Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Ok Comboomer posted:

If you’re getting to that point, there’s no reason why you couldn’t build a fully robotic “learning” TT. Use a combination of available track data/noise recognition/position recognition/user input to build a tracklist of your LP, recognize it when you start playing it, actuate the tonearm, and then let you do poo poo like select tracks from your phone.

Like, you start playing The Money Store and the app on your phone says “it sounds like you’re playing The Money Store. Add to record library?” and then you click YES. Then any time you start playing The Money Store the app in your phone shows you the tracklist, and you can do poo poo like put “Get Got” on loop/etc or pick tracks or play your record in Shuffle Mode and the table will automatically move the stylus for you.

Well the big issue with that is you would need a lot more computing power to achieve that. Making a turntable that is much more accurately playing your music would be fairly easy and cheap with modern sensors, servos and microprocessors. They were on the cusp of doing a lot of this in the mid to late 80s with cutting edge stuff. Today you can put together something much more accurate, capable and reliable for a 20th of the price at most and that would be if you were over building it. Hell stuff like the Biotracer from Sony was able to play wildly warped vinyl with no issue in 1981. Try that with any modern tonearm/turntable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

BigFactory posted:

Idk, why not just stream the music at that point

I mean, why even buy vinyl in the first place?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Ok Comboomer posted:

I mean, why even buy vinyl in the first place?

I ask myself that a lot

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
The only correct answer is because it's fun and dorky and the large format album art and liner is nice

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

large hands posted:

Maybe you could invent some way to store the music from the record so you don't have to flip sides. A long audio tape or something

someone's gonna bring back autochangers

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

In the 80s, they were using microchips to make record players act like CD players. I don't think that will ever come back into style because it loses parts of vinyl that people find fun.

Djarum posted:

Speed and Tonearm controls should be easily handled by even a simple micro processor now. There is little reason why you can't have a readout of your speed, tracking force and azimuth. Hell even throw in some features like lifetime on the turntable and current stylus. You could likely easily code it all on to something as simple as a Pi Nano. Hell trying to design and make a modern direct drive turntable might be a fun project to do.
These are all great ideas that someone should have tried years ago. The most unfun part of turntables is making all the adjustments and wondering if it's set up ideally or not. I bet someone could invent an automatic anti-skate that sensed how much the arm was being pulled inward and applied an opposite force.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

wa27 posted:

I bet someone could invent an automatic anti-skate that sensed how much the arm was being pulled inward and applied an opposite force.

How could that ever compare to a small weight on a string?

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Looking forward to NFCs on vinyl labels that just trigger specific streaming songs when you drop them on a tonearm-less spinning platter.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

wa27 posted:

In the 80s, they were using microchips to make record players act like CD players. I don't think that will ever come back into style because it loses parts of vinyl that people find fun.

These are all great ideas that someone should have tried years ago. The most unfun part of turntables is making all the adjustments and wondering if it's set up ideally or not. I bet someone could invent an automatic anti-skate that sensed how much the arm was being pulled inward and applied an opposite force.

Well I think you can improve the experience and equipment while still keep things “fun”. A big problem is that the audiophile community has very bad ideas in terms of what is good and bad. This is I think why you haven’t seen much in terms of improved tech in turntables because during the 70s and 80s they decried basically every improvement made; direct drive, automatic playback and stop functions, etc. It isn’t even so much with these people if you are trying to improve the wheel, they want the same exact wheel it has always been. To them they would have kept the stone wheel just kept polishing it and trying to refine it instead of making one out of rubber.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Djarum posted:

Well I think you can improve the experience and equipment while still keep things “fun”. A big problem is that the audiophile community has very bad ideas in terms of what is good and bad. This is I think why you haven’t seen much in terms of improved tech in turntables because during the 70s and 80s they decried basically every improvement made; direct drive, automatic playback and stop functions, etc. It isn’t even so much with these people if you are trying to improve the wheel, they want the same exact wheel it has always been. To them they would have kept the stone wheel just kept polishing it and trying to refine it instead of making one out of rubber.

Audiophiles aren’t pushing the 2020s vinyl boom and there isn’t mass market demand for audiophile quality new turntables.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

BigFactory posted:

Audiophiles aren’t pushing the 2020s vinyl boom and there isn’t mass market demand for audiophile quality new turntables.

