Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

petit choux posted:

Behold it is I, poster of garbage. Sorry to bug you guys but pls. take a look at these. Am I crazy for thinking they sound surprisingly good?

Texas Rehabilitation, so I call them my Texas Justice speakers.

Those are cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

petit choux posted:

Behold it is I, poster of garbage. Sorry to bug you guys but pls. take a look at these. Am I crazy for thinking they sound surprisingly good?

Texas Rehabilitation, so I call them my Texas Justice speakers.

Those are what TV networks used to do “socially distanced” sideline interviews during Covid sports.

The Anchors speakers were the tool of choice because they fit on a stand, but the typical “indestructible throw-down speaker,” the Fostex 6301b also sounds surprisingly good.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

eddiewalker posted:

Those are what TV networks used to do “socially distanced” sideline interviews during Covid sports.

The Anchors speakers were the tool of choice because they fit on a stand, but the typical “indestructible throw-down speaker,” the Fostex 6301b also sounds surprisingly good.

I used to work for a county licensing board that had public meetings and they used one of these. I was always impressed with how much power and clarity they had for their size so when I found them for a steal I bought two, along with their add-on speakers. I think I've talked myself into using these with my stereo for a bit.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If it sounds good to you that's what matters. :shrug:

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Is there any particular reason I shouldn't use a mic mixer, hi fi amp, dynamic mic, and some efficient bookshelf speakers (built like tanks) that I already own for some light PA work outside for a 30 minute wedding service, rather than paying a good $250 CAD or so to rent a single generic PA speaker with mic?

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Mederlock posted:

Is there any particular reason I shouldn't use a mic mixer, hi fi amp, dynamic mic, and some efficient bookshelf speakers (built like tanks) that I already own for some light PA work outside for a 30 minute wedding service, rather than paying a good $250 CAD or so to rent a single generic PA speaker with mic?

For a wedding party you need something that’ll move air imo; unless it’s a small space, you will need to pair bookshelves with a sub or get speakers with reasonably sized woofers otherwise it’ll sound accurate but anemic.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Mederlock posted:

you’re gonna drop your amp on the wet ground at the wedding

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ephori posted:

For a wedding party you need something that’ll move air imo; unless it’s a small space, you will need to pair bookshelves with a sub or get speakers with reasonably sized woofers otherwise it’ll sound accurate but anemic.

No no, the music is being handled by a proper DJ at the reception. We're just running a microphone for the officiant for the ceremony. Nothing more

Ok Comboomer posted:

you’re gonna drop your amp on the wet ground at the wedding

It's going to be 30°C and dry as bones on the day of :sweatdrop:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Mederlock posted:

you’re gonna drop your amp on the hot dry ground and it’s gonna break and then spontaneously combust from the heat

some guy is gonna jump through the cake November Rain-style and get fondant all over it

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The terrible secret of space... :stonk: the Mods, they knew!
I used my La Scala's and my Parasound amp for my buddies wedding, But was running it all through one of the small mixing boards I have sitting around.

It was a rooftop venue downtown, I cranked up Mr Blue Sky as a sound check that afternoon, and I'm drat sure you could here it for through most of that part of town. Was sort of overkill.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Mederlock posted:

No no, the music is being handled by a proper DJ at the reception. We're just running a microphone for the officiant for the ceremony. Nothing more

I’ve used bookshelf speakers and a regular amp to run microphones at an indoor presentation type thing and it wasn’t amazing. Outdoors might even be worse. Can’t you try it out right now and see what you think?

It does work though

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Look up used prices for those Anchor amps I posted above HTH

ED: maybe PM me if you want to buy mine

ED2: I just realized that's what I like about these so much. They are actual PA speakers and they do move air, and I'm not accustomed to that from something the size of a bookshelf speaker. I think they may lack extreme clarity, especially in the highs. But having that extra punch makes percussion especially feel more lively. But I was originally wondering if there wasn't a little compression going on but I think it just has a lot of gain in the amp circuitry.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Aug 17, 2022

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
I have a Nikko NR-300 that I’ve had for years and years and always liked even though it’s not special in any way. It has a really nice aluminum face but the body was just sort of cruddy gray tin. So after looking at it for 10 years or something and never loving it I made some cheap scales for the sides and I think it looks better!

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

Mederlock posted:

My partner is a wedding planner in Canada, your life will be exponentially better the day of the wedding if you just rent a Bose S1 Pro from long and mcquade (should be around $30-$50 max). I say this purely due to the simplicity of setup and minimal wiring, it's battery powered (can run for 6-8 hours putting out decent SPL), has bluetooth input if you need to stream processional music and a built in mixer to take your mic input. If it's a larger service and you really need to throw some voice there's also the Yorkville EXM mobile 12.

