Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

ddogflex posted:

Also, holy poo poo, Signal Path has the Decco for $500 right now! http://signalpathint.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=1&Itemid=170

That is a great price. Also, go with Rosewood. It looks classy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

ddogflex posted:

You know what I want to know, why is it always loving Mexican radio stations? I've never had some bullshit pick up a rock station or anything like that. :tinfoil:

When's the last time you listened to an AM station?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Wombot posted:

So the dude has no idea what it is, the only numbers on the back are P1.2 NC500.40.

Any idea?

Pro-Ject 1.2. Good entry-level table, especially if you upgrade the cartridge.

For $100 it's a steal. Assuming it's in good condition, I'd jump on it.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

iamthejeff posted:

Plays fine, but I have to sit on the sofa across the room and ask that nobody walks by.

A wall shelf would likely solve this problem.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

BK Dymacel posted:

Does anybody have experience with Zu Audio speakers? Specifically Druid or Essence?
I'm looking for full range speakers so I can forgo the need of a sub.

I wish I could say I did. I'm working on trying to get to the rocky mountain audio show this year and zu is on my short list of companies to check out. I've heard great things about them from a few people I trust. I've got a feeling that the druid is overall the better speaker for the money, but I obviously can't make that judgment without sitting and listening myself.

If you have the funds, why not order a pair and give them a shot? The 60-day return policy would give you plenty of time to try them out in your own space.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

BK Dymacel posted:

The Druid probably is a better 'bang for the buck', but I've heard it is lacking in the lower end frequencies and that the Essence is basically a Druid with a fuller range.

I'd be really curious to see the frequency response for the two speakers. They both (at least now) use the same full-range driver and share the same basic design, with the Essence having a larger cabinet. Zu's specs only claim a 5 Hz difference, but maybe the cabinet design is causing some sort of bass bump in the Essence that gives it fuller bass. Zu's design philosophy tends towards slightly exaggerated bass, so I would imagine that might be the case.

Either way, I'm really interested in getting a chance to listen to them, and since I'm moving ~35 miles away from their factory next month, hopefully I'll get that chance soon.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

BK Dymacel posted:

Does anybody have experience with Zu Audio speakers? Specifically Druid or Essence?
I'm looking for full range speakers so I can forgo the need of a sub.

You don't have PMs enabled, so I hope you're still reading the thread. I'm in Utah now and am planning on making a trip up to Zu in the next few weeks for a listening session. Anything in particular you're interested in having me check out?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Ghumbs posted:

Picked these up during the Black Friday sale, which ends tomorrow. I should be getting them in about a month. They have extremely polarized reviews, so I'm glad there's a 60 day auditioning period with free shipping both ways. I'll post my thoughts in here when I get them.

Very nice. I'm currently using a pair of Soul Superflys that I really like. Right now I'm saving up money to pick up a good tube amp. I'm thinking of going with a classic Dynaco ST-70, since current-production tube amplifiers seem to be exceptionally overpriced.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Paperweight posted:

Do you have the know how or skills to refurbish an old one?

Unfortunately I do not. I'm capable of putting together a kit, mainly because I'm a perfectionist when it comes to assembly, but I'll probably go with one that has already been refurbished/upgraded. I really like the look of the ones handled by Will Vincent (Autospec on audiogon), and considering that his cost is less than $200 more than most of the kids, I'd say it's worthwhile.

The problem right now is saving up the $800 I'd need for the amp, but I'm working on it.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

atomicthumbs posted:

here is a sneak preview of a very small portion of the stuff I have to work through

This makes me so jealous. I'm scouring thrift stores right now trying to build two good vintage systems for my kids. I'm finding nothing, and here you have great stuff that people are just tossing.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

My 11-year-old NAD CD player finally died :( The motor driving the laser assembly has gone out, and repairing it would take more time/money/skill than I have or am willing to pay for.I was really hoping to get a few more years out of it, but I guess it's finally time to get the computer-based playback system up and running.

Ugh, and I just looked. Only about half of my CD collection has been ripped properly. This is going to suck.

TheMadMilkman fucked around with this message at 07:02 on May 24, 2014

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

ShaneB posted:

So basically that's it. An integrated amp, a DAC if necessary, and speakers that can get down low without being huge. Super huge sound isn't that important, but I'd like it to sound great of course. Again, I'd be glad to go used and get slightly older gear for less money.

They're new, but the Yamaha line of integrated amps fits your requirements, including a phono stage and DAC (but not USB in the lower models):

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/audio-visual/hifi-components/amps/

I'm having a harder time thinking about what floorstanders might be physically smaller than your Paradigms and still sound good. The only thing I can come up with offhand is the Totem Arro, which can be found used for around $700-800. Depending on the room/placement and music choice, though, they might need a subwoofer.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Ah, you're in Portland. I have no idea why, but that place has huge amounts of vintage gear floating around. You should be able to get better than average prices.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Do you need a remote?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

The schiit sys would be an option. Small, two inputs, a volume control, and $49.

