Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
love when people take functioning antiques and historical tech, don’t bother learning anything about them, and hack them up FoR tHe AeStHeTiC

brb, gonna go take the worthless guts out of my Yamaha CR-2040 and replace them with a $25 Anker Bluetooth speaker stuck to the inside of the case with double-sided tape

my gf’s insta followers are gonna go nuts for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

wa27 posted:

That Kenwood cassette deck is pretty cool. I always liked decks with the lighted recessed mechanism.

That's a beautiful Victrola, and although I'd hate to see it gutted, I'm a firm believer in "Let people do whatever they want with their own stuff". I'll say it seems like a waste to put in a BSR changer in it. Maybe you can find a nicer turntable at a garage sale this summer (not that it couldn't be swapped out later, I suppose).

Good point on the BSR, I grabbed it because it was available and cheap and I knew it would fit in the victrola without issue (and easily dropped in since it's a self contained mechanism plopped onto a plinth). Space was the main consideration there... I think there should be space to orient a wider table in there sideways, but that seems kinda weird too. There's still plenty of opportunity to change the plan, since I haven't done anything destructive whatsoever.

The mechanism in there right now is pretty toasted, and if I'm doing the work to make it functional then I want to use it regularly. If I simply replace with a comparable phonograph, I don't see it getting used much... and that would be a big shame. The enclosure is in nice shape for the most part, it's just the guts that are borked.

And ya, the Kenwood has great vibes. If I can fab up some matching wood enclosures (another project to add to the someday pile) I think it would look super good stacked with my Marantz receiver.

Ok Comboomer posted:

love when people take functioning antiques and historical tech, don’t bother learning anything about them, and hack them up FoR tHe AeStHeTiC

brb, gonna go take the worthless guts out of my Yamaha CR-2040 and replace them with a $25 Anker Bluetooth speaker stuck to the inside of the case with double-sided tape

my gf’s insta followers are gonna go nuts for it

ya lol that ain't functional rn

Just for you, I'll keep my eye open for a SL-1200 and SX1080 to hack into the case

The Science Goy fucked around with this message at 20:52 on May 11, 2022

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

The Science Goy posted:

whoa, I didn't know those flipper styli existed, that's cool. Might be useful for what will follow here...

So I decided to try fixing up some vintage gear, because I need another hobby that requires modestly expensive tools and lots of fiddly components to store. There were a few good repair candidates at a recent garage sale, so I now have this pile of gear to refurb along with my on-hand JVC receiver and main vinyl playback Marantz receiver:

I'm starting the learning process with my known-working JVC because if I mess up, it'll be obvious since it was previously working fine. The service manual was available, and it's not too complex so it should be a good starter project. I've got a bunch more left to do, but the electrolytics and iffy transistors on the power supply board all went smoothly and it still works properly when powered up, hooray

Once I've gotten through at least the one receiver, hopefully I can transplant the BSR turntable from the first pic into a victrola that I picked up recently - I don't forsee using the victrola in its original form, but it could be a badass little mini-console if I can swap out the guts with a turntable, amplifier, and some speakers where the horn currently resides, maybe a Bluetooth module, etc.

Hopefully I can get the victrola Frankenstein project wrapped up in the next few months - lots of other stuff taking my time and energy, but I think this could be a nice finished product.

Which makes you a fellow BSR haver! EEeeeeeyyy, I'm rippin' 78s 'ere!

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

I'm going to ask a dumb question or two. I am new to this whole audio that is fancier than a single bluetooth speaker thing. I apologize in advance!

I am upgrading my turntable from a lame amazon 1forone thing that came with some small speakers to what appears to be a very decent turntable (Fluance RT85). I also bought some powered speakers (Kanto Living RY6) to go with it as I didn't want to get more complicated with a receiver and all that.

If, in the future, I want to go the receiver route so I can hook my TV and whatnot up to speakers, can I use the powered speakers for that or would I need to swap them out for passive speakers?

