Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
After weeks of stable builds the one they chose to be official beta does Pure Virtual Function Call on startup for me about half the time. Downgrading to just a few builds back (RC3 I think) fixes it. Score another point for Opera making bad decisions about deciding when to go to beta, although at least it's way more ready than the last 5 or so were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Since I can remember I've had it popup messages like that when hitting the back button in various places. I imagine that this a related bug with a much more frequent trigger.

You can just adblock *.rubiconproject.com to work around it though. I don't really like adblocking things because Opera is buggy but oh well, it's better than browsing in something else.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Everything important to clear to fix a broken install is in the folder in C:\users. If that's what you mean, you did what you should. Wiping program files does very little. In my experience generally you just want to rename your profile folder and actually uninstalling/reinstalling is a waste of time.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
At least unlike the last build it supposedly doesn't crash anymore if you happen to type "^^" someplace. :)

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Personally I think it's ridiculous to call anything release candidate that has even occasional issues with sites that are as popular as Yahoo or NY Times.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
RC3 feels pretty good to me so far, I have to say. It feels snappier than recent ones I've tried, and the only site I've had problems on is Google+, where clicking profile links just doesn't work most of the time and clicking photos generally takes about 10 seconds.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Looks like RC4 got the nod. I have to say it's a lot more ready than a release has been in a while.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
There was a new build yesterday with a bunch of crashfixes. I'm really glad to see a focus on bugfixing.
http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2012/11/09/important-crashfixes

After finding that Google+ is still unresponsive and nearly-unusable I had the realization that it got this way around the point when SPDY was implemented, so I tried disabling that and now it works great again. If you actually use google+ and it works poorly for you, I'd suggest unchecking all the SPDY stuff in opera:config.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I had that problem too about a month ago. It didn't happen again after I turned them all back.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

AbstractNapper posted:

Nope. Flash videos seem ok here (Windows 7 x64 SP1 with latest Opera 12.12 x64 and Flash 11.5.502.110). One or two times in a week or so I closed Opera and got the plugin has crashed message, but other than that it didn't crash Opera.

HTML5 videos (eg. youtube) on the other hand are a complete nightmare for my Opera. They won't crash the browser but they are hardly manageable, slow, unresponsive interface, full screen mode completely botched.

Same. Flash is fine. HTML5 got worse recently so I disabled it back to using flash and now all is well again.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
12.12 final is out. It's pretty usable these days, even.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
It was called "scroll marker". On investigation, apparently it was removed from the options and hidden in opera:config, and then removed altogether. You can try this extension: https://addons.opera.com/en/extensions/details/scroll-marker/

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Today's build has some fixes in it that sound really good.
http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2013/01/17/twelvethirteen

Optimizations for Google and Twitter? Images no longer turning off in every single tab for no reason? Yes please.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I think they mean how, on that webpage, the download links directly below upgrade your Stable build, while the ones on the sidebar on the righthand side of the page are Opera Next builds that install to a different folder.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Opera's interface/features with a much more-supported rendering engine would be basically my ideal browser. That said the current iteration is better than it's been in a long time.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
They haven't really taken tester comments into consideration in years. They just decide arbitrarily to release a build as final and whether or not it's more stable than the weekly before seems completely random. I'm still on build 1721 and haven't had any issue whatsoever, so I'd recommend going back to that until they get the new stuff figured out again.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Would be nice, but it really doesn't look like that's the way the wind is blowing right now. https://twitter.com/opvard/status/304660389398978560

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

ufarn posted:

Do we have an idea of when Opera for desktop switches to WebKit?

I think this is all we have:
https://twitter.com/nguzmanm91/status/311187354901692416

So, not really. :(

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
The fast way to find out is to close Opera, temporarily rename the user folder in appdata, and open it again. If it doesn't work, rename the folder back and there you go. It's worth a shot for the time spent. My experience with random bizarre page display breakages is that will do it when nothing else will.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I think I agree with whatever comments-poster who said they need to post some type of roadmap. It's fine to put out something missing most of the distinctive features if people at least know they're going to come back, but folks aren't going to hold out for something they don't know will happen.

