Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thora
Aug 21, 2006

Look on my Posts, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away
Thanks for making this thread OP.

I got into nursing as a second career and it was the best decision I've ever made.

I used to be the worlds biggest needlephobe and the thought of someone else's blood/poop/whatever on my dainty delicate flower of a self made me queasy. Nursing was not for me - until I spent 5+ years in a hospital doing a job (IT) I hated (actually I liked the job, it was the people I worked with that made it suck) and realized that maybe I could work on the medical side after all.

Part of the appeal of nursing is that the possibilities for jobs are almost endless. Home health care, palliative care, case management, psychiatry, dialysis, ER, OB/pedes, geriatric, ICU/CCU, general medicine, nurse practitioner (general, psych, OB/pedes), CRNA, surgery, pre-op, post-op (I'm leaving so many out...) and my personal 'gee, that'd be awesome to try someday' - working abroad as a civilian in the military.

If you enter into nursing as a second career, you can use skills from your first career. There is a LOT of teaching that goes on in nursing - patients, staff, and students. Social work skills are great for case management. I know of nurses that are back in the IT field assisting developing software for hospitals. No education is ever wasted.

It's going to take at least 2 years before you are considered for acceptance into a program. If you are on the fence about it, find out what the prereqs are for the nursing program you are interested in and work those into your class schedule. If you want a more hands-on approach, get certified as a CNA. And if it turns out it's not what you're looking for, what's the worst thing that can happen? You now know it's not for you, you have a few college credits filled, and you now have funny/gross stories* to tell at parties**.

*Thanksgiving dinner conversation with three nurses and a paramedic present is not for the faint of heart. Luckily, the parents and in-laws are used to it by now. The sister in law? Not so much. Heh.

**Provided you keep confidentiality, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU