Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Is there any way to get a nice light-on-dark theme going? Virtually everything I've tried either keeps the mail tabs dark-on-light or makes them unreadable.

I've read you can manually change the css for mail pages and the like but gently caress if I'm going to go about changing dozens of colours by hand to see if they look any good together by chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I had mail stop working for no discernible reason yesterday. I could send messages but checking did absolutely nothing. I had to remove and re-add all mail accounts before it worked again. This isn't the first time I've had mail accounts randomly stop working (or accidentally delete thousands of emails from the server). Maybe I should just use Thunderbird.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I don't have that problem but I find it will often reload every loving window for no good reason. Like I have them loaded, then press the home button, send a message or something and come back 30 seconds later and it has to reopen everything. Often it will also just gently caress up and lose all of the tabs.

I should probably just give up and use the android browser but it's still relatively feature poor.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I keep having trouble staying logged in on the forums with Opera android. Roughly half of the time I log in and it just doesn't accept the cookie or something. Anyone else having this issue?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Also I have the same IMAP email accounts open in Opera on two different desktops and one of them is missing a few emails that are in my inbox on the other client.

What the hell is wrong with this browser? Is it the threaded view loving things up or something?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I tried turning on webgl and hardware acceleration to test some pages and forgot to turn them off. The lesson you should take from this is don't enable either of those options unless you have to because one or the other was causing Opera to crash constantly.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Anyone else having Opera Mobile crash to desktop constantly? I'm using it on a Nexus S and sometimes it crashes with just 3 or 4 tabs open. Plus I googled 'opera mobile android crash to desktop' and it return 0 results :rolleyes:.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I use Opera Mobile on a Nexus S identifying as a desktop client (not mobile) and the loving thing crashes to desktop all the drat time, whereas the android browser doesn't. Although it sucks in other ways. Is this common or what? IT doesn't even save tabs if I restart it.

Plus, if I hit the home button and then navigate back to Opera after even just 20 seconds, it will restart and reload every drat tab. Is it supposed to be doing this poo poo?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

This is facebook for the last week, both on 12.11 and 12.15 with or without adblock. :downsbravo:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I've refreshed dozens of times, restarted, updated opera, turned adblock on and off. Same poo poo. It only seems to happen on this install.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

There's nothing blocked in the block content view. I turned off adblock, hit F5, ctrl-F5, went to delete private data and deleted the entire cache, restarted opera, tried it in a new private window and the same poo poo happens. This is kind of ridiculous.

I can't imagine the install is fundamentally broken because everything else is working fine, it's just facebook that's completely nonfunctional like that.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Does the new Opera mobile still have the godawful URL autocomplete 'feature'?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Doom Goon posted:

Opera 18 development out for Windows and Mac. They pretty much just flat out say its focus is what they've already been working on (tabs, Quick Access Bar, search manager), so nothing exciting. The big changes are moving tabs between windows and.. uh... theme installation stabilization. There's some pop-up failure Known Issue, so you might want to wait until the next one.

Opera: You might want to wait until the Next one. That's a pretty good tagline.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

My favourite Linux Opera 12 bug: If you have a popup from email (e.g. message from email server) open at the same time as a dialog box (e.g. file attachment), you cannot close either dialog and are forced to restart the browser.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

More opera fun times. Pretty much every message in one of my mail accounts prior to 2011 was blank. I logged into the mail server with this account and opened my inbox with Pine. Opera mail then re-downloaded every single message in my mailbox. That's nice because I now have the text from all of those missing messages, but of course I also now have duplicate copies of all of them, one of which is blank.

I logged into a different, lovely university mail account running through outlook mail. I had constantly been getting 'authenticate error' when trying to retrieve mail from this account with Opera, even with the correct login/password. After logging out of the webmail, I stopped getting authenticate errors and suddenly received 6-7 messages it had failed to download from the last 2 weeks. To be fair, I don't think this is opera mail's fault, because I also got those messages on my phone at the same time. I guess this one is more of an illustration of how Outlook mail is lovely and how my university is dumb as hell for contracting their mail services out to Microsoft for no discernible reason.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Chakan posted:

I don't really pay attention to browsers almost ever. All I know is that I've got Opera 12 and it is very clearly and very rapidly becoming unable to do the things that I want. But, I want things like tab stacking that aren't (AFAIK) available in newer versions, or other browsers. What am I supposed to do? Accept that tab stacking is dead and full switch to chrome or new opera? Or is there some hope that something like what I currently have exists?

Complain about it on the internet.

Seriously, I don't think anyone has an answer. For now I'm just continuing to use Opera 12 while I can and using chrome/firefox for sites that just don't work. The alternative of piling on a bunch of crappy extensions that break with every update and are never guaranteed to be mutually compatible doesn't really appeal to me.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I finally got sick of Opera Mobile crashing constantly and wiping out all of my tabs. I upgraded it to the new chromium version and now half of the text on website like the forums is huge and the other half is tiny and hard to read. What the hell, Opera?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Computer viking posted:

That sounds oddly like a known Firefox mobile bug - of the FF side, you can work around it by turning the text size (in their settings) all the way down. If opera mobile has a similar setting, try playing with it.

I don't see any options for font sizes in the new Opera Mobile. Ugh.

On a slightly more positive note, I've given up on Opera as a desktop browser but the mail client is still okay. I just can't find anything better for Windows. I tried Thunderbird and its search function is completely and utterly broken. Evolution is decent for Linux but the Windows version is a 3-year old beta.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Well, I guess I'm done with Opera 12. I was using it for browsing + mail on a Fedora system. .opera got fairly large so I moved it to a raid array and replace it with a simlink. One of the drives failed, and for some reason it got stuck in read-only mode while it was rebuilding. I made the mistake of trying to start Opera before the rebuild finished and it somehow managed to overwrite all of my preference files (mail, speed dial, open tabs, theme, whatever else) that were stored on this read-only filesystem and start me off with a single blank tab, no speed dial or mail accounts. :psyduck:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Mithaldu posted:

I don't remember where, but one of their devs confirmed at one point that due to business decisions, and the restrictions put on them by chromium, they have no intent to ever come close to Opera 12's feature range.

Have the developers had time to realize what a terrible mistake they've made?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Mithaldu posted:

The developers knew from the start, that's why many of them were let go. And the business side is happy. Profits have only risen since Opera's main income sources are mobile and ads.

But wasn't the mobile side already doing well? I don't really have a problem with the new mobile anyhow, I'm still using it and if there are any missing features I can't even remember what they are. But I thought the whole point of switching to chromium was to streamline the desktop experience or whatever it was.