I just want a functional rendering engine with tabs on the left side and stacking/pinning; why is this so hard? :sigh: I'm pretty sure I can live without almost everything else. Mouse gestures would be next on the list.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

flappin fish posted:

Mouse gestures, at least, are there and feel like they should to me.

That's good. I swear one of the random user comments I read said otherwise. I admit I won't get to try it until I get home from work today. But in this case I was more trying to list the main things I care about in a browser, generally.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Doom Goon posted:

Some comment by the M2 project manager (borg) in the gigantic thread on the Opera snapshot blog mentioned that when they started M2 a decade ago they debated moving it to a separate project, and also that because M2 uses Presto there's no real way of incorporating the mail engine without a rewrite/ton of development (which they can't really do as they're dealing with all their other problems).

Well, that's at least a much more sensible explanation than "because not everyone uses it, we took it out!"

I was briefly excited by the posts about some Chrome extensions being usable, but then discovered that Chrome has no side-tabs extensions that aren't an ugly separate-window hack. I feel cautiously optimistic that Opera will add that one in not super long though, which'd get me through the majority of my personal want-list.

Perhaps the question we should be asking is less "what's missing since Opera 12?" and more "what's added from Chrome?". I've never really jumped ship for more than a couple of days, so I'm not well versed here. Anybody able to make a good Chrome vs Opera 15 comparison? Presumably they at least want to bring over some users of other browsers, and don't mind alienating a few of their current ones in the process, so what does it seem like they're attempting to offer to new people?

[edit] Some other random things I learned from reading https://twitter.com/opvard
  • Apparently mobile had version 14. They seem to think of it less of skipping 2 versions than 14 existed but not on the desktop.
  • Linux version is confirmed future.
  • There is an internal roadmap and he claims that developers want to share it, but management is forbidding this.
  • "The desktop browser is probably the single browser product with the most engineers working on it."
  • Looks like they expected the backlash to be even worse: "I don't think the comments are that bad. I'm surprised at how positive a lot of long-time users are about the change."

Lakitu7 fucked around with this message at 01:25 on May 29, 2013

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Heresiarch posted:

I switched from Opera to Chrome as my primary browser a few months ago. They're very similar, but here's what I've noticed so far (aside from the immediately obvious UI differences like the menu button location):

* Opera 15 appears to be considerably faster that Chrome on page loading, but I haven't done any serious testing. Off-road mode is even faster and appears to work better than Opera Turbo did in v12.
* Certain Chrome features are improved, like the download, plugin, and extensions managers, all of which use a similar UI that allows filtering. I like this a lot.
* It has an Opera 12-style customizable speed dial, instead of Chrome's method of automatically populating it with popular items from your history. It's improved from 12, and I think it uses the same basic code as the Android version since you can now create folders in your speed dial. Again, I like this a lot.
* It does not appear to have a bookmark system outside of the Speed Dial. There is a greyed-out "bookmark importer" in the "more tools" area of the main menu, suggesting that there will be more options later.
* There's some other bits missing compared to Chrome, like the icon that shows up in the address bar when there are blocked plugins, but I suspect those are en route.

I'm not really using big local lists of bookmarks much anymore, so the only thing that's really keeping me from using this full-time over Chrome is the lack of a few extensions I can't do without anymore, like CommentBlocker and Pocket. I haven't had any crashes or significant problems and I've been using it most of today.

On the other hand, I can totally understand why most Opera users are going to be upset. I never used the panels, the note system, and lots of other Opera features, so the switch to Chrome wasn't that painful for me. If you used those features a lot then you're going to be very unhappy with this version since it's exceedingly stripped-down.

