Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
I would prefer to be at around $1K, but that is totally arbitrary and can go up quite a bit if that is where the value lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

vs Dinosaurs posted:

I would prefer to be at around $1K, but that is totally arbitrary and can go up quite a bit if that is where the value lives.

I’m in Portland as well and have a beautiful vintage harman/kardon citation preamplifier in a wood cabinet that’s a perfect match for MCM, and depending on your color scheme have attractive powered speaker options. Way under $1000 total and excellent performance.

Not sure if I can hock stuff here, but figured since it’s local it’s maybe ok plus I’d like to see this stuff go to a loving home.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

vs Dinosaurs posted:

I mean it’s really up to you. The Denton 80s are wonderful speakers but the Lintons at $1800 a pair with the matching stands (get them with the stands), $1500 without, are gonna be way more speaker.

If you’re trying to fill a house that may be important to you.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009

RIP Paul Walker posted:

I’m in Portland as well and have a beautiful vintage harman/kardon citation preamplifier in a wood cabinet that’s a perfect match for MCM, and depending on your color scheme have attractive powered speaker options. Way under $1000 total and excellent performance.

Not sure if I can hock stuff here, but figured since it’s local it’s maybe ok plus I’d like to see this stuff go to a loving home.

I am interested - email me at [edit].

vs Dinosaurs fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Mar 21, 2022

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I have a really old power amp, an Acoustech 1A, that I would like to connect to my new preamp, a Schiit Freya+. The Acoustech has single TS connections for each channel, and the Freya has dual red/white RCAs. I have no idea how to reconcile these:

I have some TS to RCA cables, but they're all TS pairs to RCA pairs. I'm mystified by how I should be wiring these up. Do I just leave one of the RCAs on the Freya disconnected?

[edit] I'm dumb, there's two sets of SE outs for multiple power amps. I answered my own question.

ephori fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Apr 16, 2022

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
Moved some things around and the sun is finally out, still pretty impressed by the little Rel T zero mini “sub” as it fleshes out the 40-80Hz range where the bookshelves sort of fall on their face since they don’t have a ton of power pushing them.

Also yes we made the dogs custom beds with bedside tables.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

DoesNotCompute posted:

Also yes we made the dogs custom beds with bedside tables.
Well that's just the cutest thing.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
What are folks using to clean vinyl? A kit of sorts would be ideal. OP does not mention anything.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

vs Dinosaurs posted:

What are folks using to clean vinyl? A kit of sorts would be ideal. OP does not mention anything.

What’s your budget?

And are you trying to clean grimy thrift store records or just get some dust off of pretty clean wax

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

vs Dinosaurs posted:

I like hand washing with mild dish soap and warm water for most age-accumulated grime, just make sure not to soak the label

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Carbon fibre brush every use for dust. Spray bottle with pure rubbing alcohol, distilled water and a drop of dish soap applied in circles with a microfiber cloth for dirty records, is what i use.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009

BigFactory posted:

What’s your budget?

And are you trying to clean grimy thrift store records or just get some dust off of pretty clean wax

Ideally under $20. Mostly clean records, stuff from family and from discogs.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

vs Dinosaurs posted:

Ideally under $20. Mostly clean records, stuff from family and from discogs.

Then like large hands said, carbon fiber brush. You might be able to find one in a bundle that has a little pot of stylus cleaner gel, which can be nice to have too.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

vs Dinosaurs posted:

It depends on your budget. The cheapest decent option is a Spin-Clean which will run you around 80 bucks or so for a kit. It works well enough but if you have very filthy records it can only do so much.

The next option up would be a Record Doctor which will run you around 300 bucks or so for just the device. It is a vacuum device. You attach your record, clean it with a brush/cleaning liquid and use the vacuum to suck the liquid/dirt away.

The last and best option is a ultrasonic cleaner. There are a couple of options from the relatively inexpensive HumminGuru which runs about $400 to the frankly insane Degritter which will cost you an arm and a leg $3000. They are very slick, effectively you place your record in the machine and it cleans the vinyl using ultrasonic waves.

Using any of these you will need to use distilled water and likely a surfactant. Most people like to use Ilfotol and/or Tergitol, which is very inexpensive and will last you a long time as you are only adding a few drops per liter of water. What the surfactant does is lowers the surface tension of the water and allows it to reach deeper into the grooves of the vinyl. The difference between using it and not is night and day.

My advice is to buy an ultrasonic cleaner as it does the best job and it is the least labor intensive of the options out there. My advice would to shy away from cleaning brushes and whatnot as outside of some very obvious surface filth doesn't do a ton. Also it can damage dirty vinyl. Also NEVER use alcohol on vinyl as it can damage it.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Djarum posted:

Also NEVER use alcohol on vinyl as it can damage it.

