Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

All good suggestions here so far. Figs are good and trendy so that's probably the most on the mark. Quality pens are good. I like Uni-Ball Onyx Micro tip. If you want to make a little gift bag I would include: Pens, TicTacs, 2 Penlights / mini flashlight, badge clip, sanitizer on clips, personalized stethoscope tag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamais Vu Again
Sep 16, 2012

zebras can have spots too

Tainen posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a piece of equipment or tool that you guys use for your job that would make a good graduation gift for a new nurse?

I have a friend who is about to graduate that found out halfway through the prior quarter that she has breast cancer and has been going through her classes and clinicals while receiving chemo and juggling almost daily medical appointments. It’s been incredibly difficult for her and she deserves something nice for her perseverance.

Jesus. As a nurse and breast cancer survivor, my hat is off to her. I gleefully fled from work for a year.

If she’s concerned about passing NCLEX, I have no advice. I hear UWorld is good.

Shoes are so personal, I wouldn’t gift them directly - but a gift card for shoes could be nice. Cute compression socks are great - when I worked somewhere with a uniform it was the way I could express myself. I like ProCompression, they always have a “buy 2, get 3 free promo” so don’t fear the price. A very sturdy 1L water bottle - not too heavy, holds enough water to minimize refill trips when you’re busy. Best advice an ER nurse ever gave me was “whenever you have a free second, go pee and then drink some water.” Badge reels, cute or sarcastic. One of the preceptors on my first unit wrote this book for new grads: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0998111422/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_NA0NBB4XC8WM1JDH8M4V

My other recommendations depend on which department her first job will be in.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

I recently learned that I'm going to be starting the nursing program of my dreams this fall! Woohoo!

Anybody have shoe recommendations? I'm a dude fwiw.
I rotate through all sorts of random stuff in my current hospital job, but I need better shoes as I'm sure I'll be on my feet more in clinicals/work eventually.
We have really dumb color rules--it has to be all black or all-white, like literally even a black swoosh on an otherwise all-white Nike would be disqualifying--but otherwise it can be a sneaker, walking shoe, whatever (as long as it has a closed heel, which I am all about anyway). I'm honestly considering Danskos for the irony, but otherwise not really decided towards any particular type/style.

Oh, and is there a secret nursing goon Discord or something? I tried to look around this thread but it was started in 2008 and the OP hasn't been updated since then lol.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Teketeketeketeke posted:

I recently learned that I'm going to be starting the nursing program of my dreams this fall! Woohoo!

I rotate through all sorts of random stuff in my current hospital job, but I need better shoes as I'm sure I'll be on my feet more in clinicals/work eventually.
We have really dumb color rules--it has to be all black or all-white, like literally even a black swoosh on an otherwise all-white Nike would be disqualifying--but otherwise it can be a sneaker, walking shoe, whatever (as long as it has a closed heel, which I am all about anyway). I'm honestly considering Danskos for the irony, but otherwise not really decided towards any particular type/style.

Oh, and is there a secret nursing goon Discord or something? I tried to look around this thread but it was started in 2008 and the OP hasn't been updated since then lol.

Congrats on starting! For shoes, wear whatever is most comfortable, style be damned. You might be able to find some all-white New Balance walking shoes, which I rocked during clinicals and my patient tech job.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider
We should probably make a goon nurse discord.

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?

Teketeketeketeke posted:

I'm wearing these for nursing school and they've been fine. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RBA7PB4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Leather K-Swiss are my choice of shoe.

I would Discord

Jamais Vu Again
Sep 16, 2012

I fell for the hype and bought some Balas. They’re fine, but nothing like the GOAT people act like. They do have an all black option though.

Danskos have tried to murder me several times. The height of the heel just means my ankle rolls extra far, and I could not deal with the hard soles. I like Alegrias, it’s like a little cloud to walk on that you can replace for $20.

I am icked out by porous shoes in patient care environments. No body fluids in my socks, please.