This is all encouraging to me. If it's faster than chrome, and reportedly pretty stable, that's certainly a great foundation for something great if they can bring back some of the old feature creep without ruining it all. Thanks for such a detailed reply.

AbstractNapper posted:

Adding to pessimism, I get a feeling that the preview version (feature set -wise) is closer to a final version 15 that I'd like to believe.

"I don't have any details to share about specific old features, but again, there will be versions after 15." - Opvard's twitter
I think they're creeping up the version numbers as quickly as they can because of this ridiculous version-number-war that all the browsers seem to be having, so yes I agree that this is close to final 15, but I also don't think that arbitrary tag matters at all to me personally.

Riso posted:

Someone linked a poll in the dev comments to see what features people considered important and what they will use in the future.
http://pollmill.com/f/farewell-opera-b1wtpmr.fullpage

Here's a direct link to the results of that one: http://pollmill.com/f/farewell-opera-b1wtpmr/answers.html
I think it confirms that most Opera users have a few features that are critical for them but which features these are has little consistency across users.

It seems to be that it would be basically impossible for them to please everyone without feature-creeping back up to the point where they have too many to reasonably maintain (especially after firing so many people), thus returning to being a buggy mess with 400 features that barely/don't work. Some features won't return, and they really shouldn't try to bring back everything because that was how they screwed up the first time, but like everyone I hope the cut things aren't my personal favorites.

Heresiarch posted:

http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/opera-features-and-release-cycle

Apparently they're going to be following the usual browser development cycle of dev/beta(aka next)/release in the future. But more importantly:

"A feature-rich tab bar" probably covers everything on my personal list. :toot: I feel bad for others left in wondering about theirs though.

Asimo posted:

While this is a bit of an overstatement, I honestly can't disagree. I literally see no reason not to just use Chrome or Firefox instead, since everything that made Opera unique is gone and those browsers are far better supported and established. I didn't abuse as much of it as some people here, but even little things like being able to heavily customize the hotkeys and layout were critical to me. :sigh: I guess most of their effort's on the mobile browser and the desktop is just a vestigial limb?

I kind of liked it, but the speed dial was very much a "nice thing in addition to bookmarks", not an outright replacement for it. Do people really use that few bookmarks? I admit my list is cruftier than most, but...

I may be really strange but I use the ridiculous number of tabs I can have open in place of bookmarks, and in place of speeddial. I have maybe fewer than 10 bookmarks. If I want to come back to something I just leave it open in a tab. There just isn't really an instance of something I want to come back to later, but not regularly enough to keep in a tab. I use keywords for a few things and I use custom searches heavily though. Custom searches being bugged in whatever version of Chrome I tried last year was the main reason I gave up on it quickly. For a time I tried one of those "read it later" extensions but found that if I went too long without reading a thing to the point I was stashing it, I just accept that I never will and close it. I feel decently confident that keywords will come back. One of these opvard tweets suggests that he personally uses it heavily.

Re: mobile emphasis, it was posted earlier that Desktop has a larger number of people working on it than Mobile, which would at least suggest otherwise.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I think the idea of "it's okay to have a ton of features so long as you polish one before you add the next" (which I realize you're not explicitly saying and may not be intended) ignores the continued maintenance for each one and added likelihood of each one conflicting with another. If the current base is pretty solid and fast, I agree that polishing one at a time is how they should probably bring it back, but I also think that each one added has a non-ignorable continued cost and taking that past a certain point becomes unsustainable regardless of whether they got there one-polished-at-a-time or many-half-baked.

Also a few years ago it was a lot of "first post" but in the more recent decline years it's been as much about "me too". Both types were equally unpolished.

Basically I have a bunch of tabs that fall into two categories:
1) Stuff I refresh whenever I get tired of whatever I am currently doing. E.g. forums, facebook, g+
2) Stuff I want to come back to eventually: to-read articles, or even just as a person to-do list. I might just leave a wikipedia tab open on the page of a band I want to listen to, for example.

