Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I've been meaning to leave some feedback on Opera's forums, but as my account name is my full name, I don't want it to be displayed as my user name. Is there any way to change my displayed name?

Oh, and the new Opera will be out tomorrow: Pic. Also confirmed on Opera's Twitter feed reading "Tomorrow".

ufarn fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 2, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Sergeant Hobo posted:

Now that I'm using the visual tabs (which are growing on me a little), it seems I'm forced to use the extender menu, the behavior of which I detest. I guess I'm too used to Firefox's extender where I can scroll the tabs if I move the mouse wheel by hovering over the tab bar.

I will also try out winchanger later. Sounds perfect.
Tab management so far is terrible in Opera - extender and multiple rows flat out suck. Or management customization if you want to scrutinize. I'm being blunt, obviously, but to someone who regularly runs a plethora of tabs, I feel overlooked, seeing that Opera seems to think that users only tend to use a handful at a time. Hence my suggestions for Opera which I unfortunately can't write since my user name on their forums is my own full name, as I only use it for Opera Link/Sync.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jun 3, 2009

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Sergeant Hobo posted:

I've been getting a number of crashes for random things I do (everything from subscribing to a RSS feed to closing a tab). I've been submitting crash reports; thank God for the session saving.

So how often has the 10 beta crashed for you all?
Only once. Though I've had some instances of temporary hanging.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Can anyone track down an "Open in Chrome" bookmarklet/button for me? My Google-fu is weak.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Kameleon posted:

http://my.opera.com/Tamil/blog/open-in-firefox-internet-explorer

Second result for '"open in chrome" opera'.
Yes, but I am lazy and want drag and drop. :colbert: :P

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Just came to whine that Opera choked, losing my entire session of tabs along with it.

Guess it's a beta and all. :smith:

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Opera 10.0 beta is being incredible wonky. The newest snafu is reducing the quality of pictures, as if they'd been through 50 Paint conversions. It also hangs in terms of bandwidth on occasion.

Anyone with the same issues?

Another strange thing; I'm pretty sure it didn't save some of my bookmarks, but that's speculation I can't prove - unfortunately.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Stanley Pain posted:

Why are you using turbo mode?
Ah. I set it to automatic, and I guess it must have kicked in when the inexplicable slow-down kicked in.

I'll turn it off for good, then.

EDIT: Where the heck do you disable it? There's no icon no a Turbo option under Quick Preferences (probably because it isn't on by auto currently.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jun 9, 2009

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Stanley Pain posted:

Click on the icon so that it turns black? Reload any pages you have open.

Right click icon for prefs.
What icon? :)

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Anunnaki posted:

:ughh:

ufarn posted:

Ah. I set it to automatic, and I guess it must have kicked in when the inexplicable slow-down kicked in.

I'll turn it off for good, then.

EDIT: Where the heck do you disable it? There's no icon no a Turbo option under Quick Preferences (probably because it isn't on by auto currently.
:ughh:

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The Opera guys are feeling quite cocky.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
From the source:

quote:

We start our little story with the invention of the modern day computer. Over the years, the computers grew in numbers, and the next natural step in the evolution was ...

Cloud computing?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Colour me unamazed. Weird that they hyped it so much - albeit without any big campaigning, though, but they were pretty bold about it.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Is there a reason for why Opera 10.0 beta doesn't (auto)update to the version with Unite? Are they making two separate versions to make using Unite optional?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Might check out Unite - after they've upped the security (seriously, URL-extensions for passwords?) and allow me to pick my own profile name, so it doesn't get associated with my user name.

Speaking of which; my mate's Firefox tab crashes when accessing my file-sharing link. Can I get some reports on the success rate of connecting your friends to your links?

ufarn fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jun 16, 2009

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I think the crux of this discussion is that the hype thing they were trying to get going was only going to be seen by the tech savvy goons, whereas the service it was teasing in no way is meant for the target audience of the teaser page.

If you think this is a new direction Opera is taking, no offence intended, wake up! Have you ever been to My Opera? It's a horrible sight to be hold, to be sure, but it's there, and has been for a while. I only noticed it because I use Opera Link.

Opera's claim to fame is its incorporation of a lot of features in one product, and the aforementioned projects are some of their ways of improving on that platform. It's not like it's taking a new direction and abandoning the tech savvy fans.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Got this message in a browsing session when connecting to certain sites:

"A page on the public Internet requests data from your private intranet. For security reasons, automatic access is blocked."

Bad, right?

Done some malware scans, and nothing so far, although the search is still going on in Malwarebytes and Eset Smart Security. I'll probably shut off the internet most of the time, but that's not a viable solution to a problem that potentially is persistent.

Any idea about the cause?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Casao posted:

Has anyone discovered a way to disable the new tabs thing? It's cute, but I don't like it. I keep middle clicking to close tabs and missing by a bit and suddenly my tab bar takes up 1/4 of my screen. Like to disable it, if anyone knows how.

Edit: Just figured it out, in case anyone wants to know: opera:config#UserPrefs|UseThumbnailsInsideTabs
I'm looking forward to see if Mozilla's user challenge to find a replacement for tabs yields anything interesting (their logo redesign sure as hell didn't).

I'm the kind of person who uses at least twenty tabs at at time, and there just aren't any browsers who address this near-satisfactorily.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Usually when operas tabs go above 50, i switch to the "Windows" panel which has handy 'quick find' filtering to quickly switch and drag tabs between Opera windows - it even has multiselect with shift or ctrl. Im still looking for a better "Sort" option, though i guess the name sorting is okay in most cases.
Being able to categorize my tabs, be it by colour, space separation or anything else would probably end most of my woes. I wish I could post the suggestion on Opera's forums, but as my user name is my full name, I'm not likely to do it, but if anyone else wants to.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I was just installing some Greasemonkey script, and when I started Opera again, all my tabs were gone(!). Now Opera won't load my session, but starts with a blank page.