But if the TV has a variable line out, then ya, it should be possible to use that.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

There's also US Audio Mart. My understanding, though, is that eBay and Audiogon are the best options. Audiogon used to be better, but people still search it.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I have a friend who bought a mechanical tally counter and keeps it by his turntable. He clicks it every time he plays a side. Very easy way of tracking play time.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Yes. I bought a pair for each of my kids and have been quite happy with them.

If you want a step up, the Elac B5 was designed by the same guy and is also getting rave reviews. They're $230 a pair on Amazon.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

That's a very, very nice looking PAS-3. It is tubed and you will want to get it checked out. It will likely need to be recapped and cleaned. Once done, though, it will last forever.

If you posted that picture over at audiokarma.org people would be drooling.

It's possible that the amp was a Dynaco ST-70. It had a few poor design choices, which could have easily caused it to fail. If you could find the amp, they're easily repaired and modified.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Stan Taylor posted:

I think it's the same brand as the pre-amp. It has the same kind of wood case thing.It looks really cool

This is enough for me to say you should grab it. Finding good condition gear with the wood intact is getting harder and harder. I'm not saying they're worth a lot, but they're worth grabbing, repairing, and enjoying.

Shame you can't grab the speakers. I'm personally not big on the old bbc monitors myself, but they are good, and it would be sweet to have the full stereo intact.

Skip the tape deck imo.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Well I was correct to assume that it was an ST-70.

Chances are the rectifier tube went out. It was over stressed in the power supply circuit, and it is a relatively uncommon tube. It is the weak point in the amp.

The best option is to replace the power supply board with a modern replacement, either solid state or tubed. There are a lot of great options.

The actual amplifier portion of that design is really good.

I know you have a guy looking at it, but posting over at audiokarma.org would be a good idea. They can point out what steps to take to make sure the gear you picked up lasts a lifetime.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Dr.Caligari posted:

Next question, if I could pick up a set of used Vandersteen model 1 speakers for $225, would it be good deal? I know the speakers are internally mounted in some way, so I don't think visually inspecting them is possible (correct?) ,so is there anyway to tell if these things have been put threw the ringer?

Which version?

The 1b used foam surrounds, and at this point are old enough that I would be worried about the surrounds being rotted.

The newer 1c would be a pretty good deal for $225 if the required stands are included. I had a pair for 6 years, driven by a NAD C320BEE, which has pretty similar power output to your Yamaha. It was more than adequate to drive the speakers.

As for sound, the 1c is very neutral and natural sounding, provided that you're sitting within the expected listening window. They do not excel at low-level detail, and do not play particularly loud. Outside of orchestral and hard-rock pieces, I thought they handled most types of music well.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

a dingus posted:

Those console stereos turn up all the time on Craigslist​ and I'm sure it's the same with whatever the Canadian equivalent is. IMO the 60s era Magnavox consoles, especially the tube driven ones are the better kind as far as consoles go. The cabinets are actually nice and sturdy and sound OK (for a console). The amp inside those kinds go for a couple hundred bucks if you pull and restore them to standalone units.

Fishers also sound decent overall, have good amplifiers (great if you luck into a higher-end model), and have the advantage of having almost all of their service manuals online.

I inherited a Custom Futura V from my grandparents, and intend to keep it for life.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Thanks for the help guys.

It's certainly better than no music.

"Dorm room, circa 1982."

I love everything about this.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

It's rumble from the turntable, usually the bearing.

You can buy rumble filters or get a phono preamp with one built in.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

I have stands that will raise them about a foot higher off the floor, but I prefer the way they sound on the ground.

I, too, enjoy boundary reinforcement gain.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Framboise posted:

That's exactly what's happening! I pulled out each one and for both channels, the bass was great and the sound was so much richer.

So it's something in my headshell, then?

Ya, sounds like two of the headshell wires are flipped. It’s an easy fix (just swap either the two right or left channel wires) but be careful. They’re extremely delicate.

If you’re curious to the why of this happening, most LPs have summed bass channels, so everything below a certain frequency is in mono. It’s not strictly required, but it supposedly makes playback more consistent on more decks.

Since one of the channels appears to be wired out of phase, the mono signal from each speaker is the exact opposite of the other, causing the sound to cancel out.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Framboise posted:

Huh, interesting. I didn't know it worked like that. (Then again I'm new to all of this so I didn't really know anything at all.)

