Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Shazzner posted:

Is anyone have problems with embedded flash? Particularly Youtubes in posts glitch out when I scroll down.

Also is there a way to display the page title in the status bar or some sort? It's hard to tell what thread I'm reading when flipping through tabs.

There are some problems with flash, the thing I've seen is that if you move a tab from one window to another on a second monitor, flash won't follow. It still renders in the first monitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

NFX posted:

I get it from time to time as well (also did with 10.50), and it seems to happen most often to larger images, so I guess it's some memory problem.

Yeah, actually I've had something similar as well. Large images, several (as in >15) tabs open. Large images stop loading. Restarting Opera has helped, even if it's a pain.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Buml0r posted:

I don't want Windows to treat each tab as a separate window, but now I might finally have been dealt the reason to switch to Firefox.)

opera:config#UserPrefs|UseWindows7TaskbarThumbnails

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Buml0r posted:

So it is a bug then, rather than a feature I'm misunderstanding?

Yes.

I feel that Opera 10.50 is the flakiest Opera release since 7.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Angryhead posted:

Installed it and even deleted cookies, still can't login. Just goes back to the login page, without logging in.

That could be related to the other redirect bugs, like no being able to copy a redirecting link's address after visiting it or SA's "jump to next unread message in thread" feature.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
I don't remember if this has been discussed yet, but both Opera Mobile 10 and Opera Mini 5 have gone final (two weeks ago).

Both are free. :hellyeah:

I have been using Opera Mini on my mobile phone, but Opera Mobile is even better and faster. Both use the same UI, so if you've used Opera Mini 5 betas, you should be familiar with it.

http://m.opera.com/

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Wheany posted:

Opera can do the dumbest stuff:

XHTML, javascript and SVG This page works in Firefox as well.

User javascript file that does the same effect on every web page

Holy poo poo, the first version works on Opera Mobile 10 as well. That is just wrong.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Anunnaki posted:

Is there a way to make Opera not open external URLs as a private tab? This is annoying as gently caress.

Do you mean that you have some site open in a private tab and you want links that are not on the same domain open in a non-private tab?

I don't think that's possible.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

GobyWan posted:

Ok, I am having an insane problem. I was trying to load an article from smashingmagazine.com, but when I opened it up, it was clearly using the wrong

Smashingmagazine.com redirects me to http://www.smashingmagazine.com/wp-content/w3tc/pgcache/_default_.html.deflate, which sounds like a bug at their end. Probably, if you ran an inflate algorithm on the data in that address you'd get sensible output.

If it works with other browsers, looks like smashingmagazine.com does some browser sniffing that cuases it to return a compressed data stream but for some reason it's not marked as such in the headers.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Ape Agitator posted:

However, I do wish they retained the optional image only "O" button because it seems remarkably inconsistent to have the button with the text when everything else in Opera conforms to the Customization option of "Images" or "Images and Text" and variations between.

It's an alpha. I'm 100% sure they will fix that.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Cosmopolitan posted:

Actually, it was an intentional design decision.

Yes, and it will become configurable. By the next alpha/beta release.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

c0burn posted:

Are SA Last Read links still broken?

Yes. But I think the brokennes expires every few hours, so I suspect it's a cache thing.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Cosmopolitan posted:

Opera Link has been a feature since 9.5. Log in with your MyOpera account, and all of your settings will automagically reappear with every new install/upgrade. :ssh:

Not all of your settings. Just bookmarks, speed dial and notes.

It won't sync your toolbars, user-js, content blocker and wand settings, for example.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Does anyone know if you can change the speed the cursor in Opera Mobile moves? Because currently it jumps maybe 15 pixels per button press, which is enough to jump over many small links (for example links to "next page" that use a single character like so: » )

Sometimes I find myself circling several times around a link in an attempt to hit it.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Has Opera stopped remembering visited links across sessions?

Because mine has :(

Now all links in Netvibes and Let's play archives show up as unvisited after restart. :emo:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
God dammit, why do they keep loving around with the context menus? At least they made "Image properties" the last menu item again, but now they made "Search" the first menu item when text is selected.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Mithaldu posted:

Do you guys know you can change that by editing the menu ini file?

