Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repeater
Dec 21, 2001

"Choo-Choo"
The Hurkey Jerkey Dancer

Prize Loser posted:

So I've been switching between Chrome and Firefox for the past few years. This time when I got fed up with Firefox I didn't feel like dealing with the problems I have with Chrome for a month or two, so I thought I'd try Opera. So far I've been able to get everything either exactly how I like it or close enough that I can adapt to the differences. Except one thing.

I know Opera doesn't currently have the functionality built in, but is there an extension that securely syncs the full browser history between computers or some other hackish way I could do it*? This is something I've grown to rely on and I'd really, really like to have that functionality in Opera.

*I've managed to sync the history insecurely by using symlinks and Dropbox. I don't really want Dropbox to have my browser history in plaintext, and adding truecrypt to the mix would just make the system more difficult to use. There's also a weird issue where while the browser has access to the full history, it doesn't change the color of links in the history file properly (which would be really helpful for Reddit). I haven't the foggiest idea why, though.

I actually use unison for this, and it's kept all the settings on all my computers in sync without me having to lift a finger for years.

http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unison_(file_synchronizer)

It's pretty painful to learn all the syntax and get your configs set up right the first time, but after that it should just keep chugging without needing any babysitting. It can talk ssh as well, so you can keep things encrypted when you sync stuff outside your local network.

It apparently has a decent GUI so that might make it easier to dive in to, but I've never looked at it since I wrote all my configs back before it had one and haven't had to tweak much since then.

If any of that sounds like a horrible ordeal, it probably is going to be and I'd just wait until someone writes a specific opera sync plugin or opera link starts to do what you want or something. Just throwin it out there since it's worked great for me for years.

Oh, and the history thing just sounds like they never thought to code in "hey what would happen if someone swapped out the global-history.dat file underneath us" beyond just making sure it loads up ok on the next run. I actually exclude that file from syncing because I like leaving the history on each computer, so I never noticed that problem.

I'm assuming because of that behavior that means the visited history actually lives outside the normal .dat files and in the cache somewhere or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU