Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

cosmicjim posted:

I'm not getting sound out of one side of my record player. I thought it was the receiver, but through process of elimination and replacing my receiver if narrowed it down to turntable.

It's an MCS 6700. I took it the case off and don't see any obviously broken wires. I really don't want to have to replace this thing. It's been amazing to me for 12+ years.

Is it common for a simple cartridge/stylus issue to cause this? It doesn't sound like the stylus is bad, aside from only being able to hear one speaker.

I'll try replacing the cartridge and/or stylus anyways, since this one is old enough.
I have a Shure M97x cartridge. Should start with just replacing the stylus first? What should I put in it?

What do I do if a new stylus doesn't fix it?

Did you already check to make sure the leads going to the cartridge aren’t loose? It would only take one to shut down a channel. Did you swap RCA cables?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
look up the color codes for the wires going from the TT arm to the cartridge, and swap the left and right sides. if the problem follows, the cartridge or needle is f'd up. If it doesn't, swap the wires back and swap the RCA left/right going into your amp. if the problem follows, it's the turntable internal wiring or the RCA cable. if it doesn't follow, it's your amp or speaker

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Jonny 290 posted:

look up the color codes for the wires going from the TT arm to the cartridge, and swap the left and right sides. if the problem follows, the cartridge or needle is f'd up. If it doesn't, swap the wires back and swap the RCA left/right going into your amp. if the problem follows, it's the turntable internal wiring or the RCA cable. if it doesn't follow, it's your amp or speaker

Oh that's a good idea. I'll try that. I swapped the RCA cables and the problem followed the channel and not the rca.

Edit - It did follow the cartridge rewiring!

Edit - Good lord what are these prices?!

cosmicjim fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 20, 2022

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
My mom has a stack that is sure to make some of you laugh/piss off some audio people. She knows what its worth and has had things recapped.

Fallorn fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Nov 20, 2022

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Why would anyone laugh at that? I’d just want to see better airflow.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
Because its plugged into a amazon echo spot to stream music.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Fallorn posted:

Because its plugged into a amazon echo spot to stream music.

Get your mom a Wiim mini

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
I stream Amazon HD uncompressed into a good DAC/stereo. Honestly I doubt I could tell the difference even with compressed if it was set to high quality

E:

Ok Comboomer posted:

Get your mom a Wiim mini

Yeah! I just got mine and it's excellent. Basically 100$ for the same functionality as all kinds of WAY more expensive streamers

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005
The stupid ability for her to tell alex play this radio station or this type of music was a MASSIVE happiness improvement and actually got the stuff used because you didn't have to fiddle with poo poo.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Fallorn posted:

The stupid ability for her to tell alex play this radio station or this type of music was a MASSIVE happiness improvement and actually got the stuff used because you didn't have to fiddle with poo poo.

Haha I have several thousand bucks worth of audio gear in the living room but probably spend as much time listening to a stereo pair of nest audio speakers in the kitchen. Saying "hey Google Play..." any music ever recorded is some star trek poo poo and I love it.

The WiiM mini comboomer mentioned has a mic and Alexa functionality

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Amazon music completely sucks now without the paid subscription. I asked for Lucifer Sam the other day and was lucky enough to get it on the first try. The follow up song that was supposed to be “similar” was Bad To The Bone.

I thought that echo was a weird antenna at first lol. Missed that one.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

BigFactory posted:

Amazon music completely sucks now without the paid subscription. I asked for Lucifer Sam the other day and was lucky enough to get it on the first try. The follow up song that was supposed to be “similar” was Bad To The Bone.

I thought that echo was a weird antenna at first lol. Missed that one.

Yeah I use Spotify for kitchen listening with voice commands, Amazon is good for uncompressed/HD audio that's cheaper than tidal but the I don't bother with playlists/recommendations from them

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

large hands posted:

Yeah I use Spotify for kitchen listening with voice commands, Amazon is good for uncompressed/HD audio that's cheaper than tidal but the I don't bother with playlists/recommendations from them

“Alexa, play ‘Songs to hold your pee to”

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
I have passive floor speakers and a sonos surround set, is there any way to avoid paying way too much money to use my passive speakers with the sonos app, or am I on the hook for 800 bucks to buy a sonos amp?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
some habañero takes being dropped in the Ridicule Audiophiles thread rn

an iksar marauder posted:

I have passive floor speakers and a sonos surround set, is there any way to avoid paying way too much money to use my passive speakers with the sonos app, or am I on the hook for 800 bucks to buy a sonos amp?