Also before anyone does the "nO hiGhs No LoWs mUst bE bosE", their portable pro gear is basically the gold standard for small battery powered PA stuff.

For real world costs reference, a week or two ago I rented a pair of Yorkville elite 12's, an exm mobile 8, two stands for the 12's, a mic and all associated cabling for $149 taxes in.

DoesNotCompute fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Aug 22, 2022

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

DoesNotCompute posted:

My partner is a wedding planner in Canada, your life will be exponentially better the day of the wedding if you just rent a Bose S1 Pro from long and mcquade (should be around $30-$50 max). I say this purely due to the simplicity of setup and minimal wiring, it's battery powered (can run for 6-8 hours putting out decent SPL), has bluetooth input if you need to stream processional music and a built in mixer to take your mic input. If it's a larger service and you really need to throw some voice there's also the Yorkville EXM mobile 12.

Also before anyone does the "nO hiGhs No LoWs mUst bE bosE", their portable pro gear is basically the gold standard for small battery powered PA stuff.

For real world costs reference, a week or two ago I rented a pair of Yorkville elite 12's, an exm mobile 8, two stands for the 12's, a mic and all associated cabling for $149 taxes in.

Thank you so much! This is why I love this dead gay comedy forum. After calling them you were totally right, it's going to be like $50 all in or something in that range.. about 1/5th the price that the event rental contractor we were using for the seating was quoting us.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Greetings Thread, I come before you now because I think my Kenwood may have died. But maybe I've just done something dumb? I was rerouting some cables and unplugged stuff and after I plugged it back in it doesn't want to make any sound. Except one thing I accidentally noticed before I took it out of service: when I accidentally touched the tip of the cable's RCA connector to the shield of the RCA on the stereo, it would make normal sound. Not if I plug in though. Weird, I just moved in and now I feel like I should check these power outlets.

I had a slightly more recent and probably not as good amp/tuner in this Technics here, SA-EX310, so I pulled it out of storage yesterday, I'm guessing this is some kind of a Dolby setup, I've never used a center speaker before.

I'm still using these small PA speakers with my stereo, I'm now using the JBLs and just have the PAs connected to one of the headphone jacks RN.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
Replaced my incandescent bulbs with LEDs in the Marantz 2220. One of the bulbs was previously dim/burned out, the replacement LED is also dim in that section. Tried a different LED and it is noticeably dim as well.

Any ideas?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

vs Dinosaurs posted:

Replaced my incandescent bulbs with LEDs in the Marantz 2220. One of the bulbs was previously dim/burned out, the replacement LED is also dim in that section. Tried a different LED and it is noticeably dim as well.

Any ideas?

Third times the charm

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
The issue magically resolved itself. Now to just deal with the horrendously loud buzz that happens randomly with my turn table, requiring that I twist the RCA jacks just right like a pair of evil and demanding nipples.

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
Maybe contact spray could help?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Yeah, deoxit might do it. And show a pic of the new bulbs!

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
Tried cleaning both the female side on the receiver and the RCA plugs on from the TT with Deoxit, no luck. Ordered some RCA plugs from Monoprice and will try recapping the existing cable before doing a full cable replacement.

https://imgur.com/a/egUK6uJ

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

vs Dinosaurs posted:

Tried cleaning both the female side on the receiver and the RCA plugs on from the TT with Deoxit, no luck. Ordered some RCA plugs from Monoprice and will try recapping the existing cable before doing a full cable replacement.

https://imgur.com/a/egUK6uJ

That’s a good one!

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
I recently inherited my grandparents old AM/FM/SW radio, it's a Panasonic RF-2200. My Dad bought it for them for Christmas in 1978. I always thought it was so cool growing up when my grandma would have Finnish radio stations playing on it (we're in Canada). When I saw my Dad had it in his storage room on my last visit I asked for it. I am not really into AM/SW, but the FM tuner sounds really good (better than the one on my modern Pioneer receiver) and I think the radio itself looks so neat so it's earned a spot as my kitchen radio.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
That thing is pretty sweet, and the memories just make it sweeter.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

That thing is awesome especially the 44 year old “2 year warrantee” sticker.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Meow Meow Meow posted:

I recently inherited my grandparents old AM/FM/SW radio, it's a Panasonic RF-2200. My Dad bought it for them for Christmas in 1978. I always thought it was so cool growing up when my grandma would have Finnish radio stations playing on it (we're in Canada). When I saw my Dad had it in his storage room on my last visit I asked for it. I am not really into AM/SW, but the FM tuner sounds really good (better than the one on my modern Pioneer receiver) and I think the radio itself looks so neat so it's earned a spot as my kitchen radio.

