Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ddogflex
Sep 19, 2004

blahblahblah

Wobbly Mike posted:

Ok so I won myself a marantz 2245 from Ebay and I now need to find some speakers. I want to spend between 150 and 200 for some bookshelf's does anyone have any suggestions?

I have these, I've had other people buy these, everyone who hears them loves them. They are loving awesome for the price:

http://www.av123.com//index.php?pag...emart&Itemid=37

If you aren't in a super hurry, you can usually get them b-stock for under $200:

http://www.av123.com//index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=16&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=130

If you go the AV123 route, try calling to order and ask if they have any of the ELTs b-stock that aren't listed online, or if they have any deals going. They've cut me some pretty sweet deals from calling before. I have the X-LS bookshelves, and the X-SLS encore towers too. Both really nice as well. Honestly I just love that company. I use the ELT monitors every day though, as they are on my desk. They totally work for a decent sized room though. A friend of mine has them in her living room.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni

Wobbly Mike posted:

Ok so I won myself a marantz 2245 from Ebay and I now need to find some speakers. I want to spend between 150 and 200 for some bookshelf's does anyone have any suggestions?

Those Infinity Beta 20s constantly get great reviews, the Infinity Primus p152 and p162 are also reputed to sound good and are priced quite decently. But the Beta 20's should be better.

Vanns has the Energy c-100 on for $108 down from $249.

Audio Adviser has Energy c-200 on for $149 down from $319.

STO sound and vision has Wharfedale 9.0 on for $124 down from $249 w/free shipping. All the wharfedales are on sale at STO it would appear.

If you are in Canada, BestBuy is having an instore pricing of the Infinity Primus p252 towers, that is the tower version of the p152 I linked above. For $149/pair which is a steal. Not a bookshelf I know.

Doc Spratley fucked around with this message at 09:04 on May 5, 2009

The Stygian
Feb 7, 2007

Exeggutor?
Hmmm, posted this in the AV Setup thread, probably should have gone in here. Ah well, crosspost it is.

Finally got my Rega P3-24. Kicks all sorts of rear end, couldn't be happier.

Doc Spratley
Mar 4, 2007
Miskatonic U. Alumni

The Stygian posted:

Hmmm, posted this in the AV Setup thread, probably should have gone in here. Ah well, crosspost it is.

Finally got my Rega P3-24. Kicks all sorts of rear end, couldn't be happier.

Swanky! :smugdog:

I notice an NAD phono amp in your rack, is that a Cambridge Audio phono pre sitting beside it and Cambridge Audio 640 below that?

The Stygian
Feb 7, 2007

Exeggutor?

Doc Spratley posted:

Swanky! :smugdog:

I notice an NAD phono amp in your rack, is that a Cambridge Audio phono pre sitting beside it and Cambridge Audio 640 below that?

Certainly is. Only the Cambridge gear is in use at the moment; I'll be putting together a seperate stereo system for a mate soonish with the NAD phono, Rotel amp and the old turntable that I had been using.

That Genuine Stank
Apr 25, 2004
I just picked up a pair of pioneer cs-a700's from goodwill. They have a multi amping feature that I don't quite understand. From what I have heard, multi amping means that you need some sort of active crossover network. I just read something about the speakers that gives me the impression that the crossover works even with using discrete amplifiers.

So far, I am pretty impressed with them considering they cost a whopping twenty bux. I do feel pretty lucky, I usually just find overpriced stuff there. I suppose the funky grill helped lower the price and ward off potential buyers as well. Thank goodness I checked to see if I could peel back the grill! I managed to find a pair of se-305 cans at the same time, for five bux!

Something odd that I noticed, I usually listen to music through my laptop and set the volume high on the receiver so I can control the volume with the laptop's controls. Sometimes I don't set it high enough and I end up running out of headroom. Normally I would just reach the top of the volume on my laptop and either raise it at the receiver, or just live with it. Now that I am using these speakers, if I get much past halfway on the laptop volume, its like it is adding noise, but only the midrange. It doesn't really bother me, because I can get more than enough volume, but it just seems really weird.

Tongsy
Aug 22, 2007
I have a repair question, if anyone is experienced in this:

I just came into a Luxman PX-101 turntable (Info), and it's acting a bit funky. If you press the "Play" button, it's my understanding that the arm should lift, slide over to the record, and come down. Instead, it will lift, slide over a half inch, then the turntable will stop and the arm will go back. I can move the arm with the < button that is on it, but it's slow to move over.

Has anyone had this player, or a similar type player with a similar problem? Is the player any good, at least to the point it's worth fixing?

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
A guy on Craigslist here is offering me a Technics SL1311 (same as the 1301, but in black) with an Audio Technica cartridge for $100. Is this a good deal? I'm leaning toward no, but I'm not an expert by any means.

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.
Amazon has the Technics 1200 on sale right now: http://www.amazon.com/Technics-SL-1200MK2-TECHNICS-Turntable/dp/B00006I5VX/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1242944702&sr=8-1

edit: Amazon itself is sold out.

BattleHork fucked around with this message at 12:41 on May 22, 2009

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

That's a good deal for sure!

