Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow

Chaucer posted:

Thanks for the advice, andretti. I will try to troubleshoot when I get everything situated. A proper stereo rack is arriving next week and I think I'll wait to tackle it then.

For cleaning your vinyl, have you tried using a record brush like this?
AVOID THOSE BRUSHES IF YOU VALUE YOUR RECORDS AND YOUR SANITY.

I bought one of those no name carbon fiber record brushes. After a few weeks of using it, all of my records began to sound like utter poo poo. As it turns out, the brush ended up shedding all over my record collection, and the microscopic fibers ended up getting embedded into the grooves of my LPs. I had to have them professionally cleaned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

"[panic posted:

"]
Does anyone make a new turntable that has a more vintage look, for under $200? I'm putting together a little hi-fi area, I have my receiver ready to go, but I don't know the first thing about turntables and I feel like I would do more good than harm by hitting the flea market and buying whatever looks cool.

If you really want to go retro, pick up one of these:
http://www.surplussales.com/Equipment/Audio.html

Nothing like a basswood tonearm.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

iamthejeff posted:

Found somebody selling this Sanyo TP-725 for $10. These aren't the pics, but it's the same model and everything. Anyone know anything about these Sanyo TTs? Google doesn't bring up much.

Sanyo made a few solid turntables the late 70's. Many were rebadged and sold as as Fisher. Sanyo acquired the Fisher name from Emerson, who bought the company from Avery Fisher in 1969. Unfortunately, a vast majority of Sanyo made "Fisher" equipment was utter poo poo, along the lines of soundesign or LLoyds, and ended soiling the reputation of Sanyo's other audio products, some of which were quite good. From what I know, the Fisher name is still being slapped on cheap garbage. A sad fate for a company that once made stuff on the level of HH Scott, McIntosh, and Marantz.

That table looks pretty nice. It may not be a Technics 1200, but it's definitely worth the $10 the seller wants for it.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Feb 1, 2011

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

cheese eats mouse posted:

This is a nice looking set, but it seems overpriced? What would you guys pitch for it? I was thinking 80-100.

http://louisville.craigslist.org/ele/2169730543.html

Also found an early 70s JVC. This green is different.

http://louisville.craigslist.org/ele/2189986822.html

Those speakers have a very interesting history, and, like all Leak stuff, are rare as hen's teeth here in the States.
http://www.44bx.com/leak/sandwich.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LEAK_Sandwich

The speaker cones are made from aluminized Styrofoam.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Feb 2, 2011

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Yea I was doing some research and it actually seems like a good deal.

Personally I'd go for it but as a Leak owner I'm probably not the most impartial.:v:

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Haha well I'm a big fan of all things from the UK, and owning a piece of history would cool. Good story for the handful of my audio geek friends. Knowing how slow the market on craigslist can be here in Louisville I have a good chance of nabbing them. I wanted it for the receiver mostly.

Leak stuff actually used to be a lot more common around here but Japanese audiophiles became obsessed with Leak in the early 90's and bought everything they could get their hands on.

The good thing is that you'll have no trouble finding a buyer for those speakers if you ever decide to part with them.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Christ, it's been a long time since I posted here. Have I posted here since I got my Altec Valencias?
I have a pair of Altec Valencia 846A "Iconics" now.

There is no better feeling then having the ability to piss off the entire cul-de-sac with two channels of 25W RMS true Tube Power, paired to speakers with an efficiency rating of something like 114db/w/yard.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Aug 5, 2016

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Jeza posted:

From here it looks like a Leak Point One Stereo on top of a Dynaco PAS-2. It's a little far away though to tell for certain.

Bingo! The PAS-2 is being used currently because the Leak Point One Stereo was a noisy pile of thin sounding British poo poo and my McIntosh MX114 needs to have all of its tantalum capacitors replaced and I'm too lazy to do it right now.

Also, I've been running old Chinese Milsurp EL34A's in the Leak Stereo 50 for the past four years. $40/quad from an ebay seller and the construction looks like it was made on old Phillips or Amperex tooling.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Aug 20, 2016

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

prim102 posted:

I've got a question about a couple of Akai reel-to-reel tape decks. My stepfather recently asked me if I wanted these and they're really cool and look brand new. I honestly don't think I would ever use them though and I know there are people, few they may be, who might be interested in these. My question is, can anyone here give me any kind of idea how much they're reasonably worth? One is an Akai X360DS (special is emblazoned on it, I'm assuming thats what the S is for) and the other is an Akai X1800SD. The 1800 has an 8 track player on the side and has the door, the 360 doesn't have its door. Otherwise they're in excellent physical shape. I don't know about mechanically because I don't have any reels, however when powered up, the lights come on and the wheels spin when buttons are pressed. These things had been boxed up for 30 years.