Thank you for humoring me.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

spinst posted:

I'm going to ask a dumb question or two. I am new to this whole audio that is fancier than a single bluetooth speaker thing. I apologize in advance!

I am upgrading my turntable from a lame amazon 1forone thing that came with some small speakers to what appears to be a very decent turntable (Fluance RT85). I also bought some powered speakers (Kanto Living RY6) to go with it as I didn't want to get more complicated with a receiver and all that.

If, in the future, I want to go the receiver route so I can hook my TV and whatnot up to speakers, can I use the powered speakers for that or would I need to swap them out for passive speakers?

You could use the tape-out to go to powered speakers. Or maybe modern receivers have a "line out" instead? I'm not sure about that. Basically you just need a line-level output. You wouldn't use the normal speaker hookups.

Note that you would still control the volume with the speakers, which might be kind of annoying for TV use.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

spinst posted:

You could....as wa27 says, you could run them via a line out or tape out......but that would kind of defeat the point of having a receiver at all, and you would arguably be better served with some kind of input switcher or DAC that lacked any amplifier/preamp section, etc depending on what it was that you were trying to run to your powered speakers (ie HDMI, TOSlink, RCA, Bluetooth, etc).

Ideally, for the most part, if you’re getting a receiver it’s because you want to use the amplifier inside of it to power some passive speakers.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

spinst posted:

You'd be looking for receivers with preamp outputs to use those speakers, but you can hook your TV up up to those speakers via the optical port. I'd much prefer to keep it simpler if you can.

If the speakers don't come with a remote (I didn't see one in the pics), consider getting different speakers if you're still within the return period. Friend of mine got the Klipsch Fives and they're pretty nice + have a remote + have a phono preamp.

A nice universal remote (or the ability to use your TV remote to control speaker volume) with powered speakers that have remote control capability will make you a lot happier than a big bulky receiver.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Has anyone successfully figured out how to disable the automatic shutoff of a Dayton SPA500 plate amp? I just bought a sub someone built with one and the thing doesn’t wake back up unless the signal is massive.

It’s this: https://www.parts-express.com/Dayton-Audio-SPA500-500W-Subwoofer-Plate-Amplifier-300-807

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated - my google-fu is failing me. If I can’t figure it out I guess I’ll dig out one of my Crown K2’s but I’d rather not.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

RIP Paul Walker posted:

You'd be looking for receivers with preamp outputs to use those speakers, but you can hook your TV up up to those speakers via the optical port. I'd much prefer to keep it simpler if you can.

If the speakers don't come with a remote (I didn't see one in the pics), consider getting different speakers if you're still within the return period. Friend of mine got the Klipsch Fives and they're pretty nice + have a remote + have a phono preamp.

A nice universal remote (or the ability to use your TV remote to control speaker volume) with powered speakers that have remote control capability will make you a lot happier than a big bulky receiver.

The speakers do come with a remote (and a phono preamp). I like the universal remote and optical port idea!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I dug this thing out of my mother's attic:

It's an Eico Cortina 3070. Assuming it was cleaned up and could be turned on but couldn't otherwise be verified (as none of us are audio geeks), what do we do with it?

Same question for a Dynatuner FM-3 and a Technics SL-BL3 turntable.

Thank you!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I dug this thing out of my mother's attic:

It's an Eico Cortina 3070. Assuming it was cleaned up and could be turned on but couldn't otherwise be verified (as none of us are audio geeks), what do we do with it?

Same question for a Dynatuner FM-3 and a Technics SL-BL3 turntable.

Thank you!

Probably a serviceable integrated amp. Looks hard to kill. The technics is a cool linear tracker if it works.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
Pure Christmas vibes with the new headshell and new cartridge.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

DoesNotCompute posted:

What’s the cartridge?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

DoesNotCompute posted:

Looks like an ork:orks:

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

BigFactory posted:

What’s the cartridge?