Yeah, but I shoudn't have to.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

ufarn posted:

Remember that with the newly implemented WebM support, Opera can now run HTML5 videos on YouTube with WebM.

But there is really no reason to do that right now, because the interface sucks. I tried it for a while as a curiosity and pretty quickly returned to flash.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Wheany posted:

Now all links in Netvibes and Let's play archives show up as unvisited after restart. :emo:

Okay, this has something to do with the cache. I increased my disk cache to the maximum and disabled "empty on exit". I don't know which one did it, but now Opera remembers my visited links across sessions.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Reisen posted:

The new version installed today and the word "Menu" was back next to the menu image (which is on the tab bar, so I can't set it to images only without taking text off of the tabs). So I tried to move the menu to another bar, which worked fine except it did not remove itself from the initial bar. And the "Remove from toolbar" option is grayed out for new and old buttons. So now I have three menu buttons. Help?

Sounds like a bug, you should report it.

https://bugs.opera.com/wizard/

As first aid, open opera:about, go to the "Opera directory", open the toolbar sub-directory and edit the ini file there. Search for "MenuButton0" and remove them from where you don't want them.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Wheany posted:

Okay, this has something to do with the cache. I increased my disk cache to the maximum and disabled "empty on exit". I don't know which one did it, but now Opera remembers my visited links across sessions.

The gently caress it does. And now I have confirmed this problem on my Linux netbook as well. This has been the most annoying Opera release in a long time for me between this issue and the context menu changes.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Lakitu7 posted:

There hasn't been a new build since July 9. Pretty much every time that happens they come back with some wacky new feature I rarely care about and focus on that for another month instead of fixing all the strange quirks and pages that don't work. :(

They're on summer vacation.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Lakitu7 posted:

I thought you were joking but you're right.

http://twitter.com/opvard/

It's a Nordic (Norwegian) company. Long vacations.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
New release, 10.61

changelog

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Just wondering if that's a problem of my local install or a general new bug.

Happens for me too.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
New 10.70 build

And I predict a new 10.6-branch build in the near future: http://secunia.com/advisories/41083/

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Mr. Clark2 posted:

For some odd reason...its working now. :iiam:
Opera 10.60 by the way. One other thing...spoilered text hasnt worked for me in opera for some time now, anyone else getting this behavior?

Are you using fit-to-width? Because for me at least, that causes spoiler text to be white on black all the time, not just when hovering over it.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Wheany posted:

Oh hey, it's actually a lovely implementation of a privacy feature! A malicious web site can use CSS to set a:link and a:visited so that they can check, using javascript, what sites you have been visiting and build a profile of your surfing habits.

http://dbaron.org/mozilla/visited-privacy

You know what has two thumbs and also is interested in what sites I have been visiting?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

bartkusa posted:

I just got a new tablet PC with multitouch. Is there any way to configure Opera to treat touch inputs as "pan," and pen gestures as "select text"? I haven't had to muck with Opera inputs much before....

I think you probably have to configure those in the OS. So if there is a way to make touch inputs as scrolling, I imagine those would work with Opera as well. Or ir you can configure the driver to handle touch inputs as "ctrl + alt + mouse" when using Opera, that could work as well.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Druggachusettes posted:

Thanks, sorry for bumping for something I could have found with 30 seconds of effort =/

Yeah, Opera can do that

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

greatant posted:

How do you guys think the new extensions will fit together with the current userjs? There's gonna be a bit of crossover in functionality.

UserJS will continue being "extensions for specific web pages", while extensions will be "extensions for the whole browser".

Widgets will continue to be "Dumb useless poo poo that no-one uses"

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
The current extension API doesn't look that exciting. It really does not expose anything that could not have been done with User JS. I guess installing extensions is a bit easier than installing use JS, but that's pretty much it.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

ColdPie posted:

As someone who rarely has more than 10-15 tabs open at a time, and that's only during complicated programming sessions, I've always wondered the use case that leads to 150 tabs open at once. What are you doing where that's a more efficient way to browse than just using bookmarks or Google?