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans
I wear crocs to work. They're super comfy, easy to clean, vegan-friendly, and affordable

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
checked the op but didn't see anything: hit me with your recommendations for nclex test prep. Free materials preferred (study guides, youtube lectures, etc) but I'm open to anything. bout to take the spoopiest test ever

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

OMGVBFLOL posted:

checked the op but didn't see anything: hit me with your recommendations for nclex test prep. Free materials preferred (study guides, youtube lectures, etc) but I'm open to anything. bout to take the spoopiest test ever

I can’t help with free materials but am a huge fan of uWorld. Buy the package with 2 practice tests and just use that. It really teaches you how to take the NCLEX specifically and if you miss questions does a really good job of explaining the rationale. It was the only resource I used and I passed in the minimum amount of questions.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

I went to my school library and used their saunders practice texts bc I didn't want to spend money.

Jamais Vu Again
Sep 16, 2012

If you graduate and you’re afraid you won’t pass nclex, you are not true gooRN. Think of all the dumb, dangerous, terrifying and incompetent nurses you have seen in clinicals; they all passed boards.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

Jamais Vu Again posted:

If you graduate and you’re afraid you won’t pass nclex, you are not true gooRN. Think of all the dumb, dangerous, terrifying and incompetent nurses you have seen in clinicals; they all passed boards.

It’s true but the thought of “I have to wait 90 days or whatever” if you fail is fairly anxiety inducing

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
i'm not particularly worried, but i figure studying is a good thing to do

thanks yall!

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

hobbez posted:

It’s true but the thought of “I have to wait 90 days or whatever” if you fail is fairly anxiety inducing

I’m pretty sure the registration trick still works. Once you are done with the exam, try to register to take it again, if it lets you = you failed, if it doesn’t let you = you passed.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Anyone ITT worked for the VA? Mostly looking for insights on organizational culture, long term career potential, etc. Asking for a friend.

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans
I'm taking a nursing informatics class and we have a paper to write but I'm blanking on topics and was hoping someone might be able to suggest something related to Health Informatics Technology?

Examples of topics are Barcode Medication Administration (BCMA), Smart IV Pumps, EHR/EMR, Telehealth, smart watches, etc. If I can't think of anything else I'll probably write about smart watches or other wearables

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Talk about how smart iv pumps are the devil.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Lovelyn posted:

I'm taking a nursing informatics class and we have a paper to write but I'm blanking on topics and was hoping someone might be able to suggest something related to Health Informatics Technology?

Examples of topics are Barcode Medication Administration (BCMA), Smart IV Pumps, EHR/EMR, Telehealth, smart watches, etc. If I can't think of anything else I'll probably write about smart watches or other wearables

Those are all pretty solid informatics topics. Could probably throw alert fatigue on there.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Our hospital piloted a tele ICU where us CVICU nurses oversaw a general ICU in a smaller hospital via cameras, chat, phone, etc. Overall the concept was good but in real life it sucked. If tele ICU is a topic that you’re interested in I can write more about my experience being a tele ICU nurse.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Koivunen posted:

Our hospital piloted a tele ICU where us CVICU nurses oversaw a general ICU in a smaller hospital via cameras, chat, phone, etc. Overall the concept was good but in real life it sucked. If tele ICU is a topic that you’re interested in I can write more about my experience being a tele ICU nurse.

I'd be interested in hearing more about the realities of ICU tele nursing.

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans

Koivunen posted:

Would love to hear about this!

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

Lovelyn posted:

Would love to hear about this!

The idea started, and our hospital got a grant, when covid started getting bad. Where I live, our hospital services a huge area, and many smaller hospitals will send their really sick people to our ICUs. However, because we were at maximum capacity, the thought was that if we had a tele ICU, the smaller hospitals could hold on to the sicker patients instead of transferring them to us. We would staff the tele icu with CVICU nurses who would monitor all the ICU patients in the other hospital, and guide and be a resource for the nurses who weren’t used to dealing with really sick patients. There was also a critical care physician from our hospital that was available for consult, but only from the doctors at the other hospital, and it had to be a formal consult, not just a phone call for advice. So, basically all of the work was done by whatever CVICU nurse was staffed, I think there were only ever a handful of formal consults.

The grant gave the small hospital cameras for each room that were actually pretty sweet, as the tele ICU nurse you could zoom way in, far enough to see the ball on the oxygen meter if you wanted to. The pumps, monitors, vents, IV bags, etc, were supposed to be turned towards the camera so we could see everything that was going on, and we would also monitor things like vitals, labs, intake and output… There were five huge monitors where we could watch all the patients, pull up a specific room, access the chart, and another monitor for everyone’s vitals. We had a special flow sheet created in epic for the tele ICU nurse to chart in, basically saying how the patient course was going and if we were intervening at all.

