Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Reposting from DIY fix it fast:

TVsVeryOwn posted:

I got some free speakers and one is only outputting from the tweeter. Assume I don't know anything about electronics or audio. Can/should I try to fix it myself?

eddiewalker posted:

I can see the torn foam surround on both the mid and the woofer from here.

You’ll probably be looking for generic replacement drivers from somewhere like PartsExpress, hoping there’s not also a problem with the crossover, and hoping the sound still roughly matches the other speaker when you’re done.

But its mate has no foam around the woofer and it still at least puts some sound out.

What's the crossover?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Don Dongington posted:

The crossover is a series of electronic components that splits the frequencies between each speaker. If one of those components is gone, it could account for the issue, or the drivers could basically be hosed or have been unplugged.

Those speakers appear to have a bit of an EQ on the front which might make the wiring a little more complicated. At the minimum you're replacing both woofers and mid ranges, so if you're serious about it you might as well order some and plug them in, see if they work. They're usually spade connectors on the back, sometimes soldered. They're not super expensive speakers, I think Realistic was a budget Radio Shack brand, but they look like they'd probably go alright with some entry level Dayton audio drivers. The tweeter looks like a relatively decent unit, the enclosure looks like it's well put together, so if you're prepared to do the work you'll probably get some decent, fairly efficient speakers out of it.

Sweet. I've got two working Sansui S-30C's to tide me over. Using a JVC RX-5022VSL receiver. All free.
What should I be looking for in an entry level sub? I've got a single RCA out on my receiver that says subwoofer.

Edit: gently caress. I'm pricing out replacing those drivers and it looks like this free stereo is going to cost me almost CAD $200 after shipping and taxes. (RS100P-8 x2 and DC200-8 x2) I'm looking on solen.ca FWIW. IDK if anyone has another Canadian vendor. I just went off Dayton's vendor list.

Papa Was A Video Toaster fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Feb 24, 2020

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

4 inch for the mid and 8 inch for the woofer. IDK why I picked the ones I did besides they were the right size.
As far as use case I just want the music loud enough that I can't hear my emotions.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Don Dongington posted:

Are you sure, because google is leading me to believe it's a 10 and a 5.

edit:

I'd say these are the parts you need.

https://www.parts-express.com/grs-10sfpc-b-10-square-frame-paper-cone-woofer-black--290-912 is a like for like replacement for your woofer.
Can't find a square frame mid but https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-ds135-8-5-designer-series-woofer-speaker--295-426 will fit.

I just used a ruler. I dumb. Thank you for helping my dumb rear end.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Ghostnuke posted:

why are you replacing the woofers instead of just refoaming them?

Because the straight busted one gives absolutely zero response on either the woofer or mid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

DoesNotCompute posted:

I'm absolutely pathological about wanting to repair and refurb cool old stuff but I can't imagine spending $200 in parts on speakers that were $360 in 1986 at Radioshack. $200 can get some very cool functioning speakers on the used market.

It turned out to be my receiver had some dead outputs. Less than 30 CAD at an electronics repair shop and I have a mostly functional 4 channel stereo. A bunch of the drivers need refoam, but the only one that sounds really bad currently I just unhooked.