Hana EL, it’s a nice little MC cart but needs weird loading (>400ohm), thankfully my preamp is a DIY based on an RJM board so it was just a matter of swapping some resistors. Very happy with the sound coming from a 2m blue.

Also, “for the horde”

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
After 7 years of using LSR305s I only just realized they sound a lot better when hooked on balanced line outs.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Palladium posted:

After 7 years of using LSR305s I only just realized they sound a lot better when hooked on balanced line outs.

I wish mine lasted that long, the tweeter on one of mine stopped working right after they were discontinued for the mkii

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Brain Issues posted:

I wish mine lasted that long, the tweeter on one of mine stopped working right after they were discontinued for the mkii

I also bought a pair of mk2s for $230 in 2020 and the original pair is now at living room duty hooked to a SMSL DO100 streaming from LDAC bluetooth.

Probably placebo but I find the low bass on both is uncomfortably boomy with unbalanced inputs.

I also have a pair of iLoud MMs on my second PC desk which I highly recommend for people who wants good sound on a space constrained setup. It even produces more bass than the 305s with LF -3dB trim off, lmao.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jun 2, 2022

wildemere
Nov 19, 2013
The BSR stylus is reversible, The peg flips through 180 degrees Its probably a 78 stylus on the other side

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I swear this link doesn't give me commission or anything, but god drat really everyone should have one. I love using it to blast some final hairs off my vinyl before I spin

https://smile.amazon.com/Giottos-AA...&sr=8-3&x=0&y=0

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Is this the right thread for questions on repairing vintage gear? I've got a Marantz 2230 receiver that I want to give some love. It mostly works ok, but I get really loud static and pops when adjusting the volume. I used some Deoxit spray a few years back that seemed to work for the most part, but it gradually came back and is worse now than ever.

I've been tempted to order one of the refresh kits on ebay like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/313853715213 but not sure shot-gunning parts is the right approach.

I ordered a new walnut enclosure for it a few days ago, so want to get it all sorted out before that arrives.

Enos Cabell fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jun 21, 2022

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I swear this link doesn't give me commission or anything, but god drat really everyone should have one. I love using it to blast some final hairs off my vinyl before I spin

https://smile.amazon.com/Giottos-AA...&sr=8-3&x=0&y=0

Thanks for this! I just got mine in yesterday and been using it to clean dust out of my minidisc players.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

Is this the right thread for questions on repairing vintage gear? I've got a Marantz 2230 receiver that I want to give some love. It mostly works ok, but I get really loud static and pops when adjusting the volume. I used some Deoxit spray a few years back that seemed to work for the most part, but it gradually came back and is worse now than ever.

I've been tempted to order one of the refresh kits on ebay like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/313853715213 but not sure shot-gunning parts is the right approach.

I ordered a new walnut enclosure for it a few days ago, so want to get it all sorted out before that arrives.

Yeah deoxit will need to be reapplied every few years, especially if the pot is super nasty to begin with and if you don't regularly exercise it.

On older gear that is really nasty I will generally start with QD electronics cleaner then crank the pot up and down about 20 times, then repeat then switch to Dexoit and repeat the apply crank up and down 20 times and then repeat to flush out as much as I can with QD before applying the deoxit. Generally after a few yearly cleanings you will get the pots clean enough that they can go longer before needing to be cleaned again.

The only thing you should avoid with deoxit is the tuner gangs which look like fins that will rotate when you adjust the tuner.

Technically they make a separate product called fader lube for the balance control fader but I have always used just regular deoxit on my marantz balance and EQ faders.

Some things like power switched will get burned up over time from use so if possible just hook everything into a PowerBar and plug that into a switched outlet or a smartplug and use that to turn your system on.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

Enos Cabell posted:

Where did you order that sexy beast? :swoon:

I want to make an enclosure for my 2238 but I don't know if I can get the grill right, and that looks like a near perfect reproduction in the pic.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

my turn in the barrel posted:

Yeah deoxit will need to be reapplied every few years, especially if the pot is super nasty to begin with and if you don't regularly exercise it.