Initially it was useful a few times for helping them prone, as the hospital had never proned anyone since usually they would ship them to us. Vent management for ARDS and helping talk through a code and debrief was also beneficial, but these kinds of things were few and far between. We could talk to the staff through the camera in the room, call them, or send them a chat via epic.

A typical shift in the tele ICU was boring AF. The nurses at the other hospital weren’t thrilled that nurses from the bigger hospital could be telling them what to do. Some of the nurses straight up refused to cooperate with the tele ICU nurses. So usually, the tele ICU nurse would keep an eye on things in general, but there was not a lot of advice to be given or interventions to be done. Besides charge report, there could be an entire day without talking to anyone. Sometimes there would only be a couple patients in their ICU that weren’t that sick, and then there was absolutely nothing to do.

I once spent a night watching a patient go down the tubes because they were over sedated and on a nasal cannula, and my suggestions were ignored. For example I suggested an ABG when the person was basically agonal breathing and the nurse there didn’t think there was justification for putting them on a bipap, and the nurse literally said “no.” I spent another night watching two alert and oriented and stable patients sleep.

Which led to us complaining to our managers, and them to theirs, and it basically turned into this black hole that sucked away CVICU nurses from the bedside so they could staff the tele ICU. It’s not like we wanted to work in there, it was mind numbingly boring. Just watching other nurses do their jobs, maybe send a message asking to turn the vent towards the camera or something… The super sick patients they were expecting to keep there didn’t really happen, and once they got a feel for proning and managing ARDS they didn’t really need our guidance any more. I mean, they are still ICU nurses, even if they don’t get super sick people all the time.

We had to keep the tele ICU running for a specific amount of time or else the grant would be lost, so it went on forever.

If you have any specific questions let me know. I have Opinions about tele ICU and tele medicine in general (it’s bad), that I can go into more detail about if you’d like.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I’m in tele-triage now and it’s cool and good 👍

What you are talking about sounds shite. I’d be ok if I could telehealth with my offsite intensivist when I did ICU though. Texts and phone calls were always annoying when poo poo was spiraling and the hospitalist was a goon.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider

Koivunen posted:

suck my dick

i fuckin hate the virtual icu being implemented at my hospital and actively turn people hostile towards it so sorry about this misplaced anger

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

Roki B posted:

suck my dick

i fuckin hate the virtual icu being implemented at my hospital and actively turn people hostile towards it so sorry about this misplaced anger

I also hate tele ICU so we are in the same boat! So did everyone else that I work with.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
Has anyone here done an online MSN?

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

boquiabierta posted:

Has anyone here done an online MSN?

I’m starting one in a month! I’ve taken a lot of online courses in general historically

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans

Koivunen posted:

If you have any specific questions let me know. I have Opinions about tele ICU and tele medicine in general (it’s bad), that I can go into more detail about if you’d like.

Holy poo poo. I work in a Covid ICU right now and I can't imagine the system you described helping critically ill patients. I don't have any questions yet because I am literally FLOORED!

Okay I lied, I do have a question: when you asked the other nurses to do something and they straight up said no, what did you do? Document and move on? Escalate to charge? Cry?

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

Lovelyn posted:

Holy poo poo. I work in a Covid ICU right now and I can't imagine the system you described helping critically ill patients. I don't have any questions yet because I am literally FLOORED!

Okay I lied, I do have a question: when you asked the other nurses to do something and they straight up said no, what did you do? Document and move on? Escalate to charge? Cry?

I sighed heavily, documented my recommendations and the nurse’s response, and continued to watch the patient tank. I also gave a heads up to their charge nurse that the patient needed some kind of respiratory intervention but they never responded. Lo and behold when I came back the next night they were intubated.