I understand the thought behind putting #1 in speed-dial and #2 in stash, which are now the same thing as each other, but I'm not sure how I will like it in practice. Until I can put tabs on the side I can't stand to reasonably give it a try. That's my most dealbreaker of missing features. I also totally get that the new system would totally suck for people in other many-bookmarks use cases and I can't see how bookmarks was worth taking out even given the feature-creep opinions above.

Like you, the only thing I still use bookmarks for are obscure reference materials, but most of those I just forget I have bookmarked and re-find by typing 3 obvious descriptor words into google.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
:siren: New build!! :siren:
http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2013/05/30/opera-next-15-update
http://files.myopera.com/alex-shpak/blog/changelog.15.0.1147.24.txt

I have to say, a new build already does increase my optimism, even if it's all bugfixes. This also suggests to me that they're going to rush to call this 15 final. Somewhere else though I did read that they plan to already have 16 alphas at the same time when 15 final goes out.

Ape Agitator posted:

I think if you have a clear objective for what you want, the foundations for those shouldn't lead to that kind of bloat. They should, ideally, be starting with a clear objective of being Opera 12-ish in terms of feature development.
I suspect that's not actually their objective, but I agree that lots of features is definitely much more doable if you planned for them all in the first place.

Ape Agitator posted:

But I also have to concede that they're not really building up from scratch but rather expanding on Chromium so there's bound to be things in there that were not intended to provide Opera-like features like side tab bars (just guessing). Those will definitely trigger the kind of bug maintenance you're talking about. I guess it all depends on how much of this browser development they can control. If it's mostly skin and they're really just extension developers it's probably going to be kind of gross the more things they add in.

But perhaps they can efficiently prepare for Opera 12s featureset with intentional hooks for extensibility that aging Presto didn't provide for. I can only dream.

The new native user interface was redesigned from scratch, so it's about as far from a skin as you can get. - Opvard's twitter
The way I read this, the whole interface is their doing, native and without building off of Chromium's interface. Things like tab bars should be squarely within the stuff they did and can control fully-- just my interpretation though.

Lakitu7 fucked around with this message at 23:29 on May 30, 2013

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Riso posted:

Fast Forward doesn't even work in Opera 12.15 on SA right now!

Open fastforward.ini in your user profile (Appdata\you\Roaming\Opera, in windows). Make the "special ones" section look like this:
code:
;Special ones
›=150
"->"
"- >"
"-->"
"-- >"
"=>"
"= >"
"==>"
"== >"
">>"
"> >"
»
>>
"> >"
"> > >"
index.html=78
index.htm=78
default.htm=90
index.php=78
default.aspx=80
default.asp=80
index.html=90
welcome.htm=90
Then save and restart. That should fix it. No idea if it breaks any other sites.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
First 16 preview build is out: http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2013/07/19/opera-next-16
Looks like we get wand and the start of opera:config back (as opera:flags), and further confirmation of bookmarks, tab pinning within some weeks. Personally I hope that includes letting you put the tab bar on the sides. :)

quote:

Yesterday we pushed a candidate for Opera Next 16. I’m not surprised that many of you have figured it out already yesterday

Features that we’ve added for this build are
support for W3C Geolocation API,
form auto-filler,
support for jump-lists on Windows 7/8,
presentation mode is now available also on Mac,
opera:flags – you can play with experimental features there. Please remember that this game might be dangerous (and bite),
Opera 16 is based on Chromium 29.

From your previous feedback, there's a new setting in Browser > Start Page called "Preload Discover contents". If this is unchecked, no Discover content will be preloaded. Opera 16 won't preload Discover content in off-road mode. You can read the full changelog.

Please feel free to test and leave us comments – if you are not on the Next stream yet, go ahead and download it from attached links.

Opera and Opera Next run as separate installs so you can still use Opera 15 while running Opera Next 16 side by side to try out the new things. Opera Next 16 will also automatically update itself so you'll always have the latest build.

