Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Sure, I got a secret. More than one...
Is there anyway to disable whitelist adblocking for a specific page? I'm pretty sure fanboy's list is preventing me from opening my favorite last.fm radios

http://www.last.fm/listen/artist/Telefon%2BTel%2BAviv/similarartists

It used to block hulu ads for me. Hulu would hilariously give me a "lol nice try blocking ads" message and make me sit for 30 seconds.

NOT PAUL LAYTON posted:

I'm about to format my hard drive and upgrade to windows 7--how can I back up my personal settings and bookmarks and so forth?

Opera link is fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

and it was right there the entire time, thanks.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

thegreatcodfish posted:

I have an odd problem with Opera 10.51 on Windows 7 that I've never had before. Controls for video and music players are transparent, which makes them really hard to read unless I have a plain black window behind them. I am using the glass skin that makes everything use aero glass, so I figure that has something to do with it, but haven't heard anyone else complain about it. Anyone else seeing this and know of a fix? It's not unbearable, but can be annoying when the title of a song is part of the controls (such as Facebook's song player).

I get the same thing with the text on youtube controls

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

10.62 is up, as of the 9th. my autoupdate hasn't picked it up yet though.

http://my.opera.com/desktopteam/blog/

changelog: http://www.opera.com/docs/changelogs/windows/1062/

Opera posted:

Changes since Opera 10.61
User interface
Fixed
Selection jumps while backspacing in a rich text editor
Opera closing when searching on hotels.com
Not being able to click or select links or text
Opera freezing when leaving a canvas, audio, or JavaScript game
A missing plug-in dialog might cause Opera to close
Bodyless documents causing Opera to close in accessibility mode
Opera closing when downloading files in the link panel
Loading of streaming plug-ins in Opera Turbo
Display and scripting
Added
More MIME file types and suffixes for compressed tar files
Fixed
Fallback not displaying for Java types when plug-ins are disabled
Items disappearing from the cache
Mail, news, chat
Added
FastMail domains and hotmail.co.uk to the email auto-configuration
Fixed
Missing images in feed preview (media rss)
Security
Fixed
Fixed an issue where malicious DLL files could be unintentionally loaded and allowed to run arbitrary code; see our advisory.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

ufarn posted:

Two questions:

1) Where are my Opera bookmarks stored?

2) I have two Opera bookmark folders: one from the alpha/beta, and one from the final, stable version. How do I merge the two to keep both bookmarks?

I'm sad to say that I'm probably finally leaving Opera, because it keeps loving up my saved bookmarks, which is the most important browser feature for me. I just did a reinstall after a failed drive, and while I still retain access to my old bookmarks, I shudder at the thought of what would have happened if I didn't have a physical back-up of my bookmarks.

I used to love Opera, but their forums have never been of any help, and I don't feel the bookmark sync love. :smith:

shouldn't importing/merging bookmarks through the "manage bookmarks" panel be pretty straightforward? I've done it a thousand times before opera sync.

hell, opera sync manages to catch everything I throw at it even from opera mini on my android phone and two other machines that are currently synced. I have a lot of bookmarks too but I'm guessing yours is pretty crazy?

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

hobolooter posted:

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/dtbcz/hey_reddit_join_the_opera_browser_team_for_an

Opera is currently having a Q&A session on Reddit. If something has been pissing you off, vent now and let the engineers hear it!

They want to compete with the bullshit IE 9 Q&A session so hopefully we'll get some real feedback instead of sugar coated marketing.

god trying to read reddit just makes my brain hurt so much. hopefully someone can summarize...

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Lakitu7 posted:

Using the windows panel instead of the tab bar handles that use case quite well, on the UI end. It's not too uncommon for me to have ~50 open and I haven't had Mithaldu's problem, but 50 is still a lot less than 94.

I usually have 50 or so open between about 3 windows, and opera sometimes takes almost a full minute to pop up the "continue from last time" dialog.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Heresiarch posted:

Have you tried seeing how long other browsers take? This is an interesting benchmark.

yeah. chrome and firefox are very snappy on startup, I'm jealous. I don't really have any performance problems with opera ONCE its loaded, but good lord.

this is on a couple different systems (my laptop as well). will just sit there with no process % going on, and then after a while it finally loads.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Tikki posted:

Now that we're doing minimalist-screenshots, I might as well get on the bandwagon.

Here's mine:

Click here for the full 1280x800 image.

About the same as Mithaldu, but with a bit more "pretty".

that seems "less" minimalist than a stock windows install with the "windows bar" (mac bar?) up there.

quote:

I also do the same thing as Wheany, except I'm using Google Reader in a Fluid app.
Which reminds me: Recently, it no longer opens the new pages in the background, meaning I have to switch back to reader every time. Anyone know how to fix that?

I'm not familiar with fluid app but...middle click?

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Wheany posted:

I got a newfound interest in protecting my privacy after Firesheep was released.