That’s not true

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

BigFactory posted:

That’s not true

There has been some tests and depending on the vinyl mixture it can effect the vinyl. The only safe-ish way to use it is heavily diluted in which it is effectively working as a poor surfactant in which you are better just buying a good surfactant. It doesn't make any sense to potentially damage your records when there are better options readily available that are known to be completely safe.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Djarum posted:

There has been some tests and depending on the vinyl mixture it can effect the vinyl. The only safe-ish way to use it is heavily diluted in which it is effectively working as a poor surfactant in which you are better just buying a good surfactant. It doesn't make any sense to potentially damage your records when there are better options readily available that are known to be completely safe.

Most commercial cleaners are like 10% isopropyl alcohol. Is that what you’re calling heavy dilution?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

BigFactory posted:

Most commercial cleaners are like 10% isopropyl alcohol. Is that what you’re calling heavy dilution?

If they have IPA it is closer to somewhere between 3-7%. A lot of the IPA content is from the other additives are in the IPA before it is mixed with water.

Though why would you use something pre-made when you can get a bottle of Tergitol for :10bux: and be able to make 30-45 GALLONS of cleaner for the cost of distilled water from basically anywhere?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Dude said his budget was around $20 and your advice is to spend $400+ on an ultrasonic cleaner :lol:

Grab a velvet brush (should come with some cleaning liquid) for wet cleaning and a carbon fiber brush for dry brushing and call it good. Or if you want to save money, just get the carbon fiber brush and use a microfiber cloth for wet cleaning.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

wa27 posted:

Dude said his budget was around $20 and your advice is to spend $400+ on an ultrasonic cleaner :lol:

Grab a velvet brush (should come with some cleaning liquid) for wet cleaning and a carbon fiber brush for dry brushing and call it good. Or if you want to save money, just get the carbon fiber brush and use a microfiber cloth for wet cleaning.

He said what his budget was after I had started writing the post. I have spent a lot of time researching the subject in the last year and as the OP said there isn’t any info about it. Most people into vinyl enough that they are looking into cleaning spend well over $400 a year on records and other things concerning it. A one time investment in buying something that is going to do its job perfectly, safely and for a very long time isn’t a bad idea. Especially considering as dirty as a long of new vinyl is out of the factory it is as big of an upgrade sonically as a new stylus.

To each their own. If what you do works for you by all means no one is stopping you. If you only got a 100 buck turntable and a dozen or so records there isn’t much of a need to do much. But for those looking for the information I provided it. God forbid we shoot the messenger trying to help.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Djarum posted:

If they have IPA it is closer to somewhere between 3-7%. A lot of the IPA content is from the other additives are in the IPA before it is mixed with water.

Though why would you use something pre-made when you can get a bottle of Tergitol for :10bux: and be able to make 30-45 GALLONS of cleaner for the cost of distilled water from basically anywhere?

Why buy tergitol when you could buy something you can drink on a Friday night?

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

BigFactory posted:

Why buy tergitol when you could buy something you can drink on a Friday night?

Been hanging out with the Bleach Boys in a world where ministers murder golf pros?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Djarum posted:

Been hanging out with the Bleach Boys in a world where ministers murder golf pros?

When the ice cube floats in the middle you’re good to go

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

For a basic kit this Hudson Hifi one is $26.50 and is a pretty good deal compared to buying it all separately.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YRW67LW/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_ZARH7J5P9SA3XHF9DR8D?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

For really nasty records I use a knockoff dishwasher. Mine is a Knox branded one but all of the clones seem to be the same with different branding. It works well but is a pretty tedious process so I only break it out when I'm going to clean a bunch of records that are worth the effort.

If you poke around the various brands you can find them open box for as low as $40.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VQN5XML/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_2JTJC39NV30DFCH52YZ2

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
I just use a spin clean and a carbon fiber brush, with a custom cleaning solution, and it works great

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Hey y'all, seeking advice. I just bought a set of incredible 78 speed records from 1941 and I'm feeling the need to hear them. So I just remembered I bought a BSR McDonald 6500 ex from Goodwill with a mind to maybe trying it. Should I? Here's a couple pics. If anybody can tell me anything about the needle/cart I'd love to hear it. Pics:

Should I aim higher here?

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
You're very likely going to need a different stylus on the cartridge to play the 78. And the tracking force probably needs to be readjusted too. Check the internet for the old user manuals for your turntable and see if the manufacturer has direct guidance on what needs to be done for that model. You may also be better served by buying one of the inexpensive cartridges that already is set up for 78's out of the box and switch between them. If you use a regular/conventional stylus, you'll damage the 78's, And possibly the stylus too.