Yes and no. There is a demand if for nothing else looking at the rise in price and demand in vintage audio gear. It isn't the audiophile community buying up vintage gear, it is the mass market trying to get things that is not being produced now. Like I said there isn't that much of a difference between a RT-85 for 500 and a VPI, Rega or a Pro-Ject for 1300+. They aren't great value for money when you compare that with vintage gear as well which is better made and have features that aren't being offered now.

A disturbing amount of people are just going to use a lovely Crosley or at best a low end Audio-Technica because that is what is available at where they are shopping. The vinyl boom hasn't caused anyone to really bring any new skin to the game.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Djarum posted:

Yes and no. There is a demand if for nothing else looking at the rise in price and demand in vintage audio gear. It isn't the audiophile community buying up vintage gear, it is the mass market trying to get things that is not being produced now. Like I said there isn't that much of a difference between a RT-85 for 500 and a VPI, Rega or a Pro-Ject for 1300+. They aren't great value for money when you compare that with vintage gear as well which is better made and have features that aren't being offered now.

A disturbing amount of people are just going to use a lovely Crosley or at best a low end Audio-Technica because that is what is available at where they are shopping. The vinyl boom hasn't caused anyone to really bring any new skin to the game.

Somewhat agree. Part of the reason that records are popular is that theyre vintage and quaint. A segment of the market is buying vintage gear because they want to buy vintage gear. A modern turntable with cutting edge features doesn’t appeal to these kinds of hobbyists, and you’d have to reach out to them in order to justify the R&D because the other half of the market buys records mostly just to collect them and is perfectly happy to listen to them infrequently on a cheap player. Somewhere outside of this is the hardcore hobbyists who also sometimes have weird ideas about what features are desirable and which ones cause mysterious noises that it takes magnets to fix.

So we’re stuck with what we’ve got.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Djarum posted:

FWIW I think the Mk7 SL1200 is the best 1200 yet, and I can't hate it at $900 tho it probably could've cost $700 in the current market, and maybe even like $500-600 if people were buying vinyl the way they did during the model's heyday

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
might hang out in here a bit as i'm getting back into home sound a bit.

this weekend's snag was a nice stack that just needed a Deoxit firehose

the a700 is fuckin thunderous and definitely a lift-with-your-legs amp. This is now my bedroom setup that I can redirect my living room mains to (tiny studio cottage), i have an A-400 that I repaired (new driver IC, was insanely hard to find but i persevered) and use for my computer desk. I have a couple non-yammys in the backstock in the closet (technics su-v98 is probably the most interesting one) but for the most part i stick with the triple tuning forks. Not super pertinent for this thread but main living room amp is a shiny A2A all of two weeks old.

I don't gently caress with vinyl as i still have PTSD from hucking record crates and 1200s around in my early DJ years, but it's cool that it's still relatively vibrant.

Current project is a slow, slow, slow repair job on a Kenwood silverface integrated for a buddy. i don't charge for my fixit jobs, friends only, but i love keeping the old gear alive or resurrecting it.

thrift stores have dried the hell up past couple years for obvious reasons, i don't find many goodies there any more. I did get a Sony XDR-F1HD in box with remote a while back and it's kind of fun to tune in to the jazz station, even though HDRadio is generally poo poo bitrate.

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

thrift stores have dried the hell up past couple years for obvious reasons, i don't find many goodies there any more. I did get a Sony XDR-F1HD in box with remote a while back and it's kind of fun to tune in to the jazz station, even though HDRadio is generally poo poo bitrate.

Pretty cool score all around. How is that F1HD for reception? I always wanted one but never followed through.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Oh it can pick up a mouse fart in a hurricane on analog. One of the absolute best tuners i've ever touched. 20 presets and I managed to fill them all without touching the country or talk stations on FM.

i'm in west denver and have one of those little round omni FM antennas for $30 on amazon, outside on a 10 foot pole, and i can pick up colorado springs stations full quieting. that's about a 60 mile shot, though we do have the cheat of mountaintop transmitters around here.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Djarum posted:

during the 70s and 80s they decried basically every improvement made; direct drive, automatic playback and stop functions, etc.

It is somewhat annoying that my SL-QD33 is basically the last gasp of the affordable yet competent direct drive turntable.