Usually, the first few comments are about the roadmap, so here are the features we’re currently working on: bookmarks, synchronization (Opera Link), enhancements in tabs handling (ie pinning and visual tabs) and themes. Our new rapid release cycle means that you should see the first cut of some of these in a few weeks’ time.

Downloads:
Mac
Windows

Known issues:
DNA-8133 - On Windows XP opera_autoupdate.exe throws an error with credui.dll library.
DNA-8270 - Most of HTTP sites don't load with off-road mode enabled.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I think that just about confirms every major thing I care about is coming back reasonably soon. Good news!

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I think the "right side of touchpad" thing is a driver-specific feature. Most laptops I've encountered have a Synaptics touchpad/driver, which did have that feature, and it didn't work with Opera. There's an ancient thread about it here: http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=10280
I remember one of those tweaks working for me way back in the day.

Even though you're using two fingers, not that, you may want to see if there is something relevant in the touchpad driver settings. I vaguely recall an app-specific settings area where you could specify to scroll x lines instead of default y. It's been years though.

Buried in one of the menus you'll find a "middle click options" button, and if you set it to "do nothing", then autoscroll will always work without opening tabs, searching anything, etc.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Wow, somebody found something worse than those Synaptics drivers I guess! The only other piece of advice I can suggest is that sometimes the drivers you get straight from the touchpad manufacturer are more featured than the (older) version from your laptop manufacturer. Otherwise, no idea. Good luck!

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

eXXon posted:

I tried Thunderbird and its search function is completely and utterly broken.

I don't want to go too far off topic, but in case you didn't know, confusingly there are two search functions in Thunderbird. I agree that the main "search" bar on the toolbar is horrible, but personally the "quick filter" searchbar handles almost everything I want to do very quickly and accurately. Maybe that might help ease your transition from M2 if you need to.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Thanks for bringing Otter to our attention. In some ways this is actually already closer to what I want than the new Operas, and open source means I can add whatever small things are missing / aren't to my personal liking. We can almost do left-side tabs already; they're just sideways instead of horizontal-on-the-side :)

[edit] Here's the bug about that. At least it's confirmed that it's coming. https://github.com/Emdek/otter/issues/35

I'll definitely be watching this one closely, if not attempting to contribute lightly.

Lakitu7 fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jan 7, 2014

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Check that you didn't accidentally adbock them, I guess? If all else fails, you can always temporarily relocate your user profile to see if a fresh one fixes it.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I think you want QCS more than Ask/Tell.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
You have access to the origin system, right? You should at least be able to transfer most of the things in the user profile folder manually, or manually import/export some things like address book, bookmarks, etc.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I know bookmarks were gone for a while and the great bookmarks controversy is totally worth bringing up as an example of bone-headed ideas in the post-12 world, but didn't they finally add bookmarks back somewhere around version 18? Or is there something wrong with the implementation that makes it still not really bookmarks?

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

RandomCheese posted:

I am missing the address bar g for google e for ebay etc style searches so hopefully I can find a way to add that to firefox, but there's no turning back at this point.

It's just like Opera; no plugin required. Right click a search field and hit "add a keyword for this search". These are then editable in the bookmark manager (the keyword field is hidden behind a "more options" dropdown).

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I remember that during a particular set of 12 nightlies, and then randomly on a few profiles after it was fixed in a later version, but profile-wipe always fixed it. If that already didn't work, I have no idea. :(

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Firefox's panorama has done a pretty good job of replacing tab groups for me. You just have to get used to pressing a hotkey for a menu of groups instead of clicking on something that was already there. Without left-side tabbars, groups wouldn't work for me anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Google and plenty of other sites like to try to identify the browser and serve up different content. If it's not on their whitelist (Chrome, Firefox, etc.), they serve the basic versions, regardless of whether the browser could have handled the more advanced content. Opera 12 had this with gmail and even regular google.com "google instant" for a while. Try a user agent switching extension.