Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prince Turveydrop
May 12, 2001

He was a veray parfit gentil knight.
here's my current stereo.

a Marantz 2245 receiver

paired to Axiom M22 V2 speakers

i bought the receiver for a little over $300. it was recently restored and it sounds great. i love the metal front and the FM tuner sounds fantastic when i care to use it. recommended to anyone looking for a classy 2-channel system with knobs and dials instead of a light show every time you turn it on.

looking to complement it with a pro-ject debut iii turntable to round out the set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prince Turveydrop
May 12, 2001

do the pro-jects always come with the dust lid top? i'm buying one after christmas.

Prince Turveydrop
May 12, 2001

I just bought a Pro-ject Xpression III for my Marantz 2245 receiver. One of the reasons I got this receiver was because they were made during the heyday of vinyl and would come with a really nice phonostage built-in.

I hooked it up and it sounds like garbage. Distortion all over the place. The cartridge was professionally installed for me and I got to listen to it before I left the store. It sounded great, but it's not nice at all at home. I worry the most likely scenario is a bad phono input. I won't know unless I get a pre-amp and hook it up to a different input. But, can anyone think of other things I can try?

Prince Turveydrop
May 12, 2001

Thanks for the advice, andretti. I will try to troubleshoot when I get everything situated. A proper stereo rack is arriving next week and I think I'll wait to tackle it then.

For cleaning your vinyl, have you tried using a record brush like this?

Prince Turveydrop
May 12, 2001

My 16-year-old component CD player died in a move. I have a Marantz 2245 powering Axiom m22 speakers. What's a good option if I'm crazy and willing to spend up to $400 on a near-dead format?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prince Turveydrop
May 12, 2001

Thanks everyone. I was looking at the NAD and Marantz CD5005, but the Onkyo is way more reasonable.