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

BattleHork posted:

Amazon has the Technics 1200 on sale right now: http://www.amazon.com/Technics-SL-1200MK2-TECHNICS-Turntable/dp/B00006I5VX/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1242944702&sr=8-1

edit: Amazon itself is sold out.

$450 is a good price for a new one, but if you live in a big enough area you can shop around and get it for $250 on craigslist. I plan on doing so once I get my Marantz 2240 fixed up (the speakers periodically cut out).

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

crazyfish posted:

$450 is a good price for a new one, but if you live in a big enough area you can shop around and get it for $250 on craigslist. I plan on doing so once I get my Marantz 2240 fixed up (the speakers periodically cut out).

It was $330 when I posted that :P Then they sold out and it's back to their regular price.

William Lee
May 16, 2003

I guess it's about time for our William Tell routine.
Just took the plunge and grabbed one of Amazon's last 1200s at that price. Can anyone point me to a good resource on the table for things like tonearm balancing, modifications, etc.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Has anyone here had experience with the laser turntable? Top end turntables are priced way more than this thing, and it seems like this should be better than any of them.

BattleHork
Nov 1, 2005

MMMM, MANDOM.

vibrantglow posted:

Just took the plunge and grabbed one of Amazon's last 1200s at that price. Can anyone point me to a good resource on the table for things like tonearm balancing, modifications, etc.

Pibborando San posted some great stuff about the 1200 in this very thread (it's mostly on the first page.) I picked mine up from the Amazon sale along with the Denon DL-110 cartridge and the headshell he recommended from LPgear. Light years better than the garage sale Sony I was using.

A flurry of interesting vintage speakers and receivers popped up on my local Craigslist:
http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/ele/1199456900.html Fisher 201
http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/ele/1199454587.html Technics SA 5400X
http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/ele/1199451921.html Sansui 5050

http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/ele/1177686554.html Infinity 2000 II
http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/ele/1202997875.html Klipsch Heresy (several examples)
There was also someone that already sold a pair of Belle Klipsch speakers for $1500!

Those Infinties look especially interesting: http://www.davidsaudio.com/Infinity_2000II.pdf

BattleHork fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 3, 2009

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Demagogue posted:

Has anyone here had experience with the laser turntable? Top end turntables are priced way more than this thing, and it seems like this should be better than any of them.

I got their info packet thing and read a bunch about it. I think the general consensus is that it sucks.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

muckswirler posted:

I got their info packet thing and read a bunch about it. I think the general consensus is that it sucks.

The general consensus is it sucks because a laser beam is incapable of pushing dust and other record detritus out of the way as it reads the groove - Which a boring old diamond stylus does quite well.

This means that the sound from them need to be extensively filtered to get the pops and crackles out, and this goes against the purist ethos, and means they sound pretty average.

I'm sure they could come up with something like a stylus to clean the groove prior to the beam reading it, but that would eliminate one of the biggest advantages of the ELP, the non-contact and therefore no wear playback.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
Got a pretty nice shot of my 1200 the other day. I've been using it as my desktop and figured some of you might like it too

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Anyone familiar with the Sansui SR222? I don't know which version of it is for sale but reasonably cheap.

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007
Anyone know where I could get a dustcover for my sl-1200mk2?

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
KAB has them for $38 http://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/m1200.htm (bottom left)

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007
I won a Pioneer SX-770 blackface for really cheap on Ebay but am wondering on how to plug in the speakers since it has these strange speaker plug thing.

Here's a photo for reference:
http://www.oaktreeent.com/web_photos/Salvage_Hi_Fi/Pioneer_SX-770_Stereo_Receiver_salvage.jpg

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Peacebone posted:

I won a Pioneer SX-770 blackface for really cheap on Ebay but am wondering on how to plug in the speakers since it has these strange speaker plug thing.

http://www.oaktreeent.com/web_photos/Salvage_Hi_Fi/Pioneer_SX-770_Stereo_Receiver_salvage.jpg

Solder spade connectors on the ends and shove em in there.

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007

muckswirler posted:

Would something like this work?
http://www.amazon.com/Atlona-Spade-Connectors-1-Pair/dp/B000PER2CK/ref=sr_1_22?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1244651876&sr=1-22

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Peacebone posted:

Have a look at the very site you got the image of the amp from.

Click here for the full 648x429 image.

Scroll down to just past the bit about audio equalizers... The price includes shipping.

muckswirler
Oct 22, 2008

Nice find metaxus.

But 30 bucks? That's crazy. I meant the spade connectors that look like a leg of a large auto fuse. Which is what those look like.

Also, that site is kinda like "Goodwill speakers! Only $300! Get em while they last!"

andretti
Jun 28, 2008

muckswirler posted:

This is what I did, it works well enough.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Is modding it out of the question?

I have a 31 year old Sony amp that powers the speakers on my desk... It had tiny little screw terminals that were an absolute pain to use, so I replaced them with banana sockets.

By the looks of the back panel, the speaker terminal plates are held in with screws, so it doesn't look like a huge task to change them.