I love Panasonic's 70s radio design. Does the dial slide behind the tuning indicator on that one? I have this thing, which is my favorite portable radio:

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

Meow Meow Meow posted:

That's a pretty great radio.

The radio sections of modern receivers tend to suck because, frankly, there's very little reason to listen to them anymore. I have a GE Superadio I and I almost never turn it on because even though it's one of the best AM radios of all time, there's virtually no reason to listen to AM radio. https://radiojayallen.com/ge-superadios-evolution-of-a-classic/

strtj fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Sep 3, 2022

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
Superadio was so good

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

TheMadMilkman posted:

I’ll look into the Audio Technica table, as well as searching for used tables locally. I like the idea of the USB output for some of the LP120 variants.

Self quote follow up.

I finally ordered an LP120XUSB and the recommended cartridge for 78s. I’ll be digitizing my grandma’s collection soon.

Having finally looked through the crates, her original collection from her teen years is all contained in a single leather case, which is only about 1 cubic foot. I’m definitely keeping that. Most of the rest is actually 45s and LPs that we’re picked up later in her life. Those will probably be sold, since I’m not big on Lawrence Welk and Christmas albums.

But the original 78 collection is pretty neat.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Just in case you haven’t seen it mentioned, but make sure you don’t play any 78 shellac records with the regular needle on your new turntable.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I bought a cartridge specifically for the 78s.

Also, it’s very weird to me that I can listen to music enshrined in processed bug goop. The world is wild.

strtj
Feb 1, 2010
I saw a basically untouched survivor condition RCA 260 console radio at a thrift store last week, a true dusty but fully restorable piece from the depression. It was $60 and I desperately wanted to get it but realized that I have way too many projects right now, plus the restoration costs to do it right would run well into the hundreds of dollars. I truly hope that whoever picks it up will do the right thing and restore it rather than just use it as furniture. Many years ago I sold a high-end Zenith console from the late '30s to someone who clearly just wanted it as a decorative piece and it still breaks my heart that I was in a place where I just needed it out of my house.

If anyone is really interested in 78s, Ortofon makes a needle that fits the OM/Super OM cartridges and I fully recommend it.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
I'm just gonna pop in to touch on the Anabas GP-N3R. Really fantastic little device for people who can't fit a turntable/speaker setup but don't want to destroy their records with a 40 dollar briefcase you can buy at Target. Plus, it's a Japan-only import so by owning one you become a little bit more worldly. Looks like a children's toy but has respectable guts and ships with an AT stylus. The thing runs off of D cells for gently caress's sake, how can you not love it

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
NAD made an 80s/90s-style hifi receiver with all of the contemporary goodies like Airplay 2/etc plus 100 WPC and analog VU meters

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_745C3050LE/NAD-C-3050-LE.html

only a hair under $2000

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Looks great though

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

BigFactory posted:

Looks great though

Gotta say I much prefer the minimalist grey 90s NAD look. But to each their own. For that much money I'll stick with my silver face Yamaha as-801. It's retro enough and was a quarter of the price(used) for the same function. Oh except METERS I guess

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

large hands posted:

Gotta say I much prefer the minimalist grey 90s NAD look. But to each their own. For that much money I'll stick with my silver face Yamaha as-801. It's retro enough and was a quarter of the price(used) for the same function. Oh except METERS I guess

Meters are sick

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

large hands posted:

I’ve been interested in one of those Yamahas for awhile. I have a marantz that I really love, but I’m tired of the maintenance necessary on vintage equipment.

How do you feel it compares to vintage stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

I’ve been interested in one of those Yamahas for awhile. I have a marantz that I really love, but I’m tired of the maintenance necessary on vintage equipment.

How do you feel it compares to vintage stuff?

it’s not as solidly built as the classic stuff if you start to inspect it, but it amplifies cleanly like a Yamaha should and it has the convenience of a remote control and built-in optical DAC (don’t get the 801, get the 701 plus a Magni or whatever IMO if you want USB in).

People don’t like that the knob is secretly plastic, but it’s secretly plastic in p much exactly the way that my vintage Pioneer SX-680 has “secretly plastic” knobs where I didn’t know for years until one day when I was servicing it and took them off and saw the injection points on the inside.

If you’re buying it expecting a 1-to-1 replacement for a CR-2040 then you’re about a grand or two off from the flagship models, but for ~$700 it’s hard to do much better if you want that aesthetic and a “premium enough” build.

If you wanted to rip together a wooden case out of oak board or whatever it would probably look quite fetching in it