So looking at the four wires upside down:
green blue
red white

and connecting to the other end:
blue green
white red

So it looks like they were flipped on both sides? This may have to wait, I don't really have a way to pull these out carefully. Should they just directly go into their identical outlet?

Huh. If both are flipped it shouldn’t cause an issue, since phase would be flipped for both channels.

Is there any chance that one of your speaker cables is connected wrong?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Electric Bugaloo posted:

gently caress you. :)

And gently caress everybody who suggested all that other poo poo like headshell wires before asking about the speakers.
:rolleyes:

I say this with love, but come on you guys.

To be fair, I hadn’t read the other posts where he had moved everything to a new stand, etc. if you just replace the turntable and now everything sounds wrong, it’s probably the turntable.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Plus there’s a ton of info out there on them. Make a post on Audiokarma and you’ll have all the help you need within minutes. The people who like Advents REALLY like them.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I had a bifrost/saga/vidar combo for a while. The vidar is the single worst amp I’ve ever dealt with. Terrible transformer hum as well as a 60 hz hum though the speakers. The ergonomics of their gear also got annoying.

I sold it all and bought a Parasound P6 and A23+. It cost a good bit more, but I’ve had zero issues with them.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

What made it more frustrating was that it was consistent across 2 different amps. The first one they sent me got recalled due to a potential issue, and the new one they sent had the same problems.

That said, I haven't seen many people online who have had the same problems that I did. You could always order one and return it if it doesn't work out. The 5% restocking fee is pretty reasonable. I've got a friend who has a Freya in his 2nd system (dude has too much money and is constantly buying new gear just to try it) and it's been great for him. I've just found that for me things like 12v triggers, tone controls, and remote power buttons matter a good bit.

The amps look better in black.

TheMadMilkman fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 6, 2020

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I just ordered a pair of Revel F208s.

This is going to be loud and fun.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

A few thoughts:

The Technics SL-1500C is an excellent turntable complete with a phono preamp and a cartridge for $1200. You lose the speed and pitch control, but get a “classier” look.

If you really want to go the fully tubed route, the Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum III runs for $3k. You’ll have all the tube glow you could ever ask for.

The Wharfedale Linton Heritage is a great speaker with a definite vintage look. It does have a pretty substantial bass hump, but I never found it overwhelming when listening to them. For $1500 w/ the record holder stands, I think they’re overall a great deal.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

wa27 posted:

I don't see any problem with putting speakers inside the cubes.

It’s a really bad idea from a fidelity perspective. The open cabinet introduces resonances and diffraction effects.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Yes.

Any boundary close to the speaker (wall, bookshelf top, etc.) will have an effect, but the bookshelf top and the back wall is still a lot less than the wall, shelf, and 3 other sides of the cube.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Before I make some specific recommendations, what exactly is your goal here? I know, from the interior design thread, that you care about aesthetics and what not. But I’m not completely sure what your goals are for listening. Better sound for tv/movies? Casual listening? Critical listening? You’ve mentioned wanting to try your hand at electronic music... do you want speakers and a setup for that?

Also, how do you feel about really, really good headphones?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Okay, one more question. Are you actively married to the idea of using active speakers, or are you open to the idea of using passive speakers together with an integrated amp that has Bluetooth, a phono preamp, etc.?

And do you have any pictures of the wall where this is going to go? I’ve seen the other side of the room, but can’t recall if you’ve posted this side.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

On top is going to be better, ideally with the speaker placed at the very front of the cabinet. If you do have to put a speaker inside a cabinet, the recommendation is to fill the gap around the speaker with insulation. It's not a particularly attractive solution. And, depending on how you listen, you may not even care about how your speakers sound inside a cabinet. But this is the 2-channel thread, so comments will be made with an eye toward fidelity.

With how you want to do things, active speakers will work great. There just aren't that many choices with built-in phono preamps. Off the top of my head, there's the Kanto speakers you've looked at, the Peachtree M24/M25, and the new Klipsch The Fives/The Sixes.

There's also the option to switch to a turntable with a built-in phono preamp and connect that to a pair of powered speakers. This would open up speakers like the Audioengine HD6, if you liked them. The issue here is that your technics table is actually a really good piece of equipment, and you'd probably have to spend a decent chunk of change to get something that actually performs as well as it does.

From a visual perspective, I personally think that if you already have a turntable visible, you might as well have the speakers out as well. But I'm probably not the best person to ask on this one, given that I have two very large floorstanders in my main living space.

From a purely visual perspective, I think I really like the new Klipsch The Fives. They look good, and the walnut is attractive. Among your current choices for a cabinet, I'd go with the one from CB. The veneers on the Ikea ones just look (or are, depending on which piece) fake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I expect to see them pretty heavily discounted eventually. They’re just new and their supply chain is probably still a mess.