I've been ignoring mostly because I don't really ever use public hotspots, but holy crap. I'm never not using a secure android-tether ever again.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Mithaldu posted:

Yes, because that's clearly the only thing we're interested in. :rolleyes:

maybe not, but some of my google recommendations have gotten downright creepy.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

this mouse gesture wheel has *got* to go.

fake edit: opera:config - gestures - show gesture UI

somethings still bugging me about tab stacking though, not sure what it is. its very weird scrolling through tabs that I can't actually see.

edit: what the hell did they do to gestures? I turned the setting all the way down and I'm having trouble hitting almost all of them now, especially D-R close tab

thrawn86 fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Nov 24, 2010

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

speaking of less memory, its using 655 megs right now for <10 tabs. combined with another instance of 10.63 that almost 1.5 gigs about 20 tabs tota.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Mithaldu posted:

I'm using 1.15 GB ram overall, with 500 in physical memory, on a 4GB machine. My tab bar looks like this:

Click here for the full 1920x52 image.

It may not use memory PERFECTLY well when you don't have a lot going on, but it scales ridiculously well when you go up. Plus: I can get it down to 32MB physical used just by minimizing the window.

Complaining about Opera's memory use is very misguided.

well gently caress me. I wasn't necessarily complaining since I have plenty of memory and it doesn't seem to affect my system. More just curious if that was normal. I actually tried 6 tabs in chrome, that got me up to about 300mb.

I remember I used to get upset about aim using 12mb of memory!

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

ok I give up. how do I install an extension?

https://addons.opera.com/addons/extensions/ is completely nonfunctional for me.

and the download link on
https://lastpass.com/misc_download.php

does nothing but give a couple seconds worth of an hourglass.

edit:system restart and it seems to be working. sheesh. still confused why the opera extensions site wouldn't even load.

thrawn86 fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Dec 19, 2010

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

^^this was after a brand new update only minutes before, seems like the restart fixed everything.

YggiDee posted:

Now that I've a new computer with Windows 7, I've been thinking of checking out my other browser options; can Opera have Adblock and vertical tabs? I feel naked without vertical tabs.

I haven't tried adblock on opera, but fanboys list with operas flash-on-demand enabled is pretty great.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Unparagoned posted:

The new gestures are really screwing with me. Have people worked out the idea sensitivity, should I set it high or low?

its still better than gestures in chrome :/

Which version of opera should I uninstall? my browser defaults have been hijacked by the old "opera 11 alpha" program, but in the add/remove programs menu both are simply labeled "opera 11". opera:about in both browsers lists opera 11 build 1156.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Lakitu7 posted:

I don't really know what to say besides "whichever one you're not using"? Look at whatever shortcut and see. If the point is that there's multiple in add/remove programs and you can't tell which corresponds to which, I'd just kill it manually.

well that was my point. under program files I have "opera 11" and "opera 11 alpha". Under add/remove programs I have "opera 11.00" and "opera 11.00". Just wanted to save the hassle of transferring over my sessions and everything. In the end I just picked one and got lucky.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

mouse gestures are fixed horray :)

anyone here use lastpass on opera? its either missing the 'copy password' functionality or I'm missing something.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

membranoid posted:

Is there a fix for Gmail yet? It loads or hangs completely randomly. Makes no drat sense.

its never performed as well in Opera as it does in chrome, but it seems to be working pretty well for me.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

Lastpass told me they're limited by opera's API and can't add any 'copy password' functionality. :(

Guess its back to Keepass/dropbox

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

why does ctrl+scrollwheel page resizing cause significant lag? I understand opera has to resize page elements in real time, but is resizing the page text by 20% on gizmodo *really* that much of a problem for my 3.6ghz dual core machine?

Lakitu7 posted:

It looks like they're really trying hard to improve page compatibility, and I'd love to start testing these builds, but I need my drat mouse panning. I don't care about anything on that list except for mouse panning. Why is it always the first thing to break. :(

:(

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

weird it seems to be pretty hit or miss. gizmodo was the best example because their new layout is pretty insane with the graphics.

11.01 b1190 here, and I adblock using fanboy + adblock+. I have windows set to resize text/etc to 125% but a lot of webpages are still tiny for me.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

gibbed posted:

If text size is really the only issue, you can set a minimum font size in Options under Fonts, this will break some site layouts but it's never bothered me too much. I've had mine set for a long time since some sites just love setting retardedly small font sizes for things.

for some reason this wont stick with some sites. e: nevermind

normally I'm all about super small font sizes, but I moved into a new place and currently have my monitor doing double duty as a tv, so i'm 3-4 feet away from a 22". Its not as bad as it sounds aside from lots of sites looking pretty comical with giant text.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

every time they say they've made it faster...they're not lying. Peacekeeper errored out on me though :(

"Could not find result for key 6DPs"

the newest glass skin is also very nice.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

WiredStnkyPusyLuvr posted:

However, 11.5 seems to have completely destroyed CTRL+F. Or maybe it's just me? Try searching for "month" in the last page of this thread. It'll completely ignore Wheany's post.

I'm not seeing this.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

did the "reuse current tab" option disappear somewhere along the line?

http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic167616.html

I'm actually going to go insane if I can't fix this.

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

updated and fixed^^

I swear I couldn't find it :iiam:

RoadCrewWorker posted:

I can confirm this for the 12 alpha as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn86
May 26, 2006

hardware acceleration seems great for me (i'm on an older gpu) but gmail and facebook are still jerky horrid messes :(