Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
^^^
Have you exited Opera properly? Or has it crashed or you've shut down the machine with it still running? These will often cause it to drop recent changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Lakitu7 posted:

http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/2009/12/17/christmas-comes-early-for-opera-users

Sounds like the long silence has had them working on a new something or other. Maybe hardware acceleration finally?
I'd like to see tighter UI integration with Windows 7, though that's unlikely. My biggest wish would be for the Windows 7 taskbar previews to show the contents of the individual tabs, a la Internet Explorer in Win7. Much better than the new tab/thumbnail previews in v10, which I find to be sort of unnecessarily silly.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone been having issues with in-page searches (the ones where you hit . and start typing)? I'll hit . and type and nothing will happen until I physically click the 'find next' button.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
^^^

Neat. I verified that solution with my install, but then I opened my search.ini and pulled out a lot of cruft that had built up in it over time, especially a lot of searches were marked 'deleted' but were still present. I have a hunch that the 'find in page' search may have caused some issues. I completely obliterated that entry (and a bunch more of the default type entries), and now my inline search works just wonderfully. So one way or the other, we're both back in business!

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Ape Agitator posted:

Edit: So here's the deal. It appears Opera requires that you keep the original entry for "Find in Page" in your searches. You can change the keystroke assignment but if you delete it and rebuild it it will break Find-in-page. It's perfectly repeatable for me. Some time ago I rebuilt my searches to make them better organized and in the process broke the new Find in the process. And two attempts at hand rebuilding my searches revealed that Opera loves that entry in the custom searches and will be a spiteful bitch if you ever delete it.
I don't think this is the case. I explicitly deleted the 'find in page' entry from my search.ini file. I've had the 'f' search keyword mapped to Facebook search for as long as I can remember. Things are still just hunky dory for me. If you want, I'll post my whole search.ini file, but it's pretty ugly.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Manky posted:

Man, now all I want to know is what search engine you're using that you've got to censor it.
It's probably xtube. It's always xtube.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
Is this a feature or a bug I've discovered? Every time I click a link outside of Opera, say in Outlook or from an instant messenger conversation, Opera opens it in a Private tab. I've checked associations in Opera, checked privacy settings, and checked my Windows file type associations. This isn't so annoying, and in a few situations probably a good idea, but it gets tiring on cookied websites since it sandboxes itself and makes me log in every time.

Opera 10.54
Windows 7 x64

Aunt Beth fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jun 8, 2010

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

thegreatcodfish posted:

I actually have a problem with sync duplicating my bookmarks, which gets kind of annoying.
This is easily fixed. Just log into my.opera.com and look for the Opera Link menu at top. There's a duplicate bookmark removal tool there.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
I think extensions have potential. I've personally always found Unite and Widgets useless. I can see the utility in UserJS, but I've never found any need for it. Opera's suffering from feature bloat, but unlike most other software, it's not in your face or particularly impactful (is that a word?) on performance, thankfully.

Edit: gibbed, I haven't really found that to be the case. What do you mean? I've really found nothing 'ruined' that can't be fixed by some tweaking. My biggest gripes were with keyboard shortcuts, but they've maintained a 9.2 compatibility profile, so that's not an issue.

Aunt Beth fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Dec 16, 2010

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
Yes indeed, bookmarks are back and they don't entirely suck! It at least seems that Opera Developer (25.0) is starting to catch up with... every other browser on Earth.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Mithaldu posted:

Win7 64 bit. Here's how Vivaldi behaves for me, in comparison to Opera 12:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqvSc3_RZTo

I open a bunch of tabs, duplicate them, and then hit ctrl+t a bunch to make new tabs, as well as tab cycle while scrolling as fast as i can. Vivaldi is noticably slower than Opera 12 for both of these tasks. Does it really behave differently for you guys?
This is pretty much exactly how Vivaldi behaves for me. :smith:

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Stanley Pain posted:

I have no idea how you can use Vivaldi.
It gets noticeably better with every new release. I should probably just switch to Firefox or something, but I just don't wanna :colbert:

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Mithaldu posted:

You could switch back to Opera 12
One question about 12: have they kept up with patching to support/deprecate various protocols since all these crypto vulnerabilities have been discovered? Or is it just an unsupported old browser at this point?

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Mithaldu posted:

Is it reasonably fast yet?
The beta is MUCH speedier than even the most recent alphas. It's getting there. I've been using it as my daily for quite a while now. Though like every other Chromium browser it just eats all the memory.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Mithaldu posted:

It struggles when opening a bunch of empty tabs at once. It struggles when closing them again. It struggles when switching between tabs, even after giving it some time to settle down.

It struggles with utterly simple things in unchallenging situations. I can only imagine how badly it runs once you're actually throwing any kind of load at it.

This is seemingly unchanged.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqvSc3_RZTo
Hey, I didn't say it's perfect yet. I said it's much better.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
Vivaldi Beta 2 just dropped today! Every release gets a little faster, a little more responsive, a little more stable (as it should), a little more like O12.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
Anyone have a selection for a (more reliable than I'm using) script blocker for Vivaldi? I'm currently using ScriptBlock 1.3.0 out of the Chrome extensions catalog, but after a few clicks per session it gives up loading the settings UI until I restart Vivaldi. Example below. I click and all I get is a cute little arrow instead of the Allow/Block/Temp dialog.

Aunt Beth fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Feb 9, 2016

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
That article made me sad. It's like the last nail in the coffin for what used to be an awesome company that made awesome products :smithcloud:

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

RoadCrewWorker posted:

vivldy , now appropriately misspelled for web 2.0 start-up urls
Vivad.ly

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
Post in Vivaldi's forums. They're very very good about discussing feature requests usually!

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

WattsvilleBlues posted:

The animations use the GPU/iGPU, not the CPU.

In other news, Opera 64 bit is now available on Windows on the stable channel. It's a nippy little performer. I'm on Vivaldi these days but it's quite buggy and hard to recommend to laypeople.
I haven't found Vivaldi to be particularly buggy today for day-to-day use recently (aside from the typical Chrome pigginess), have you encountered anything major?

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
I got myself into the habit of just typing a space after an address to defeat autocomplete. It's gross, but my fingers remember now.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, 1.9 has issues. It changed my default address bar search to a random other search (from Bing). On one PC it changed it to Solarwinds, on another to YouTube.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

lurksion posted:

Reverting to 1.13 - did 1.14 break address bar dropdowns for anyone else?
Yeah. All it did was disable it for me though. I went into options and just turned them on.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

suffix posted:

Vivaldi 2 made the color changing tab thing way too bright.
I set the "Limit Accent Color Saturation" setting down to 10% and now it's tolerable.
I switched to the Light theme. That seems to behave how 1.x did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

I still miss tab stacking too
Very much a thing in Vivaldi