Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I just discovered that it's possible to use site-specific proxy servers.

http://my.opera.com/Tamil/blog/index.dml/tag/override.ini

I'm going to use this at work. The old proxy server allows more stuff, and doesn't ask my password 20 times when I start Opera, unlike the new one. But I'm allowed to use YouTube on the new one, so I added an entry on the override to use the new proxy server for that site. It's awesome, no more switching to IE when I want to watch silly videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

er0k posted:

I can't get this to work. My override.ini file looks like this:

code:
[Overrides] 

[youtube.com]
Proxy|HTTP server=localhost:8888
but it won't use the proxy. In some of the comments someone said to leave the address and port fields empty in preferences, but that didn't work either.

You need a 'youtube.com' (no quotes) line right below the [Overrides] section as well. The .downloaded file does it the same way; a line in the Overrides section, and a section for each override.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

bell biv devoe posted:

I'm very avidly against bookmarking things, I somewhat blame this on Firefox 3's quick-bar being so fantastic in 3.0.

I've been using Opera for about a month now, and the quickbar is horrible. In Firefox I could type in something such as "gmai" and gmail.com would pop up - with Opera, it posts any sort of history/url that had "gmai" in it. So of course, I get all of these random google searches as I typically stay logged in to my gmail account with googling.

Is there a fix for this? I'm assuming its a pretty common request but I didn't see it mentioned in this thread.

Preferences -> Advanced -> History and then uncheck the box "Remember Content on Visited Pages".

That should decrease the amount of weird hits significantly.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Is there a way to make opera open a file that doesn't get the correct mime-type from the server you're getting it from, in the correct program anyway? I'm trying to open an sgf-file in my sgf-editor, but it gets sent as text so opera opens it itself. I could just download it and open it locally, but I don't want to do that.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
When I'm using my netbook, I don't get any scrollbars on SA. On other sites they work fine. Any ideas? I'm using Opera 10.

Edit: hmm. For some reason, I have them back now. Weird.

uXs fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Oct 22, 2009

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Is there a way to make opera auto-detect the language you're typing in? (For the spell-checker.) I need to type stuff in two different languages, and having to switch manually annoys me.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I upgraded to 10.51 and I have a problem:

On binsearch, you can select some files and it creates an .nzb-file. This works fine. However, when I then select some other files, it creates a different .nzb-file. Or at least it should, because with Opera 10.51 it apparently uses a cached result. How can I turn this 'feature' off so it gets the new nzb every time?

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
The internet is a lot quicker than 10 years ago but I'm pretty sure having it always refresh images would make my browsing experience suck rear end.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
K. Doesn't help though, it still keeps giving me the (several hours) old file.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Why is Opera so goddamn retarded about proxy authentication? Instead of asking for login/pass once and only re-request if that fails, it pops up a dialog like 10 times for every single tab you have open when opera starts, and god knows how many when surfing the net.

This makes Opera basically unusable if you're behind such a proxy, unless you use something like cntlm that handles the authentication for you.

I can't understand how this situation can persist for years and years and Opera doing squat to solve it.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I downgraded back to 10.1 because 10.50 was unbearably slow. At work anyway, at home I don't have any problems.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Armitage_Shanks posted:

Disable "enable pipelining" under Performance in about :config. You are probably going through a proxy that doesn't support this feature.

Tried it, doesn't look like it helped.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
What would it take for Opera to fix their retarded proxy handling system? When I start Opera, it asks for the proxy password on every single goddamn tab. This has been going on for years and years and it never gets fixed. What do they think, I want to use a different password for the same proxy on 20 tabs? :rant:

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Opera is soooooooo amazingly lovely with proxy servers that require authentication. And it gets worse with every release, it's like they do it on purpose. The only reason I haven't switched completely to FF at work is because I haven't found a fast-forward plugin yet.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

DuckConference posted:

I was accessing sabnzbd with opera jsut fine prior to 11.6, but now I seem to have a problem. Previously, I could use the url [url]http://[/url][::1]:8111/queue/ to access the web interface, but now it complains that is has invalid characters. Using localhost or 127.0.0.1 has never worked with opera, so how does opera want me to say localhost in IPv6?

In sabnzdb+, change Config-General - Host to 127.0.0.1. Then use http://127.0.0.1:8080/ as the link in Opera. That works fine for me, using sabnzdb+ 0.6.14.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Does the new one have fast-forward yet?

If I ever don't have a browser with fast-forward for reading the forums I'll literally have to kill myself. And I'm taking you all with me.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Heresiarch posted:

Fast forward was never very reliable for me on any site so I never started using it much.

Riso posted:

Fast Forward doesn't even work in Opera 12.15 on SA right now!

How are you people even alive???

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

ufarn posted:

I remember when Opera presented a touch-based standard relying on rel="next" and rel="prev" something like five years ago, and I've been wondering why nothing ever came of this.

It's still weird that they branched out to do a second browser, but maybe it's for the better.

Is this about the fast-forward thing? Does that work yet?

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

ufarn posted:

Well it doesn't work on Coast, so don't bother.

It's the navigation that allows you to go to the defined "next" page by pressing Space at the bottom of a webpage in the old version (15?) of Opera.

Some of the sites supporting this are Daring Fireball and NeoGAF. SA used to support this, but it got mangled in the recent redesign.

It's basically one of the simplest and best browser featured that no one has bothered to implement.

Still works on SA, but you have to edit the fastforward.ini. As long as the new Opera doesn't have fast-forward functionality, I won't upgrade.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Does the new Opera have support for FastForward yet? If not, who do I have to kill to get it?

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Riso posted:

Most of the stuff is available as an extension. A couple pages ago people were posting several.

I hate, hate, hate hate hate that. In my experience, almost all extensions are poorly maintained pieces of crap that don't really do what you want anyway. gently caress the current browser landscape where everything sucks.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Boogalo posted:

I just want old bookmarks and mouse gestures. Right click a link and pull down to open in new tab doesn't work in any of the extensions I've tried.

Mouse gestures and fast forward.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Since about yesterday, when I do a Google image search with old Opera, I get a list of images with some text below them. Clicking on the image brings me to the website of the image.

It used to be that I got just the images with no text, and clicking just gave me a larger version of the image, with a sidebar with 'visit page' and 'view image' and related images and poo poo.

Any idea how I can get it back to that? All my other browsers still do it the 'correct' way.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Tiggum posted:

For some reason some Google sites have started identifying Opera 12 as a tablet or phone. I've got it set as "mask as internet explorer" to make image search and Calendar both work correctly.

Aw gently caress yeah, thanks. I had tried masking as Firefox but that didn't work.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I'm getting very annoyed at the lack of usable keyboard navigation. There are addons for it for Firefox (what the poo poo, this should be standard functionality), but they expect you to tab through all links to get the one you want. What the poo poo, why isn't there spatial navigation, old Opera has had that for ages?

God I hate the current browser situation, they all suck rear end.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Spatial navigation? Downloading this sucker right now.

(Yeah I know the spatial navigation isn't there yet, sue me.)

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I've been using Vivaldi for like a week now. It's not finished obviously and some poo poo plainly doesn't work, but I like it.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I converted a long long time ago, best decision I ever made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Quidthulhu posted:

If I rapidly highlight and unhilight parts of webpages, Vivaldi crashes.

It does teach me about my OCD habits, though, which is nice I guess!

This happens to me too, drat I thought I was the only one.