Anyway, any help is appreciated. I just don't want to give them away, but I don't want to ask some ridiculous amount either. Pic is attached.

PM me.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

evobatman posted:

This one is just too loving pretty! I picked it up way underpriced, so I'm not sure I can justify hanging on to it :(

B&O Beograms are so loving cool. It's just a shame that the cartridge options for most of them are so slim.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Hello thread. Long time, no post. I finally fixed the Pioneer PL-50 that my dad accidentally left running for two weeks while I was away a couple of years ago. The Delrin disc in the platter thrust bearing was basically reduced to plastic gunk, and the oil had hardened to a stiff, taffy like substance. Luckily, a guy on eBay started making new Delrin discs for the bearing. I disassembled the bearing, cleaned everything in an ultrasonic cleaner, replaced the thrust disc, and filled it with synthetic oil. The motor was actually fine because it uses a gravity feed oiling system, with an oil pot under the speed selector that feeds two tubes that connect to the top and bottom motor bearings, and holds a few ML's of oil. It's working great now. Cart is a 70's Stanton 500 body with a Jico Hyper-Elliptical stylus from LPgear, tracking at 1.5g.

The other turntables pictured are a couple of new low-medium low end Crosley/Pro-ject C3 and C6 turntables that I've done Preampectomies and other goofy mods after getting them cheap (like $20) from a couple of friends that bought them and quickly moved up to something better. As far as Crosley products go, they are actually worlds ahead of what they used to sell. They keep speed fine, the motors are well isolated physically, and the arms are economized versions of the Pro-ject Debut III arm, but their fatal flaw is the AWFUL built-in RIAA preamp that rendered both basically useless to the original owners. The C-6 came with a "factory installed" ground loop. The C-3's preamp never worked, and introduced noise from the switching power supply it came with, even when the preamp bypass switch was enabled. Eliminate the Preamps, install a couple of good quality RCA jacks wired directly to the tonearm wires, a ground wire, and ground the tonearm, and they actually aren't half bad, if you don't mind not having anti-skate.

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Jul 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Keret posted:

So, when it rains it pours, as they say. I've suddenly ended up with quite a lot of audio equipment in my little apartment.

I went ahead with the swap of my Sonos for the JBL 4412A pair and the Yamaha receiver. They're heavy as gently caress, but drat, these things sound nice. I've never used monitors before, so it was really cool to hear all of the different layers that I'd never heard before in a song. They're super clear. The flat EQ was a bit strange at first, but I actually quite like it now that I've gotten used to it. The cones seem to be just fine on both, but the foam around the woofers definitely needs to be replaced. Apparently I can do it myself; have any of you DIYed a foam replacement before?

Simultaneously, I also happened to find a gorgeous old Motorola tube console on Craigslist for a pretty good price. It's a 3-channel which apparently Motorola made a bunch of various models of back in the day (mine says it was made in September 1960), with mids/highs on Left/Right and bass on the Center channel, plus a separate channel called "Vibrasonic," which is a dedicated Reverb. It's insanely, outrageously heavy and crammed full of vacuum tubes and big, beefy old Jensen speakers (the center cabinet houses a seriously chunky 15" subwoofer). It sounds fantastic, though unsurprisingly a bit more muddy than the JBLs, but that's kind of unfair I guess given that they're studio monitors. It's got a few quirks that I'll need to get looked at: weird reverb-y popping when I switch sources and intermittent crackling through the speakers, plus the record changer doesn't work, but for being almost 60 years old it's in incredibly good shape!

I'm currently trying to decide now if I'll fix up the JBLs and sell them and just use the Moto, or for the Super Decadence option, just keep everything and hook my various inputs into a switcher and swap between the two depending on my mood. Either way I'll need to figure out a way to float my turntable above the console so it doesn't get shaken around by the built-in speakers. I thought about getting a C-shape table for it, but I'll likely just try to build an 18"x18" shelf instead and mount it to the wall.

Oh man, I have some experience with the 3 channel Motorola consoles of the Early 60's. Send me a PM.