Discernibly Turgid
Mar 30, 2010

This was not the improvement I was asking for!
I won’t get too far into it (mildly drunk off 15% beer,) but you’ll need a cartridge that accommodates a steel stylus (Pfanstiehl N-101 or the like.) A diamond stylus will shred vinyl.

If that table is factory geared for 78 RPM, fit it with an appropriate (and inexpensive) cartridge/steel stylus combo and let that be its job. Trying to convert a unit back and forth between 78s and LPs will result in lovely sound for both and you’ll wear them both out in an incredible hurry.

The BSR is a great candidate for 78 duty, not far off a Benjamin Miracord or the like. What the playback ultimately lacks in fidelity it’ll make up for in you-are-there immediacy and should be a blast to listen to.

Great find

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Discernibly Turgid posted:

I won’t get too far into it (mildly drunk off 15% beer,) but you’ll need a cartridge that accommodates a steel stylus (Pfanstiehl N-101 or the like.) A diamond stylus will shred vinyl.

If that table is factory geared for 78 RPM, fit it with an appropriate (and inexpensive) cartridge/steel stylus combo and let that be its job. Trying to convert a unit back and forth between 78s and LPs will result in lovely sound for both and you’ll wear them both out in an incredible hurry.

The BSR is a great candidate for 78 duty, not far off a Benjamin Miracord or the like. What the playback ultimately lacks in fidelity it’ll make up for in you-are-there immediacy and should be a blast to listen to.

Great find

Cool, thanks for the infos!

Here is the original cart, it has a needle that you apparently can flip? Not sure but the replacements I'm seeing go for pretty cheap. But you think I need to replace the cart outright I guess?

And yes, the BSR would be my 78 player. I've just powered it up for the first time, it appears to work. 78 RPM is pretty fricking fast.

ED: I forgot the pic of the cart, pls stand by

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Sorry about that. So I'm taking your word for it I need a steel needle, and that I can't work with this cart.

ED: oh boy that's dirty. I just flipped it so this side has probably been up inside the shell for 40 years and that's the crap that's accumulated there. I dunno, I just got it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

petit choux posted:

Sorry about that. So I'm taking your word for it I need a steel needle, and that I can't work with this cart.

ED: oh boy that's dirty. I just flipped it so this side has probably been up inside the shell for 40 years and that's the crap that's accumulated there. I dunno, I just got it.

Audio Technica has a 78RPM cartridge in their VR95 line:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_057VM95SP/Audio-Technica-AT-VM95SP.html

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_057VM95SPH/Audio-Technica-AT-VM95SP-H.html

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

petit choux posted:

Can you flip the stylus over with that yellow toggle?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Your cartridge is fine. That is a flipper needle. Does the other side say "78"? If so, you're good. Just make sure the "78" is facing up when you're playing it.

If the the stylus just says LP on both sides, buy a new one. They're like 12 bucks. No need to drop a hundred dollars to listen to 78s, unless you're digitizing them or something. I bought a 78 stylus for my AT95e and honestly it doesn't sound much different from my BSR with an old flipper needle in it.

Edit:why are you guys talking about steel needles? That's for phonographs... 78 rpm records existed for decades after people moved on from phonographs. Nobody is putting steel needles on a BSR turntable.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 14:00 on May 7, 2022

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

wa27 posted:

Your cartridge is fine. That is a flipper needle. Does the other side say "78"? If so, you're good. Just make sure the "78" is facing up when you're playing it.

If the the stylus just says LP on both sides, buy a new one. They're like 12 bucks. No need to drop a hundred dollars to listen to 78s, unless you're digitizing them or something. I bought a 78 stylus for my AT95e and honestly it doesn't sound much different from my BSR with an old flipper needle in it.

Well I am ripping them, that's why I got this. You think this is adequate?

quote:

Edit:why are you guys talking about steel needles? That's for phonographs... 78 rpm records existed for decades after people moved on from phonographs. Nobody is putting steel needles on a BSR turntable.

Well thanks for the clarification on that, there was an ebay seller that was pretty mystified when I told her I needed steel needles. She told me I probably had bad info.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

wa27 posted:

Yeah phonograph steel needles are enormous

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

petit choux posted:

Well I am ripping them, that's why I got this. You think this is adequate?
Does your stylus say 78 on one side? If so, go ahead and try it. It won't hurt anything.

For ripping, I guess it's just a question of how much you want to spend. For my project, it was worth it for me to spend $40 on a 78 stylus for my regular turntable/cart, because the BSRs I have are kind of junky. My main TT runs at 78 rpm though. If this is the only thing you have, you can grab a new 78 stylus for cheap.

