Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Director: Gus Van Sant
Starring: Sean Penn, Josh Brolin, Emile Hirsch, and James Franco (among others including that gay dude from High School Musical)

IMDB

Straight dude here but Milk was pretty gay and pretty great

Gus Van Sant basically solidified his title as one of the great directors with Milk despite declining after Finding Forrester and Good Will Hunting.

You already know the story (if you don't Wikipedia Harvey Milk, the 70's champion of gay rights in California) but the way that Van Sant portrays it sets apart Milk from similar fare.

This perfectly cast film uses an excellent blend of time-period shots and new footage to envelop you in the story but also give you perspective on what was occurring at the time. The film is not only inspirational to gay rights supporters but to everyone who has a dream as it portrays Milk as one man fighting for what he believes in and doing it well. Once you get past the initial super gayness (which hits you like a brick with Penn and Franco hooking up 5 minutes in) you never really feel uncomfortable when watching the movie and it truly is moving.

Penn is the perfect Milk and everyone else just feels right for their roles (except the mexican hes loving annoying and my only true gripe with the movie) Brolin is the best conservative douche in years and the movie just feels right, everything is well executed.

This is this fall/winters must watch film for me (note: I havent seen "Let The Right One In" yet and thats supposed to be loving awesome too so I may disagree with this later)

i'd give it like 4.5/5

straight up brolic fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Nov 28, 2008

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona
Great, great film. First of all Penn is amazing as Harvey Milk and should get best actor for this. Josh Brolin was also the perfect choice to play Dan White.

Milk is an amazing period piece that alternates between being funny, inspirational and incredibly depressing. The only gripe I had was (as mentioned before) Harvey's Latino boyfriend who was incredibly grating (although his later scenes were great). This film is also very interesting to watch given today's political climate, namely the parallels drawn between the battle over gay marriage. All in all, this is a fantastic movie that is easily one of the year's best. Gus Van Sant once again proves himself one of the best directors in the game. Word of warning though- don't see this if you're freaked out by major amounts of manlove.

5/5

Red Pyramid
Apr 29, 2008
This is probably my favorite Gus Van Sant movie to date, and one of the best of the year. As a period piece it's astounding, to the point that it goes far beyond plot and art design - I felt like I was actually watching a film shot in the seventies, the feeling of the decade permeates it so completely. It was also very moving - moreso than I was prepared for, and not just for the political issues it represents. From the moment they're on screen together, Sean Penn and James Franco have really one of the most real, heartfelt relationships I've seen onscreen in a while. They have incredible chemistry and by the end of the film I was rooting as much for them as I was for Milk's cause.

The cast is great throughout. Sean Penn deserves a best actor win, no doubt about it. Brolin surprised me, too. I didn't see him as much as a "conservative douche" character as a genuinely disturbed, kindof pathetic creature, and I found it hard not to feel for him - even if he was something of a snake. The scene where he comes to Milk's birthday party wasted is a great moment, and to me kindof embodied what he was all about.

5/5

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
I enjoyed it and thought Penn did a great job. Honestly though, coming from a hetero male who has no problems with homosexual men at all, the man-on-man scenes were a bit much for me. There's no outright sex scenes, but it was getting really close to "hey we're making out, deal with it!" type stuff. The story was great, just like the casting. I just thought some of the scenes were just too in your face with no real value added to the movie.

4/5

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Milk

Look at the acting done in this film and you will need no further proof that this is a serious contender for Best Movie and certainly a must see. Sean Penn becomes Harvey Milk, embodies his mannerisms, and becomes his character (if you think he was over the top, look up the real Harvey Milk). James Franco does well with his brooding character, showing that playing stoner isn't the only thing he can do. Unfortunately, his character simply isn't featured enough in the middle of the movie. Emile Hirsch plays his part wonderfully becoming exactly what the script called for, a quick-witted and deeply inspired protege of Harvey. Josh Brolin and his character Dan White bring a lot to this movie. The script could have easily taken this man and ripped him apart. Instead it (with the help of Brolin) gave us a far more complected and sorrowful character who becomes the epitome of wasted potential and total mystery.

The plot moves swiftly through the rise of Harvey Milk as narrated by Penn. It's a roller-coaster ride through the triumphs and defeats of the homosexual movement. Wonderfully paced, the film never slurs, never sputters, and is constantly feeding of it's viewers emotions.

A very smart element of the film was the revealing of the outcome at the beginning of it via a real life new reel clip. By telling us what happens (in case you didn't already know), you become far more emotionally involved throughout. It's most powerful moment however is Penn's speech at the end, with Harvey Milk's famous quote "If a bullet should enter my brain, let the bullet destroy every closet door."

The movie is a glorious example of what bio-pics should be. Inspiring and well played without the cheesiness and excessive gratification that many bio-pics are plagued by. Milk is incredibly inspiring, wonderfully poignant, and devastatingly relevant.

5/5

EllisD
Mar 14, 2004

WHAT IS THIS BULLSHIT!?
You don't have to be GLBT to have interest in this movie. I want to say that first because obviously not enough people are seeing this AMAZING movie. Only 2 reviews :(

Unfortunately I watched this in the Castro Theater since I work on the same block. I'd definitely see the movie again but I would never see it there and I don't recommend you see it there either. As if the movie wasn't emotional enough for me it didn't help that everyone in the theater was practically in tears the whole movie. It sucked because 3/4 of the crowd was over 50 and present in SF since the 70s so you know it had a very deep impact on their lives. One of the most depressing moments of my life.

Obviously all the actors and actresses did an amazing job, I don't have one single gripe towards the movie. I wouldn't change a thing. Sean Penn deserves a hundred awards for this movie, for both his bravery, tenacity, and genius. I knew he would do a great job but I was literally taken aback with his perfect performance. I wasn't alive to ever see Harvey Milk but I've seen enough videos and historical evidence to know he did an absolutely brilliant job.

I was worried about how limited this movie's exposure would be and the public opinion. After it had been playing in San Francisco for a month my mother told me only 1 theater in all of Colorado was showing it.

When you see this movie please don't think it a blanket biography about Harvey Milk. It is a lot more than that. I also recommend anyone to visit the Harvey Milk Museum in SF's Castro District @ 18th & Castro if you're into the history of it all.

5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SylvainMustach
Dec 12, 2007

Superior Trash Talk!
It felt good to finally see this after putting up with the Watchmen (which left me greatly disappointed). I know many people have problems with the direction of Gus Van Zant. Even down to his more inaccessible stuff (Like Gus or Elephant]), I always like his work. Milk was as brilliant as I could've hoped. It's a deserving true-story which is often forgotten about when discussing the civil rights movements. The acting was pitch perfect. For anyone who wants to see just how uncanny Sean Pean's performance is, I recommend the documentary The Life and Times Of Harvey Milk. The movie remains, especially for a Van Zant one, perfectly accessible, while not too inoffensive. True, if one has issues with man-on-man love, it may be a bit trying. That in mind, it remains the only true weakness. It shows the heart of the characters honestly as well, especially, if not more so, when examining the romantic life of Harvey Milk himself. It's beautifully filmed with minimal color correction and a very appropriate Soundtrack from a composer that I've gotten quite sick of (Danny Elfman).

In all, I couldn't recommend this movie more.
5/5