On older gear that is really nasty I will generally start with QD electronics cleaner then crank the pot up and down about 20 times, then repeat then switch to Dexoit and repeat the apply crank up and down 20 times and then repeat to flush out as much as I can with QD before applying the deoxit. Generally after a few yearly cleanings you will get the pots clean enough that they can go longer before needing to be cleaned again.

The only thing you should avoid with deoxit is the tuner gangs which look like fins that will rotate when you adjust the tuner.

Technically they make a separate product called fader lube for the balance control fader but I have always used just regular deoxit on my marantz balance and EQ faders.

Some things like power switched will get burned up over time from use so if possible just hook everything into a PowerBar and plug that into a switched outlet or a smartplug and use that to turn your system on.

Thanks for this. I'll get some QD cleaner ordered and give the pots a good working over. Fingers crossed that might be all I really need to do.

The Science Goy posted:

Where did you order that sexy beast? :swoon:

I want to make an enclosure for my 2238 but I don't know if I can get the grill right, and that looks like a near perfect reproduction in the pic.

I found it on Etsy from a seller called Marantzwoodcase https://www.etsy.com/shop/Marantzwoodcase in Serbia. He didn't have the model I needed in stock, but was able to build a few within a week or so of messaging.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Double post, but I found my 10 year old can of Deoxit so spent a few hours this evening cleaning up the 2230. Happy to say it sounds perfect now, several albums in and no static at all adjusting the volume or any other knobs. I do have a few lamps out, so I ordered a replacement kit for those and will replace the vellum paper when I'm done.

my turn in the barrel
Dec 31, 2007

I need another Turntable like I need a hole in my head but I saw this beautiful Yamaha YP-B4 popup on my lunchbreak for $95

Met the guy in a CVS parking lot on my way home from work and noticed he had the matching CR-620 receiver in his trunk as well. Asked him how much and he said $95 same as the Turntable.

He said he'd do $180 for the pair....

Got them home and hooked them up to some Klipsch Synergy B2 bookshelves I found for $5 at a garage sale a few weeks back.

Turntable works fine and has an Ortofon FF 15 XE MkII cart. Will probably spring for a new belt and lube the bearings and autoreturn mech just to be safe.

The receiver needs a heavy dose of Deoxit but works great.

Both are in amazing condition, seller also had a pair of infinity QB speakers listed for $95 but he didn't have those with and I'm running out of money and space for speaker cabinets.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Nice score! That's a great looking set.

My replacement lamps showed up yesterday. Swapped the fuse style for light blue led. I'll need to desolder and replace the two incandescent bulbs next to the meter for the stereo indicator next. All the selector bulbs still work, so I'm not going to bother re-soldering those. After that just need to finish cleaning and replace the vellum.

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The terrible secret of space... :stonk: the Mods, they knew!

I don't know if I'm doing this correctly any more.

Found a Nad pp4 to hook the Technics up to the Marantz 7.1.

I think I found a matching Parasound preamplifier for my amp so I can fix my "having a surround system" problem.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
That is the gooniest fuckin' room on earth but I respect it. Also anyone that hasn't had first gen lascalas would probably assume that rinky dink plastic organizer would be rattling like crazy but the top surface really is solid as hell even at "ear bleed" volume.

Game-Blouses
Dec 18, 2008
Just came across this thread. I was posting my prior questions in the vinyl thread. Apologies if some of this is redundant for people also in that thread.

Recently, I was fortunate enough to have my dad’s B&O Beogram 2400 turntable repaired to working condition. I was able to clean up his Harman Kardon 430 receiver myself. I’ll probably get that recapped at some point, but that’s for another day. Obligatory crappy picture:

I currently have the receiver hooked up to some passive Boston Acoustics A25 bookshelf speakers. I was just gifted a pretty large Klipsch subwoofer. Wanted to check here to see if I could “add” this to the setup.