Quartz speed control, nearly instant to get to speed and brake, auto start/stop/repeat, record size sensor, P-mount cartridge, slim chassis that's nearly half the height of an SL-1200, and much more affordable.

It's a great turntable, but it was the end of the line. There are of course direct drive turntables being made now, but they're all just 1200 clones, more or less.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 9, 2022

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Hi, I asked this question on the audiophile thread and they suggested asking here as well.

I have a 15 year old carousel CD player with 200 discs in it which I haven't used for a while. It used to be hooked up to a receiver which fed to hard wired speakers. The wires went under the floorboards and back up to speakers in the living room and kitchen.

We had some floors installed and got rid of the stereo and speakers, and got a Harman Kardon Citation 500 wifi speaker instead (not bluetooth). I've been streaming music to it ever since from my phone, but I found the CD carousel in the basement and realized that it might be nice to hook the CD player back up and listen to those old discs. I

So is there a way to hook up an old-style CD player to a device that can wifi signal to the Harmon Kardon speaker? If so, is it complicated to do or prohibitively expensive?

In the other thread they suggested getting an old Harman Kardon Adapt on Ebay. Any other ideas?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Jonny 290 posted:

I’ve noticed a marked improvement at thrift stores in my area over the last few months. We’re getting into the winter lull now, but I’m expecting Spring to be pretty good. I think a lot of the Covid hoarding is going to start being cleared out.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Jonny 290 posted:

I did get a Sony XDR-F1HD in box with remote a while back and it's kind of fun to tune in to the jazz station, even though HDRadio is generally poo poo bitrate.

That has been on my wishlist for awhile. Supposedly it has what might be the best digital tuner ever made in it. It is highly recommended to do the cooling mod to them since they basically bake themselves to death otherwise.

There aren't really great HDRadio options for the home and locally there are some interesting HD only stations. I keep knocking around the idea of getting a decent car deck to use for it but every guide I have seen to use them for non-auto use is a nightmare.

Djarum fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Nov 9, 2022

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Sangean makes some decent HD radio home tuners.

Even at "low" bitrates, HD can sound better than analog FM because there's no preemphasis needed to improve the apparrent SNR, so processing can be better.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Qwijib0 posted:

Sangean makes some decent HD radio home tuners.

Even at "low" bitrates, HD can sound better than analog FM because there's no preemphasis needed to improve the apparrent SNR, so processing can be better.

I have looked into the Sangean one and what I have seen from others is that it isn't that great. For whatever reason there wasn't really anyone making HD Radio tuners for the home since its introduction and a majority of the innovation and quality has gone into the automotive market. Hell the XDR-F1HD was Sony going "Hey maybe we should shove our car stereo tuner into a box and sell it."

I'll probably build something for a decent car stereo to tune HD Radio one day unless I can score a XDR-F1HD cheaply. It's way on the back burner though.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah, the greybeards argue over which one is better, the big Sangean or the Sony. The latter does run hot as helllll though, for sure.

Which reminds me - i'm considering putting a Noctua somewhere in that yamaha a700. 100wpc, but it's back-panel rated at 360w and has that class A mode, and you can tell. The heatsinks are massive, but it is a toasty boy. There are temp sensors on the final amp heatsinks, but still.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I just assume that the reason that features like automatic start/stop is considered so undesirable is that the people buying up the nostalgia bait were maybe 5-10 years old when that technology peaked, and never actually owned decent gear from the era. The people that did probably held onto it.

Most Millenial and younger GenX kids' formative experiences with vinyl included used, cheap hand-me-down or thrift-store stuff from either the cheaper ranges of brands like Sony and Pioneer, or cheaper brands like Akai, JVC, etc in high school or college - and the first thing to break on the cheaper tables I've had was the auto-return.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
I flip a lot of stereo equipment as a hobby, I set up starter systems for people. My absolutely favorite tables to sell are Technics SL-Q and D lines, I just sold a SL-D303 and a SL-Q202, I should have kept the Q202. Those tables almost always work and just need a quick 20min servicing and they will run like new.

I wish someone would sell something like that now., the SL-1500C is just so expensive.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

TooLShack posted:

I wish someone would sell something like that now., the SL-1500C is just so expensive.

