Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Ok Comboomer posted:

it’s not as solidly built as the classic stuff if you start to inspect it, but it amplifies cleanly like a Yamaha should and it has the convenience of a remote control and built-in optical DAC (don’t get the 801, get the 701 plus a Magni or whatever IMO if you want USB in).

People don’t like that the knob is secretly plastic, but it’s secretly plastic in p much exactly the way that my vintage Pioneer SX-680 has “secretly plastic” knobs where I didn’t know for years until one day when I was servicing it and took them off and saw the injection points on the inside.

If you’re buying it expecting a 1-to-1 replacement for a CR-2040 then you’re about a grand or two off from the flagship models, but for ~$700 it’s hard to do much better if you want that aesthetic and a “premium enough” build.

If you wanted to rip together a wooden case out of oak board or whatever it would probably look quite fetching in it

Thanks for the info! I’ll stick with the 701 if I get one, that’s great advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

I’ve been interested in one of those Yamahas for awhile. I have a marantz that I really love, but I’m tired of the maintenance necessary on vintage equipment.

How do you feel it compares to vintage stuff?

It sounds fantastic and has no issues driving my Lintons, which can dip under 4ohms. I got the 801 because they had it used for about half price at my local hifi shop. the DAC in it is great and I don't think I'd ever need better. Plus built in is nice. I never notice the plastic knobs because I leave it in tone defeat/"pure direct" mode and use the remote for volume.

I run my PC into it via USB and just got a WiiM mini that let's me stream any online source to it wirelessly via my phone/tablet through the optical in. So I can get Amazon HD up to 24/192 bit perfect controlled from my phone. It's a great accessory for a 2 channel system for 99$.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Picked up some weirdo speakers a couple weekends ago, some BES SM-260 speakers, looks like they are made from a foam ice chest. They have a specially shaped foam panel that exciters are attached to on the back. Don't sound amazing, but don't sound horrible either, so they got added to the stack.

The Polks are on the chopping block and the little set up in front I have listed on facebook. The same estate sale I picked up a Pioneer QX-949 and a Sansui SR-626, both in box, they look unused. I serviced the Sansui today, it's a pretty table.

TooLShack fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Oct 31, 2022

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Good stuff

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

TooLShack posted:

The same estate sale I picked up a Pioneer QX-949 and a Sansui SR-626, both in box, they look unused. I serviced the Sansui today, it's a pretty table.

Man I have been actively chasing one of those Sansui tables for like 10+ years, I have never seen one come up for sale in Australia :(

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2022/11/sound-burger-portable-record-player-returns-from-the-80s-with-bluetooth-usb-c/

$200 msrp, but only making 7k units

if I can get one for retail it’s probably an insta-buy for me

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
I am unreasonably angry about how good of a thing this is.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
Why would you ever use that product? Vinyls are not portable and that seems like it only has advantages when on the go.

Animale
Sep 30, 2009

vs Dinosaurs posted:

Why would you ever use that product? Vinyls are not portable and that seems like it only has advantages when on the go.

Because it's called Sound Burger. It's a burger for sound! :burger:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

vs Dinosaurs posted:

to test old records that you might want to buy

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

vs Dinosaurs posted:

Looks cool

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ok Comboomer posted:

to test old records that you might want to buy

Yep it's this, and was even more a thing to have a portable player when the internet wasn't to hand and you were looking for potential sample sources etc.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
No need to own this item confirmed!

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

vs Dinosaurs posted:

I assume it's exclusively targeted toward Techmoan's audience.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

wa27 posted:

The man single handedly can fluctuate eBay prices, so it could be a big success!

If he was cunning he would buy up all the cheap models of items he knows he's got an upcoming video for, then resell at the post-Techmoan price. He seems too nice to do that, but others are definitely cashing in on his work because of it.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

wa27 posted:

Speaking of the devil...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b48XD9P8klM

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
lmao it appears to have sold out already, Christ

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Ok Comboomer posted:

Good! I almost talked myself into buying one yesterday when you could still order one, and I was about to break down and do it this evening.

I have zero need or use cases for it, it's just cool.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Looks like a great, high quality product at a reasonable price (as far as record players go).

I still don't want one, but good on them for doing it right.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Ok Comboomer posted:

Well as Techmoan said in the video, they aren’t going to go to all that work and cost for 7000 units. They are going to make a non-anniversary one sooner than later.