Tele medicine, WHEN DONE CAREFULLY AND ONLY FOR VERY SPECIFIC, MINOR THINGS, can be great. Like if someone lives in the middle of nowhere and just needs a follow up for a medication refill, that can totally be done virtually, and save them the trip. Or if someone is receiving talk therapy and doesn’t mind virtual interaction, that can be great too. But actually being able to look listen and feel a patient is invaluable, and will never be able to be done virtually. Especially in critical conditions, tele medicine is a recipe for disaster, because if management thinks it’s successful, it’s more reason to staff fewer bedside nurses.

Idk if your hospital has tele sitters, a camera that goes in a patient’s room who needs a sitter, and then a CNA in a different part of the hospital watches up to ten cameras at a time and uses a vocera to tell the nurse “so and so is crawling out of bed” or whatever. The tele sitters can try to talk through the camera to the patient but 99% of the time that doesn’t work. You can imagine all the problems tele sitting causes. If a person needs a sitter, they need someone physically in the room.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Not kept up with the thread for a while, but are there any UK advanced practitioners in here? I'm about to start as Trainee ANP in my trust and I'm looking for pointers for the Advanced Practice MSc?
I've bought the Oxford handbook of my specialty so far

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
I'm doing it. I'm starting nursing school in 16 days. Unfortunately, none of the schools around me have a bridge from medic to RN, so I get to do it all from scratch. Please accept me as one of you even though I've been a medic close to a decade :ohdear:

On one of my orientation days I overheard a guy sitting in front of me, flirting with the girl next to him, and at one point, bragging how good of a nurse he was (LPN bridging to RN), and how the best fields for nursing are, and I quote: "psych and corrections. hands down. two best fields of nursing to go into." My man is either a master troll or an idiot. Haven't quite figured out which yet.

I'm quite excited to see what kind of hijinks this clown is going to get into, because if orientation day was any indicator, he's in for a long 16 months.

Jamais Vu Again
Sep 16, 2012

Zipperelli. posted:

I'm doing it. I'm starting nursing school in 16 days. Unfortunately, none of the schools around me have a bridge from medic to RN, so I get to do it all from scratch. Please accept me as one of you even though I've been a medic close to a decade :ohdear:

On one of my orientation days I overheard a guy sitting in front of me, flirting with the girl next to him, and at one point, bragging how good of a nurse he was (LPN bridging to RN), and how the best fields for nursing are, and I quote: "psych and corrections. hands down. two best fields of nursing to go into." My man is either a master troll or an idiot. Haven't quite figured out which yet.

I'm quite excited to see what kind of hijinks this clown is going to get into, because if orientation day was any indicator, he's in for a long 16 months.

Don’t act like you know everything because of your medic background. Remain humble in what you don’t know - prehospital management can be wildly different than in hospital. Also, no one enjoys cleaning poo, but you are never too good to clean up a human being lying in their poo poo/piss/vomit/pus purulent drainage.

Worked with a(n Excelsior College) medic->RN who went into my cvicu as a new grad (I moved in after a year of cardiac step down) and he was both cocky and an idiot. Complained about how complex the NIH stroke scale was in comparison to the Cincinnati scale. Multiple times had to be physically stopped from slamming an amp of epi or calcium on an unstable heart. Multiple times. (He moved to medical ICU, I got the CV spot)

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Zipperelli. posted:

Ummm psych owns

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

to human behaviour

hobbez posted:

Ummm psych owns

Yeah, if you like psych or corrections, you can make a huge difference in countless people’s lives. Some of the most compassionate people I’ve met are psych nurses.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Jamais Vu Again posted:

Worked with a(n Excelsior College) medic->RN who went into my cvicu as a new grad (I moved in after a year of cardiac step down) and he was both cocky and an idiot. Complained about how complex the NIH stroke scale was in comparison to the Cincinnati scale. Multiple times had to be physically stopped from slamming an amp of epi or calcium on an unstable heart. Multiple times. (He moved to medical ICU, I got the CV spot)

:stare: Jesus Christ, but why was he such a clown? He went through school, did he just surf on his "I'm a medic" ego? Because if so, lmao

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans
Did anyone get their preceptor gifts at the end of residency/training? I'm trying to brainstorm - I'm thinking gift card for food or water bottle or something but I'm terrible at gift-giving and don't really know their personal taste super well (aside from one of them loving textured water bottles)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
Yeah, I got one of my preceptors a box of mixed teas because she was really into tea. The other one I had no idea what to get so I just got her a box of chocolates.