Sonos Connect, or whatever it’s called (the $300 one that isn’t an amp)

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

Right, I heard the lack of support might be an issue with that one. I'll try finding one and else go for a Port (the non-amp successor, I think)

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Ok Comboomer posted:

some habañero takes being dropped in the Ridicule Audiophiles thread rn

I'm know Technics tables are good but I like the look of project tables better, so I think my wife is getting me a debut pro or X1 for Christmas to replace the essentials 2 she got me 7 years ago. I'll probably put the 2m blue that's on our current unit on it .

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Double check if the port works with surround speakers first. The amp isn’t bad and you may still be able to get the 30% trade on discount if you have older gear. There’s also refurbs.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

large hands posted:

I'm know Technics tables are good but I like the look of project tables better, so I think my wife is getting me a debut pro or X1 for Christmas to replace the essentials 2 she got me 7 years ago. I'll probably put the 2m blue that's on our current unit on it .

Oh totally agreed, I lived with a Debut Carbon for a few years that my ex owns, I’m just kind of lmao at the whole “the 1200 is not a good turntable for sound quality, Technics turntables aren’t good and have poor sound, people only like them for DJ use” take

like, for starters, Technics made dozens—hundreds, even—of models over like 60 years, at every single price point. If Technics is anything it’s historically the turntable company.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Nov 21, 2022

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

qirex posted:

Double check if the port works with surround speakers first. The amp isn’t bad and you may still be able to get the 30% trade on discount if you have older gear. There’s also refurbs.

Thanks, will do. My main annoyance is that I like my current amplifier’s retro look.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Picked up a Bluesound Powernode 2 at a thrift store. I've tried it on my Bose 301 Vs and Sony APM-22ESs. It pisses me off just how good this thing that is barely bigger than three DVD covers stacked actually is.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I’d probably have a Powernode already if I wasn’t so invested in Sonos. That said if I ever see a good enough deal on any of the NADs with streaming and Dirac I’ll probably jump on it.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
On the note of small, cheap audio gear that actually sounds good, I picked up this Fosi Audio TB10D after CheapAudioMan did a video on it.

I guess at first, it was pretty trashy (https://youtu.be/fkfu7KT_1BE). But the company actually listened to feedback and improved the unit significantly, and supposedly it was a serious contender : https://youtu.be/x6MSVFPUsdY

So, I bought one for myself, and I am mightily impressed! I had a spare set of Wharfedale Diamond III's that I picked up secondhand for cheap, and I wanted to give my wife a better option for music in our bedroom, which she uses to help her sleep and calm her anxiety. The sound is extremely clean, the power it packs is waaaaay more than I could ever use in my apartment without getting noise complaints, and the tone controls offer just enough customization to dial the sound in. For the $90 odd Canadian Kopeks I spent on it, I couldn't ask for more

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I'm looking at the tiny class D amps like the Fosi so i can be an indulgent rear end in a top hat and have tiny setups in the bathroom and kitchen and they seem really good for that, especially the ones with BT so i can just throw my phone at it

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
How do people feel about the SMSL pyramid amp?

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Jonny 290 posted:

I'm looking at the tiny class D amps like the Fosi so i can be an indulgent rear end in a top hat and have tiny setups in the bathroom and kitchen and they seem really good for that, especially the ones with BT so i can just throw my phone at it

Do it! I dunno about the bathroom because humidity/water issues, but it's definitely a solid idea for the porch/deck, kitchen, and the bedroom

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

Ok Comboomer posted:

How do people feel about the SMSL pyramid amp?

Did a quick google and couldn't find what you're talking about, do you have a link?

strtj
Feb 1, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

I have a tiny class D in the bathroom and I love it. Mounted a beater pair of Minimus 11 speakers near the ceiling and it's great for some shower tunes or my partner can listen to her audiobooks. Obviously I'm not looking for any sort of great sound quality in the bathroom, just something to get the job done.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

My father gave me his old setup a while ago which I repaired and installed in the loungeroom, absolutely love it. Everything needed a recap, some dry solder joints needed fixing and the output wires on the TT needed to be replaced but it's all 100% now. On top of that I got a new perspex cover fabricated for it cause the old smoky grey one was scratched to poo poo.