Only downside is the lack of headphone port. I always wanted one for testing records while digging through crates.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

vs Dinosaurs posted:

I actually own a different portable record player (Anabas GP-N3R) and as someone who doesn't have the space for a full turntable + speakers setup it's my main turntable of choice. Even if you do have the space for a full-sized one, they have secondary uses - the Anabas, for example, can be wall-mounted and play albums vertically. Plus, like others have said, testing records while shopping and obviously the Cool Guy Factor of listening to vinyl records while picnicking or whatever it is that cool guys do. Kind of glad it sold out so quickly because I really want one and I have absolutely no reason to own two portable record players. If they come out with a second batch, might make it a Hanukkah gift for a loved one so that I can feel the dopamine of hitting the buy button.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Djarum posted:

Well as Techmoan said in the video, they aren’t going to go to all that work and cost for 7000 units. They are going to make a non-anniversary one sooner than later.

Only downside is the lack of headphone port. I always wanted one for testing records while digging through crates.

I'm glad they have courage

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I picked up this Panasonic SE-840 receiver/turntable at an auction yesterday for $2. It's surprisingly decent quality for a combo unit. Very heavy and nice wood cabinet. The cylinder speakers are sweet.

Currently the turntable runs slightly too fast on all speeds. It's an idler wheel system with no speed adjust, so I'm not sure what to do about that. I guess I could take some sandpaper to the motor shaft.

The other problem is there's a hiss coming from the speakers, which seems like a common problem that can be fixed by replacing two transistors. The radio has problems too - FM stereo and AM don't do anything. FM Mono works but volume is low.

I kind of wanted to fix it up and give it to someone, since the turntable sounds surprisingly good, but it's probably more trouble than it's worth. Nobody likes to use changers anyway. I might just hold on to the speakers because they're funky.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
I wonder if a variable resistor pot on the power wire going in might slow it down?

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Djarum posted:

Also sony should really get on reintroducing theirs.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Qwijib0 posted:

Also sony should really get on reintroducing theirs.

Be nice along with them making some of the Biotracer turntables again but I don't think they have the engineering and whatnot to do it anymore. It's the same issue with compact cassette mechs. The market is out there again for high/higher end mechanisms but there isn't the knowledge and manufacturing capability to do it anymore. Like the vinyl market right now it is a lot of people having to rediscover the wheel. It should be a warning for everyone going forward to not allow all of the institutional knowledge and equipment to disappear since it always comes back.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Seems like Sony could clean up by slapping BT and USB into one of the classic Walkman models, kinda surprised they haven't tried tbh.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

Seems like Sony could clean up by slapping BT and USB into one of the classic Walkman models, kinda surprised they haven't tried tbh.

they probably destroyed all of that tooling and manufacturing infrastructure long ago

Sony doesn’t really make their revenue from electronics and personal audio/video stuff anymore, for all that they’re still in TV/phone/media player/radio/car audio/blu ray/etc manufacturing and licensing.

If you look at how Sony is structured today vs the past, this kind of stuff is a relative tiny fraction of their revenue compared to when they were the Walkman/Trinitron company and shipping a gorillion CD player variants.

Sony in 2022 makes the overwhelming bulk of their money off of PlayStation, Sony Pictures/Sony Music, selling camera modules to manufacturers like Apple, and investments in poo poo like financial services.

Even if they wanted to do it, I’m sure that their recent forays into other nostalgia/enthusiast products like their hifi separates and special edition “Walkman” nostalgia bait mp3 player has shown them that the money to make a bunch of new cassette decks is probably much better spent invested in a new Spider-Man movie or Hideo Kojima project or a million other things.

Audio Technica is a “turntables and headphones and microphones, and basically nothing else” company—so for them the relative outlay to bring back a limited run of Sound Burgers has much more value and potential ROI.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Nov 6, 2022

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Ok Comboomer posted:

they probably destroyed all of that tooling and manufacturing infrastructure long ago

Sony doesn’t really make their revenue from electronics and personal audio/video stuff anymore, for all that they’re still in TV/phone/media player/radio/car audio/blu ray/etc manufacturing and licensing.

If you look at how Sony is structured today vs the past, this kind of stuff is a relative tiny fraction of their revenue compared to when they were the Walkman/Trinitron company and shipping a gorillion CD player variants.