Here is the back of the receiver and woofer for reference:

I’m a noob when it comes to this stuff, so I’m not sure what my options are, if any. I’m happy with how this sounds as is, but free is free!

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
Take the speaker outputs forum the HK and run them to the high level inputs on the sub. Then run the high level outs on the sub to your bookshelf speakers. Note that you'll need to tweak the pass filter on the sub to your liking.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I'd probably use the 2nd set of speaker outputs so you can switch the sub on and off with the receiver controls. You're all good tho, should be a kickass system if it's all working properly. Try to avoid the rabbit hole :)

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

RIP Paul Walker posted:

I'd probably use the 2nd set of speaker outputs so you can switch the sub on and off with the receiver controls. You're all good tho, should be a kickass system if it's all working properly. Try to avoid the rabbit hole :)

A large amount of vintage amplifiers cannot handle channel A and Channel B being run simultaneously, even if it's just being piped to a subwoofer. I've tried on multiple units and the sound quality usually suffers. Just use the high level in/out on the sub off of Channel A. That's what it's for.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
Yeah, that's not a bad idea. I just couldn't tell if using the 2nd set changed the ohms the amp operated at or if that writing means it can take anything on any output between 8 and 16 ohms.

The advantage of using the method I suggested is that you can use the pass filter on the sub to dial in the signal going to your bookshelf speakers. Using the other method would be great if you live in an apartment and are worried about pissing off neighbors.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
It's as simple as walking to the sub and flipping the switch so. Should still pass through the audio

Game-Blouses
Dec 18, 2008
I found an online manual for the HK receiver and it looks like you can run two sets of speakers as long as they are 8 ohms or higher. I confirmed the bookshelf speakers are 8 ohms, but can’t find the info for the subwoofer. Assuming since it’s powered, it’s higher? Either way, sounds like I just need a little more speaker wire to make it work.

TheGoonspiracist
Jul 24, 2002

The terrible secret of space... :stonk: the Mods, they knew!

DoesNotCompute posted:

That is the gooniest fuckin' room on earth but I respect it. Also anyone that hasn't had first gen lascalas would probably assume that rinky dink plastic organizer would be rattling like crazy but the top surface really is solid as hell even at "ear bleed" volume.

The plastic bin is just there while I organize the cables and goony computer stuff.

Not pictured are the Magnapans that I've got set up as the surround channels for the PS5.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Game-Blouses posted:

Just came across this thread. I was posting my prior questions in the vinyl thread. Apologies if some of this is redundant for people also in that thread.

Recently, I was fortunate enough to have my dad’s B&O Beogram 2400 turntable repaired to working condition. I was able to clean up his Harman Kardon 430 receiver myself. I’ll probably get that recapped at some point, but that’s for another day. Obligatory crappy picture:

What was the process like on getting the Beogram repaired? I inherited a Beogram 8002 from my father in law, it's huge and beautiful but it sat in an Oklahoma garage for 20 years so I'm pretty sure it's gonna need some work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Game-Blouses
Dec 18, 2008

Mirthless posted:

What was the process like on getting the Beogram repaired? I inherited a Beogram 8002 from my father in law, it's huge and beautiful but it sat in an Oklahoma garage for 20 years so I'm pretty sure it's gonna need some work

I took it to a shop in Pennsylvania that specializes in vintage audio equipment. I was charged $60 / hour for labor at 2.5 hours total. Luckily, the cartridge was good. The platter didn’t sit right, so he had to fabricate new parts for that. The wood veneer was peeling so he stripped that and painted it black. Finally, the springs that worked the dust cover were busted and the dust cover was cracked. So he just removing the springs entirely and replaced the dust cover with a donor one. I have to manually put it on and off, but that doesn’t bother me. I’m sure he cleaned up some stuff on the inside, but he didn’t mention any major repairs there.