I use Netvibes as my RSS reader. I open Netvibes, then middle click a couple dozen of links, then read those and repeat.

And also the soft bookmark/to do thing.

Although, when I realize that I've had some tabs open for days and never reading them, I just close them.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
I had Opera taking about 1.8 GB of memory (private bytes according to Process Explorer), which was pretty impressive, I think. Then Flash crashed and it dropped to around 1.2 GB.

Anyway, I didn't know Opera sandboxes plugins these days. My Youtube tabs just showed a white exlamation mark in a light gray circle instead of the Youtube player.

Yeah, and at that 1.8 GB point, Opera was pretty unusable. Pages didn't load completely, there were random freezes and such. But hey, Opera survived, and I could restart my session without a hitch.

(Please make a 64-bit Opera, a forum on the internet)

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Mithaldu posted:

If you're using Opera 11 that's a performance issue of the new version. They'd pretty much nailed all leaks and such before that, but with the extensions they introduced new ones.

Nope. I assume it was 10.63. Anyway, it's not 11 or 10.70.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
I got a newfound interest in protecting my privacy after Firesheep was released. So I deleted all my cookies and set Opera to ask me about accepting new cookies. (I know the Firesheep attack is not against cookies themselves, but against cookies transimitted over unencrypted connections)

Anyway, I could deal with clicking "refuse" a few times after clicking a random Google result, but holy poo poo is it annoying to open a link (not to mention several) in the background, only to have it pop up in your face asking about some random ad server cookie.

The best of all is that the dialog also steals focus, and "accept" is the default choice, so as I'm writing this post, if a background tab contacts a new server and wants to know about its cookie, I'm probably going to accidentally accept it by pressing space.

I've disabled "Send Referrer Information" for years. Very few sites break because of it, and the rest can be fixed with site preferences.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Mithaldu posted:

Disabling referrer information does not increase your security or privacy in any meaningful way. You are only being a pain in the arse for webmasters that way.
Webmasters don't need to know what the hell I was googling when I ended up on their page.

And I can't even begin to guess how many servers my browser hits per day, but I'd imagine it's a big number. And I see maybe a couple sites per month that break (usually images won't load) because of disabled referrer logging.

I imagine I'm part of a really small minority with my referrer disabling, so I don't think most webmasters actually care about referrers. They probably could probably respond with a 403 to blank referrers, without affecting the browsing experience of >99.9% of their visitors.

quote:

Screening cookies does not increase your security or privacy on your own home network. Firesheep attacks only work if the attacker is on the same IP as you are, i.e. on the same wireless network.
Re Firesheep: I know.

Anyway: advertisers doen't need to know I visited a fetish site in February, then looked for jobs in June. Or Blogspot doesn't need to know I visited sickfetish.blogspot.com in February, then howtogetacooljob.blogspot.com in June.

And anyway, focus-stealing dialogs are lovely UI in any case.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Mithaldu posted:

Yes, because that's clearly the only thing we're interested in. :rolleyes:

So loving enforce referrer tracking and I will add an exception for your site.

If Opera had some option of "Do not send referrer across domains", I'd probably use that by default anyway.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Mithaldu posted:

Well, this kind of information is exactly what i am interested in. I develop tools useful for a small circle of people and it often helps me to see where they come from to my site, as that usually means the tools are talked about there and i can pick up criticisms or suggestions and even offer help more quickly.

Okay, so in case I'm in that small circle you have 1 less datapoint. Big deal.

quote:

At the end of the day you're just being really loving paranoid about poo poo that doesn't matter and worse: poo poo you don't even understand well.
:waycool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Anybody who took a look at the new plugin API can say if that might be possible?

No. Currently the API really doesn't expose any new functionality. You can make a button that sits on a toolbar, but otherwise the extension API only enables you to do things that user Javascript can do.

So you can modify web pages and send requests to remote servers and use local storage, but you cannot, for example, create hooks that intercept new requests and rewrite headers or modify the user's preferences.