Pana just launched a new SL-100C entry-level model in the US

only $995, includes a VM95C cart :awesomelon:

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
It's been a while since I posted any finds, since the pandemic and having a home life I was happy with reduced my treasure hunts quite a bit. I couldn't let this find pass me by though!

One of the true original characters of my city runs a diner and lunch place near where I work, and when looking him up, he said that he like selling his handpicked decor, so I made him an offer on this: A Tandberg Huldra 12!

It's been beatifully conserved under a thick layer of grill grease, so after a good cleaning, it came out spectacular! The pots will still need cleaning, but just look at it!

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

So shiny!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Amazing

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
How do ppl feel about TEKTON? I see a lot of people that absolutely swear by them and a lot of people that dismiss their stuff as little more than glorified Dayton Audio kit speakers covered in automotive paint

I happen to like their aesthetic and I don’t really care about who supplies the drivers/etc insomuch as they’re good and do their job, but like are they good speakers? Should you buy them?

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
So many speaker domes to push in!

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Ok Comboomer posted:

How do ppl feel about TEKTON? I see a lot of people that absolutely swear by them and a lot of people that dismiss their stuff as little more than glorified Dayton Audio kit speakers covered in automotive paint

I happen to like their aesthetic and I don’t really care about who supplies the drivers/etc insomuch as they’re good and do their job, but like are they good speakers? Should you buy them?

If you're curious, just buy a preowned pair so that you can sell them again without losing much money if you don't like them.

A bunch of them were featured in the latest Audiophiliac viewer system videos, so for what it's worth, audiophiles like them.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I've never heard any Tektons but I feel like they make way too many models of speaker to have designed them all properly.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

qirex posted:

I've never heard any Tektons but I feel like they make way too many models of speaker to have designed them all properly.

To be fair, a lot of those are like "half-size" or cut-down versions of bigger models. But yeah that was my thought too. Like why do you have five models of bigass array that all look like they approach the same job in fundamentally the same way?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Some other small companies like Salk do the same thing and are really well regarded but I can't help but getting a "guy who's really good at DIY speakers and has a friend with an auto paint booth" vibe. That said they've apparently been around for 30 years and will send you speakers that make sound so it's not like they're a scam.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

qirex posted:

Some other small companies like Salk do the same thing and are really well regarded but I can't help but getting a "guy who's really good at DIY speakers and has a friend with an auto paint booth" vibe. That said they've apparently been around for 30 years and will send you speakers that make sound so it's not like they're a scam.

Yeah, and I've heard nothing but good things about their customer service, which puts them ahead of a lot of those more "fly-by-night"/garage operations.

I think a big part of why they have so many models is that, I believe, they keep a few older lines around at lower price points.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I’ve heard a decent number of their speakers at various times. Personally, I’ve always found that there are better options in the price range.

Tekton works for people who want something different at the expense of current best design practices. This fits a LOT of audiophiles, especially those that want to use low-powered tube amps. They will play way louder than anyone should be listening.

But while they’re not my favorite, if you sit me in front of a pair of Double Impacts I WILL enjoy myself.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
What's the reasonable top of the line package in the DIY speaker world? It's something I'd like to check into but I don't want to over pay on bullshit.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Mederlock posted:

What's the reasonable top of the line package in the DIY speaker world? It's something I'd like to check into but I don't want to over pay on bullshit.

I had my eye on a bunch of Madisound/etc Fostex horn designs for a year or two pre-pandemic just because they’re weird and Japanese and a fun curiosity IMO, but I guess they put an indefinite pause on making them

I wouldn’t really call them competitive with premium commercially available finished speakers tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I'm not getting sound out of one side of my record player. I thought it was the receiver, but through process of elimination and replacing my receiver if narrowed it down to turntable.

It's an MCS 6700. I took it the case off and don't see any obviously broken wires. I really don't want to have to replace this thing. It's been amazing to me for 12+ years.

Is it common for a simple cartridge/stylus issue to cause this? It doesn't sound like the stylus is bad, aside from only being able to hear one speaker.

I'll try replacing the cartridge and/or stylus anyways, since this one is old enough.
I have a Shure M97x cartridge. Should start with just replacing the stylus first? What should I put in it?

What do I do if a new stylus doesn't fix it?