Sony in 2022 makes the overwhelming bulk of their money off of PlayStation, Sony Pictures/Sony Music, selling camera modules to manufacturers like Apple, and investments in poo poo like financial services.

Even if they wanted to do it, I’m sure that their recent forays into other nostalgia/enthusiast products like their hifi separates and special edition “Walkman” nostalgia bait mp3 player has shown them that the money to make a bunch of new cassette decks is probably much better spent invested in a new Spider-Man movie or Hideo Kojima project or a million other things.

Audio Technica is a “turntables and headphones and microphones, and basically nothing else” company—so for them the relative outlay to bring back a limited run of Sound Burgers has much more value and potential ROI.

Those are all very good points, and yet I still really really want to click the add to cart button on one. :colbert:

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Well if Sony or one of the other better companies wanted to get back into manufacturing quality cassette mechs that would likely be a pretty lucrative business again just selling OEM mechs to others. Tanashin is the only game in town, it is garbage but is selling like gangbusters for that reason. Anyone who can put a better quality mech into production is going to eat into those sales pretty heavily.

I think if Sony created a modern Cassette Walkman that had Bluetooth and USB-C charging would be a pretty compelling product. Especially if they included perhaps a SD card slot to play music files on it as well. I always like to think what Sony's portable cassette and CD players would be right now if the markets hadn't died. CD players I think would be remarkably thin, which they were getting there with the D-NE20 already. Also cool things like E-Ink or OLED displays with perhaps touch controls built in.

Physical media is coming back in a big way, it is going to be interesting to see how the markets react. It took awhile for the bigger players to realize the vinyl resurgence, although there doesn't seem to be the same sort of investment in turntables as there is media/manufacturing yet. CDs will have an easier time since there isn't the massive divestment in both manufacturing of media and hardware that there was with both vinyl and compact cassette. There are still plenty of high end CD players and mechs on the market.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Djarum posted:

Well if Sony or one of the other better companies wanted to get back into manufacturing quality cassette mechs that would likely be a pretty lucrative business again just selling OEM mechs to others. Tanashin is the only game in town, it is garbage but is selling like gangbusters for that reason. Anyone who can put a better quality mech into production is going to eat into those sales pretty heavily.

I think if Sony created a modern Cassette Walkman that had Bluetooth and USB-C charging would be a pretty compelling product. Especially if they included perhaps a SD card slot to play music files on it as well. I always like to think what Sony's portable cassette and CD players would be right now if the markets hadn't died. CD players I think would be remarkably thin, which they were getting there with the D-NE20 already. Also cool things like E-Ink or OLED displays with perhaps touch controls built in.

Physical media is coming back in a big way, it is going to be interesting to see how the markets react. It took awhile for the bigger players to realize the vinyl resurgence, although there doesn't seem to be the same sort of investment in turntables as there is media/manufacturing yet. CDs will have an easier time since there isn't the massive divestment in both manufacturing of media and hardware that there was with both vinyl and compact cassette. There are still plenty of high end CD players and mechs on the market.

There’s a much healthier market for used record players too. It’s a real crapshoot if a 15 year old cd player will work, and if it doesn’t it’s usually impractical or impossible to fix. 50 year old record players are a lot simpler and easier to fix.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
There are infinite plinth and a motor turntables out there, that market is now well-saturated. Hopefully someone even if it's not Sony innovates again-- using the immediate sell out of the burger as a market cue.

Even at $500 a linear tracking vertical would probably sell well.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Qwijib0 posted:

There are infinite plinth and a motor turntables out there, that market is now well-saturated. Hopefully someone even if it's not Sony innovates again-- using the immediate sell out of the burger as a market cue.

Even at $500 a linear tracking vertical would probably sell well.

I would like to see someone try to improve and innovate again. The stuff you saw Sony, Denon and others doing in the late 80s in terms of servo controlled tone arms and whatnot was very cool. With modern tech one should be able to make a completely automatic, perfectly controlled turntable that should cost a fraction of what the ones then did without any of the limitations or downsides. Hell optical sensors today should make detecting vinyl a cinch.

Hell making a dual linear tracking turntable to eliminate flipping should be able to be done leagues better than what was done then as well.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Djarum posted:

I would like to see someone try to improve and innovate again. The stuff you saw Sony, Denon and others doing in the late 80s in terms of servo controlled tone arms and whatnot was very cool. With modern tech one should be able to make a completely automatic, perfectly controlled turntable that should cost a fraction of what the ones then did without any of the limitations or downsides. Hell optical sensors today should make detecting vinyl a cinch.