The turntable is a Denon DP57-L, Phono and amp is a Luxman C-02 and M-02, speakers are Acoustic Research AR91.

I also found out my father was an audiophile as he was telling me he bought directional speaker cables and I needed to make sure they were installed the correct way for them to sound their best.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Those Denon turntables are so cool, they use a magnetic or voice coil suspension system or something for the tonearm, right?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Honestly I don't know, this is really my introduction to turntables (I'm very lucky). I think it might be what they call Q-Damping?

Animale
Sep 30, 2009
That's cool, it looks like a spaceship.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the perfect turntable for beep boopy 70s synth albums

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
I think you guys might just might be who I have been looking for, but let me know if I’m crashing the party.

I am a DIY electronics and 3D printing nerd and am currently sketching out a small desktop speaker enclosure based on the same acoustic principle as the old Zenith Circle of Sound 360 speakers. The only thing I am missing is the basic math to design the cone for the little 3 inch midrange drivers I want to use.

If anyone could at least point me at a book or old Playboy article, I’d appreciate it.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Marsupial Ape posted:

I think you guys might just might be who I have been looking for, but let me know if I’m crashing the party.

I am a DIY electronics and 3D printing nerd and am currently sketching out a small desktop speaker enclosure based on the same acoustic principle as the old Zenith Circle of Sound 360 speakers. The only thing I am missing is the basic math to design the cone for the little 3 inch midrange drivers I want to use.

If anyone could at least point me at a book or old Playboy article, I’d appreciate it.

I have a set of these, but I'm not sure what measurements to provide besides diameter and height. Like I can't really measure the curve diameter. Do you just need better pictures?

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

wa27 posted:

I have a set of these, but I'm not sure what measurements to provide besides diameter and height. Like I can't really measure the curve diameter. Do you just need better pictures?

I’ve seen too many pictures, which is why I want to make my own. The only thing I don’t have is at a least some algebra to plug numbers into. I plan on doing several iterations, so it doesn’t have to be perfect, just in the ball park.

How do your Zenith speakers sound? I’ve never actually got to experience them in person.

And if there is an actual speaker building thread, feel free to point me that way.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Marsupial Ape posted:

I’ve seen too many pictures, which is why I want to make my own. The only thing I don’t have is at a least some algebra to plug numbers into. I plan on doing several iterations, so it doesn’t have to be perfect, just in the ball park.

How do your Zenith speakers sound? I’ve never actually got to experience them in person.

And if there is an actual speaker building thread, feel free to point me that way.

I went and checked my garage for these today and couldn't find them (lots of stuff has been buried since I moved into a much smaller place a year ago). But now that I've thought about them more, I think mine might be knockoffs of Zenith's design. I remember the cones are black, and they don't look like pictures I can find of any official Zenith model. They're also smaller than any official ones I can find, and they honestly don't sound great.

Sorry I can't help, but be sure to come back and post the finished product!

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Yeah definitely post what you come up with… I wish I remembered my integral calculus better to provide a formula. “Washers and cones” integral calculus might be something to search for…

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
I’ll definitely post whatever abomination I come up with. If I find the math I am looking for, I’ll share that immediately.

Easier question: assuming that I make the body of the enclosure cylinder the driver’s listed optimal cubic volume, would a passive radiator in the down firing position be worth the design trouble? I know these things have fairly weak low end and I willing to squeeze bass from an onion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I finished up a frankenspeaker build that I’ve been working on for awhile. My first time bi-amping and my first time using an active crossover. I’ve had some Altec horns for awhile that were kinda beat up, so I had them sandblasted and powder coated and paired up with matching driver, put in a cabinet with a 15” Altec woofer. I’d been collecting parts for awhile thinking that I’d try building a Voice of the Theatre or Onken cabinet for them, but then I found a Heathkit knockoff of a Valencia cabinet that somebody was selling empty locally which fit everything really well.

Holy poo poo. I feel like I had a good setup before but this is another level. I’m using a vintage solid state power amp for the woofers and a vintage tube amp for the horn drivers, but paired up with a contemporary Schiit preamp. It’s just in my garage, which has zero acoustic accommodations, and it’s shocking how good it is. Being able to play around with the crossover point dynamically is a game changer for finding the sweet spot. Now I need to figure out how to make all this look presentable enough to actually bring into the house. I seriously can’t believe how good this sounds.