As for installing a different cartridge on a BSR tonearm, is that even possible? Someone with more experience than me would have to comment. To me it just seems like a huge waste of money, but again it depends on how important this ripping project is to you.

If you have a "main" turntable you'd like to use, you could always rip them at 45 rpm and then just speed them up in software. I don't think there would be any issue with that. Just make sure you get a 78rpm stylus for your cartridge.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

wa27 posted:

Does your stylus say 78 on one side? If so, go ahead and try it. It won't hurt anything.

For ripping, I guess it's just a question of how much you want to spend. For my project, it was worth it for me to spend $40 on a 78 stylus for my regular turntable/cart, because the BSRs I have are kind of junky. My main TT runs at 78 rpm though. If this is the only thing you have, you can grab a new 78 stylus for cheap.

As for installing a different cartridge on a BSR tonearm, is that even possible? Someone with more experience than me would have to comment. To me it just seems like a huge waste of money, but again it depends on how important this ripping project is to you.

If you have a "main" turntable you'd like to use, you could always rip them at 45 rpm and then just speed them up in software. I don't think there would be any issue with that. Just make sure you get a 78rpm stylus for your cartridge.

Great, then. I got the BSR expressly for playing 78s.

Here, BTW, is my post for the record album that's motivating me to do this:

petit choux posted:

I may have to reassemble the ol' record player for this one.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I just picked up this Pioneer ct-f1250 at a garage sale for $60 :swoon:

It seems to work mostly fine. It sounds great. Sometimes it auto-stops on its own, I think because of the take-up reel not taking up properly. I've read about how fragile these things are so I'm hoping it's something fixable.

This dude had so much stereo equipment he was selling. Mostly black-faced early 90s stuff. There was probably a dozen of those vertical Pioneer CD changers, a bunch of Sony cassette decks, and various other things. When I got there, some guy was buying a huge stack of sealed blank cassettes for $100. This was the only 70s-era equipment, and I can't believe he sold it for so cheap.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
whoa, I didn't know those flipper styli existed, that's cool. Might be useful for what will follow here...

So I decided to try fixing up some vintage gear, because I need another hobby that requires modestly expensive tools and lots of fiddly components to store. There were a few good repair candidates at a recent garage sale, so I now have this pile of gear to refurb along with my on-hand JVC receiver and main vinyl playback Marantz receiver:

I'm starting the learning process with my known-working JVC because if I mess up, it'll be obvious since it was previously working fine. The service manual was available, and it's not too complex so it should be a good starter project. I've got a bunch more left to do, but the electrolytics and iffy transistors on the power supply board all went smoothly and it still works properly when powered up, hooray

Once I've gotten through at least the one receiver, hopefully I can transplant the BSR turntable from the first pic into a victrola that I picked up recently - I don't forsee using the victrola in its original form, but it could be a badass little mini-console if I can swap out the guts with a turntable, amplifier, and some speakers where the horn currently resides, maybe a Bluetooth module, etc.

Hopefully I can get the victrola Frankenstein project wrapped up in the next few months - lots of other stuff taking my time and energy, but I think this could be a nice finished product.

The Science Goy fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

The Science Goy posted:

whoa, I didn't know those flipper styli existed, that's cool. Might be useful for what will follow here...

So I decided to try fixing up some vintage gear, because I need another hobby that requires modestly expensive tools and lots of fiddly components to store. There were a few good repair candidates at a recent garage sale, so I now have this pile of gear to refurb along with my on-hand JVC receiver and main vinyl playback Marantz receiver:

I'm starting the learning process with my known-working JVC because if I mess up, it'll be obvious since it was previously working fine. The service manual was available, and it's not too complex so it should be a good starter project. I've got a bunch more left to do, but the electrolytics and iffy transistors on the power supply board all went smoothly and it still works properly when powered up, hooray

Once I've gotten through at least the one receiver, hopefully I can transplant the BSR turntable from the first pic into a victrola that I picked up recently - I don't forsee using the victrola in its original form, but it could be a badass little mini-console if I can swap out the guts with a turntable, amplifier, and some speakers where the horn currently resides, maybe a Bluetooth module, etc.

Hopefully I can get the victrola Frankenstein project wrapped up in the next few months - lots of other stuff taking my time and energy, but I think this could be a nice finished product.

That Kenwood cassette deck is pretty cool. I always liked decks with the lighted recessed mechanism.

That's a beautiful Victrola, and although I'd hate to see it gutted, I'm a firm believer in "Let people do whatever they want with their own stuff". I'll say it seems like a waste to put in a BSR changer in it. Maybe you can find a nicer turntable at a garage sale this summer (not that it couldn't be swapped out later, I suppose).