Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charun
Feb 8, 2003

Does anyone know if the 10 Alpha still vulnerable to these issues?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charun
Feb 8, 2003

Anunnaki posted:

Why did they make the decision to only support Ogg?

Apparently on linux it supports most formats as it uses the GStreamer decoder. They also do this on other platforms, but codec support is limited.
info here: http://my.opera.com/core/blog/2009/12/31/re-introducing-video

Charun
Feb 8, 2003

^^ I meant open source software, not open sound system, sorry.

Meiji Mangaka posted:

What they really need to do is just use your system codecs. There are arguments against it but they're probably much weaker arguments than those against shipping with H.264 itself, and it offloads any patent/licensing responsibility to the end user. There are probably problems with multiplatform or something, but having to fall back to Theora sometimes is better than only having Theora all the time.

Reading the opera blog stuff, it looks like they couldn't go with direct show codecs because direct show doesn't support streaming (and it would suck to wait for something to download before watching) so they're using gstreamer which is a cross platform direct-show like interface.

Gstreamer supports ffmpeg (and therefore H.264) but opera has to follow software patents so they can't distribute the proper codec plugin. Gstreamer is OSS so its just a matter of installing a plugin for it (gst-plugins-bad) in opera to support other codecs, which the version in linux already supports.

Google has heaps of cash, and they probably don't have to pay much more to get the licence for chrome as they probably have a decent one already for youtube.

Charun fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jan 25, 2010

Charun
Feb 8, 2003

down1nit posted:

WTF Opera Mini on the iPhone?

http://techcrunch.com/2010/02/10/opera-mini-iphone/

I'm not sure what Apple's going to do. Any bets?

EDIT: Some of the TC commenters make a good point, Opera Mini is basically a web enabled photo viewer with some HTML <map> thrown in. Obviously an oversimplification, but as long as Opera's servers handle all the data and stick to Apple's APIs shouldn't it get approved pretty quick?

I sure as hell hope so. My mobile data costs are way to high.
Didn't apple kill google voice because it 'replicated built-in phone featutes' or something?

Charun
Feb 8, 2003

Lakitu7 posted:

I think that used to happen kind of on accident because clicking the active tab would cause it to minimize, which would show you the tab behind it. Now that it seems we can't change window sizes of individual tabs, it's gone. It doesn't seem to work in the tab bar anymore either.

What do you guys mean?
The windows 7 tabs thing can be configured under opera:config and searching for windows (or going to opera:config#UserPrefs|UseWindows7TaskbarThumbnails)
You can window tabs inside opera by right clicking the tab > arrange > restore
You can minimise by clicking active tab by going into Preferences> advanced> additional tab options> click on tab to minimise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charun
Feb 8, 2003

kapalama posted:

But don't report it as a bug please, please. SOmetimes that's the only way to figure what forgotten password are.

you could just use the get password powerbutton from http://operawiki.info/PowerButtons#retrievewand
Really the only way to stop this is to add a master password to encrypt your wand passwords, which opera lets you do. The passwords will have to be in clear text on your system at some point in order to submit them to the server, anything that looks more secure is just a false sense of security.