Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Not to mention all the jostling during shipping might have knocked a couple solder joints loose - in fact that's likely what happened.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

The actual continuous power output on those modern receivers is probably much lower than advertised.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Bluetooth speakers are generally self powered (active), and vintage receivers require passive speakers. They're fundamentally incompatible.

If you are dead set on using a vintage amp, you'd have to buy a Bluetooth receiver and hook it up to aux input on the receiver, and then string a bunch of speaker wire around your house to various passive speakers. Depending on your receiver this could mean only two.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

CDs were invented in the 1980s by the time 1970s brushed aluminum and wood panels were already on the way out. IIRC there were a few early CD players that had wood sides but none were brushed aluminum.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Try a different wall outlet?
Do you have anything like powerline ethernet adapters going?

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I never knew they made nice modern 2.1 AV receivers. That Onkyo looks nice. I have a 2.0 set up in the living room myself, but I am using an older surround receiver obviously. It at least detects what terminals have speakers wired up and defaults to stereo mode.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

please refrain from posting thoughts of logic and reason in regards to gear acquisition in the vintage thread, tia

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Abel Wingnut posted:

so i've got a marantz 2270 powering some l166s. it sounds great, but could it sound better with a power amp? are power amps necessary with older equipment? guess i really don't know what a power amp does or would help with

A receiver like your 2270 has an integrated amp in it. An integrated amp is a combination pre amp and power amp. The pre amp stage does a small bit of amplification (basically volume control), plus bass, mid and treble control. Then that signal is passed to the power amp stage where it’s amped up to drive your speakers. So you already technically have a power amp, it’s built into your receiver. All receivers have one.

Standalone power amps are used when you want to pair specific amp components. For example you’d buy a standalone pre amp and a power amp and hook them together. Or some receivers have a “pre out” jack on the back that lets you use your receiver as a pre amp (it outputs just the pre amp signal, bypassing the internal power amp) so you can hook it up to an external pre amp.

It basically lets you sperg our way more with your equipment.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

BigFactory posted:

What's even the point of a headphone jack on a tape deck? so you can listen to the levels on one input?

So you can listen to tapes without a receiver

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

All Stereos Matter

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

evobatman posted:

The funny thing is that the ad for it said "JAMO D265 SPEAKERS FOR SALE with amp", and it had a tiny blurry pic of the amp without any mention of what model it was in the text.

I have snagged some good gear this way as well.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I found a Sony GX900ES for $15 at the thrift store this weekend. It's nothing special looking but if it's as good as their other ES gear, it should make a nice little 2.0 set up.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Vintage is in the thread title

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I have a pair of white 77s I was using as rear surround satellites, but sadly the woofer in one of them is blown and finding a new one that fits the enclosure is pretty difficult.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Flaggy posted:

Well they look rad. Also, where did you get that Pumpkins box set?

That's the deluxe MCIS re-release from a few years back. Both the CD and vinyl boxes looked the same but considering its under a turntable, its likely the vinyl version. There were a lot of pressing issues with that release and unfortunately it sounds like complete piss.

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 29, 2019

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

inconsistent speeds like that is almost certainly bad caps

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Electric Bugaloo posted:

part of the fun here is finding old weird pieces and saving them from the dumpster and whatnot.

Yeah

I found this guy with a criminally low subscriber count that restores cheapy 90s boomboxes back to immaculate condition. My favorite part is how he pressure washes everything even the PCBs. But he re-lubes everything afterwards too. Also a really neat trick I haven't seen before is using car wax on the old plastic to give it a super gloss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NafF2VQNWLg

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I have always wondered exactly what tone knobs do on older/cheap equipment. Does it apply some kind of hardware EQ curve and the knob simply adjusts how pronounced it is? I imagine it's a super dead simple circuit

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Yeah they’re not insanely valuable but still quite sought after. Worth repairing

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

not being a hater at all but I always thought those feature badges were ugly as hell. the one on that marantz turntable is especially heinous.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

It's probably a worn belt. Belt replacement can range from extremely easy to insanely difficult, if you have to remove a million moving mechanisms to access the belts.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Who still makes new carts and needles now that shure is out. Do we just have AT and ortofon?

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Oh yeah - I forgot about Grado and Denon, maybe I assumed they were out too.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

The 1200 doesn't have a channel fader, does it? Just a pitch adjustment. The 1200 is quartz locked so no, the pitch adjust is not really needed except for beat matching and stuff.

That said, playing certain metal and psych music at a pitched down speed when you are stoned can be loving great lol. I want to get a reverb amp for this exact purpose, too.

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Oct 16, 2019

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Clean it up, better photos, lower your price, wait longer.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

he made a dumb joke and it went over both your heads, congrats on being idiots

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Jascum posted:

I looked at these, too. They also have the TRS balanced and XLR balanced inputs. If I wanted to avoid connection converters, are there any powered speakers with simple RCA inputs that you suggest?

I am a huge fan of audio engine https://audioengineusa.com/speakers/powered-speakers/

they are not monitors, so they're tuned more for enjoyment and might have a more satisfying low end than most similarly priced monitors.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

ReidRansom posted:

I'm looking for a decent but cheap set of powered speakers for my wife and I to give her 13 yo niece for xmas. We had intended to give her a turntable of some sort last year but her parents said she probably wouldn't be into it. And then a few months later she asked if she could get one, haha. So we're getting her an AT-LP60 (and a bunch of carefully curated records) since we don't care for any of the all in one options and want something that would be a decent-ish turntable for her parents to keep around even if she loses interest and leaves it behind when she eventually moves off to college or whatever. We don't want to go crazy on speakers though. Something sub $60 would be ideal. Any recs?

these would probably fit the bill https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=36571

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

in my day i had to dub cassettes from the public library, nobody was buying me albums

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Love me some 70s aesthetic but it’s hard to go wrong with Sony ES

Is the volume knob motorized?

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Does increasing the attenuator reduce the volume then?

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Don Dongington posted:

Because the lunatics (engineers) were running the asylum I'd guess. That's how you wind up with fantastic Hi Fi gear that makes no sense to the average consumer.

It's a shame Sony lurched so far in the other direction during the Plastic Bullshit SUPA WOOFA era.

Growing up in the 90s and into the 2000s, I had only seen Sony equipment that belonged in that latter category. I assumed they were just another crappy consumer brand, and it wasn’t until I got into hifi stuff much, much later that I realized they made some really good stuff.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I dunno, it just seems kinda funny to me that a retail release has a blurb permanently imprinted on it about buying it on other formats.

It used to be a lot more common than it is now. Some old releases have the entire back cover reserved for record label promotions, and only a small section for the track list.

I think the idea was that if you saw it at a store but you didn't own a record player, you could ask the store to order you a copy on another format. being on a gravediggaz album is kind of lol tho

Artists having complete control over album packaging used to be the exception, not the rule.

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 16, 2020

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Time to upgrade my Shure m97xe after 8 years of faithful use. I have wanted an AT440MLA for a long time, but it looks like they are succeeded by the newer VM540ML. My main goal is to reduce IGD as much as possible, which I was told the 440 was very good at. I am wondering if I should consider any other cartridges in that price range ($250 usd)?

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

polyester concept posted:

Time to upgrade my Shure m97xe after 8 years of faithful use. I have wanted an AT440MLA for a long time, but it looks like they are succeeded by the newer VM540ML. My main goal is to reduce IGD as much as possible, which I was told the 440 was very good at. I am wondering if I should consider any other cartridges in that price range ($250 usd)?

I ended up getting the VM540ML.

Trip report: it owns. A step up from my 8-year old shure, but hard to compare side by side since the shure is most definitely worn at this point.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Looking to recap a set of speakers and I am having trouble finding an 18uF bipolar capacitor on digikey. Would it make a huge difference if I went down to 15uF or up to 22uF instead?

Edit: I guess I can put a 15uf and a 3.3uf in parallel.

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jun 9, 2020

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

large hands posted:

That sounds more like an issue with your previous cartridge/stylus than something you need to spend hundreds to fix. Not that I have a problem with expensive cartridges, but stuff like that shouldn't be an issue on a decent inexpensive one.

No, I had the same problem with my old Shure which wasn't even that cheap to begin with. I was even obsessive about it and tried all different kinds of alignment devices and everything. I wasn't getting terrible sibilance but it was worse on certain records and especially noticeable at the end of each side. It wasn't TERRIBLE but was enough to bother me when I was listening to the details. The VM540ML fixed it all.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I have a 2230 and a 2225 that I’ve been procrastinating doing a recap job on for years - It’s tempting to order a kit from irebuildmarantz.com but I could never justify the extra cost especially when I’m going to be taking the boards out anyway so I might as well just do my own inventory.

I’ve done a few amps in the past, and I always just copied the exact capacitance value, and like he ^^ said, only go up in voltage if you need to. I also replaced the caps 1:1 with what’s on the board, because vintage schematics can have errors (though there are websites that catalog all known errors). I’m not smart enough to analyze the circuit and make improvements with modern components, but I wish I was. I suppose there is also merit in keeping the design “original”, flaws and all.

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jul 1, 2020

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

IKEA's fjallbo shelf unit works and looks great as a stereo console:

Mine is a little untidy but you get the idea.

And it's CHEAP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

Listerine posted:

How stable is that on the carpet?

the vinyl in the bottom cabinet makes it very bottom heavy, it doesn't feel like anything is going to topple over at all.