Anyone experiencing the same thing (running the latest Snapshots)?

EDIT: Weird; now it's loading some previous tabs, but only SOME of them. Odd. EDIT: And now it won't. Sporadic, I guess.

EDIT2: And I've only JUST found the hidden Restore Previous Session (autosaved) - too late for me to restore the session, since it's already been succeeded (or any of my previous crashes). I think Opera confuses "features" with "easter eggs".

ufarn fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jul 6, 2009

ufarn
May 30, 2009
http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/.

Also, check out these skins; http://my.opera.com/community/customize/skins/info/?id=8888 in particular looks great. I'm considering replacing the default theme with it. Only downside to it is that the favicons in the tabs (and text if you have that enabled, I guess) aren't as big as with the default theme. It's not a problem to people who regularly have twenty-or-more tabs open, of course.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Syrg posted:

Fixed those for you. (Nice skins, though, agreed.)
Thanks. I'm way past my bedtime.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
It's not an affirmative answer, but I haven't had any positive experiencing with the one-or-two urlfilters posted in the OP.

You should manage by blocking wildcards such as "*adbanner*", "*adfarm*", "ads.*", "ad.*", "m1.*" with a few additions. They are usually the lovely banners you shouldn't feel sorry for depriving site owners off. Usually I prefer to keep the banners if they don't annoy me to death, as a way of paying your respects to the - bandwidth of the - site owner.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Has anyone tried customizing their Opera Speed Dial? It's a bit of an eyesore if left by its default look.

Opera issued a contest for whatever reasons with some nice entries. Resources here, here and here.

I haven't wrapped my head around everything, but if anyone start making a customized Speed Dial page, feel free to share your thumbnail icons with the rest of us, and we might be able to create a nice collection of thumbnails. Speaking of which, does anyone know where I can find a high-res SA logo?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

thrawn86 posted:

how do I install fanboy's adblock list on opera 10? there is simply no \opera\opera\profile folder like there has been on every other install.

its for a friend on win7 x64
%appdata%\Opera\Opera 10 Preview\profile.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Is it me or is Opera - still - downright horrible for printing pages?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

TwystNeko posted:

Okay, I've just switched from Firefox to Opera, mostly because of the goddamn irritating memory leak / flash lag FF has. I'm about 90% pleased with Opera. Except I need some proper adblocking. I've tried a 3rd party urlfilter.ini, and adsweep, and they're just.. not Adblock Plus. :( Is there a better solution, other than running a proxy locally?
Are you looking for a better filter, or?

Remember that you can right-click on a page and choose "block content".

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Is there a way to protect some of your bookmarks from showing as shortcuts up in your address bar when you type in it? I, er, have some links I'd like didn't show up when other people use my computer. There's are right-click folder features from what I can tell.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I want to use an ad filter, but I only want to use it too weed out the most atrocious ads - not the harmless and purdy ones like SA and Fusion Ads for instance.

Is there some sort of "light" ad filter for Opera?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Mithaldu posted:

Just start out without any ads blocked, then whenever you see something that annoys you, do these steps:
1. right-click the page and, activate the blocking mode
2. shift-click the offending ad
3. click edit
4. trim down the url and add * as a wildcard where appropiate
5. click ok

This way only those that actually do annoy you will get blocked.
I've tried that, and I still ran into a bunch of ads. :/

ufarn
May 30, 2009

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Is the full screen view (f11) broken for anybody else? Looks like parts of the control aren't being redrawn. Might come from Dual-Screens + 1920x1200 resolution.

Should i file some sort of bug report for that? Or do they already know/not care about stuff in pre-alpha?
I'd report it if it isn't someone everyone experiences.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Sergeant Hobo posted:

Well this sucks. I was hoping that Opera's 10.5 builds could get into YouTube's HTML5 preview but no dice. Maybe it's time Opera get the ability to Identify/Mask itself as Chrome? It already has Firefox and IE.
What happens if you sign up in another browser? Still no dice?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Aaand now Vimeo has opened their HTML5 beta - H.264, of course. Dammit.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Casao posted:

Because Flash adopted x264, meaning any intelligent video storage site has been using x264 for a while now. This is why I said it's the de facto standard and why, "moral" objections aside, x264 is the far better choice for this.

I will be shocked if any current flash video site opens up and offers anything in ogg format, since they would have to convert every file in their system to ogg. Most of them have already done this for x264.
We agree - I'm just annoyed that Opera backs ogg, leaving most, if not all, HTML5 video services useless.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
On another note: I'm trying to create a search shortcut for Etsy and Amazon.co.uk. I've made a %s search query and entered the URL, but without any luck. What am I doing wrong?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Casao posted:

Why not just go to etsy.com/amazon.co.uk and right click the search box? Lets you create search keyword without editing any URLs.
Cool, I had completely forgotten about that. Thanks.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Can you guys not just make another codec thread? There are a lot of interesting things to be said about the matter - I've read some interesting links regarding it - but they are tangential to this thread's topic.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

thrawn86 posted:

someone posted a while back a problem about things getting screwed up while trying to rmb->mousewheel scroll through tabs with an in-page pdf open. the mouse loses all left click functionality, and I become stuck in the pdf. Its fixed by alt tabbing out, then mouse functionality is restored.

this has been happening in the last several releases, at least. anyone know of a workaround?
Can you not just change the MIME settings to open the .pdf in a program rather than the browser?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Is the Steam price-comparison script not working for anyone else? Both the alpha and standard edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Is it me, or have Opera added a lot of rounded corner-age to input field boxes lately?