Hell making a dual linear tracking turntable to eliminate flipping should be able to be done leagues better than what was done then as well.

The current problem is automatic features that were standard 60 years ago are apparently considered undesirable in decent modern turntables. At the bare minimum, I would expect a turntable to have auto-stop but some don't even do that. I wish the trend would be towards more features = better, like what was happening in the early 80s.

It seems like there is room for innovation in speed control. Computers should be inside turntables. There should be an LCD on the plinth that reads out the precise current speed and allows you to lock it to 33, or really any arbitrary value like 16rpm. Speed should be as accurate as any quartz lock turntable from 40 years ago was, and probably even better. Aside from the LP120, it seems like no manufacturers even care about quartz lock anymore.

wa27 fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Nov 7, 2022

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

wa27 posted:

The current problem is automatic features that were standard 60 years ago are apparently considered undesirable in decent modern turntables. At the bare minimum, I would expect a turntable to have auto-stop but some don't even do that. I wish the trend would be towards more features = better, like what was happening in the early 80s.

It seems like there is room for innovation in speed control. Computers should be inside turntables. There should be an LCD on the plinth that reads out the precise current speed and allows you to lock it to 33, or really any arbitrary value like 16rpm. Speed should be as accurate as any quartz lock turntable from 40 years ago was, and probably even better. Aside from the LP120, it seems like no manufacturers even care about quartz lock anymore.

Yeah the "features" that are focused on with modern turntables are not great. One has to wonder if it is more to do with just lack of materials to do much else than a frankly basic belt driven table. They can use better materials in making them but for the most part there isn't a ton of difference between a 200 dollar table and a 2000 dollar one now.

Speed and Tonearm controls should be easily handled by even a simple micro processor now. There is little reason why you can't have a readout of your speed, tracking force and azimuth. Hell even throw in some features like lifetime on the turntable and current stylus. You could likely easily code it all on to something as simple as a Pi Nano. Hell trying to design and make a modern direct drive turntable might be a fun project to do.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Djarum posted:

Speed and Tonearm controls should be easily handled by even a simple micro processor now. There is little reason why you can't have a readout of your speed, tracking force and azimuth. Hell even throw in some features like lifetime on the turntable and current stylus. You could likely easily code it all on to something as simple as a Pi Nano. Hell trying to design and make a modern direct drive turntable might be a fun project to do.

If you’re getting to that point, there’s no reason why you couldn’t build a fully robotic “learning” TT. Use a combination of available track data/noise recognition/position recognition/user input to build a tracklist of your LP, recognize it when you start playing it, actuate the tonearm, and then let you do poo poo like select tracks from your phone.

Like, you start playing The Money Store and the app on your phone says “it sounds like you’re playing The Money Store. Add to record library?” and then you click YES. Then any time you start playing The Money Store the app in your phone shows you the tracklist, and you can do poo poo like put “Get Got” on loop/etc or pick tracks or play your record in Shuffle Mode and the table will automatically move the stylus for you.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 7, 2022

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ok Comboomer posted:

If you’re getting to that point, there’s no reason why you couldn’t build a fully robotic “learning” TT. Use a combination of available track data/noise recognition/position recognition/user input to build a tracklist of your LP, recognize it when you start playing it, actuate the tonearm, and then let you do poo poo like select tracks from your phone.

Like, you start playing The Money Store and the app on your phone says “it sounds like you’re playing The Money Store. Add to record library?” and then you click YES. Then any time you start playing The Money Store the app in your phone shows you the tracklist, and you can do poo poo like put “Get Got” on loop/etc or pick tracks or play your record in Shuffle Mode and the table will automatically move the stylus for you.

drat I would buy the poo poo outta that.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Mederlock posted:

drat I would buy the poo poo outta that.

Idk, why not just stream the music at that point

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Maybe you could invent some way to store the music from the record so you don't have to flip sides. A long audio tape or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

BigFactory posted:

Idk, why not just stream the music at that point

I wouldn't do it for modern music, that would be pointless. But for all my old classical and jazz records it would be cool if it could tap into the Discogs database and do that. It would basically be a vinyl cd player in function which would be dope