work out better for anyone else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero The Hero
Jan 7, 2009

Rooster Brooster posted:

I setup an Opera'fied Firefox as an experiment recently, and it took a good bit more work and fiddling with extensions than I was expecting. Little things like CTRL-Z to undo closing a tab were no-gos, but I did get things 99% of the way there.

I'm interested, what kind of extensions did you have to use?
I remember it took me a while to find a plugin that let me use rocker motions for forward and back(holding right click while left clicking, and vice-versa). It also had an option to add +1 to the url on forward, letting you skip through pages on a forum or something like that. I didn't notice, because at the time I thought ALL browsers had some feature like that, because Opera did. Turned out to be yet another way in which Opera was literally years ahead of the curve.

I didn't notice it until my friend pointed it out to me, after I recommended the extension for its other gestures. He freaked and said something along the lines of, "This changes EVERYTHING."
Then I suggested my friend try out Opera. "Why? Firefox does everything I want it to."

On a side note, I just tried out Opera 15. When I'm not maximized, there's over an inch of space taken up by the address bar to the top border. WHY?!
Actually, I have a number of issues with Opera 15. Have they done away with tab stacking? Why can't I press F4 to get to my list of windows / tabs anymore? Why can't I press Ctrl+# to load a page from my Speed Dial?
I'm just going to assume this isn't supposed to be a fully functional version.

Zero The Hero fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 22, 2013