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

The fierce urgency of now
I'm having a really wacky problem with my turntable. It's a 70s model Sanyo, with a "brand new" (last 2 years) Shure cartridge. It sounds great, but sometimes, in between songs, right before a new song begins, you can hear about 0.5-1.0 seconds of the song very faintly BEFORE it starts. At first I thought it was an effect in the recording of the song I was listening to before I noticed it several times over multiple bands/records.

I have carefully calculated the tracking weight & anti-skate, but I don't have one of those protractor things to mess with the distance measurement on the cartridge itself...could that be the problem?

im a sausage
Nov 19, 2004

bacon! posted:

I'm having a really wacky problem with my turntable. It's a 70s model Sanyo, with a "brand new" (last 2 years) Shure cartridge. It sounds great, but sometimes, in between songs, right before a new song begins, you can hear about 0.5-1.0 seconds of the song very faintly BEFORE it starts. At first I thought it was an effect in the recording of the song I was listening to before I noticed it several times over multiple bands/records.

I have carefully calculated the tracking weight & anti-skate, but I don't have one of those protractor things to mess with the distance measurement on the cartridge itself...could that be the problem?

It might be "print through" on the master tape itself, where adjacent layers of tape's magnetic imprint imparts itself on the next layer (if the song was mastered on analogue equipment) or perhaps that vinyl has its own version of this, where physical disturbances (ie the signal on the cutting head) during the cutting process of the lacquer bleed through to adjacent grooves

bacon!
Dec 10, 2003

The fierce urgency of now

Hand of Doom posted:

It might be "print through" on the master tape itself, where adjacent layers of tape's magnetic imprint imparts itself on the next layer (if the song was mastered on analogue equipment) or perhaps that vinyl has its own version of this, where physical disturbances (ie the signal on the cutting head) during the cutting process of the lacquer bleed through to adjacent grooves

I dunno - I've noticed it on two newer records : Oh, Inverted World and Fleet Foxes. They are both printed by Sub Pop, but presumably they were mastered on digital equipment

Entone
Aug 14, 2004

Take that slow people!

bacon! posted:

I dunno - I've noticed it on two newer records : Oh, Inverted World and Fleet Foxes. They are both printed by Sub Pop, but presumably they were mastered on digital equipment

I've noticed the effect before on my cheapo realistic record player with Fleet Foxes, Rod Stewart's every picture tells a story, and a few more that I can't name off the top of my head.

Gargonovitch
Feb 23, 2008

I dunno how many years on this Earth I got left... I'm gonna get real WEIRD with it...
I've recently gotten into all this old stuff.

Receiver: Technics SA-400 (I love the way it looks, it's absolutely gorgeous.)
Speakers: 2 Technics SB-X3
Phono: Akai AP-D40

It's not much, but it can pretty much shake the house apart while still sounding great, and the speakers look badass.

Phillyt
Dec 2, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump
I have a Sony PS-FL7II. A lot of my records will always skip at least once when listening. Is this a symptom of my records or record player? I really have no idea of what to do for record player maintenance. I replaced the stylus a week ago and it still skips. Is my record player damaging my records (probably my biggest fear!) or do I just need to clean my records? I was planning on doing the record cleaning but I need to get a job to afford the brush and fluid and stuff, plus new sleeves.

Owsla
Aug 31, 2003

Where are my bitches?
It could be something on the surface, could be damaged spots on the record. In a pinch I would try this cheap record cleaning method I found in ebay guides.

Phillyt
Dec 2, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump

Owsla posted:

It could be something on the surface, could be damaged spots on the record. In a pinch I would try this cheap record cleaning method I found in ebay guides.

Ah ok. I will try that. Thanks. Is there any way a record player itself could be damaging a record? I'm always paranoid about this but I highly doubt that is happening.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Phillyt posted:

Ah ok. I will try that. Thanks. Is there any way a record player itself could be damaging a record? I'm always paranoid about this but I highly doubt that is happening.

Other than cleaning, make sure the stylus tracking weight is set correctly.

Too heavy, and records will wear quicker, too light, and they'll skip easily.

The "normal" tracking weight is about 1.5 to 1.8g, but your cartridge manufacturer should tell you exactly what yours should be set to.

Don't forget the anti-skate either, if your turntable has it... It's normally set to read the same as the tracking weight.

Phillyt
Dec 2, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump

metaxus posted:

Other than cleaning, make sure the stylus tracking weight is set correctly.

Too heavy, and records will wear quicker, too light, and they'll skip easily.

The "normal" tracking weight is about 1.5 to 1.8g, but your cartridge manufacturer should tell you exactly what yours should be set to.

Don't forget the anti-skate either, if your turntable has it... It's normally set to read the same as the tracking weight.

Oh. I'll look into this. Thanks for the advice. I probably did not set the tracking correctly and I have no idea if my turn table has anti-skate. I am pretty sure it was manufactured in the 1980's.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
What do you guys use to hold your records? I stole a milk crate from work today but it's about 1/2" too small :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phillyt
Dec 2, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump
If you want a simple solution, you can try Sleeve City Ultimate LP Storage Box. They look pretty cheap and effective.