Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
I have a Technics sl1210 mk2 turntable and was wondering what cartridges are better suited for music than what I've got. I've got a Shure M447 and I always thought it sounded a bit harsh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
after reading reviews for both, I think I'm going to pick up the Denon. So what is the hype of a MC?

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Pibborando San posted:

Google "moving magnet vs moving coil" for some more insight from owners. Some people's tastes lean toward MM over MC so it's hardly open and shut, but the Denon's are regarded as pretty special.

Well only one way to find out. I have to recover from Christmas before I get one, but I'm gettin' one for sure.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
My local music store went out of business, anyone know any good online sites to buy LP's from?

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

drat, Son. Thanks! Hope I don't spend too much now.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

MullardEL34 posted:

AVOID THOSE BRUSHES IF YOU VALUE YOUR RECORDS AND YOUR SANITY.

I bought one of those no name carbon fiber record brushes. After a few weeks of using it, all of my records began to sound like utter poo poo. As it turns out, the brush ended up shedding all over my record collection, and the microscopic fibers ended up getting embedded into the grooves of my LPs. I had to have them professionally cleaned.

so how does one clean them at home?

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
Just got my Denon DL110. WOW much better than the 774. I could tell instantly. The harshness went away. It sounds smoother than Barry White.
kingcobweb, if you've got the money, I would look into the Denon DL110 for a cartridge.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jan 8, 2009

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
My Technics 1210 MkII has a broke lifter thing that is on the tone arm. Is there anywhere I can get this piece without buying a whole new tone arm?
Excuse the dust, just pulled it out from a cabinet I had it in and it doesn't have a cover.

TooLShack posted:

Figured the issue out, appears the tone arm is bad. I followed the directions in this youtube and it's fixed for now.
Time to order a new tone arm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dddnksXI_LE

Jesus Christ, I just looked at this video and tried this test. Apparently the previous owner already loosened it, probably masking the bearing damage from however he broke the lift arm, and the bearing assembly definitely has been mangled. gently caress! I can't afford a god drat arm right now and I just want to play some music.

Aeka 2.0 fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Oct 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Holy poo poo, haha. That's pretty awesome.